Texas Hunting Forum

Tuneup of the new 686 plus

Posted By: 603Country

Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/21/18 12:14 AM

Recently I mentioned that I bought a S&W 686 Plus to take the shooting load off of my Colt Python. The grandkids burn a lot of 38 and 357. Out of the box, the 686 was good to shoot, but not as smooth as the Python, which is expected to be the case. I shot better with the Python in DA and SA. Unique Guns in Waco had recently done some work for me on my Beretta, so I had them work on the 686 to sharpen up the SA trigger pull and smooth out the DA pull. Well...I sure got my money’s worth. The trigger in DA and SA is now as good as the Python. I can’t yet make myself say it’s better than the Python, but it may be better in DA mode.

Tomorrow I start reloading 500+ rounds for the 9mm, 38, and 357. Gotta get it done before the grandkids show up again.

I like Unique Guns...
Posted By: hetman

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/21/18 12:25 AM

worthless

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/21/18 12:38 AM

Good grief hetman, it’s just a SS 686 with a 4 inch barrel. Google up a picture.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/21/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: hetman
worthless

Here you go, HETMAN:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_686
Posted By: hetman

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/22/18 10:21 PM

as much as he was bragging I thought the plus must have been diamond plating. No worries ,nice pistol- carry on

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/22/18 10:32 PM

Well, it’s no Python, but it’s still pretty good. While I was reloading today, I did some shooting at splatter type targets at about 15 yards. Later I told the wife to check out the target. She said “show off”.
Posted By: mikei

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/23/18 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Well, it’s no Python, but it’s still pretty good. While I was reloading today, I did some shooting at splatter type targets at about 15 yards. Later I told the wife to check out the target. She said “show off”.

Well, now, 603Country, with that reply, I'll have to do this: worthless We want to see bullet holes in splatter type targets, thank you very much. :-)
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/23/18 01:37 AM

I'd rather have a slick 686 than a Python, myself. The Smith is a better gun, IMO.

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/23/18 01:48 AM

I’ve long been a Python fan, so maybe I’m just biased. I suppose i need to take them both to the bench and see which one i can shoot best now. I will admit that i really do like the new 686. Not as shiny as the Python though. Better grip, for sure. Worse hammer.

As for pictures, i still have never posted a picture. I suppose i need to learn how eventually.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/23/18 03:06 AM

To give the Python its due, the good ones really are works of art. Beautifully finished and finely tuned. I just don't think they're as tough as a 686.
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/23/18 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
To give the Python its due, the good ones really are works of art. Beautifully finished and finely tuned. I just don't think they're as tough as a 686.

Love Pythons. I have spent serious money trying to find a Python that would shoot as well as my Trooper or model 19. Gave up.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/23/18 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

I've got a couple of Pythons and a few Smiths. Smiths seem to take the edge in the accuracy and durability category's but the Colt beats them hands down on fit, feel and looks. Colt has a single cylinder locking point while the Smith has two, I won't make it a habit of shooting full house loads through the Pythons, no problem with the Smiths 686. It's a work horse! Pythons tend to be safe queens.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Tuneup of the new 686 plus - 04/26/18 03:44 PM

I'm a big fan of both the 686 and the Ruger GP-100. Both can run full house loads, full time. Not many revolvers can do that.

Plus, Colts are out of my price range nowadays.........
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum