Texas Hunting Forum

Favorite Custom Action?

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 09:14 PM

I sure would love a lefty Chase Curtis Vector action, but I can only play the waiting game for so long. What are the best custom actions y'all have tried?
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 09:39 PM

Once you go down this road, you will find out why I use LH Tikka actions...

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Why is that?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 09:48 PM

I just got my Bighorn TL3 last week. It was most appealing to my personal research and fondlings
Posted By: Crews

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 09:49 PM

Tikka! All kidding aside, my current semi-custom is a Beanland-built on a Tikka action. I really enjoy it. Much more so than the variety of trued 700's or the 2 stillers I had.

With that being said, I'd sure love to have either a new ARC Nucleus, or a Bighorn. it's a no brainer for the feature set you get at the price. And it sounds like they will make swapping barrels out a very easy task!
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 09:53 PM

You can’t go wrong in the top end. Borden and Defiance are two great options depending on the goal

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 10:06 PM

I would really like to feel a Borden titanium but I'm not a high roller like Buzz
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I would really like to feel a Borden titanium but I'm not a high roller like Buzz

That’s what my 6.5saum is built on with full PVD treatment. It’s very nice

Stainless actions will still be smoother than any Ti though. You give up some feel for the weight even though the PVD treatment closes the gap most of the way

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 10:22 PM

Nice
Posted By: Judd

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 10:23 PM

The Bighorn's have a floating bolt head...I've got nothing to prove they are worse or better, I just don't like them. But I like the fact the TL3 was designed to resolve feeding issues with the 6br parent case stuff.

A melonited BAT, Defiance and Kelbly would be on my list...but my favorite right now is my Borden.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Judd
The Bighorn's have a floating bolt head...I've got nothing to prove they are worse or better, I just don't like them. But I like the fact the TL3 was designed to resolve feeding issues with the 6br parent case stuff.

A melonited BAT, Defiance and Kelbly would be on my list...but my favorite right now is my Borden.

A Defiance Deviant Tactical is at the top of my list so far.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/26/18 11:53 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Why is that?

There are not many LH choices. And many (maybe all) of the ones mentioned have 90° bolt throws and not near enough clearance between bolt and action. Get a little bit of dirt and grit in the action, and it won't cycle.

So, what I use has a 70° bolt throw, clearance between bolt and action, and comes with a good trigger. Add bottom metal, stock, barrel, and roll with it.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:32 AM

My favorite action to run is my Surgeon 591. After 10's of thousands of rounds down that action, plus double that in dry firing, it is beyond smooth. The bolt is very easy to run, and is butter smooth. The Surgeon is a Rem 700 type action, and has the 90 degree throw. The Tikka's are super smooth, and are my next favorite. The Tikka's have a 70 degree bolt throw. This 70 degree throw has more camming action in a smaller throw, which can make it have a harder lift in that 70 degrees. The Surgeon has less lift resistance after firing since it spreads that camming over 90 degrees. When driving a bolt rifle quickly, this makes a difference. I'm being a little picky on that, but it is noticeable to me. Same with my TRG 42. I freakin' love that action (60 degree throw, 3 lug) with 2 stage trigger. But a stiff load of 300 WM will have hard bolt lift.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:36 AM

I just got my Bighorn TL3 last week. It was most appealing to my personal research and fondlings

Let's see some pics of that bad boy.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton

Let me take a few better ones
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:49 AM

Let me take a few better ones

Just curious what made you decide to go with that over a Curtis or others?
Posted By: dee

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:51 AM

Impact or older surgeon 591 that's been coated.

Nothing touches an impact out of the box. Think of it as a surgeon 591 that has been improved upon. Tolerances are so close across actions barrels can be cut without the action in hand. Several smiths keep chambered barrels on hand ready to ship.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:04 AM

Quality and feel, the barrel changing abilities, a lot of reading, and physically handling them
Posted By: Crews

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 11:43 AM

Just curious what made you decide to go with that over a Curtis or others?

This may be a bit too much for some people, but if you're serious about researching custom actions, look up the Precision Rifle Media podcast, and listen in to the episodes with Josh Kunz/Patriot Valley Arms. There's 4 of them. An absolute weatlh of knowledge, but one of the things he goes into a ton of detail about is Bighorn actions. Lots of details about how they're excellent candidates for a multi-caliber platform. Most guys have several different rifles for different purposes. It makes a lot of sense to get one stock/action/really nice scope set up exactly like you want it and change barrels out according to your needs.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 12:07 PM

You won’t be disappointed.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 12:11 PM

I can change barrels on my surgeon in 5min and I have 4 different setups for it. It does require a barrel vice and wrench though but it's not a big deal. I don't understand the huge appeal of the "fast change" setup. I have seen a guy just machine flats in his barrels and swap his without even using a vice.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 12:50 PM

What round are you going with? Specs of the rest of the build? Sounds awesome.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 01:13 PM

That's my Son !!!!!

Defiance
Borden
Barrett

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

That's my Son !!!!!

Defiance
Borden
Barrett

I've seen more than one defiance that had to be cleaned mid match because it couldn't handle dirty conditions.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: dee

That's my Son !!!!!

Defiance
Borden
Barrett

I've seen more than one defiance that had to be cleaned mid match because it couldn't handle dirty conditions.

Yup. There's another brand that is even worse about it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:17 PM

seems like the best one is whichever one you own

so

should we start a favorite rifle scope thread? bang
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:20 PM

Yes, but I own it because it is one of the best I have found.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:27 PM

Money not being an issue get an Accuracy International rifle and pay someone to move it to whatever stock you like.

After that actions like Borden/BAT/Kelbly are held to very tight tolerances. Some can have barrels made without ever going back to makers as tolerances are that tight. Can switch barrels between different actions of same model also.

I just picked up a Borden action and boy is it smooth. Also having a BAT made into a 375CT and expect it to be great also.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz

What round are you going with? Specs of the rest of the build? Sounds awesome.

Bighorn TL3
APA bottom metal
McMillan Game Hunter swirly inletted for a #3 Bart
Bartlein 2b fluted around 22" or shorter, 6.5 creed
Trigger Tech trigger

First barrel will be a 6.5 creed then some shorter barrels for suppressor use going to a #3 contour for those to meet 5/8"

Basically replacing my little orange rifle with another little orange rifle

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:37 PM

so

I don't own an impact but will say they are best all around period.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 03:42 PM

so

Tony has a RH Curtis of mine, and I am waiting on it to get a barrel. It is the best action I have ever laid my hands on. He got everything right, incorporating some of the best features from multiple actions. But he is still not producing LH versions.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 04:36 PM

so

What makes you say that? One big negative that would keep me from buying one is they aren’t cut for AW mags...who wants a single stack mag? Not me.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 05:53 PM

so

What makes you say that? One big negative that would keep me from buying one is they aren’t cut for AW mags...who wants a single stack mag? Not me.

Flat out reliability in all conditions. I've handled them in some of the dirtiest conditions and they still cycle like butter dirt and all. Lots of good options out there but putting hands on when dirty or in nonideal conditions is what's a selling point. Essentially all they are is a 591 that's been improved with m16 extractor, trigger hanger setup that makes bolt cycling smoother\lighter and nitrided.

Aw mags are not a draw for me with a 90° throw action as they are very temperamental. Aics just work too reliable in a 90 action.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 06:08 PM

so

Flat out reliability in all conditions. I've handled them in some of the dirtiest conditions and they still cycle like butter dirt and all. Lots of good options out there but putting hands on when dirty or in nonideal conditions is what's a selling point. Essentially all they are is a 591 that's been improved with m16 extractor, trigger hanger setup that makes bolt cycling smoother\lighter and nitrided.

Aw mags are not a draw for me with a 90° throw action as they are very temperamental. Aics just work too reliable in a 90 action.

I gotcha...I have zero experience with them so I was wondering...that is/was a big statement from you and knew you would have some experience to back that up. Thanks D!
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 06:41 PM

I'll have a Curtis action coming soon. The older Sako actions are the smoothest I have ever used......

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 07:05 PM

Does anyone have an idea when Curtis will offer a lefty action?
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 08:21 PM

Right after you choose a lefty from another manufacturer.
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 08:50 PM

In my experience, any estimate about when Curtis Custom will do anything is automatically wrong.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

Right after you choose a lefty from another manufacturer.

I know you're right! roflmao

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/27/18 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: snarkscarbine

In my experience, any estimate about when Curtis Custom will do anything is automatically wrong.

Yikes.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/28/18 12:14 AM

My experience as well.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/28/18 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: 68A

My experience as well.

Same here.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/28/18 01:02 AM

It’s a shame because I really wanted one of their actions. As Jason said, they really put a lot of thought into the design. But, getting any kind of information or dates was impossible. After doing some research on here I realized that getting a solid timeline wasn’t going to happen. I went with defiance and have been very pleased with the action. Granted, I don’t run and gun in some of the conditions the guys that compete do, so I can’t speak to having cycling issues when they get dirty. My actions stay pretty clean since it’s about the only part of the rifle I wipe down regularly.

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/28/18 03:06 AM

It's a shame but it's been Russo's business model with his stocks for years. Awesome stocks, impressive workmanship, great tracking in the bags...but you get them whenever he's ready to deliver. Doesn't matter what he's said or what you think. You'll get them when he wants you to have it.

It's sad. They must have too much money? confused2
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Favorite Custom Action? - 03/28/18 12:05 PM

Call APR.........
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum