Texas Hunting Forum

Bed or Shim?

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Bed or Shim? - 05/02/18 11:41 PM

I have a stock with aftermarket bottom metal. I dropped my action in the stock and everything is cool until I put in a magazine. The bolt is rubbing the top of the mag to the point that I can barely cycle the action. So do I bed the action to give some relief or shim the bottom metal? And if I do shim it, what's the best way?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 12:15 AM

Shim it with washers to find the correct distance. Leave it that way, or bed it later. Shimming with washers I've done several times, and no one can see it.

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 12:20 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Shim it with washers to find the correct distance. Leave it that way, or bed it later. Shimming with washers I've done several times, and no one can see it.

I figured that would be the easiest way to do it. Now I need to find some tactical washers. rifle
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:06 AM

I have some fde ones and doo doo brown ones for sale for $75 and a chick fil A beanie babie

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I have some fde ones and doo doo brown ones for sale for $75 and a chick fil A beanie babie

Man, that's tempting but I'm looking for better quality washers than those. Maybe some LaRue or Seekins washers. I want to spend at least $300.

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Man, that's tempting but I'm looking for better quality washers than those. Maybe some LaRue or Seekins washers. I want to spend at least $300.

I'll build you some custom ones out of aluminum. Tell me what I.D. and O.D. you want, and they will be within .001".

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:41 AM

I'll build you some custom ones out of aluminum. Tell me what I.D. and O.D. you want, and they will be within .001".

Hell yeah, I love custom equipment. If you make them for me, I'm gonna need the THF Match Sponsor discount, the Mutual Hot Wife discount, the Constantly Entertaining Garvey discount, Military discount....basically you'll owe me $126.73 when you're finished with my tactical washers. You have my address. I'll expect them by Tuesday.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:42 AM

Now that’s a businessman.

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:43 AM

I have matching set of gen 1 noveske washers dipped in GAP koolaid that are TAF.

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:53 AM

Hell yeah, I love custom equipment. If you make them for me, I'm gonna need the THF Match Sponsor discount, the Mutual Hot Wife discount, the Constantly Entertaining Garvey discount, Military discount....basically you'll owe me $126.73 when you're finished with my tactical washers. You have my address. I'll expect them by Tuesday.

lol35

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:53 AM

I have matching set of gen 1 noveske washers dipped in GAP koolaid that are TAF.

Lmao roflmao I forgot about Noveske. I'll take all you have in stock. Hit me up on PayPal bro.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 01:57 AM

popcorn This is funny as chit.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

X2

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 02:00 AM

I only except iTunes and green dot cards

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 02:01 AM

Well, what do you expect from those two?
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 02:04 AM

Well, what do you expect from those two?

Absolutely nothing less...

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/03/18 02:05 AM

I only except iTunes and green dot cards

I have a girl down the skreet that will let you use her Lonestar Card. You down playa? It's 2-1 cash to credick.
Posted By: Olshovel

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/05/18 04:03 PM

This post while funny was also extremely helpful! the Howa 308 that I have been playing around eith had the exact same problem. My solution was a little more redneck! I was using an AICS Pmag and just sanded down the feed lips till they cleared. They still hold the rounds in and clear the bolt. I just ordered a 19 round steel mag and will be making the adjustment that you guys talked about here. Then I can go ahead and finally bed the action. Thanks for the helpful info guys.
Posted By: Olshovel

Re: Bed or Shim? - 05/05/18 04:04 PM

10 round steel mag, not a 19 rounder!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum