Texas Hunting Forum

Need Ideas On Rebarreling A Howa Rifle

Posted By: Kawabuggy

Need Ideas On Rebarreling A Howa Rifle - 02/28/18 04:04 AM

I have a Howa 1500 rifle in 204 Ruger. Problems I have with this rifle;
* Key-holing
* Magazine well is so short/small that the bullets cannot be seated even remotely close to the lands.
* Excessively large chamber. I shot some new brass out of the rifle recently and went to re-size it for the FIRST time and found that the chamber is so large that it took an enormous amount of force to re-size the brass.

In short, I'd like to just buy an after-market barrel, that has been chambered on the low, or small, side of SAAMI specs, and have a short lead, or throat, so that I can fit rounds in the mag and be close to the lands. I know I should just sell the rifle and start over but I'd feel guilty selling this rifle to anyone. I own it, and I'd like to invest at least a new barrel to fix the problems.

What I'm looking for-a chambered, threaded (BOTH ends-as I want to shoot suppressed) barrel that is ready to just thread on to my action.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: Need Ideas On Rebarreling A Howa Rifle - 02/28/18 06:47 AM

Go with the Howage conversation Mcgowen just came out with it. You could swap barrels just like savage. If you want a shouldered barrel keep in mind it's metric and a lot of smiths won't do em. Best guy in the country in my opinion is Clint with West Texas Customs in Ackerly, Tx. He built a 260 Rem on a Howa before he got his claymore action and its so accurate it's boring. I'd spin up a 6x45 on that action personally with a 1-8 or 1-8.5" and run the 87 vmax.

Also been experimenting with subs in 6x45 in a gas gun and am really considering a bolt one for suppressed.
Posted By: ckat

Re: Need Ideas On Rebarreling A Howa Rifle - 03/01/18 02:32 AM

I'll second the 6x45 suggestion. I love mine. 85gr SGKs go out at 2705 FPS with very mild recoil. It's my go everywhere rifle.
Posted By: Kawabuggy

Re: Need Ideas On Rebarreling A Howa Rifle - 03/02/18 12:33 AM

Thanks for the ideas. Had not considered swapping calibers-just want to get the gun to a point that it will shoot. I will look into the 6 x 45..
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Need Ideas On Rebarreling A Howa Rifle - 03/02/18 01:39 AM

A decent gunsmith can pull that barrel, face it, rechamber it, and make the threads correspond.

If you wanted to keep that cartridge and barrel.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum