Texas Hunting Forum

U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/13/18 09:31 PM

The U.S. Marine Corps is replacing its existing sniper rifles with a newer model that fires a heavier, longer-range bullet. The new Mark 13 Mod 7 sniper rifle, a favorite of Navy SEALs is replacing the older M40 series of rifles. The result is a more accurate rifle with the potential to hit targets at nearly three quarters of a mile.
The M40 series of sniper rifles has served the Marine Corps for more than 50 years. Originally introduced during the Vietnam War, the Marine Corps purchased commercial Remington Model 40X bolt-action varmint rifles with heavy barrels, slapped on a Redfield 3-9x variable power scope, and gave them the designation M40. The M40 served in the Vietnam War and every conflict since then, progressively upgraded with new features such as a new Remington 700 action, fiberglass stocks, new optics, and other shooting accessories.
Despite the upgrades, the M40 series was limited by the ballistics of the .308 Winchester round. Although an effective hunting and military round, a.308 round rapidly loses energy after 700 yards. At 600 yards, a sniper armed with a M40 can expect a bullet to drop 105 inches short of the target, requiring upward compensation of 105 inches to remain on target. At 800 yards the drop balloons to 228 inches, and at 1,000 yards the drop is 421 inches. This loss of energy also affects wind drift, with .308 requiring 53 inches of wind correction in a five mile-per-hour wind to hit a target at 1,000 yards. The M40 series’ maximum effective range is about 1,000 yards.

more:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-mar...ocid=spartandhp
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/13/18 09:33 PM

There are still units shooting M16s and M4s came out a long time ago so I doubt the majority of units will see these anytime soon.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/13/18 10:40 PM

$4.3MM bucks for less than 400 rifles? Did i read that right?

The young Army Captain that was here recently said that a lot of the old style M16’s are still in service. And he personally didn’t yet have the new service handgun.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 02:24 AM

They're allegedly being issued with NF ATACR scopes, so that's another $3k-ish on top of the rifle price, or maybe $4k-$5k per gun depending on what the conditions of the contract were.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 02:33 AM

I'm glad they are going to the 300 Win Mag!

"The Marines plan to purchase 346 Mark 13 Mod 7 rifles for $4.3 million". That's $12,427 per rifle!! Somethings not right.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

"The Marines plan to purchase 346 Mark 13 Mod 7 rifles for $4.3 million". That's $12,427 per rifle!! Somethings not right.
they must have paid a lot for extended warranties on each lol
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 04:09 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

clap
Posted By: dee

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 04:22 AM

Wonder if they will run the nightforce t3 combos or stick with their Schmidt's and Premier's?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 11:40 AM

And that is government spending.

Lower level, the same happens. The city spent $250,000 on a station remodel. Those of us that have been in construction for a long time said "yeah, that remodel is really worth $50,000. And the $250k end product is an absolute joke.
Posted By: 9x19

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Lower level, the same happens. The city spent $250,000 on a station remodel. Those of us that have been in construction for a long time said "yeah, that remodel is really worth $50,000. And the $250k end product is an absolute joke.

Can't speak for city funds, but I spent most of my career in the USAF working the darker side of things. There are lots of development programs that do not need to be common knowledge for every freshman congressman. The way those often get funded is by paying $200 for a toilet seat, or $500 for a screwdriver. Back then a lot of contracts had a line item for "Overhead" that was a general fund type expense, but often got transferred to other things. I worked a program one time that got it's funding out of an Army contract. When the Army failed to impress the congress with their progress on that program, their funding was frozen... our over-sight folks had to scramble a bit to get our funding restored.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 06:14 PM

I believe this is not just for the rifle, its the scope, mounts, Cleaning kit and Pelican hard case. Probably some other things I left out.
The rifles are built by Naval Surface Warfare Center. Maybe the Navy is trying to make a few dollars on the side.LOL

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 06:48 PM

$12,247

$4000 rifle (being generous)

$2500 scope (military discount for large order)

$150 Pelican (large order again)

$400 scope mount

= $7050

What covers the other $5,197 ?
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 06:50 PM

Fishing trips, probably. That’s what that kind of money buys out here.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 07:02 PM

in Austin the city government will spend millions to do a study for 1 million dollar project hammer
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/14/18 07:26 PM

$12,247

$400 scope mount

= $7050

Paperwork.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 02:11 AM

Part of the deal in these pricing are things like qa/qc and other compliance. We as a nation are asking young men to do some highly dangerous things with a tool that can literally save lives. These stringent criteria and the testing dollars are sometimes required to ensure these standards are met all cost dollars.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 02:16 AM

More jokingly. Some of u a holes get up to 7-9k real fast on a rifle system. I don't know in all cases but I read an article on the large frame ar 308 by knights. What teal described was the case for that rifle, literally everything but ammo was included. Oh yes, that one came with a can I believe. I wonder if this new 300wm comes with one.

A tricked out 300wm similar to this is on my fantasy, but one day attainable, gun list.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Part of the deal in these pricing are things like qa/qc and other compliance. We as a nation are asking young men to do some highly dangerous things with a tool that can literally save lives. These stringent criteria and the testing dollars are sometimes required to ensure these standards are met all cost dollars.

But yet again, the private sector does a better job than government. There is no mystery, or any R and D that the government needs to do with the .300 Win Mag, it has all be done, by the private sector, decades before, and continually since inception.

I read an article about it last year, I think. All this "earth shattering news" the government discovered about bullet weights and what powders to use in the .300 Win Mag. And the whole time reading I was waiting on the earth shattering news. Hunters and long range shooters knew all that many years before they "discovered" it. And even, with the parameters they were living within, I'd put Chad up against them with his .300 Win Mag knowledge every day of the week and twice on Sunday. In the end, he will win, farther, faster, more energy, and more precise shooting.

As per usual, the government is way behind, but we tax payers have to foot the bill for them to catch up.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 03:47 PM

It was in American Rifleman, the article I read anyway. It was exactly that, the military discovering the treasure of the 300 WM. Now, correct me where I'm wrong but the Mk 13 is on a Stiller action which is an R700 clone. The M40 is a 700 as well. So, at the heart of it the new rifle is a caliber change, right or wrong?

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 04:45 PM

It is or at least the last iteration was on the stiller. I believe seals and socom went 300norma now.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

clap

There's a lot of ways to run up a bill, not only spare parts, but spare parts on hand for 30+ years, all the lawyers involved on both sides, all the BS red tape, BS govt meetings, travel, initial testing demo costs, tons of things drive these up
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 11:32 PM

But yet again, the private sector does a better job than government. There is no mystery, or any R and D that the government needs to do with the .300 Win Mag, it has all be done, by the private sector, decades before, and continually since inception.

I read an article about it last year, I think. All this "earth shattering news" the government discovered about bullet weights and what powders to use in the .300 Win Mag. And the whole time reading I was waiting on the earth shattering news. Hunters and long range shooters knew all that many years before they "discovered" it. And even, with the parameters they were living within, I'd put Chad up against them with his .300 Win Mag knowledge every day of the week and twice on Sunday. In the end, he will win, farther, faster, more energy, and more precise shooting.

As per usual, the government is way behind, but we tax payers have to foot the bill for them to catch up.

I don't know man. No disrespect intended to anybody, but our best are damn good. They shoot the platform they are supplied with a lot and milk it for all it's worth. They know it inside out. They Operate in an arena where if they miss, their target returns fire. Going to the range and shooting spots for fun does not compare. Although overpriced, the new sniper rifle our marines are purchasing is top shelf. Topped with a NF and Horus reticle will give them ability to dial or quickly hold elevation and wind. When they get it in their hands, it will not take our boys long to master the new platform. Anyone who can beat our best at their game, is elite among world class snipers.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/15/18 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Smokey Bear

I don't know man. No disrespect intended to anybody, but our best are damn good. They shoot the platform they are supplied with a lot and milk it for all it's worth. They know it inside out. They Operate in an arena where if they miss, their target returns fire. Going to the range and shooting spots for fun does not compare. Although overpriced, the new sniper rifle our marines are purchasing is top shelf. Topped with a NF and Horus reticle will give them ability to dial or quickly hold elevation and wind. When they get it in their hands, it will not take our boys long to master the new platform. Anyone who can beat our best at their game, is elite among world class snipers.

Not to take away from what they do or can do the big branches (ie non sf) practice and shoot very little in comparison to team guys and are far less efficient.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: dee

Not to take away from what they do or can do the big branches (ie non sf) practice and shoot very little in comparison to team guys and are far less efficient.

Yup.

Shot against Army Snipers before. They did well, in a pool of 120 shooters. Placed in the mid 50's I believe. Showed up with their .308's the first year, and their .300 Win Mags the second. The second year didn't gain them a wide margin of a higher standing.

Not taking anything away from them. They have to sneak in, endure brutal conditions, and zero creature comforts. They have to be observers and reporters for days on end. And yes, their targets might shoot back. But in this thread, we are talking ballistics, and shooting.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 02:24 AM

No, we are talking about the new battle weapon that is being purchased for our marine snipers, at a staggering per unit cost, to protect American soldiers from long range. Then you took the discussion to civilian target shooters somehow being superior to our US Marine Corp snipers, which I find offensive.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 02:53 AM

No, we are talking about the new battle weapon that is being purchased for our marine snipers, at a staggering per unit cost, to protect American soldiers from long range. Then you took the discussion to civilian target shooters somehow being superior to our US Marine Corp snipers, which I find offensive.

You should be offended. Your $5000 of your tax dollers were spent on what? Per rifle system?

And by the way, the week of my death, there will be 24 hour casket gaurd by Firemen and Police officers, a U.S. flag over my casket, and a full honors funeral with Taps, and Amazing Grace via bagpipes. I've attended, guarded the casket, and folded the flag for more than I care to recount.

Same as a Marine. So I get a say. And I am offended that you would say otherwise.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 02:11 PM

$12,247

$400 scope mount

= $7050

I agree, there is definitely something missing. Maybe extra barrels, suppressors, NV/Thermal included as well?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 03:18 PM

Anyone asking about the price of a $12k rifle that's $7k on the open market doesn't have an understanding of government contracts.

ETA: When you go buy the rifle at the store (or online), do you require the vendor to show proof of verification with all specifications? Do you ask to know the lot number and testing cert for the material used to make the barrel and/or action? Do you require documentation showing competitive bids for each component? Do you require a detailed cost breakdown of each component and an explanation for why it costs as much as it does?

You're comparing apples and oranges. I've seen where contractors paid $600 for a bolt for a government contract when they knew they could get the same thing at tractor supply for $1. It's just a different set of requirements. You're not really paying for the gun. You're paying for the gun and all the proof that it is what you say it is.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 05:04 PM

^^Which means it is a flawed system full of bureaucratic waste.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 05:36 PM

^^Which means it is a flawed system full of bureaucratic waste.

Legalized theft from the taxpayers...
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
Anyone asking about the price of a $12k rifle that's $7k on the open market doesn't have an understanding of government contracts.

ETA: When you go buy the rifle at the store (or online), do you require the vendor to show proof of verification with all specifications? Do you ask to know the lot number and testing cert for the material used to make the barrel and/or action? Do you require documentation showing competitive bids for each component? Do you require a detailed cost breakdown of each component and an explanation for why it costs as much as it does?

You're comparing apples and oranges. I've seen where contractors paid $600 for a bolt for a government contract when they knew they could get the same thing at tractor supply for $1. It's just a different set of requirements. You're not really paying for the gun. You're paying for the gun and all the proof that it is what you say it is.

This is what you see in aviation maintenance also. Each and every part used must be certified as an aircraft part. Facilities must meet standards, and documentation must back it up. Calibration of equipment used must be documented. There are records for EVERYTHING, and a good deal of work goes into ensuring and documenting compliance...right down to shelf life items such as silicone sealant. It makes aircraft maintenance extremely expensive, but it also makes flying as safe as it is. If I was going into battle, I'd like to know that my equipment is as good as it can possibly be. Our military deserves nothing less.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 06:11 PM

$12,247

$400 scope mount

= $7050

Bullets you gotta have bullets and we all know Chad's bullets ain't cheap.......LOL

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/16/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

This is what you see in aviation maintenance also. Each and every part used must be certified as an aircraft part. Facilities must meet standards, and documentation must back it up. Calibration of equipment used must be documented. There are records for EVERYTHING, and a good deal of work goes into ensuring and documenting compliance...right down to shelf life items such as silicone sealant. It makes aircraft maintenance extremely expensive, but it also makes flying as safe as it is. If I was going into battle, I'd like to know that my equipment is as good as it can possibly be. Our military deserves nothing less.

You guys do realize these guns are built in house right?
Posted By: bo3

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:27 AM

You should be offended. Your $5000 of your tax dollers were spent on what? Per rifle system?

And by the way, the week of my death, there will be 24 hour casket gaurd by Firemen and Police officers, a U.S. flag over my casket, and a full honors funeral with Taps, and Amazing Grace via bagpipes. I've attended, guarded the casket, and folded the flag for more than I care to recount.

Same as a Marine. So I get a say. And I am offended that you would say otherwise.

You are not the same as a marine. Im a fellow firefighter and I am appalled by this. No one is here to thank you for your service. I have friends and family that are Marines, they are on a different level then us. Firefighter does not equal marine.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:42 AM

You have a say too. You are a tax payer.

There's +/- 100 of us die each year, not even including suicide, which unfortunately is overcomimg LODD.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:46 AM

Whose house?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:51 AM

Whose house?

Big brothers

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:54 AM

There's +/- 100 of us die each year, not even including suicide, which unfortunately is overcomimg LODD.

Im a taxpayer ans I have a say. However I will not put us on the same level as a marine. How many Marines died last year? How many committted suicide last year?

You can't compare gamers in a game to these guys. Its a different skill set.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: bo323

Im a taxpayer ans I have a say. However I will not put us on the same level as a marine. How many Marines died last year? How many committted suicide last year?

My job isn't a game. I don't know about yours. I've already addressed we're talking about rifles, and again, the government is behind the curve on what they're issuing to these guys. And it is costing more money than it should.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 02:27 AM

My job isn't a game. I don't know about yours. I've already addressed we're talking about rifles, and again, the government is behind the curve on what they're issuing to these guys. And it is costing more money than it should.

No. You said we are the same as Marines. We are not. I never said our job was a game. The gamer comment was about your shooting versus them. Again your setup and experience is to play the prs game not hunt men. I believe Sapper is inna better position to comment on what these guys need then you. How much more does your equipment cost just because of the NFPA then it should?

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 02:48 AM

We serve the public, and it could kill us. I don't understand how you see such a wide margin.

No one has taken anything away from them for what they do, especially not me. And I do know one. Our equipment cost is in the same category, you are exactly right, which is my point.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 03:51 AM

Wide margin? We get to be home except for working. They go across the world. No one is actively trying to kill us. Our job is dangerous but more people die in the oilfield.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 12:04 PM

Wide margin? We get to be home except for working. Plenty get to live with their families and work s day job. Been that way for ever. Many never deployThey go across the world. No one is actively trying to kill us.A Marine being shot or blown up by an I.E.D. is more tragic than a Police Officer or Firefighter being shot, ran over, structual collapse, burned, smoke inhalation, ect? Our job is dangerous but more people die in the oilfield.
I am sorry for the oilfield.

I can guarantee you the Police Officer's funeral I attended in February, his wife and daughters did not believe his death was any less tragic. I am not disrespecing any military branch. But I do not appreciate anyone disrespecting Law Enforcement or the Fire Service either.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:43 PM

No. I never disrespected the service. I think its disrespectful to bring out our lodd to argue over military spending. Looks like a cheap way to get a thank you for your service. Never said that one death is less tragic then another. I tried to give you a little perspective. I tried to show you we are not the same as them. Humility is not your strong suit. We have the best job there is. Everyone loves us without even knowing us. The military doesn't have that. Half the country hates them and wants to defund them. You heard Sapper say some units are still using m16s. If they want a better gun, lets get it for them. 308 sucks compared to a 300 win. Its government they overpay for everything and it needs to be fixed.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 01:57 PM

How long have you been doing it? In 20 years, I can count on two hands the number of "thank you's" I've heard. I don't need it though. We do our job, clear, and get ready for the next one. My point is the same as yours, I want them to have the best of the best, and when they are over paying by 40%, budget cuts are going to force some guys to be using old equipment. And we are also arguing the same side, government over pays. I know how "we" are, professional argue-ers, and that's all it looks like you really want to do. That's fine, I know how as well.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 02:22 PM

If you guys are finished arguing, we can get back to equipment pricing for Uncle Sam. Having tried unsuccessfully many years ago to sell various fuels to the government, i can say that it is not easy or cheap to even try to deal with them. It’s a long, complicated, and frustrating process that is far different from selling to a normal company. Even if they build the rifle in-house, the bits and pieces to make it with have to come in through the bid process and have to meet very tough mil-spec standards. It’s a torturous process, which limits the number of bidders that will deal with it, which i am positive contributes to the higher pricing.

Quite probably, a top level gunsmith/Armorer could produce a rifle and scope package equal in quality to what will be issued to the Marine snipers and do it for 1/3 less cost IF they didn’t have to go through the gov’t bid process.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 02:45 PM

603Country,

That is the pount, sir. The product you were selling was of no lower quality, I am sure. Bureaucratic red tape is my gripe, which appears to be yours as well.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 03:00 PM

What if I told you that most of the government regs came about because someone abused the system?

Remember they are trying to optimize an army. Not an individual...

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 04:32 PM

603Country,

That is the pount, sir. The product you were selling was of no lower quality, I am sure. Bureaucratic red tape is my gripe, which appears to be yours as well.

The flip side is of there was no regulations, anything could be sold to them without being tested. Do you want our guys to be using Anderson rifles? I wouldn't want to go to war with an Anderson.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 05:00 PM

There is a military grade NF that is more costly. I have no clue how much but I assume it's more than the normal

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 05:07 PM

603Country,

The flip side is of there was no regulations, anything could be sold to them without being tested. Do you want our guys to be using Anderson rifles? I wouldn't want to go to war with an Anderson.

Of course not. It does not need to be a free-for-all. But clearly the system is not totally working.

Re: U.S. Marines Are Getting a New Sniper Rifle - 04/17/18 06:21 PM

603Country,

Of course not. It does not need to be a free-for-all. But clearly the system is not totally working.

It government. There is no happy medium. Its either regulated to death or not at all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum