Texas Hunting Forum

Beretta shoots low

Posted By: 603Country

Beretta shoots low - 03/11/18 11:54 PM

My Beretta PX4 9mm shoots great, but low. Sights are not adjustable, so I suppose my only option is to adjust the reloads. I知 shooting 115 gr JHPs that are loaded warm but not hot. Would shooting a heavier bullet bring that POI up? I知 a revolver guy, so this problem is new to me.

I suppose I could just aim a bit higher, but that isn稚 my preferred solution.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 12:03 AM

You could always take a file and lower the rear front sight a bit.... 2cents
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
You could always take a file and lower the rear sight a bit.... 2cents

Lower the rear? Needs to lower the front.
Posted By: spankyttx

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 12:07 AM

wouldn't that make it shoot lower? seems filing the front sight would be the trick to bring it up

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
You could always take a file and lower the rear sight a bit.... 2cents

Lower the rear? Needs to lower the front.
Originally Posted By: spankyttx
wouldn't that make it shoot lower? seems filing the front sight would be the trick to bring it up

I fixed it...I was thinking backwards....
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 12:56 AM

$79 for a set of adjustable sights from Beretta.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-px4-series-adjustable-rear-sight-and-front-sight/e00457/

You could also put a lower front sight or taller rear sight on it.
Posted By: okie44

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:06 AM

Shooting a heavier bullet would raise the poi.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:10 AM

What do the sights look like?
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:14 AM

Originally Posted By: okie44

Heavier bullets fall faster, right? Gravity?
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:21 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig

Travel slower, spend longer in the barrel, theoretically should hit higher because recoil should point the barrel higher.

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Travel slower, spend longer in the barrel, theoretically should hit higher because recoil should point the barrel higher.

up

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:42 AM

i値l try the heavier bullets. Can稚 hurt. And i値l think about buying the adjustable sights. Thanks for the suggestion on the sights.

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: VAFish
$79 for a set of adjustable sights from Beretta.

http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-px4-series-adjustable-rear-sight-and-front-sight/e00457/

You could also put a lower front sight or taller rear sight on it.

Now whats the fun in that.....
Posted By: Crews

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:04 PM

try a "drive the dot" sight picture instead of using the top of the front sight post?

if that doesn't work, just replace the front sight post. You can buy different heights, just have to do some research on what you have so you can find a suitable replacement.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:21 PM

7 yards?

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 01:21 PM

I went ahead and ordered the adjustable rear sight. That seems like the best solution to the problem. Now I will need to find a gunsmith to swap out that rear sight.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 02:01 PM

So in theory that would be the same for a rifle, right? Never had, or noticed, a heavier round shooting higher than a lighter weight round.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 02:03 PM

If you go ahead and buy a sight pusher and diy it will be yours to keep. Then you can change them out at will. A decent pusher will also work for many different guns.
Posted By: papa45

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 03:16 PM

up

Heavier (or slower) bullet will impact higher. Several years ago, I was shooting a lot of .38/.357 in a 6" barreled revolver. Same 158 gr bullet in .38 would shoot higher than in .357, because of the lower velocity. After tinkering a bit, I found I could shoot a 125 gr bullet (higher velocity) in .38 that would impact the same as the .357/158 gr at 50 feet.

I have not noticed the same behavior in rifles.
Posted By: AZ_Hunter_2000

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/12/18 10:35 PM

What site picture are you using when you aim? Take a look at the info at the following:
http://berettausa.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/766/kw/sights/session/L3RpbWUvMTMzNDMwNDc4OS9zaWQvdlFpNnh3Vms%3D
http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361

Also, have you looked at a pistol correction chart to see if any of those items are coming into play?

Changing to Beretta's recommended sight picture made a positive impact for me when shooting my PX4s and Nano.

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/13/18 01:46 AM

So in theory that would be the same for a rifle, right? Never had, or noticed, a heavier round shooting higher than a lighter weight round.

The recoil of a rifle is a bit different than that of a handgun. The handgun tends to roll up, rifle mostly straight back. When you get into the higher velocity stuff the shift is not as noticeable.
Posted By: HicksHunter

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/14/18 02:22 AM

It's not because of recoil or the unlocking of the action. The time difference between bullets exiting a 3" barrel differing only by ~200fps or so is absolutely negligible.

The difference is because of the time it takes the bullet to reach the target, and where the target occurs within the bullet's path. All things held equal (spherical cow in a vacuum...), the bullets will reach the apex of their parabolic path at the same time, and fall to the ground at the same time. Exactly. However, the faster bullet will have traveled farther at any given point in time, so how does this impact ballistic zeroes with different weight bullets?

What we find is that at close ranges, the faster bullet will impact lower because it will have reached the target faster, and thus have completed less of its upwards travel to its apex.

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/15/18 05:10 PM

Okie44 was right. Just did a bunch of shooting with 124 gr FMJ rounds, and the pistol is dead on. Heavier bullets were the trick.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/16/18 03:20 PM

Shoot low Sherriff he's riding a Shetland......

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/16/18 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
Okie44 was right. Just did a bunch of shooting with 124 gr FMJ rounds, and the pistol is dead on. Heavier bullets were the trick.

So much for the file idea.... bang

Glad you got it figured out.... banana2

Re: Beretta shoots low - 03/22/18 08:52 PM

I ordered the adj sights, had them installed by Unique Guns in Waco and had a laser sight installed by them. They even boresighted everything for me. It shoots dead on now with the 115 gr bullets, using the iron sights or the red dot. Next i値l take them my new 686 and have them smooth it out a bit.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum