Texas Hunting Forum

DIY Rifle Bedding?

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 12:27 AM

I wanna give it a try, but I'd hate to screw up new Manners. Or glue something together permanently. Any tips or tricks? What bedding compound do ya'll like?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 01:47 AM

You can watch three or four youtube videos and get the main points...it's really not all that complicated.

I think Marine Tex is the favored epoxy these days, but just about any good two-part epoxy should work. If you choose Acra-Glas, get the gel formulation.

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 01:48 AM

I use Johnson's Paste Wax as a release agent. Works fine.
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 01:56 AM

Here are some utube Glassbedding vidieos

First I sand prep and clean stock.
Then mask and apply release agent on the metal.
As far as the bedding agent I like a thick material.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

This is what I used.

Do you have any less expensive rifles around to practice on? Old savage 110s can be had for $250-300 if you don’t and they make great project rigs.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 02:05 AM

Pc7 and cheap kiwi wax based shoe polish in the tin works well. I used to use devcon and marine tex but last 10+ rifles I've done for myself and people I can't tell a single difference. Comes out to about $7 a rifle.
Posted By: BIGDOG1956

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 02:08 AM

Brownels release agent is better.

I have proof marks visible in the bedding material.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 02:11 AM

Same stuff I have used most
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
I wanna give it a try, but I'd hate to screw up new Manners. Or glue something together permanently. Any tips or tricks? What bedding compound do ya'll like?

you are brave grasshopper. sounds like fun though, I would like to try but not on a $650 stock welcome
Posted By: Pupjoint

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 03:29 AM

I'd be scared that I would booger the stock,no bueno

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 03:39 AM

Ya'll are right. I am definitely scared to test it out on a nice stock.

BUT....I have 2 factory stocks to practice on and there's a beer store right down the street.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 03:48 AM

BUT....I have 2 factory stocks to practice on and there's a beer store right down the street.
up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 03:50 AM

roflmao

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 06:08 AM

Well then. You are good to go!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 11:45 AM

wth, if you can reload ammo, you should be able to do, just follow very simple directions
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 02:01 PM

If you have your stuff organized you will be fine. Make a dry run or two on assembly before the real deal. When you think you have put on enough release agent put a little more.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 05:55 PM

I've got a 22 Mag you could practice on if you're interested. I'm on the fence on that thing. I can't decide to keep trying to get it to shoot good, sell it, or use it to drive T-posts. Maybe we could add a stage to the LR match. Who can javelin this thing the farthest.
Posted By: trigger time

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 07:07 PM

Go get some modeling clay to fill all the voids in your action. I use turtle wax as a release agent, including on the clay. Tape off your stock and have lots o q tips handy for cleaning the excess. As for the bedding either marine tex gray, or devcon steel is good. Arc glass is crap for bedding, but it works great to hold knife handles on. Just take your time and don't get in a hurry, it's not hard just tedious. Oh, and let it sit a full 12 plus hours before you take it out.

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
wth, if you can reload ammo, you should be able to do, just follow very simple directions

I've been known to occasionally make a slight miscalculation. That's how I ended up with 3 kids. Two of those were "my bad".
Posted By: Cast

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 09:31 PM

All my most accurate rifles are pillar bedded. I rarely full length bed them. Pillar is very effective and much easier.
Posted By: Judd

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 10:37 PM

I've been known to occasionally make a slight miscalculation. That's how I ended up with 3 kids. Two of those were "my bad".

That sounds more like an ammo problem than a bedding issue lol35

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd

That sounds more like an ammo problem than a bedding issue lol35

Hahaha. It's a failure to follow instructions, as my buddy colt45 mentioned. Both times she told me "make sure you pul....nevermind.
Posted By: Judd

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 11:32 PM

rofl
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/24/18 11:50 PM

roflmao
Posted By: patriot07

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/25/18 01:09 AM

This thread took a turn.

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/25/18 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
This thread took a turn.

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Of course it did. It's my thread. smile ani

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/25/18 01:40 AM

YoureTheReasonTheadsTurn.

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/25/18 01:42 AM

YoureTheReasonTheadsTurn.

Lmao roflmao
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/26/18 02:25 AM

Please take some pics and update on how it went. I have a bdl wood stick I'd like to pillar and glass bed. I'd like to know what you learned through the process as approached from a newbie perspective since thars where I'll be coming from too.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: DIY Rifle Bedding? - 04/26/18 02:58 AM

i just did my first DIY job on my Manners EH1-A -- was terrified that i was going to screw it up. Turned out fine and group size shrunk from 1 moa to 1/4 moa. Just make sure you really prep the stock well and use a good release agent such as Neutral Kiwi shoe polish.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum