Texas Hunting Forum

Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help

Posted By: shumpertdavid

Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/01/18 04:41 AM

I've not been able to pin point the model of this .38 Smith & Wesson revolver. It fits certain parts of the model 2 and 3 bit doesn't have all the characteristics of either. It's a single action 5 shot (I believe, been a little while since I've looked at it). Grips are real ivory, cylinder locks up tight, and action feels good. I haven't fired it and not sure I have any ammo at the moment. Mainly just trying to get a positive I.d. for my records and possibly a value as well. I can get take more photos and info if needed.

Thank you, David

Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/01/18 08:22 AM

1st model (a.k.a. Baby Russian)?

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/01/18 02:34 PM

Doesn't appear to be a "Baby Russian" based on the photo's I've seen
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/01/18 02:40 PM

send these pictures and S# to Smith and Wesson, they can tell you for sure about your gun.

you will get some good guesses here.

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/01/18 03:00 PM

Thank you buzzsaw, I sent a request to Smith & Wesson, I'll report any findings they send back.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/01/18 06:04 PM

Third model has the trigger guard.

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/03/18 02:38 AM

Smith & Wesson said it was manufactured 1876-1877 and recommended I visit the Smith & Wesson historical foundation for more information. I'll either post in their forums for info or send of the required information and $75 for a letter of authenticity

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/30/18 12:24 AM

General consensus is that it's a "New Model 3" which looks to match the other google images I found. One thing I didn't notice until my last group of photos was that the front sight blade had artwork. Upon posting those photos, the Barber Dime was mentioned, but didn't match google images. The Barber Quarter, however, looked to be correct.

Posted By: luv2brode

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 05/30/18 12:48 AM

new model 3 gets my vote
I have baby Russian (no trigger guard)
had to but some 38 s&w ammo so I could shoot it. shoots well but due to age I wont shoot it again
thinking about selling it to someone that collects

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 09/20/18 06:54 PM

I forgot about this thread, I received my letter June 28, 2018

Model #3 Target chambered in 38-44, it shipped from the factory Feb, 19, 1894 and sold to Ira Mournian. It shipped with 6.5" barrel, adjustable rear target sights, nickel finish, and ivory grips.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Smith & Wesson top break I.d. Help - 09/20/18 08:24 PM

Awesome.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum