Texas Hunting Forum

Fierce Rifles

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Fierce Rifles - 03/13/18 06:25 PM

I know, no one here likes these custom rifles cuz they are built on a Tikka action.

BUT !!!!!

Cabela's Allen has a 6.5 Creedmoor in a light tan stock that sure looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET if anybody's in the market. You'll have to step up though its pushing $2000

popcorn
Posted By: TonyWornick

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/13/18 06:43 PM

Sweet, I pass right by it going home! (I'll just stop in and look)
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/13/18 06:51 PM

Worst name for a rifle company. Sounds ghey.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 02:09 AM

Meh
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 02:19 AM

Fierth.

rofl

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 02:20 AM

Almost as funny as Thavage.

roflmao
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
I know, no one here likes these custom rifles cuz they are built on a Tikka action.

BUT !!!!!

Cabela's Allen has a 6.5 Creedmoor in a light tan stock that sure looks SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET if anybody's in the market. You'll have to step up though its pushing $2000

popcorn

Are they built on a Tikka action? I thought everyone on THF loves Tikka except you. grin
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Fierth.

rofl

Almost as funny as Thavage.

roflmao

lol35

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 12:57 PM

I do wish someone would buy this Fierce and prove everyone wrong.

BIL, Cabela's has the Proof switch barrel in stock @ Allen
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas

BUT !!!!!

popcorn

Are they built on a Tikka action? I thought everyone on THF loves Tikka except you. grin
NOT
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 01:33 PM

you can buy this one. this most accurate rifle I have ever owned

scope is a Burris XTR 3-12
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 01:47 PM

If someone is wanting to buy a Proof Research’s rifle and isn’t in a hurry, wait till the next SCi show. Their show special, at least this year, was $1,000 off MSRP.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Theringworm

If someone is wanting to buy a Proof Research’s rifle and isn’t in a hurry, wait till the next SCi show. Their show special, at least this year, was $1,000 off MSRP.

Yep, they almost had me sell my Barrett Fieldcraft and order a Summit. Mighty fine rifles, very expensive !!!
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 03:17 PM

I don't have your funds. I'm Mckinney trash , not quite a frisco high roller
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/14/18 08:55 PM

Fierth.

rofl

grin I'll thick with my Thako.
Posted By: Ag Hunter 78

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18 04:02 PM

For some reason I've never been able to type with a lisp. bolt
Posted By: OkieDokie

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/15/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I don't have your funds. I'm Mckinney trash , not quite a frisco high roller

This is the first "one downer" I've seen, most are a "one upper" clap
Posted By: Stykes

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/18/18 09:17 PM

BUT !!!!!

popcorn

They are NOT built on Tikka actions. They are built on custom Sako actions and have a detachable metal magazine like the Sako 85 rilfes.

I have one in 300WM and it's a shooter!

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:32 AM

Ya'll better get to Cabelas and buy this, dam sweet rifle

Posted By: huntwest

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:12 AM

They are extremely accurate and priced mid range for a 1/2” moa rifle.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:30 AM

Finally!!!

Someone selling a rifle, making a claim of accuracy, had the balls to provide a group to prove it.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the flier was the shooter's fault.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Finally!!!

Someone selling a rifle, making a claim of accuracy, had the balls to provide a group to prove it.

I'm pretty sure that is the factory test target sent with all the Fierce rifles above the Fury line to prove the accuracy.
They use premium ammo for their test. Mine was under 1/2 MOA and shoots fairly consistently around that with a 180 Accubond loaded to 3100fps.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Stykes
Finally!!!

I'm pretty sure that is the factory test target sent with all the Fierce rifles above the Fury line to prove the accuracy.
They use premium ammo for their test. Mine was under 1/2 MOA and shoots fairly consistently around that with a 180 Accubond loaded to 3100fps.

Ok so, the flier is the ammo's fault.

I've pulled apart enough factory ammo to kmow what their "premium" means. Powder charge spreads worse than a thrower would create.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:06 AM

1/2 MOA, and we have a "flyer"......LMAO.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:10 AM

In that 3 shot group I wouldn't call the one shot slightly off a flyer. The group is still under 1/2 moa. The test target mine came with used Barnes premium ammo. The group from my test target was slightly larger than the one in that picture.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:18 AM

Flier. Sell it.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider

Two touching, one a bullet hole away. Yes that is a flier, as compared to the other two.

It is unfortunate you have eye problems.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:54 AM

In that 3 shot group I wouldn't call the one shot slightly off a flyer. The group is still under 1/2 moa. The test target mine came with used Barnes premium ammo. The group from my test target was slightly larger than the one in that picture.

I never said it was a bad shooting rifle.

My point is, when two are touching like that, and one is outside, it is telling me it is capable of better. Meaning it is a great shooting rifle, and there is another factor at work, no fault of the rifle.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:59 AM

Two touching, one a bullet hole away. Yes that is a flier, as compared to the other two.

Just because all 3 aren’t touching does not define the one not touching as a “flier”.
A .38” group does not have any “fliers”.
A .38” group speaks well of any “system” that produces it - shooter, rifle, and ammunition. Not poorly.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:01 AM

Later today, I am going to educate you on property law.

Move along troll.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:06 AM

Lol I’ve never claimed to be a shooting expert, but I do know what a “flier” is. smile

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:11 AM

You're wrong. When one put two way tighter than 1/2 MOA, that odd ball is a flier. You may not be able to shoot it, you may not have a rifle that will shoot it, but this rifle will probably shoot better than this group. Had it shot three in a cloverleaf I would call anything a flier

I would like to see it on a hand load, and shoot 4 or 5. So far it's looking like a fair buy at the asking price.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:18 AM

You're wrong. When one put two way tighter than 1/2 MOA, that odd ball is a flier. You may not be able to shoot it, you may not have a rifle that will shoot it, but this rifle will probably shoot better than this group. Had it shot three in a cloverleaf I would call anything a flier

I would like to see it on a hand load, and shoot 4 or 5. So far it's looking like a fair buy at the asking price.

Even by your own definition (which is WAYYY too strict and outside the real definition), you can’t say that shot was a “flier” for this rifle. Because you don’t know the rifle. That might be its best group ever.

Yet you did.

I’m not wrong. No one would ever call any shot from a .38” group produced by an off the shelf hunting rifle a “flier”. No matter how well the rifle shoots.

Good day.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Even by your own definition (which is WAYYY too strict and outside the real definition), you can’t say that shot was a “flier” for this rifle. Because you don’t know the rifle. That might be its best group ever.

Yet you did.

I’m not wrong. No one would ever call any shot from a .38” group produced by an off the shelf hunting rifle a “flier”. No matter how well the rifle shoots.

Good day.

One of the two on the left could have just as easily been a flier. I didn't shoot that group and neither did anybody else on this forum so who knows.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:44 AM

Flier isn’t a bad /negative word, just adjective to describe odd man out. It’s “definitely” the least consistent of the group, nothing more nothing less. I wouldn’t say the two shots touching was luck, more probable that the outlier was cause by some small margin of error, thus a flier.

Y’all come down, only an idiot would argue that no other person could shot a better group with your rifle then you.

Fierce is making a hell of a rifle at a great price point. The CT edge has been on my mind for a while.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Flier isn’t a bad /negative word, just adjective to describe odd man out. It’s “definitely” the least consistent of the group, nothing more nothing less. I wouldn’t say the two shots touching was luck, more probable that the outlier was cause by some small margin of error, thus a flier.

Exactly.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 11:52 AM

Yet you did.

Good day.

For how many rifles have you load developed for? For how many bullet and powder combinations? When's the last time you shot a rifle?

I know a thing or two about this, I do this every single week.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Yet you did.

Good day.

One of the two on the left could have just as easily been a flier. I didn't shoot that group and neither did anybody else on this forum so who knows.

This..........
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:04 PM

Yet you did.

Good day.

This...........

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:04 PM

Exactly.

None of us has a clue about that rifle’s capabilities. So none of us can say there’s a “flier” in that group at all.
So to do so is, at best, rank speculation - and certainly not a basis to question the eyesight of and/or argue that those who might disagree are ignorant trolls.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:07 PM

Exactly.

None of us has a clue about that rifle’s capabilities. So none of us can say there’s a “flier” in that group at all.
So to do so is, at best, rank speculation - and certainly not a basis to question the eyesight of and/or argue that those who might disagree are ignorant trolls.

Contact Chad, and Judd today. Give them some hand loading and rifle shooting advice. I'm sure they too will be more than happy to pay attention to you, since you are an authority on that matter as well.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:13 PM

Yet you did.

Good day.

For how many rifles have you load developed for? For how many bullet and powder combinations? When's the last time you shot a rifle?

I know a thing or two about this, I do this every single week.

I know this. We all do.
However, that does not make you right about everything.
As this thread proves.

You called that shot a “flier”. You argued with and even questioned the eyesight of others who disagreed.
At best, you don’t have a clue if it’s a “flier” or not. That’s the fact. Own it.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:17 PM

Zero, the answer is zero to how many rifles and bullet/ powder combos you've load developed for.

I own 2 acres in Collin County, and 70 in Fannin. That makes me qualified to argue property law with you. rolleyes

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:18 PM

Exactly.

Contact Chad, and Judd today. Give them some hand loading and rifle shooting advice. I'm sure they too will be more than happy to pay attention to you, since you are an authority on that matter as well.

So, is my quoted post wrong?
If so, educate me as to why. Or have Chad and Judd do so if you like.
Posted By: BMD

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:21 PM

bang take a break and come back. Somethings never change.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:23 PM

Exactly.

Well all I see is a .625 to .750 group, that's not a .38 group. Call it what you want but I've seen plus MOA rifles stack two in the same hole. I'm not saying the rifle won't shoot, it obviously does but you calling a shot you didn't make.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:24 PM

http://ballistipedia.com/index.php?title=Fliers_vs._Outliers

Here you go.

And this proves I am right.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:27 PM

Well all I see is a .625 to .750 group, that's not a .38 group. Call it what you want but I've seen plus MOA rifles stack two in the same hole. I'm not saying the rifle won't shoot, it obviously does but you calling a shot you didn't make.

Yes I am. I do it every week via e-mail PM, and text. A flier is an odd-ball compared to the pattern of the other impacts. That's all. I don't have to shoot it to see it, nor does anyone else.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:31 PM

4 shot .25 MOA 5 shot .5 MOA...... Walks like a flier, looks like a flier, quacks like a flier.... it’s the odd man out aka flier

Horizon .260 cal

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:35 PM

I wish I could win every case by saying over and over again “I’ve been a lawyer for 29 years. I’m an expert. I do this every day” to judges and juries.
Alas, it doesn’t work that way. Those picky folks demand evidence and logic. T’aint fair, I tell you. smile

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:37 PM

Dangit BoBo. Showing more of those pesky facts! Facts, not statements based on ignorance.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:39 PM

I wish I could win every case by saying over and over again “I’ve been a lawyer for 29 years. I’m an expert. I do this every day” to judges and juries.
Alas, it doesn’t work that way. Those picky folks demand evidence and logic. T’aint fair, I tell you. smile

I don't want to spend several hours today educating you on the topic. And you still wouldn't be caught up to many of us. It doesn't work that way, it has to be earned, same as a law degree. Maybe your blood sugar is low this morning. That's why you're not mentating properly and that went right over your head.

Go eat a good breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:40 PM

4 shot .25 MOA 5 shot .5 MOA...... Walks like a flier, looks like a flier, quacks like a flier.... it’s the odd man out aka flier

.260 cal

Now that's a much better example and yes I would call it a flier. There's a reason we shoot 5 shot groups in competition.

On a side note the new world record is .007 for a 5 shot group at 100 yards.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:44 PM

so somebody go buy this crappy shooting rifle. I would but my 3 shot group would have 3 fliers

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:49 PM

.260 cal

Now that's a much better example and yes I would call it a flier. There's a reason we shoot 5 shot groups in competition.

Only difference in a 5 shot group and a 3 shot group is the shooter is trying shrink “his” probability of fliers.

In the case of 3 shot above fierce group, all they are doing is defining thier accuracy guarantee. There is definitely a flier in the group, but doesn’t matter it defines the accuracy guarantee, box it up and shoot next rifle.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 12:56 PM

I don't want to spend several hours today educating you on the topic. And you still wouldn't be caught up to many of us. It doesn't work that way, it has to be earned, same as a law degree. Maybe your blood sugar is low this morning. That's why you're not mentating properly and that went right over your head.

Go eat a good breakfast, it's the most important meal of the day.

You don’t know the rifle’s capabilities. You didn’t shoot that group. Therefore, you don’t know if that’s a “flier” or not. You never will. Nothing can change that fact. Thus, you can never have a basis to “educate” me or anyone else that it is a “flier”. Therefore, you were wrong to call it one and wrong to...uhhhh.....disagree with others on the point.

I am a lawyer, an “expert” on the law. But if I say murder is not a crime, know what that makes me? An expert who is wrong.

Time for breakfast. smile

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:01 PM

I have given you the definition of a flier. Bobo has shown another group with a flier. There's not much else we can do to help you understand.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:01 PM

.260 cal

Only difference in a 5 shot group and a 3 shot group is the shooter is trying shrink “his” probability of fliers.

In the case of 3 shot above fierce group, all they are doing is defining thier accuracy guarantee. There is definitely a flier in the group, but doesn’t matter meets accuracy guarantee, box it up and shoot next rifle.

If that rifle shoots 1” groups (all else being equal) on average, then that shot is not a “flier” at all, but an “inlier” as opposed to an “outlier”.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:02 PM

I have given you the definition of a flier. Bobo has shown another group with a flier. There's not much else we can do to help you understand.

I know the feeeling. smile

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:08 PM

so somebody go buy this crappy shooting rifle. I would but my 3 shot group would have 3 fliers

Lol yes mine too - isn’t this a hoot?
All of my rifles shoot .000” groups with either 2 or 4 “fliers”. roflmao

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:15 PM

The two of you bickering has went from entertaining to stupidity.

I vote flier.

NP you’re flat wrong on this one.

JG your need to have the last word will not likely change his views.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:18 PM

What Nogalus seems to be saying is that fliers are specific to the rifle. What I think others are saying is that fliers are specific to the group.

To me, the cause has no relevance to the discussion of whether a shot is a flier or not. If one shot is outside of the obvious pattern of the rest of the shots, it's a "flier" in my book - no ambiguity about it. If for every 5-shot group, a rifle shoots 4 in one hole and another one 2" away, then I'd say it has one flier in every group. Just because that rifle does it consistently doesn't preclude it from being called a "flier". Nogalus is saying that wouldn't be a flier because the group is the same size every time. And others have said that no .38" group can have a flyer, when obviously every benchrest shooter on the planet would disagree with that sentiment.

In reality, that type of pattern that I described above would be very unusual and a single shot that strays significantly from the rest of the pattern is typically not caused by the rifle, but either the ammo or shooter. But that's JMHO and it's worth what you paid for it.

Back to the OP - it looks like an awesome rifle, both in terms of design and performance. I'd love to have it.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: wp75169
The two of you bickering has went from entertaining to stupidity.

I vote flier.

NP you’re flat wrong on this one.

JG your need to have the last word will not likely change his views.

I don't need to have the last word. He does a fine job keeping his shovel polished.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:32 PM

I think we have a disagreement as a result of a term that is not really properly defined.

I have a .280 built on a Mauser 98 that once printed a 0.18" CtC group, three shots. That group is pinned to my bulletin board. The rifle never printed one like that again. Can it be said that every shot fired thereafter has been a flier?

For the rifle, that outlier may be a flier and it may not. Just looking at that one single target, you can say the outlier is a flier. Or not. I don't think it matters...how the rifle does when four or five 5-shot groups are tallied up is what really matters.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:43 PM

An “awesome rifle, both in terms of design and performance” for its intended use doesn’t shoot “fliers”.

I would also say that I have never, ever seen anyone ever say an off the shelf hunting rifle that groups at .38” shoots “fliers”. Until today.

One could argue the above, I suppose. But, wow, IMO that would be a real stretch where so-called “expertise” has trumped real world common sense.

My actual and original point is that none of us can say that particular shot is a “flier” for that particular rifle - because none of us knows the rifle’s true capabilities. (And, with a .38” test group odds are dang sure much better that’s a representation of it being more likely to shoot larger groups on average than smaller.) But, again no one knows, so no one can say.
And on that point, there exists no real argument.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 01:45 PM

Riverrider,

3 shot groups are what I call "bare minimum". You and I have both seen thin barrels, especially with a large bore, that won't hold up for more than 3 consecutive shots. When the barrel is stiff enough, I would rather shoot 5. 3 IS a group, but not what I would prefer to use as a measurement for rifle and load consistentcy.

My 7mm-08 A.I. is a thin barrel, with a 26 ounce suppressor, it is the only one I have that I've used a 3 shot group to test. After that, I care more where shot #1 goes than anything else.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:00 PM

I think we have a disagreement as a result of a term that is not really properly defined.

I have a .280 built on a Mauser 98 that once printed a 0.18" CtC group, three shots. That group is pinned to my bulletin board. The rifle never printed one like that again. Can it be said that every shot fired thereafter has been a flier?

For the rifle, that outlier may be a flier and it may not. Just looking at that one single target, you can say the outlier is a flier. Or not. I don't think it matters...how the rifle does when four or five 5-shot groups are tallied up is what really matters.

That's my take too
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:01 PM

There is more than just the gun that can cause one shot to be away from the others in a group. How many times have we referred to shooting as a system composed of the Shooter, Rifle and Ammo.

Consider that group for a moment. What caused the 1 to be not exactly with the others:
Rifle a posibility I have seen a bedding job on a rifle bring groups like that into small tighter groups.
Ammo the more consistent the ammo the less likely for it to be the case but it sure can effect impact point to be that far off or more.
Shooter is often the least consistent part of the system.

One target is too small a sample to define accuracy of a rifle. I have one if I expected all groups to be like its first 3 shots into .125 inch group center to center to be the "normal" or expected would be crazy for a stock factory Remington 700 classic but that one is a solid half MOA rifle when fed ammo it likes and the .125 was shot with Remington Corelokt factory loads.
With that rifle I have shot numeous groups almost that small but called a flyer on myself because I knew I was the problem as the crosshairs were not in the exact same place when the sear broke.

Just saying the group shows potential doesn't tell the whole story. Distance, ammo, optics, shooter, rest.....

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
There is more than just the gun that can cause one shot to be away from the others in a group. How many times have we referred to shooting as a system composed of the Shooter, Rifle and Ammo.

Consider that group for a moment. What caused the 1 to be not exactly with the others:
Rifle a posibility I have seen a bedding job on a rifle bring groups like that into small tighter groups.
Ammo the more consistent the ammo the less likely for it to be the case but it sure can effect impact point to be that far off or more.
Shooter is often the least consistent part of the system.

One target is too small a sample to define accuracy of a rifle. I have one if I expected all groups to be like its first 3 shots into .125 inch group center to center to be the "normal" or expected would be crazy for a stock factory Remington 700 classic but that one is a solid half MOA rifle when fed ammo it likes and the .125 was shot with Remington Corelokt factory loads.
With that rifle I have shot numeous groups almost that small but called a flyer on myself because I knew I was the problem as the crosshairs were not in the exact same place when the sear broke.

Just saying the group shows potential doesn't tell the whole story. Distance, ammo, optics, shooter, rest.....

Exactly right.

A flier is usually shooter. All of us have been doing everything right, and one flew outside, thus not the shooter's fault. Calling the shot is where that comes into play. Was your breathing, hand position, and reticle placement consistent? If they are all yeses, then the flier is probably not shooter error. If it's not a rifle/ scope problem, then the next logical step is to look at ammo/ load. Which is why I believe this Fierce rifle can probably shoot even better than the 3 shot group affixed to it. That group is showing potential, but I wouldn't buy it, expecting that was the best it could do. In the end, if that is the best it can do, then so be it.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:16 PM

An “awesome rifle, both in terms of design and performance” for its intended use doesn’t shoot “fliers”.

I would also say that I have never, ever seen anyone ever say an off the shelf hunting rifle that groups at .38” shoots “fliers”. Until today.

One could argue the above, I suppose. But, wow, IMO that would be a real stretch where so-called “expertise” has trumped real world common sense.

My actual and original point is that none of us can say that particular shot is a “flier” for that particular rifle - because none of us knows the rifle’s true capabilities. (And, with a .38” test group odds are dang sure much better that’s a representation of it being more likely to shoot larger groups on average than smaller.) But, again no one knows, so no one can say.
And on that point, there exists no real argument.

That’s because you aren’t here to talk about the abnormality in a three shot group, you are only here to troll and pretend THF is a jury because you are bored. No body said the rifle shot a flier actually, they said the shooter did.

No one has argued it doesn’t meet the guarantee given to it. Only thing been stated is that there is abnormality defined as a flier in the group, most likely human error and that the rifle is most likely capable of shooting better.

Even this group has a flier, it’s the abnormality of the five shots. Because it’s five shots it’s not as noticeable of an abnormality. If it was one of three it would be, but none the less it’s the odd man out. In this case it may of been fouling shot I believe, or maybe just me.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 02:49 PM

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:02 PM

BOBO's showin off up

No dog in this fun hunt but its dam entertaining.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:02 PM

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:06 PM

Humor can often make an “on topic” point better than anything. That post hit the topic squarely. No “fliers”. smile
Not to mention it was not “calling out” anyone but myself.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:27 PM

Humor can often make an “on topic” point better than anything. That post hit the topic squarely. No “fliers”. smile
Not to mention it was not “calling out” anyone but myself.

Except your trolling because it’s been said numerous times no one is questioning the MOA guarantee, toss in the fact there isn’t an outlier outside of the guarantee to even argue, so you digress to poking to poke. You can’t even define your own argument any more.

Atleast it’s with in the norm for you, nothing really new. Back on to ignore you go

Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:43 PM

If the best 3 shot group that rifle ever shot was the one in the picture is it still considered a flier? Can every group have a flier?

I think for a shot to be considered a flier it has to be outside the every day normal capabilities of the rifle. If it normally shoots .38" groups, then everything within that measurement is considered normal and none of them is a flier, IMO.

I tend to agree that if you don't know the rifle it's hard to call anything a flier. It may just be the best it can do.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:56 PM

NP is right on this one guys. If you disagree you aren’t comprehending what he’s putting out.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
If the best 3 shot group that rifle ever shot was the one in the picture is it still considered a flier? Can every group have a flier?

I think for a shot to be considered a flier it has to be outside the every day normal capabilities of the rifle. If it normally shoots .38" groups, then everything within that measurement is considered normal and none of them is a flier, IMO.

I tend to agree that if you don't know the rifle it's hard to call anything a flier. It may just be the best it can do.

Their point is, I believe, that if the rifle is capable of shooting 2 rounds touching, then it is capable of having 3 rounds touching with perfect form and a perfect handload. What I don’t think anybody mention is that I wouldn’t be surprised if the “flier” was a fouling shot and not a flier at all. Then the 2 consecutive shots were the ones touching.

I’m in the camp though who feels like a flier must be cause by some sort of error. It’s very possible that is he best group that rifle can shoot, and if that’s the case you’ve maxed out the capability of the rifle and that is not a flier.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:05 PM

Looking at any group, from any rifle, be in rounds fired since cleaning of 1-3, or 501 through 503, one outside is a flier. Even if it does that every time it is shot in a 3 shot group, one is a flier, and it and the remaining two are the group total. So you will have a rifle and load that was doing well, then the group opened up. Or you have the first shot, or the first X number of shots that land inconsistently. We don't know what shot number the flier is on this particular rifle. Yes, it could be shot #1, it could also be #2 or #3. If it's shot #1, I'm blaming it on fouling. If it's shot #2 or #3, I'm blaming it on shooter, or rifle, or load.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Their point is, I believe, that if the rifle is capable of shooting 2 rounds touching, then it is capable of having 3 rounds touching with perfect form and a perfect handload. What I don’t think anybody mention is that I wouldn’t be surprised if the “flier” was a fouling shot and not a flier at all. Then the 2 consecutive shots were the ones touching.

Respectfully, there exists no basis (unless one counts blind luck) upon which to make that first statement without a lot more evidence than we have available to us.

BOBO, I don’t follow all of your last post, but I do agree with you that it cannot be said there is an outlier in that group - which is my point.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:17 PM

Looking at any group, from any rifle, be in rounds fired since cleaning of 1-3, or 501 through 503, one outside is a flier. Even if it does that every time it is shot in a 3 shot group, one is a flier, and it and the remaining two are the group total. So you will have a rifle and load that was doing well, then the group opened up. Or you have the first shot, or the first X number of shots that land inconsistently. We don't know what shot number the flier is on this particular rifle. Yes, it could be shot #1, it could also be #2 or #3. If it's shot #1, I'm blaming it on fouling. If it's shot #2 or #3, I'm blaming it on shooter, or rifle, or load.

Assumptions don’t always equate to fact.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:18 PM

Only if one defines rounds that do not touch or go in the same hole as “outside” of something. Which means every group where all do not touch has a “flier”. Or that groups where none touch all consist of “fliers” but one - which begs the question as to which one is the rifle’s accurate one, making the others the “fliers”.

All of which is absurd.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:25 PM

Yes ever group can have a flier by definition, it’s simply the most inconsistent of the group. In the case of a rifle, (non railgun) probablity in limiting accuracy is the shooter, not the gun

All fierce is claiming capability wise is it will shot 1/2 MOA, they showed it will achieve that. The point of contention is if it will shoot better then what it did. Any one that has seen what happens when the humans shooting form is removed can attest to the flier is most likely not the gun but rather human 1st and/or component deviation second, rifle way down at third

In a system the biggest variable is the shooter. Thus why you have railgun competitions, 100lb+ fixed rifles shooting < .05 5 shot groups @100 and <.15 groups @ 200 yards. Think hwyman said new record was 5 shoot .007, doesn’t surprise me.

Rail gun is still a barrel, action and trigger, difference is it’s accuracy definition isn’t as shooter dependent, more the true accuracy of the gun. So it’s more gun vs gun from a competition stand point.

So how many shooters are there can can truly out shot a sub MOA gun? Or better yet what’s the probability of a flier being shooter error vs rifle system error?

Bet the rifle shots better then advertised

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:35 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK

Assumptions don’t always equate to fact.

I agree.

In my previous statement, I made no assumptions. I told what experience has taught me. Being the aritsan you are, when you run into a problem with a build, you know some usual culprits, and you incestigate into which factor is the problem this time.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:35 PM

Respectfully, there exists no basis (unless one counts blind luck) upon which to make that first statement without a lot more evidence than we have available to us.

BOBO, I don’t follow all of your last post, but I do agree with you that it cannot be said there is an outlier in that group - which is my point.

I’m on your side on this one. Just trying to sum up what I believe the other sides collective point is.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:39 PM

Yes ever group can have a flier by definition, it’s simply the most inconsistent of the group. In the case of a rifle, (non railgun) probablity in limiting accuracy is the shooter, not the gun

All fierce is claiming capability wise is it will shot 1/2 MOA, they showed it will achieve that. The point of contention is if it will shoot better then what it did. Any one that has seen what happens when the humans shooting form is removed can attest to the flier is most likely not the gun but rather human 1st and/or component deviation second, rifle way down at third

In a system the biggest variable is the shooter. Thus why you have railgun competitions, 100lb+ fixed rifles shooting < .05 5 shot groups @100 and <.15 groups @ 200 yards. Think hwyman said new record was 5 shoot .007, doesn’t surprise me.

Rail gun is still a barrel, action and trigger, difference is it’s accuracy definition isn’t as shooter dependent, more the true accuracy of the gun. So it’s more gun vs gun from a competition stand point.

So how many shooters are there can can truly out shot a sub MOA gun? Or better yet what’s the probability of a flier being shooter error vs rifle system error?

We have one group to go on with the rifle that is the subject of this discussion.

One group can be bad because of the interplay within the “system” (shooter imperfection, rifle imperfection, or ammo imperfection).
One group can be good because of the interplay within the “system” (shooter imperfection, rifle imperfection, or ammo imperfection).

Thus, one group alone cannot provide an evidentiary basis to draw conclusions as to a particular round being a “flier”.

Only one side in this discussion is attempting to do so by calling a shot within a single .38” group a “flier” and make any number of other “assumptions” as if they are fact.
I am not on that side.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:49 PM

Finally!!!

WOW! How did this get so off track?

I made a statement saying I did not consider the one shot a flier. The reason is simple. Fierce makes a guarantee their rifles will shoot a 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 yards with premium ammo. They send a test target with the rifle and the ammo used. Anything under 1/2" meets their claim. If all three shots are not touching but are under 1/2" then the claim is still met and none of the shots are fliers. Somehow this conversation turned into something else. I was only talking about the Fierce guarantee and not any other rifles or shooting or accuracy or grouping claims.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 04:53 PM

Finally!!!

I made a statement saying I did not consider the one shot a flier. The reason is simple. Fierce makes a guarantee their rifles will shoot a 1/2" 3 shot group at 100 yards with premium ammo. They send a test target with the rifle and the ammo used. Anything under 1/2" meets their claim. If all three shots are not touching but are under 1/2" then the claim is still met and none of the shots are fliers. Somehow this conversation turned into something else. I was only talking about the Fierce guarantee and not any other rifles or shooting or accuracy or grouping claims.

And I agree with you 100%. They did in fact show a 1/2 MOA group shot by a rifle they built. Based on the group, I contend the rifle may have the ability to shoot even better.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 05:24 PM

popcorn

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 05:32 PM

Finally!!!

And I agree with you 100%. They did in fact show a 1/2 MOA group shot by a rifle they built. Based on the group, I contend the rifle may have the ability to shoot even better.

One would think, it’s just a test shot rifle, not a worked up, broke in system. But what do I know.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 05:39 PM

So here is my question:

What is the definition of a flyer?

To me a flyer is when I know I did something when shooting. Before I even know the outcome. It is something I know personnel and generally I know when it happens

For example I shoot a few rounds and I think all of them are good. And one is a bit further away from the others. Is that a flyer?

So is a flyer defined by the outcome of where it impacts or the process of me firing?

To me without knowing who shot or what was happening, with my definition, it would not be a flyer. It would be one that is no touching.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 05:51 PM

A flier is a shot within a group that obviously doesn't conform to the POI pattern of the rest of the group. The cause is irrelevant. The size of the primary pattern is irrelevant. The only requirement is that it obviously/significantly doesn't conform to the pattern of the rest of the shots.

The shot on that test target was obviously a flier in my book. It's not even really debatable, and I'm a little surprised to see so much disagreement. But once again, that's JMHO and I'm not saying anyone is wrong. That's just how I view things. Anytime I see a pattern and then something that doesn't comply, then I look at it as an outlier.

If you made me quantify the statement at a very general level, I'd say that if an overall group size doubles by including the "outlier" versus not including it, then it's a flier. Obviously this group would qualify for that description. But that's why 4 and 5 shot groups are better indicators of the capability of a system than 3-shot groups as well.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
A flier is a shot within a group that obviously doesn't conform to the POI pattern of the rest of the group. The cause is irrelevant. The size of the primary pattern is irrelevant. The only requirement is that it obviously/significantly doesn't conform to the pattern of the rest of the shots.

The shot on that test target was obviously a flier in my book. It's not even really debatable, and I'm a little surprised to see so much disagreement. But once again, that's JMHO and I'm not saying anyone is wrong. That's just how I view things. Anytime I see a pattern and then something that doesn't comply, then I look at it as an outlier.

If you made me quantify the statement at a very general level, I'd say that if an overall group size doubles by including the "outlier" versus not including it, then it's a flier. Obviously this group would qualify for that description. But that's why 4 and 5 shot groups are better indicators of the capability of a system than 3-shot groups as well.

Well stated.

To repeat both of us, Cleric, a flier does not have to be shooter error.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:01 PM

I looked at the fierce rifles......they were ok but I couldn't wrap my mind around the almost $3k price tag.

imo not any better than a Christensen arms for more money

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I looked at the fierce rifles......they were ok but I couldn't wrap my mind around the almost $3k price tag.

imo not any better than a Christensen arms for more money

WTH do you think you're doing, getting back on topic!?

grin

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:06 PM

To repeat both of us, Cleric, a flier does not have to be shooter error.
Agreed. I was getting fliers on my Tikka Varmint 223 when I first got it. I'd have 2-4 good shots and then a bad one off in never land. Turned out as my barrel was heating up, the stock forend contact was affecting it differently and it would get a little wild. Sanded down the stock to eliminate stock/barrel contact and the issue pretty much went away.

In all fairness though, most of my fliers are shooter-related. But that's not a requirement for me to classify an anomaly as a flier.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:16 PM

It’s all semantics, but I view a flier and an outlier as different things I guess. I consider a flier user error and an outlier something else. A flier is an outlier but an outlier isn’t always a flier.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:22 PM

It’s all semantics, but I view a flier and an outlier as different things I guess. I consider a flier user error and an outlier something else. A flier is an outlier but an outlier isn’t always a flier.

Plausible.

We just don't tend to use the word outlier, very often, no?

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:26 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.
Let’s bring this back to reality.
To yourselves silently, all of you ask yourselves if you shot that group first time out with your new off-the-shelf hunting rifle, if you would turn to your buddy and say “Hey, there is a “flier” in that group!”
Or immediately pronounce that a .07” rifle with one “flier”.

I rest my case.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:33 PM

This is what I believe

Plausible.

We just don't tend to use the word outlier, very often, no?

I think one of the issues is there is not agreed upon terms.

To apply to this case. With my and tff it was an outlier that could be a flier. But without knowing specifics it’s hard to say if it was user or something else that caused the spread. Some people would say it would most likely be user based on the other shots and I agree it’s plausable (highly even) without data/information I would be hesitant to say with certainty
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:34 PM

A flier to me is when there is a very clear group, say 10 or 20 shots, and one goes 3 - 4 MOA or more out of the group.

Nogalus' pic to me is what I call a "split group." That is a good group, with the bullets landing in one group or the other, but overall it still is tight. Split groups often can be merged into one by adjusting seating depth.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

A flier to me is when there is a very clear group, say 10 or 20 shots, and one goes 3 - 4 MOA or more out of the group.

Nogalus' pic to me is what I call a "split group." That is a good group, with the bullets landing in one group or the other, but overall it still is tight. Split groups often can be merged into one by adjusting seating depth.

That’s my definition of a flyer as well. If I shoot 4 separate 5 shot groups with 19 shots all being within 1 inch of each other but one shot is 2-3” inches away that’s a flier. Outside of a poorly loaded round or equipment failure, that’s nearly certainly due to shooter error.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:00 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.
To yourselves silently, all of you ask yourselves if you shot that group first time out with your new off-the-shelf hunting rifle, if you would say there is a “flier” in that group.

I rest my case.

That’s exactly why you can’t comprehend why the rifle can most likely shoot better with some TLC.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:07 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.
To yourselves silently, all of you ask yourselves if you shot that group first time out with your new off-the-shelf hunting rifle, if you would say there is a “flier” in that group.

I rest my case.

That’s exactly why you can’t comprehend why the rifle can most likely shoot better with some TLC.

I don’t have a clue what you are talking about. I can “comprehend” the rifle might go either way. I don’t know what it will do with further shooting - and neither do you or anyone else. Which is one of my secondary points underpinning the main point.
My main point is that no one can say that’s a “flier”. Because no one can - though some have.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:08 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Nogalus,

The only issue with your point of view is I get the impression from reading your posts for a very long time is that you only own rifles as a means to hunt. The group in that picture will be more than adequate for any hunting scenario at any distance you will ever be in. Any effort put forth to make it shoot better will always be wasted effort. A lot of people buy rifles and their only reason to own it is to shoot groups as tiny as possible. They would look at that group as a good starting point. You see it as a great ending point. Neither side is wrong, but you have proven over and over that you have no time or patience for people who want to shoot tiny groups. You also routinely act as though the guys who want to shoot tiny groups spend zero time in the field and don’t have any experience hunting. You are simply wrong in that regard. Nobody would say the rifle doesn’t shoot well. We can all agree on that I believe. But there are ALOT of guys who don’t think it is good enough for what they want to get out of it.

I wouldn’t call it a flier, but obviously some people would. Regardless of the fact you don’t respect their opinion doesn’t make it wrong.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:17 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Nogalus,

The only issue with your point of view is I get the impression from reading your posts for a very long time is that you only own rifles as a means to hunt. The group in that picture will be more than adequate for any hunting scenario at any distance you will ever be in. Any effort put forth to make it shoot better will always be wasted effort. A lot of people buy rifles and their only reason to own it is to shoot groups as tiny as possible. They would look at that group as a good starting point. You see it as a great ending point. Neither side is wrong, but you have proven over and over that you have no time or patience for people who want to shoot tiny groups. You also routinely act as though the guys who want to shoot tiny groups spend zero time in the field and don’t have any experience hunting. You are simply wrong in that regard. Nobody would say the rifle doesn’t shoot well. We can all agree on that I believe. But there are ALOT of guys who don’t think it is good enough for what they want to get out of it.

There’s some truth in there and a lot of untruth - but it’s all beside the point.
I have made the specific points, pointed out the specific evidence (in this case, lack thereof) in support thereof, and provided the “a to b” logic necessary to link the two.

A poster was mocked because he disagreed that the shot on the right of the .38” group above was a “flier”. There is no basis to call that shot a “flier” - much less mock others for not doing so.

That’s it. That’s all. There have been a thousand words typed in either misunderstandings or attempts to deflect away from that point. But, again: that’s it, and that’s all.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:21 PM

Amen.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:23 PM

Bunch of theoretical scientist here...

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:24 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.
To yourselves silently, all of you ask yourselves if you shot that group first time out with your new off-the-shelf hunting rifle, if you would turn to your buddy and say “Hey, there is a “flier” in that group!”

I rest my case.

So I guess some would say, if that group were a perfect triangular pattern, still a .5" (or whatever) group, that there would be 2 "flyers"??? After all, one of the two shots touching could be shooter induced as well. A guy can't possibly know without shooting more groups.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:26 PM

I have all the patience in the world for people who want to shoot tiny groups. God Bless ‘Em!

What I do not have patience for is assuming those of us who are not fixated on doing so are know-nothings who are always wrong.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:34 PM

Amen.

And amen.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:38 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Nogalus,

I wouldn’t call it a flier, but obviously some people would. Regardless of the fact you don’t respect their opinion doesn’t make it wrong.

^^Exactly

When a rifle will put two touching (no paper between) and one is outside that, I say "why?". It has shown me what it is capable of, now I need to figure out how to get that FLIER to go away, and become part of the group.

For those speaking of a certain distance that is required to be called a flier, I believe that cannot be a hard rule. If the best a rifle can shoot is 2 MOA, then one outside that is a flier. If a rifle can shoot 1/4 MOA, then one outside that is also a flier, but it may be much closer to the 1/4 MOA group, than the flier was from the 2 MOA group. It is a ratio, in other words.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:41 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

So I guess some would say, if that group were a perfect triangular pattern, still a .5" (or whatever) group, that there would be 2 "flyers"??? absolutely not, a triangle group is the group, no fliers After all, one of the two shots touching could be shooter induced as well. A guy can't possibly know without shooting more groups. agreed, but a group with two touching and one outside still has a flier

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:48 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

So I guess some would say, if that group were a perfect triangular pattern, still a .5" (or whatever) group, that there would be 2 "flyers"??? After all, one of the two shots touching could be shooter induced as well. A guy can't possibly know without shooting more groups.

Do you reload?

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 07:53 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Nogalus,

^^Exactly

When a rifle will put two touching (no paper between) and one is outside that, I say "why?". It has shown me what it is capable of, now I need to figure out how to get that FLIER to go away, and become part of the group.

For those speaking of a certain distance that is required to be called a flier, I believe that cannot be a hard rule. If the best a rifle can shoot is 2 MOA, then one outside that is a flier. If a rifle can shoot 1/4 MOA, then one outside that is also a flier, but it may be much closer to the 1/4 MOA group, than the flier was from the 2 MOA group. It is a ratio, in other words.

I do not believe anyone would shoot that group first time out with a new hunting rifle and that the word “flier” would be uttered. I believe the most that would be said is “Nice group, let’s see if we can improve upon it.” or “Let’s see if we can tighten that up some.”

I freely admit that is presumptuous, and I cannot prove that. But that’s what I believe.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:00 PM

That is exactly what I would say. Because two touched each other, and there was a flier. That tells me the rifle is capable, and can be improved upon.

How many times do I have to write that?

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:01 PM

Not sure why people are calling those 1/4” squares. Pretty sure that bullet is not a .12” or so. If the topic of this thread is correct it’s .264 for the bullet. Making the squares .5” and the group larger than .38”

With a flier. Lol

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:09 PM

Since we are arguing about unknowns, what if the shooter of said rifle was better than anyone here, and what if that three shot group was better than the two others?

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:13 PM

That is exactly what I would say. Because two touched each other, and there was a flier. That tells me the rifle is capable, and can be improved upon.

How many countless factory rifles with factory ammo that are nowhere near moa rifles have shot 2 touching shots? Ive done it with several and attribute it to little more than luck.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:17 PM

Since we are arguing about unknowns, what if the shooter of said rifle was better than anyone here, and what if that three shot group was better than the two others?

You mean the other ones didn’t meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee so he/she grab another ammo and shot again and another ammo until he had a load etc that was with in the guarantee? Then went in did the same thing with the other 40 rifles for that day?

I sure he was trying to get the absolute best out of since wether it printed a .45 or .35 it’s going to sale for same price. I sure he can shoot it’s his job to be able to shot well, no one has said other wise, some just see a reason or ability for why it might shoot better with some care.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:19 PM

You mean the other ones didn’t meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee so he/she grab another ammo and shot again and another ammo until he had a load that was with in the guarantee? Then went in did the same thing with the other 40 rifles for that day?

I sure he was trying to get the absolute best out of since wether it printed a .45 or .35 it’s going to sale for same price.

The other two groups were .499” and .413”.
Or maybe...It would be hard for me to assume, I wasn’t there. Nor have I shot the rifle.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

How many countless factory rifles with factory ammo that are nowhere near moa rifles have shot 2 touching shots? Ive done it with several and attribute it to little more than luck.

Nope, you are mistaken. They have “shown you what they are capable of” and are all .07” rifles with a whole bunch of “fliers”. laugh

See how illogical and silly that sounds? Because it is, in fact, illogical and silly.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:29 PM

Long ago, there was an interesting writeup by a competitive shooter, who also happened to do statistical analysis for a living.

One of his most interesting points was that "fliers" are as likely to "fly" inward as outward. We tend to notice those that fly out of a group, but never think about a shot flying into and shrinking a group.

One of his main thoughts was that 3, 5, and 10 shot groups are really not statically significant. He completely ignored the sd numbers on chronographs for the simple reason there were too few data points to make the readout meaningful. He would shoot ladders using 3 shot groups to make some quick cuts and narrow things down, then do 10 shot groups several times in a row when working up a load.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:33 PM

Long ago, there was an interesting writeup by a competitive shooter, who also happened to do statistical analysis for a living.

One of his most interesting points was that "fliers" are as likely to "fly" inward as outward. We tend to notice those that fly out of a group, but never think about a shot flying into and shrinking a group.

One of his main thoughts was that 3, 5, and 10 shot groups are really not statically significant. He completely ignored the sd numbers on chronographs for the simple reason there were too few data points to make the readout meaningful. He would shoot ladders using 3 shot groups to make some quick cuts and narrow things down, then do 10 shot groups several times in a row.

I agree, and made the same point as your first two paragraphs at least twice on this thread. Which is still about one 3 shot group from one rifle. Which is a very important factor to the discussion - in fact, the most important.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:37 PM

Do you reload?

For about the last 30 years or so.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:37 PM

Dear Lord, talk about beating a dead horse down until it becomes a bloody pulp of a Chihuahua!! Flier or no flier the gun shoots like most of the rifles Fierce puts out hence their 1/2" guarantee. If they shoot better than 1/2" then all the more better!

Maybe there should be a new discussion on rifle/shooter/ammunition accuracy and potential accuracy. But in reality this will probably end up turning the Chihuahua into a tiny black hole where nothing escapes......nothing.......LOL

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:45 PM

Do you reload?

then you would rework your load, until you could pin point the issue or reach an accuracy you thought was with in your give ability. But you already knew that, why you reload.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:47 PM

Dear Lord, talk about beating a dead horse down until it becomes a bloody pulp of a Chihuahua!! Flier or no flier the gun shoots like most of the rifles Fierce puts out hence their 1/2" guarantee. If they shoot better than 1/2" then all the more better!

Maybe there should be a new discussion on rifle/shooter/ammunition accuracy and potential accuracy. But in reality this will probably end up turning the Chihuahua into a tiny black hole where nothing escapes......nothing.......LOL

Derrick at Horizon has a 28 Nosler that printed .175 for sale, it’s well beyond my shooting ability, but I’m sure someone out there if they really had skills could get it under that, for a little while atleast.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Sure there's been some that shot two touching. In the end, there's plenty that will keep them under 1 MOA, now days. It is good to be a consumer of rifles, bullets, powder, and optics right now. Remember when a sub-MOA rifle was not too common? Now, it is quite common.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 08:52 PM

One of his main thoughts was that 3, 5, and 10 shot groups are really not statically significant. He completely ignored the sd numbers on chronographs for the simple reason there were too few data points to make the readout meaningful. He would shoot ladders using 3 shot groups to make some quick cuts and narrow things down, then do 10 shot groups several times in a row.

I agree, and made the same point as your first two paragraphs at least twice on this thread. Which is still about one 3 shot group from one rifle. Which is a very important factor to the discussion - in fact, the most important.

wink cheers
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:13 PM

I'm wondering where tenyearsgone is on this topic

popcorn

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:19 PM

Do you reload?

then you would rework your load, until you could pin point the issue or reach an accuracy you thought was with in your give ability. But you already knew that, why you reload.

I would first shoot at least 4, 5 shot groups to see if it was repeatable, then I'd start tweaking here and there. I have to tell you though if I consistently got .5' groups I'd stop right there and quit chasing minutiae.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:23 PM

You mean the other ones didn’t meet the 1/2 MOA guarantee so he/she grab another ammo and shot again and another ammo until he had a load that was with in the guarantee? Then went in did the same thing with the other 40 rifles for that day?

I sure he was trying to get the absolute best out of since wether it printed a .45 or .35 it’s going to sale for same price.

The other two groups were .499” and .413”.
Or maybe...It would be hard for me to assume, I wasn’t there. Nor have I shot the rifle.

If he printed .499 he would of stopped, it’s only guaranteed to .5. Guarantee met. On to verify the other 40 plus.

My point is very few rifles are going to shoot thier best group with random ammo the first go. Now the custom guys have velocity and seating nodes that are historically pretty close and that normally what they use, but it’s not gun specific

When I look at that group that was posted, I would say room for improvement. I’d be calling and asking for the load. Am I good enough to outshoot it? that’s a different issue all together.

I posted a 5 shot .25 group of a rifle that Derrek built and it shot .41 from him. Met his guarantee and he shipped. Worked up load and now it’s almost half what he shot. That’s not an abnormality. Have I seen some posted that where an abnormality, absolutely!, every now and then every thing aligns from weather, to ammo to shooter, an that’s all she has, but that’s a rarity but really cool.

End of the day you either see the ability for more, or you can’t physically get there but don’t know someone to outsource it too, and or don’t care it’s good enough.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:24 PM

Hey !!!

did ya'll know the Earth is Flat????? bolt

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:26 PM

Do you reload?

I would first shoot at least 4, 5 shot groups to see if it was repeatable, then I'd start tweaking here and there. I have to tell you though if I consistently got .5' groups I'd stop right there and quit chasing minutiae.

Funny, I would of called fierce for thier pet load and then did exact same thing. If I replicated it under .5, then ladder tested it, tweak and Load 100 rds and be set until it speeds up, that tops of my ability. Now doesn’t mean rifle doesn’t have more in it though.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

popcorn

OH NO!!

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:32 PM

Hey !!!

did ya'll know the Earth is Flat????? bolt

26 Nosler flat or 6.5-300wby flat.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

popcorn

Here you go: rock_on

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:40 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Don't rest too long, those are half inch squares, but I think that's what you meant. I'm looking at a .750 to .800 group. The round itself is larger than .250.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:43 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Don't rest too long, those are half inch squares, but I think that's what you meant. I'm looking at a .750 to .800 group. The round itself is larger than .250.

Are you sure? I’m going off 1)the .38 written for the group, 2)the size of the guy’s thumb (can see on the full photo), and the fact that many targets are 1” squares broken into four parts. I won’t bet my life on it. smile

As you say, the point still stands.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 09:47 PM

Bullet Diam is .264

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:04 PM

Bullet Diam is .264

Yes, subtract that from greatest outside distance measurement = .38” just as written on the target. Similar to this one.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:08 PM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

Are you sure? I’m going off 1)the .38 written for the group, 2)the size of the guy’s thumb (can see on the full photo), and the fact that many targets are 1” squares broken into four parts. I won’t bet my life on it. smile

As you say, the point still stands.

Pretty sure a 1” square divided into 4 equal parts gives you 4-1/2” squares. I could be wrong as well but that’s how my math/mind works.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:12 PM

Lol you are right I’m sure on the squares size. Why I didn’t bet. smile
Doesn’t matter. Group is good one - under .5” guarantee as all have stated.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/19/18 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by jeffbird
Originally Posted by ChadTRG42

popcorn

Here you go: rock_on

Well played. cheers

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:19 AM

Those are 1/4” squares.
Or immediately pronounce that a .07” rifle with one “flier”. No, 2 shots isn't a "group".

I rest my case.

So I guess some would say, if that group were a perfect triangular pattern, still a .5" (or whatever) group, that there would be 2 "flyers"??? No, please re-read my suggested quantitative definition. If the inclusion of the worst shot in the group increases the overall group size by double or more, then I consider it a flier. In your triangle case, there would be no fliers. This really is simple stuff. It's not meant to be complicated. If a rifle shows an obvious pattern, whether that is 2 MOA or .2 MOA, and a shot falls obviously/significantly outside of that pattern, it can be considered a flier.

The way some of you talk, it's like nobody in benchrest shooting would ever have a flyer, ever, because their groups are always tiny. 4 shots in the same hole with one a half inch away wouldn't be a 'flier' because the group as a whole is still way better than your Ruger American can shoot. That's a ridiculous standard.

Define 'flier' for me quantitatively and then let's talk. Otherwise, all this discussion is about is the lack of reading comprehension of a few posters.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:31 AM

Those are 1/4” squares.
Or immediately pronounce that a .07” rifle with one “flier”. No, 2 shots isn't a "group".

I rest my case.

So I guess some would say, if that group were a perfect triangular pattern, still a .5" (or whatever) group, that there would be 2 "flyers"??? No, please re-read my suggested quantitative definition. If the inclusion of the worst shot in the group increases the overall group size by double or more, then I consider it a flier. In your triangle case, there would be no fliers. This really is simple stuff. It's not meant to be complicated. If a rifle shows an obvious pattern, whether that is 2 MOA or .2 MOA, and a shot falls obviously/significantly outside of that pattern, it can be considered a flier.

The way some of you talk, it's like nobody in benchrest shooting would ever have a flyer, ever, because their groups are always tiny. 4 shots in the same hole with one a half inch away wouldn't be a 'flier' because the group as a whole is still way better than your Ruger American can shoot. That's a ridiculous standard.

Define 'flier' for me quantitatively and then let's talk. Otherwise, all this discussion is about is the lack of reading comprehension of a few posters.

up up up

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:41 AM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

The point some have been making is 100% lost on you.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:50 AM

What if.......What if.....one of the rounds that impacted the main hole where two rounds are placed is the flyer?!?!?! Oh dread the thought! It's a three shot group. There simply isn't enough information or rounds down range to say anything based on that one 3 shot group. Geesh, if it was a 5 shot group with a competition shooter and competition rifle that would be one thing. But it's just a three shot group and I don't care what anyone on here says. It's just that. It's under 1/2". I don't give a rats butt where the rounds placed under that 1/2". The gun maybe be able to do better and it may be able to do worse given other circumstances but for all this talk on this particular group it has gotten to the point of being funny.

Please carry on....glad I can contribute. bolt

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 03:25 AM

Those are 1/4” squares.

I rest my case.

The point some have been making is 100% lost on you.
I'm all ears.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 04:02 AM

patriot07-

This post is not a discussion of rifles in general. That’s the point I believe you have missed. This post is about one particular rifle and one particular 3 shot group it produced. That group measured at .38”.
I’ll further add that this is not a competition benchrest rifle - it is an off-the-shelf hunting rifle shooting factory ammo.

The point is that no one can “quantitatively” define what a “flier” is for this rifle based on the only evidence we have. No one. So asking someone to do so or actually attempting to do so is a fool’s errand. Because no basis exists to do so.

Yet some did - saying that .38” group had a “flier”. And “doubled down” on it by saying those who disagreed were wrong despite the fact that they were the mistaken ones.

1)Some simply don’t understand the point.
2)And, further, some have attempted to deflect from the point by then acting as if the discussion was a broad one about all rifles or (better yet) benchrest rifles, or what the rifle might or might not do, or what one 3 shot group indicates, or ....... or........or.......
3)And, still further, some have now agreed with the ones who they argued with earlier (without acknowledging their agreement, of course) as if they were right all along - presumably hoping others would not notice their reversal.
And, some have now run the gamut and done 1, 2, and 3.

That’s a basic summary. It’s all up there in its full glory. smile

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 04:39 AM

patriot07-

This post is not a discussion of rifles in general. That’s the point I believe you have missed. This post is about one particular rifle and one particular 3 shot group it produced. I agree about where the discussion started, but the discussion turned to rifles in general by some people making gross generalizations about what could or couldn't be called a flier. That group measured at .38”. Looking at the target, if the holes are 6.5mm, the group looks right around .5" to me, or a little bigger. I don't know what the ".38" is referring to, but if those lines are half inch grid lines which they appear to be since the bullet hole is about half the width of the space between lines, then this isn't a .38" group.
I’ll further add that this is not a competition benchrest rifle - it is an off-the-shelf hunting rifle shooting factory ammo. This is a $3,000 precision hunting rifle with a .5 MOA guarantee. Let's not pretend like this is a Ruger American or Savage Axis. But once again, in my opinion, that's not relevant to the discussion of whether or not that group has a flier in it since fliers aren't specific to rifles.

The point is that no one can “quantitatively” define what a “flier” is for this rifle based on the only evidence we have. No one. So asking someone to do so or actually attempting to do so is a fool’s errand. Because no basis exists to do so. Fliers are not specific to the rifle. That's my point that you have missed. A flier is specific to a group. You're trying to make this about the rifle, which is missing the entire point that I've been trying to make.

Yet some did - saying that .38” group had a “flier”. And “doubled down” on it by saying those who disagreed were wrong despite the fact that they were the mistaken ones. You're saying that some are "wrong" and some are "right" even though what you really mean is the ones who are "wrong" are the ones who disagreed with you and the ones who are "right" are the ones who agreed with you. That's an important distinction that is worth making for the remainder of this discussion. Someone agreeing with you doesn't automatically make them right, just like someone disagreeing with you doesn't automatically make them wrong, or vice versa. Clearly, these are all opinions.

1)Some simply don’t understand the point. By this, you mean some don't agree with you.
2)And, further, some have attempted to deflect from the point by then acting as if the discussion was a broad one about all rifles or (better yet) benchrest rifles, or what the rifle might or might not do, or what one 3 shot group indicates, or ....... or........or....... When people started making all sorts of irrelevant qualifiers about why they didn't think this was a "flier" that had absolutely nothing to do with what the actual definition of a flier is, then that's when this became non-specific ("this is a hunting rifle", "shooting factory ammo", "no .38 group can have a flier", etc.). Speaking specifically about this group or non-specifically about fliers in general, a flier is a single shot that significantly doesn't comply with the POI pattern for the rest of the group. That's not specific to a rifle, but it's a standard way of looking at things that can be applied to this group.
3)And, still further, some have now agreed with the ones who they argued with earlier (without acknowledging their agreement, of course) as if they were right all along - presumably hoping others would not notice their reversal.
And, some have now run the gamut and done 1, 2, and 3.

That’s a basic summary. It’s all up there in its full glory. smile

I think I understand your point to be that if this rifle normally shoots 1" groups and put up a .5" group with 2 in the same hole and one a half inch away, you wouldn't call it a flier and furthermore you don't think any group could be said to have a flier without a thorough knowledge of the rifle's capabilities. So we disagree about how to classify fliers, and I don't think that makes you right or me wrong or vice versa. You hunt and I shoot for precision. We have different perspectives and that's not altogether a bad thing. I hope you keep putting meat in your freezer and I keep pinging steel. up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 04:50 AM

That was a flier. No doubt. Call it as I see it
Posted By: P_102

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 10:31 AM

A .264 bulletin wouldn’t fit in a 1/4” square.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 12:22 PM

patriot07-

The group is less than .5”. Otherwise, it wouldn’t meet the rifle’s guarantee. The squares are, indeed, 1/2” (as I acknowledged above). Subtract the bullet diameter from the greatest outside measurement to get the group size - in this case .38”. Again, see the photo example and text I posted above. (Some are apparently either are not aware of or are forgetting the step of subtracting the bullet diameter to get the group size.)

Fliers are specific to groups. Groups are specific to rifles. Thus, one can’t say what a “flier” is for a specific group shot by a rifle until you know the rifle. You got my point as evidenced by your last paragraph. I got your point also. I simply disagree with it.

These are not just “all opinions”. The point I have discussed is not opinion at all. That point is one can’t say there is a “flier” in one .38” group without more evidence than we have before us. Even using your definition-because 2 shots from ONE three shot group cannot and does not make a “POI pattern for the rest of the group”. It’s just where 2 shots hit out of one 3 shot group. That does not a “pattern” make. No one can say it is a “flier” or an “outlier” in this group, other groups, or how the rifle shoots on average. We need more data. We do not have it.

There is “wrong” and “right” in life sometimes. You are correct that the basis of wrong or right is not whether people agree or disagree about something. Wrong or right is based on facts and logic applied to those facts.

The other red stuff relates to broader discussions I had no issue with other than to point out it was off the point I was making.

Even if I agreed with you that the discussion about this one group from this one rifle was simply about opinions and each person can have a valid opinion on the subject, what brought me into it was that one poster slammed another poster for, at best, having a different opinion than him regarding whether or not the group had a “flier”. It did not sit well, so I joined the discussion.

Acrimony aside, IMO it has been an interesting discussion. As always, I have learned some things along the way.

Thanks for the well wishes and same to you.
cheers

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 12:56 PM

I'm going to go buy this damn thing!!! So we can close this thread down.

I'm sorry I sparked such a lively debate

NOT banana2

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: P_102
A .264 bulletin wouldn&#146;t fit in a 1/4&#148; square.

HEY !!!! glad to see you back on your feet C !

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 12:59 PM

patriot07-

The group is less than .5&#148;. Otherwise, it wouldn&#146;t meet the rifle&#146;s guarantee. The squares are, indeed, 1/2&#148; (as I acknowledged above). Subtract the bullet diameter from the greatest outside measurement to get the group size - in this case .38&#148;. Again, see the photo example and text I posted above. (Some are apparently either are not aware of or are forgetting the step of subtracting the bullet diameter to get the group size.)

Fliers are specific to groups. Groups are specific to rifles. Thus, one can&#146;t say what a &#147;flier&#148; is for a specific group shot by a rifle until you know the rifle. You got my point as evidenced by your last paragraph. I got your point also. I simply disagree with it.

These are not just &#147;all opinions&#148;. The point I have discussed is not opinion at all. That point is one can&#146;t say there is a &#147;flier&#148; in one .38&#148; group without more evidence than we have before us. Even using your definition-because 2 shots from ONE three shot group cannot and does not make a &#147;POI pattern for the rest of the group&#148;. It&#146;s just where 2 shots hit out of one 3 shot group. That does not a &#147;pattern&#148; make. No one can say it is a &#147;flier&#148; or an &#147;outlier&#148; in this group, other groups, or how the rifle shoots on average. We need more data. We do not have it.

There is &#147;wrong&#148; and &#147;right&#148; in life sometimes. You are correct that the basis of wrong or right is not whether people agree or disagree about something. Wrong or right is based on facts and logic applied to those facts.

The other red stuff relates to broader discussions I had no issue with other than to point out it was off the point I was making.

Even if I agreed with you that the discussion about this one group from this one rifle was simply about opinions and each person can have a valid opinion on the subject, what brought me into it was that one poster slammed another poster for, at best, having a different opinion than him regarding whether or not the group had a &#147;flier&#148;. It did not sit well, so I joined the discussion.

Acrimony aside, IMO it has been an interesting discussion. As always, I have learned some things along the way.

cheers
I agree there is right and wrong sometimes, but if we can't agree on the definition of a flier, then there isn't any way for us to define who is right or wrong, which makes this all opinion....IMHO of course. smile

However, one thing we shouldn't have to disagree on group size. If you acknowledge that those lines are on a half inch grid, then that is not a .38" group if you're measuring center to center on the two farthest apart shots. It's going to be somewhere between .5" and .6".

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:10 PM

patriot07-

The group is less than .5&#148;. Otherwise, it wouldn&#146;t meet the rifle&#146;s guarantee. The squares are, indeed, 1/2&#148; (as I acknowledged above). Subtract the bullet diameter from the greatest outside measurement to get the group size - in this case .38&#148;. Again, see the photo example and text I posted above. (Some are apparently either are not aware of or are forgetting the step of subtracting the bullet diameter to get the group size.)

Fliers are specific to groups. Groups are specific to rifles. Thus, one can&#146;t say what a &#147;flier&#148; is for a specific group shot by a rifle until you know the rifle. You got my point as evidenced by your last paragraph. I got your point also. I simply disagree with it.

These are not just &#147;all opinions&#148;. The point I have discussed is not opinion at all. That point is one can&#146;t say there is a &#147;flier&#148; in one .38&#148; group without more evidence than we have before us. Even using your definition-because 2 shots from ONE three shot group cannot and does not make a &#147;POI pattern for the rest of the group&#148;. It&#146;s just where 2 shots hit out of one 3 shot group. That does not a &#147;pattern&#148; make. No one can say it is a &#147;flier&#148; or an &#147;outlier&#148; in this group, other groups, or how the rifle shoots on average. We need more data. We do not have it.

There is &#147;wrong&#148; and &#147;right&#148; in life sometimes. You are correct that the basis of wrong or right is not whether people agree or disagree about something. Wrong or right is based on facts and logic applied to those facts.

Even if I agreed with you that the discussion about this one group from this one rifle was simply about opinions and each person can have a valid opinion on the subject, what brought me into it was that one poster slammed another poster for, at best, having a different opinion than him regarding whether or not the group had a &#147;flier&#148;. It did not sit well, so I joined the discussion.

cheers
I agree there is right and wrong sometimes, but if we can't agree on the definition of a flier, then there isn't any way for us to define who is right or wrong, which makes this all opinion....IMHO of course. smile

However, one thing we shouldn't have to disagree on group size. If you acknowledge that those lines are on a half inch grid, then that is not a .38" group if you're measuring center to center on the two farthest apart shots. It's going to be somewhere between .5" and .6".

I am no expert. I take the .38” written for the group size at its face value. It appears to fit the (admittedly) circumstantial evidence - what’s written, knowing the rifle target provided must be under the .5” guarantee or the rifle would not have been released for sale, and the appearance similarities to the other example target I posted above with a similar group size.

What I read is that you don’t get a group size by measuring center to center of the two farthest shots, but by taking the greatest outside measurement and subtracting the bullet diameter from that measurement.
(That may yield the same measurement as your method. It appears it would. Again, not an expert here.)

I think we would need the target to know with exact surety.

It doesn’t affect my discussion points, as they would stay the same even if .5-.6”.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:11 PM

NOT banana2

You need a new rifle anyway! Probably been a week since you bought one. smile

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:44 PM

Does this not bother anyone else. Outside the discussion of if it’s a flier or not are they misrepresenting their weapons. I’m fairly certain about the group size I posted along with the one from fierce. It was the closest I could find to theirs.

I’m tempted to drive to cabelas today with some calipers.
Posted By: P_102

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:48 PM

If you enlarge the pic so that the single hole measures .264, the group wil measure properly and be a tad over .5. It may very well have shot better with different ammo at the factory and , thus, was put on sale.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:51 PM

Does this not bother anyone else. Outside the discussion of if it&#146;s a flier or not are they misrepresenting their weapons. I&#146;m fairly certain about the group size I posted along with the one from fierce. It was the closest I could find to theirs.

I&#146;m tempted to drive to cabelas today with some calipers.

Bottom target has 2 DEFINATE flier's, any group bigger than "caliber specific" has a flier bolt

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 01:58 PM

Does this not bother anyone else. Outside the discussion of if it&#146;s a flier or not are they misrepresenting their weapons. I&#146;m fairly certain about the group size I posted along with the one from fierce. It was the closest I could find to theirs.

I&#146;m tempted to drive to cabelas today with some calipers.

Bottom target has 2 DEFINATE flier's, any group bigger than "caliber specific" has a flier bolt
roflmao hammer

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:06 PM

That vertical dispersion is very troubling. Hopefully the Dali Lama of shooting will sort this one out for us too.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:12 PM

Does this not bother anyone else. Outside the discussion of if it’s a flier or not are they misrepresenting their weapons. I’m fairly certain about the group size I posted along with the one from fierce. It was the closest I could find to theirs.

I’m tempted to drive to cabelas today with some calipers.

I was thinking the .38" might be the two in the group, discounting the flier. But that doesn't work out, either. The two touching would be less than .38"

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:13 PM

That vertical dispersion is very troubling. Hopefully the Dali Lama of shooting will sort this one out for us too.

It got fixed. That was just the closest to the fierce target I could find.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:15 PM

^^Nice cloverleaf, no flier.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:24 PM

^^Nice cloverleaf, no flier.

Thank you sir. According to some those may all be infliers.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:30 PM

The fact that 2 shots does not a group make and that all 3 shots were circled (which is, as this non-expert understands it is how groups are commonly illustrated) were my clues that they didn’t exclude the shot on the right.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:43 PM

The fact that 2 shots does not a group make and that all 3 shots were circled (which is, as this non-expert understands it is how groups are commonly illustrated) were my clues that they didn&#146;t exclude the shot on the right.

Seems to me that the .38" either was mis-measured, or isn't necessarily written to specify the group size at all? There is no quote marks after it for inches. Maybe it's something else entirely...?

I dunno - very odd.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:44 PM

Can I tell you guys something that will blow your mind? A 3 shot group isn't a group for telling accuracy. It's too few rounds to know what is really happening with a load, rifle or ammo. I have seen many rifles that were only 2 shot rifles, and the 3rd+ shots were all random from that point on.

And the squares on that sheet are 1/2 inch. I can see that the 3 shots are about 1/2 spread, knowing bullet diameter. .38" is not bad, but often times only 3 shots are used to determine how accurate a rifle is, which I think is a fallacy.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:47 PM

It got fixed. That was just the closest to the fierce target I could find.

close, getting there smile ani

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:48 PM

Can I tell you guys something that will blow your mind? A 3 shot group isn't a group for telling accuracy. It's too few rounds to know what is really happening with a load, rifle or ammo. I have seen many rifles that were only 2 shot rifles, and the 3rd+ shots were all random from that point on.

And the squares on that sheet are 1/2 inch. I can see that the 3 shots are about 1/2 spread, knowing bullet diameter. .38" is not bad, but often times only 3 shots are used to determine how accurate a rifle is, which I think is a fallacy.

Agreed, which is why the argument of it being a flier is absurd. Not enough information to come to that absolute conclusion yet. Could it be? Absolutely.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:48 PM

Oh Chad please, we about got this thing to die

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 02:49 PM

I hear you Buzz.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 03:26 PM

NOT banana2

Buy it, and components, bring it to me, and I'll work up a load. I want to see what it can do.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 04:04 PM

I swore when I was a kid that you measured the distance between all three shots and divided by 3 to determine the group size. Looks like the measurements would be ROUGHLY .55", .40", and .15", which would be 1.10"/3 = .367", so right at .38.

Also note the .38 is written in a different color than the circle and could conceivably have nothing to do with it.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 04:56 PM

QSYB,

Your memory has a foot in history. Pre-WW2 and even much earlier, a target was measured from the bullseye to the shot with a string. For 10 shots, the string would go from the bullseye to a hole, then to bullseye to the next hole to bullseye to the next hole and so on. That is the origin of the term “shooting a 10 shot string.” It could be 3, 5 or however many. The key metric was bullseye to where the shot actually went, which is a real measure of accuracy. With this scoring method, 10 shots in a 2” size group over the bullseye would be much better than 10 shots in a 0.100” group 5” away from the bullseye.

Over and over photos are posted here of very small groups, which are nowhere near the bullseye.

So, which is more important, group size or better placement? Both matter and intended use factors into deciding what level is good enough.

For me, consistently and reliably being able to hit a 1 MOA target is the standard I strive for, which is different than talking about shooting a 1 MOA group size. If people are really honest with themselves, hitting a 1 MOA with a cold bore shot is a challenge.

This thread has raised some interesting dialogue.

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 05:24 PM

1 MOA cold bore is definitely a challenge. I intentionally dial my POI off from my POA as to not disturb the POA. otherwise (I would like to think) I would shoot my POA away. Obviously this is for shooting entertaining groups and testing. I always dial back to zero when I’m done. Unfortunately my zero is not a cold bore zero but for every subsequent shot. Long range hunting would not play well with my rigs at all. I would have to put some thought into it.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/20/18 06:55 PM

I haven't done it in a while but for quite some time I kept some playing cards used for my cold bore shot on each range trip. Interesting to see what you get with a 10 shot group all cold bore on the same target over 10 trips to the range

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/21/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
I haven't done it in a while but for quite some time I kept some playing cards used for my cold bore shot on each range trip. Interesting to see what you get with a 10 shot group all cold bore on the same target over 10 trips to the range

I like this
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/21/18 03:30 AM

8 pages of arguing over a definition. Dang you guys should run for office, you could be a champion filibusterer!

Re: Fierce Rifles - 03/21/18 12:47 PM

I now pronounce this Thread

violin angel
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum