Texas Hunting Forum

Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol..

Posted By: majekman

Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 05:10 PM

Y’all school me on a good conceal carry weapon...something that won’t break the bank but is thin and compact yet with good power and accuracy. I have a big 357 and a 9mm semi auto. I’m a much better shot it seems with a wheel gun than the semi...
Suggestions?
Thanks guys
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 05:17 PM

If you're wanting something small and thin that won't break the bank and have more punch than a 9 I'd look at the S&W Shield in either 40 or 45.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 05:22 PM

I know it's an important topic, but this question comes up about 1-2 times a week on here. The right answer for me, may not be the right answer for you. What I would do first, is figure out how you plan to carry your CCW. Once you figure this part out, look at which firearms will fit this type of carry method for you. To help figure that out, I would go to a gun range that rents pistols to try the different models that you think will fit your needs. Often times shooters buy a firearm that they "think" is what they want, but find out that it is not what they really wanted. Trying it out first will help.

I carry IWB in the 3 o'clock position. I carry a G23 in 40 cal, or a G20 in 10mm as my 2 main CCW. My favorite holster is the Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC for the G23. It fits very well, has good weapon retention (and adjustable) and is very comfortable. I also have the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB that I like. This holster requires a little more adjusting. I also needed to heat up the Kydex part to increase the retention of the weapon.

But, figure out what methods will work for you, as each person is different in how they carry.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 05:36 PM

...don’t mean to beat a dead horse on the subject. Jus reaching out in many different directions.
I intend to carry in my pocket or a boot type holster
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 08:49 PM

You didn't know it but you just put yourself into a stubby .38 special.

Find you a good pocket holster and go.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

+1!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

+1!

Can't argue that.

I'll throw a wrench in the gears. I carry an XDS every day, unfortunately I sometimes forget it is there when I'm working in the country. They make that pistol in 9mm, just sayin.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 08:57 PM

For pocket carry, Glock 36 (45ACP), Glock 43 (9mm), M&P Shield 45 or 9, or Kahr PM9.

Pants need to be loose and slightly baggy to conceal well and also make it easy to draw.

Tight jeans are not a good option for pocket carry.

38 Special, especially from the snubnose length barrels, has such low velocity the bullets do not penetrate or expand well.

Lucky Gunner has a good test write-up on 38 Special, which confirms the need to go to a 3" - 4" barrel to get the velocity up, and even then, the 9mm will provide more reliable expansion.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

A 45 is a major step up in power which is a benefit, where capacity is limited. The Glock 36 is 7 shots of 45 ACP, which why it is my go to for pocket carry. Add a Big Dot sight up front, and it is a real defensive tool.

Boot carry is not a great option for access for most scenarios other than perhaps a backup gun.

The DeSantis Nemesis is a nice holster, but the Uncle Mike's cheap neoprene really works well too.

I made a DIY thin leather pocket holster, which I prefer as the leather causes less sweating than the synthetics.

For IWB, the options are almost limitless, thinner is easier to conceal. Glock 19 and M&P ( now go with the Compact 9 2.0) are the two dominant most obvious choices, but there are several really good options now.

IWB holsters - leather is more comfortable to me, others say the opposite.

Crossbreed Super Tuck, Comp Tac, or Milt Sparks (especially the VM2), Bullard or Davis Leather are good.

Stealth Gear, Raven, and on your On Your Six are all good quality. On Your Six is a small shop in San Antonio started by some SAPD officers.

They are less expensive, but make a nice product. Raven is really well made and a bit more refined, and a bit more expensive.

Expect to go through several holsters. Holsters in good condition are easy to sell on ebay.

Ebay is also a great place to look for holsters, sometimes at significant savings from folks trying a bunch.

A wide, very stiff belt makes a major difference in comfort. The Wilderness Instructor belt with a plastic stiffening insert is the best I've tried.

Most of the holster manufacturers also offer well made belts. A saddle shop can make something tailored to your tastes as another option.

Expect to have to experiment until settling on the right combination of pistol and holster.

Also, remember that accuracy and reliability are the most important factors, and cannot ever be compromised.

fwiw - I carry a full-size 1911 Les Baer 45 in a Crossbreed Super Tuck or a Milt Sparks VM2, and occasionally a G36 in a DIY leather holster for pocket carry.

Neither are the most popular choices, but what I have found to conceal, carry, and shoot well for me. Everyone needs to try several and work with them i.e. practice drawing and shooting, as well as carrying, to see which combination is the best all around. Anything you'll actually carry is better than "the best" that sits at home in the safe.

I went through more than ten pistols in a few years and about double that number of holsters.

The more one carries, the more comfortable it becomes. It really bothers me to walk out the door without carrying, and is very noticeable to me.

Having my gear on me is just like carrying a wallet or wearing a watch - not even noticeable now.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 10:44 PM

For me it's a glock 43 with the pinky extension on the mag. I was not a fan....till I shot one. Shoot some pistols and see which one you handle the best that you feel you could comfortably conceal with your preferred method of carry.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/09/18 11:14 PM

Yep, get the gun you WILL carry, many aren't committed to carry everyday because its a PITA.

Look at the Taurus 85 lightweight, S&W air weight, Ruger LCR. None will break the bank,

Get some Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot for compact guns. These are loaded with a powder to reduce muzzle flash in short compact guns.

Then get a Desantis FLY holster. You'll be set.

If you like a semi auto, look at the Kimber Micro 380, in the Fly holster. It disappears in your pocket.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 02:26 AM

Thanks guys...just the kinda feedback I was looking for
Posted By: tehachapi

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 04:11 AM

Since you already have a 9mm, i'd stick with a 9mm. Makes ammo easier. For me it's the P938 Sig or a Kimber micro 9. I've been using 1911 controls for so long they just seem right to me.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 04:28 AM

What 9mm do you have?
Posted By: gusick

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 05:28 AM

Revolvers are relatively expensive these days. It's hard to buy a decent one without breaking the bank. Your best bet is probably one of those Rugers with the plastic frame. I think they run about $500.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 12:20 PM

What 9mm do you have?

Ruger P89.....way to big and bulky
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 12:28 PM

yea, you'll never carry it, good truck/bedside gun.

if you go semi auto, you really have to trust your gun and ammo is gonna work
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 01:26 PM

Since you like wheel guns, look at the Ruger LCR-357. Works well for my wife and myself.

Marc

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 01:29 PM

Buzz...never been a big pistol guy but lights out with rifles.
From the pistol shooting Ive done it seems I’m more accurate and comfy with a revolver (esp my .357 Colt Python) so that’s the direction I’ll go. From the brands and model numbers info y’all have given me on here I can now go into a gun shop and at least have some info to work with.
There’s sure some cool pistols out there to choose from. Think I’ll bump my budget up though.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 02:52 PM

Worry about the frame you will carry and not the head stamp.
Opinion , if You go semi atleast get a 9mm
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 03:08 PM

I've carried a Ruger LCR 38 for many years. Generally pocket carry with a sticky holster.

I've tried carrying an SP-101. It rides fine, but sure is heavy.

Most days I carry a Sig P938 IWB with a Vedder holster.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 05:00 PM

Worry about the frame you will carry and not the head stamp.
Opinion , if You go semi atleast get a 9mm

That would be worrying about the headstamp.

I carry a .380 every day. It’ll put the same size hole in the guy I’m shooting at as a 9mm, just a little slower. But a 380 is easier to carry, so I carry every day used to carry a .40 and only carried about once a week.
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 05:52 PM

Whatever you choose, it better be light weight and comfortable, or you wont be carrying it.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg
Whatever you choose, it better be light weight and comfortable, or you wont be carrying it.

Yep....that’s my main concern.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: majekman
Originally Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Yep....that’s my main concern.

It is an evolution. Your first instinct about pocket carry is a good one. Keep it simple. Anything you'll actually carry is better than nothing.

G43, M&P Shield, Ruger, or Kahr are all good options for a starting point. If you like revolvers, look at the ones you'll actually carry and how it will be carried. Over time, try some other things. The choice for the day may depend on clothing choice too. Small, light, and compact in the front pocket is a good starting point. And fwiw - do not put anything else in that pocket. Keys with the pistol could cause a hangup in drawing, or worse an unintended discharge.

I try to avoid negative comments, except on this subject where life or death may depend on it. Avoid Taurus. Their track record for reliability is horrible.

If you are in a life or death confrontation, and had a time out button to pick any pistol from a shelf and have it in your hand and turn the scenario back on, what would it be? Why not carry that?

Reliability is absolutely critical and non-negotiable.

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/10/18 06:54 PM

Word
Posted By: Crews

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/12/18 11:57 AM

I hear so many people talk about choosing a gun to fit into their lifestyle. I believe the inverse is true... you need to be choosing a gun that is sufficient to get the job done, and fit your lifestyle around it!

Bad guys run in packs. And when the crap hits the fan, the extreme stress is going to make putting rounds on target a whole lot more difficult. If you knew you were going to get mugged by 3 hoodrats at the gas station this evening, would you really still think 5 rounds of .38 special is enough?
Posted By: MS1454

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/15/18 04:31 PM

Walter pps m2
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/16/18 01:15 AM

When I carry, usually when I have my grand kids, I pocket carry. My favorite is a S&W Bodyguard (380/laser) in a sticky holster. I am amazed with what you can do with the laser, the downside of pocket pistols are inadequate sights. I can shoot hickory nuts at two car lengths forever (and it did not take long to get to this level of proficiency).
Posted By: howl

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/16/18 01:29 AM

S&W 432PD, 'cause it gives you six shots instead of five. There's also the Ruger LCR, but I find it too big for pocket carry. S&W does a run of 432PDs about once a year. They're not catalogued. You should be able to get one for under $600 if you buy when they come out. At other times the prices go up over $700.

Georgia Arms has a hot 100gr load for the .32 H&R. Smack is between .38 and 9mm.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/16/18 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Crews
I hear so many people talk about choosing a gun to fit into their lifestyle. I believe the inverse is true... you need to be choosing a gun that is sufficient to get the job done, and fit your lifestyle around it!

Bad guys run in packs. And when the crap hits the fan, the extreme stress is going to make putting rounds on target a whole lot more difficult. If you knew you were going to get mugged by 3 hoodrats at the gas station this evening, would you really still think 5 rounds of .38 special is enough?

I work 10+ hours a day in a kitchen. I never carried when I had a bigger gun. It wasn’t comfortable. I traded it for an lcp with a crimson trace, and I carry every single day now. I’d rather have 7 rounds in my pocket than 19 rounds at home.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/16/18 02:46 AM

S&W M&P 9 Shield.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Looking for suggestions on good conceal/carry pistol.. - 03/16/18 02:57 AM

Ruger LCP .380 all day, every day. Or whatever you want. It's totally a personal thing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum