Texas Hunting Forum

Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles

Posted By: Lazyman

Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 07:49 PM

There was a thread several years ago about custom rifles....A lot of the pics have been hijacked by photobucket though....Let's start over since some have probably changed anyway....Plus hopefully pictures were taken this weekend at the match.....Any info such as:
stock
action
trigger
barrel
gunsmith
optics etc....
Posted By: bphillips

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 08:04 PM

6.5 SAUM
Borden Alpine Ti
Manners EH3
Bix n Andy Trigger
Bartlein 2b @ 24”
Leopold Mark 6
All put together by WTO and the work is awesome

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 09:21 PM

Only custom I have right now. And it isn’t particularly custom.
Posted By: jmm

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 09:35 PM

Exhibition Turkish Walnut
Granite Mountain M98 Action
Pacnor 24" 5 groove 1/10 RH twist
Todd Ramirez gunsmith
30-06
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: jmm

Todd Ramirez gunsmith
30-06

Sweet Jesus. Shut it down, we have a winner.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

Todd Ramirez gunsmith
30-06

Agree............

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 10:18 PM

He's located near Lake Fork, correct?
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 10:21 PM

Finally a bolt on the correct side!! It's a beauty!
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/04/18 10:23 PM

Todd Ramirez gunsmith
30-06

Yup. While assembling a good stainless barreled action and mating it to a synthetic stock can yield outstanding accuracy, a nicely done blued & walnut rifle outclasses it as a "custom."
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 01:18 AM

Todd Ramirez gunsmith
30-06

Beautiful! Something like that is exactly what I think of when someone says “custom rifle”.
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 01:24 AM

Not a full custom only semi custom but I had it made exactly the way I wanted so it's custom to me and I love it.

Posted By: pertnear

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 01:57 AM

Ruger #2 - (ruger #3 with ruger #1 fore & butt stocks)
6.8mm SPC II chamber
Shilen Med Hvy Varmint 1-10 twist at 22"
Forend hangar tuning screw
Barrel work by Tumbleweed Customs in Round Rock
Wood work was DIY (walnut, ebony, Limbsaver)
Leupold 6.5x20x40mm in ruger rings

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider

Todd Ramirez gunsmith
30-06

Yup. While assembling a good stainless barreled action and mating it to a synthetic stock can yield outstanding accuracy, a nicely done blued & walnut rifle outclasses it as a "custom."

Yea I’d love one I just wouldn’t have much use for one other than to look beautiful. Couldn’t stand to be rough on one like that
Posted By: jmm

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 03:47 PM

I had it made to use. It has been on multiple Africa and Argentina trips and has been used hard. The bluing is worn on the barrel and magazine floor plate. The stock has multiple dings and scratches. The wrist and cheek piece are stained darker with sweat. To me it is prettier now than when it was new. Over 200 zebras, wildebeest, impala and gemsbok in addition to over 100 whitetail deer have been taken with this rifle.

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 03:55 PM

I had it made to use. It has been on multiple Africa and Argentina trips and has been used hard. The bluing is worn on the barrel and magazine floor plate. The stock has multiple dings and scratches. The wrist and cheek piece are stained darker with sweat. To me it is prettier now than when it was new. Over 200 zebras, wildebeest, impala and gemsbok in addition to over 100 whitetail deer have been taken with this rifle.

Thats awesome

Still don't think I could do it haha. I might be able to if I also had a synthetic to swap back and forth depending on the hunt hahahha
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 04:02 PM

[quote=jmm]I had it made to use. It has been on multiple Africa and Argentina trips and has been used hard. The bluing is worn on the barrel and magazine floor plate. The stock has multiple dings and scratches. The wrist and cheek piece are stained darker with sweat. To me it is prettier now than when it was new. Over 200 zebras, wildebeest, impala and gemsbok in addition to over 100 whitetail deer have been taken with this rifle.

Amen JMM, I take my Biesen and Fisher rifles out and use them, the dings and sweat marks tell a story of adventure.
Posted By: Dien

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 04:04 PM

You sir are living life large!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Not a full custom only semi custom but I had it made exactly the way I wanted so it's custom to me and I love it.

If I was ever going to build a rifle, it would look a lot like that. Really love what you did with this gun.

What caliber is it?
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 05:09 PM

Thanks Patriot, forgot to add the specifics.

Tikka action
Bartlein Barrel
6.5CM
KRG Xray Chassis
KRG 10 AICS mags, the Magpul 7.62 mags don't work
Burris XTR II 5-25 Mil/Mil in Seekins rings
Little Bastard Brake Gen2
Harris Swivel 6-9"
All gunsmithing was done by Tony at ZG Customs

Think I covered it all LOL.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 05:27 PM

Only one in the whole wide world:

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: bphillips
6.5 SAUM
Borden Alpine Ti
Manners EH3
Bix n Andy Trigger
Bartlein 2b @ 24”
Leopold Mark 6

nice looking rig! about how much did that rifle run?

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Originally Posted By: bphillips
6.5 SAUM
Borden Alpine Ti
Manners EH3
Bix n Andy Trigger
Bartlein 2b @ 24”
Leopold Mark 6

nice looking rig! about how much did that rifle run?

No glass it was around $5500. That was me sourcing parts and only paying tax on labor
Posted By: TDK

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 06:38 PM

Always glad too see high end bespoke/best guns being used. I’m in that industry and can tell you most who own said type of guns use the heck out of them. The idea that they are safe queens is usually far from the truth.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK
Always glad too see high end bespoke/best guns being used. I’m in that industry and can tell you most who own said type of guns use the heck out of them. The idea that they are safe queens is usually far from the truth.

Amen.
The one on the left is a Mauser 98 action, Flaig's barreled 257 Roberts custom made by a pair of friends. The one on the right is a 1903-A3 in 30-06 made by the same duo. English walnut on both from rough blanks.

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/05/18 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK

I have no doubt they use them just not sure I could myself
Posted By: pigslayer10

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/07/18 09:05 PM

Not super custom, but my first build.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/07/18 09:28 PM

This was my first rifle a 90s model Savage 111 .270win in a sleek eye catching black synthetic stock, custom faded blued barrel with silver crowing from hundreds of deadly placed shots.... Decided to throw them off with the Goldring silver Vx scope 3x9 cuz thats all thats needed... the big customization of this scope set up is the re set of the previous simmons scope rings that came with the rifle which now is so tight of a fit that its a fixed 9x scope... who needs to adjust.... I also did a custom trigger job myself after shops told me it couldnt be done on this model...12pk of bud and 2 hours later... dont sneeze on this ole girl... finally we top it off with the finest hand carved dark wagyu leather strap that was given to me from a witch doctor down the street that lives in a culvert... Id say at this point she got a full $300 of value in her and has never bumped off sight in 22 years

Posted By: BMD

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/07/18 09:59 PM

Kampfeld Custom 300 Win

Kampfeld Custom .220 Swift
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/07/18 10:03 PM

My first one was a blond, though not any customizing to the metal, except for adding a Timney to it. 25-06 22" barrel(that's had 3000 + rounds through it).

Second one, since I gave the first one to my Dad. Douglas barrel, 700 action, Timney trigger, 22" barrel. Stock was done by a paraplegic friend that has since gone on.

Picked this one up cheap. Mark-x action, 22' Pac-nor barrel, 358 Win. Gold cerakote on the barrel and action, forrest green on the B&C Stock. Prints 3-5 shots in 3/8" inch when I do my part.

This is my latest one. Model 70 action picked up as a pawn shop rescue. 22" pac-nor barrel, Midnight blue cerakote on the barrel and action (it's held up very well) factory trigger. Prints 4-5 shots inside 1/2". Best was a 4-shot group at .33"

Last one has a bit of story behind it. It was my Grandfather's one rifle. He would market hunt in the 'teens for meat for the family, trading the excess off to the general store. One trip he got socked in by the fog and took a tumble. The butt stock was broken. He paid was was a week's salary (all of $12.50) for an 'upgraded' piece of wood. This is the wood he got.

Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Let's see the custom and semi custom rifles - 03/07/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
This was my first rifle a 90s model Savage 111 .270win in a sleek eye catching black synthetic stock, custom faded blued barrel with silver crowing from hundreds of deadly placed shots.... Decided to throw them off with the Goldring silver Vx scope 3x9 cuz thats all thats needed... the big customization of this scope set up is the re set of the previous simmons scope rings that came with the rifle which now is so tight of a fit that its a fixed 9x scope... who needs to adjust.... I also did a custom trigger job myself after shops told me it couldnt be done on this model...12pk of bud and 2 hours later... dont sneeze on this ole girl... finally we top it off with the finest hand carved dark wagyu leather strap that was given to me from a witch doctor down the street that lives in a culvert... Id say at this point she got a full $300 of value in her and has never bumped off sight in 22 years

roflmao
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum