Posted By: txtrophy85

Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 02:35 AM

which one was it and why?
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:04 AM

556 because it wasnt big enough to put down pigs on imperfect shots
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:07 AM

Only reason I could see to be disappointed in a caliber is if you had too high of expectations for it to start with. You wouldn’t buy a small hammer to pound a railroad spike in so why would you buy a small caliber for big game or LR when it’s not designed for that.
Posted By: winner

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:23 AM

I second the 5.56 for the same reason.
Posted By: ScrapIron

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:34 AM

im disappointed in the 6.5 creedmor sitting in the safe. i really expected miracles like negative MOA at 1000 yards but it not any more accurate than my 270 confused2
Posted By: 68A

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
556 because it wasnt big enough to put down pigs on imperfect shots

Some people say this but I have never lost a pig shooting one of mine, and I always shoot them high, behind the shoulder. Good friend of mine shot a 225 lb + with standard M855 behind the shoulder, he made it about 20 yds before he ate dirt. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 04:00 AM

Can’t think of a single caliber I have been disappointed with. Each one has done the job within its limitations. Wouldn’t try shooting a deer at 400 yards with my slug gun, and I wouldn’t try bison with my 5.56...

Some folks have much too high expectations.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 04:13 AM

.243 I have never had hardly any blood trail with a .243. I have retrieved every deer I've ever shot with one, so my disappointment may be displaced, but I personally don't like the caliber.
Posted By: hdfireman

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:01 AM

At times we can dislike any caliber, like when we have bad shot placement or don't get the velocity that we expect. Most calibers will do the job but some of the time there is a caliber that will do it a little better. Example is shooting pigs with a 5.56, will it do the job? Yes but when pigs are running will it do as good as another? Same thing with 6.8/6.5, when hogs are running is it as good as a .308.? We all know that shot placement is king but the more efficient caliber for the task gives us more room for error. Shooting LR with a .308 which will get it done or a 6.5 greed or 7mm-08. No matter the round a lot is based on skill and expectations.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:18 AM

.243 because my dad bought me a .22-250 because I was too small for the .243 but he didn't want to go .223 and like 7 years later I'm shooting my friend's .243 and it was really meh. Now I know the .224" centerfires are TINY but I didn't expect the .243 to be that tiny either.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:39 AM

Not calibers but definitely been a barrel or two I've been disappointed in.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 12:48 PM

Like Judd, not calibers or cartridges but guns? Yes, there've been a few I've been disappointed in.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 01:13 PM

No. Just bullets.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 01:47 PM

No.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 02:20 PM

Nope.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 02:23 PM

I’m not really disappointed in my 223, but it is a bit light when I have pigs on the run. A running hog on uneven ground is a tough target.
Posted By: jeepercreeper

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 02:24 PM

300 BLK

I jumped on the bandwagon as soon as it came out because I thought it was awesome that I could shoot a 308 bullet out of my AR15 with nothing but a barrel change. Sub-sonic bullets meant it was going to be ridiculously quiet with a suppressor (which it is). But I'll never forget zeroing in for the first time with sub-sonics. It was like a 10yr old girl throwing a full size football. What a let down. Fast forward a couple years and I got my AR10 - no comparison. Fast forwards a couple more years and I got my 7.62x39 AR - no comparison.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:06 PM

300 Blackout. I have had two, and each time want it to have the ballistic performance of a 30-30, but it never does.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 03:51 PM

300BO was almost my biggest mistake a few years back. Thankfully yall talked me out of it.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 04:43 PM

300 BO for me as well. Back to 6.8 and never looked back, no comparison.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 04:45 PM

223. I couldn't get a decent accuracy node with my Tikka Varmint pushing a 75 grainer past 2750 fps, and it went unstable before 700 yards. I specifically chose a 1:8 twist to be able to run heavies and had hoped to get out to 800 or maybe even 1000 if I was willing to single-load instead of using the mag. But I couldn't even get past 600.

Ended up selling it and buying a 6.5CM. It hammered the 800 plate with ease.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
No. Just bullets.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:05 PM

300 b o
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:33 PM

Let me go ahead and jump on 300BO as well. I adopted somewhat early, before there was a lot of real-world data on the round.

It is the Betamax of the rifle cartridges.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:46 PM

Guess I am hard headed, I like my 300 blk. Have been killing pigs and deer with it for a few years now. Was thinking about upgrading to an AR-10 til I shot my buddies. Heavier gun, bounces more on recoil, louder blast. I'll stick with my lighter, easier to keep the Photon on target 300Blk. Don't shoot much past 100 yds in the dark anyway.

I was a little disappointed in the 17HMR. Brass cased venom on squirrels but head shot required on anything much bigger.

I tend to be more disappointed in my shooting when it comes down to it than a caliber. Pretty much any cartridge will do the trick when you use it for what it was intended.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 05:56 PM

I'll agree with 17HMR as well. I never could make either of the ones I own shoot better than 1-1.5" at 100 yards, even with no wind. Tried a bunch of different ammo with no improvement. Groups were more commonly 1.5"-2" with some in the 3" range. One Savage and one CZ.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/24/18 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
.243 I have never had hardly any blood trail with a .243. I have retrieved every deer I've ever shot with one, so my disappointment may be displaced, but I personally don't like the caliber.

X2- I was pretty young and inexperienced. In retrospect I think I was hoping for more terminal effect than well- a .243. With the minimal recoil it was fun and I shot the crap out of it. I cooked the barrel on it quicker than any other rifle. It is a 7-08 now.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 02:49 AM

300 blackout as well! does nothing a 556 cant do shooting heavies! Made that mistake once early on like many.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 04:51 AM

9mm I don't think a 9mm would kill me.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 05:10 AM

Originally Posted By: gusick
The difference in one stop shot percentages between 38, 9, 40, and 45 are surprisingly small.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
The difference in one stop shot percentages between 38, 9, 40, and 45 are surprisingly small.
like half the murders on First 48 are 22lr lol so I’m pretty sure 9mm will kill you pretty dead.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
like half the murders on First 48 are 22lr lol so I’m pretty sure 9mm will kill you pretty dead.
Seriously? Had no idea...
Posted By: gusick

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 05:28 AM

I've never murdered anyone. I'm just disappointed in how little authority 9mm rounds have on the steel poppers at the range. They don't go all the way to the ground, they just flinch a little. My 357 sig and 10mm sends them all the way down.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
No. Just bullets.

X2
Posted By: TTUhunter4

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 12:24 PM

No, not seriously. This is a common wives tale, but is simply untrue.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 12:26 PM

243 and 257Rbt's both have left me wondering why all the falderal gushy love for either one of these cartridges.

In my early years of trigger pulling I shot a very accurate SAKO 243 for several years back in the later 1960's, learned to reload on it, learned to turn baited river rats inside out at 2-300 yards in the Trinity River bottoms west of Farmers Branch before that area was annexed by FB or Dallas, won some cash bets "writing" my initials on a bidnizz card with it at the old Winchester Range on Luna Rd ...but it did not put WTails down with any kind of authority no matter where I hit them or any bullet of the day that were available back then.

The Rbt's was a M70 XTR that I shot the barrel out of it was so good on WTail sized critters with it;s preferred ammo, killed my Pronghorn in Wyoming at 444 "yards" (long steps by the 36" inseam wearing 6'5" tall guide) leaning against the guides Bronco, shooting super quickly when the herd we were stalking got antsy and started to break into a run, from the smooth canter they'd been at, and I hurried to take the shot off hand that I was so confident in kinda accurate, but even on the Speed Goat when the bullet broke his back just behind the withers at the base of his neck for a perfect High Shoulder shot, it did not DRT him.

Later I had to put 4 of the same 100gr WW ST RN bullets into a 125lb hog at under 75 yards to finish him off, with the 1st 3 of the 4 creating a broken shoulder as well as heart lung HVAC kill shot hits in the middle of his chest from the front..the 4th round finisher was at 25-30 feet face to face just under his right eye and exited the back of his skull, and left me shaken at how close I'd come to getting ripped up by the dying hog, trapped the way I was in the brier patch I'd followed him into crawling on my hands and knees. I put that gun back in the safe and never hunted it again. Elmer Kieth, one of my favorite old time gun writers most noted quotes was "Use Enough Gun" and I've done that ever since.
Ron
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 01:06 PM

Have never been disappointed in a caliber. Only bullets, guns, and me. A few times I started getting disappointed in a few calibers, until I found the right bullet.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 01:21 PM

Men have always been fearful of a lack of performance due to size.

bolt
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 01:35 PM

Some on this thread are mixing caliber with a particular round. 300 Blackout, 308, 30-06, 300 Win Mag, 30 Nosler are all 30 calibers. I haven't seen anyone say all rounds in a caliber are bad because because of a specific round or bullet.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 03:02 PM

You're 100% correct, Scott...but a discussion of bullet diameters would be awfully boring. This way we can bring headstamps into the spotlight and trash em. I hate the .243!

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote

The Rbt's was a M70 XTR that I shot the barrel out of it was so good on WTail sized critters with it;s preferred ammo, killed my Pronghorn in Wyoming at 444 "yards" (long steps by the 36" inseam wearing 6'5" tall guide) leaning against the guides Bronco, shooting super quickly when the herd we were stalking got antsy and started to break into a run, from the smooth canter they'd been at, and I hurried to take the shot off hand that I was so confident in kinda accurate, but even on the Speed Goat when the bullet broke his back just behind the withers at the base of his neck for a perfect High Shoulder shot, it did not DRT him.

You were stalking the pronghorn from a ford bronco? No wonder they ran.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 03:18 PM

You're 100% correct, Scott...but a discussion of bullet diameters would be awfully boring. This way we can bring headstamps into the spotlight and trash em. I hate the .243!

I just want to make sure we aren't being racist and judging an entire caliber because one headstamp.

We know the 6.5 caliber guys are always touting their superiority over all other calibers. bolt
Posted By: JCO

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 03:27 PM

Only been disappointed in some of the decisions I've made. Bought into hype w/o research.
.17 anything makes the list.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 03:32 PM

After reading all of the hype, I expected my .378 Weatherby to be an absolute beast since "it has the worst recoil of any cartridge ever made." I've since shot it with full tilt loads from the bench, and while not exactly a pleasant experience, it's nowhere near as bad as advertised. I suppose you could call that disappointing.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 05:28 PM

..."stalking a pronghorn with a Ford Bronco" ...yep and a 80 power spotting scope at the very headwater depression hills and vales of the Little Medicine Bow River. We'd seen the herd from a couple miles away, and moved into their line of travel and waited them out. When they appeared, coming over a ridglinea little ahead of our estimated ETA I was standing in front of the drivers door with my butt leaning on the fender watching the area behind and a little left of where we thought they'd come over the ridge with my binoculars..and the guide spotted some does further to the right and finally the trailing buck popped over the ridgeline, giving me only a quick shot as they spotted us and got hinky about it.

Did the same kind of approach twice more and my pard could not hit anything with his chest heaving after hiking up a 800/1000 foot hill on the 1st set up. Later we came back to the same area I'd scored in and he popped a Buck with his 3rd shot at the targeted buck, offhand using a BAR 7Rmg , at almost 500 yards away. Bob was a national level trap shooter from Phoenix in those days, a 3 pack a day smoker which did not help at all climbing hills and trying to keep up with the long tall cowboy of a guide...I could could hear Bob's lungs rattle at over 300 yards away when they got back from the 1st setup, but was totally comfortable taking that offhand shot on his 2nd setup ...just kept hitting the rocky outcroppings along the bucks line of travel initially that he could not see in the periphery of the scope until his buck came into some clear line of sight flat creek bank. The guide was a Rocky Mtn Gun Rep based out side of Boulder, with Weaver as one of his lines, and had just come back from guiding a Rocky Mtn Sheep hunt in Alaska 2 weeks earlier for a PRA event...and very crisp on his range estimations. Those were the Good Times in my gun bidnizz career.
Ron
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 06:33 PM

I've shot my three biggest whitetail with a .243......Wanna arm wrestle...LOL..Bullet placement.
Posted By: killen

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 08:55 PM

50 bmg did not suck a deer eyes out when i missed

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil

I've shot my three biggest whitetail with a .243......Wanna arm wrestle...LOL..Bullet placement.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not down on all 6MMs. I have a 6-284 and a 6mm Rem and love them both. It's just the .243 W that sucks.
elmer

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 10:19 PM

It's just the .243 W that sucks.

wtf
Posted By: JCB

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 10:25 PM

I use to be kind of down on the 243. I'm a magnum fanatic and always thought the 243 was a bit on the puny side. Once I got tired of burning up high dollar magnum ammo on pigs I gave the 243 a try. I was very impressed with how it handled some very large Boars. Didn't always get an exit with it but more times than not the pig was laying right where it once stood.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/25/18 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
It's just the .243 W that sucks.

wtf

I was beginning to think EVERYONE has me on "ignore!"
grin

Originally Posted By: JCB
I use to be kind of down on the 243. I'm a magnum fanatic and always thought the 243 was a bit on the puny side. Once I got tired of burning up high dollar magnum ammo on pigs I gave the 243 a try. I was very impressed with how it handled some very large Boars. Didn't always get an exit with it but more times than not the pig was laying right where it once stood.

The right bullet in the right place will tend to do that.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/26/18 01:41 PM

300 Blackout for pigs.

Like a few others, I was an early adaptor and thought it was the schiznet!
I really tried to like it.
Wasted a monumental waste of time doing load development for a caliber that didn't deliver.
I watched more hogs run off with the 300BO than ANY other caliber I tried, even .22 LR.
It was accurate but has no sack.

Yeah, it's easy to make the first shot while they are standing still but once they start moving, you might as well chunk rocks at them or use your .22.

Switched to 6.8 with ARP barrels and never looked back.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/26/18 02:52 PM

Question- for you 300 blk out nay sayers, what bullet (or bullets) did you try or shoot that was a let down?

The reason I ask, is I have been shooting the blk out for 5 seasons now as my main rifle for hunting. I absolutely love the round. I have been running the 125 grain SST or 125 Ballistic Tip, and occasionally the 115 Berger. I have taken MANY animals over the last 5 seasons. I use a Rem 700 bolt gun for my stand hunting, and an AR-15 for night hunting.

If you are using subsonics for performance evaluation, then yes, it's a downer. A blk out sub round is pushing a 200-220 grain bullet about 1000 fps, which is equivalent to a 45 ACP handgun round, without an expanding bullet. I think of the subs like a golf term- You drive for show and putt for dough. The show is the subs, and the dough is the supers for hunting when it matters.

And some of the factory ammo use a match bullet or non-expanding bullet in their super sonic, full power ammo.

When you use the right bullet (an expanding hunting bullet), the performance is very good. The recovered 125 grain bullets I have seen were perfect mushroom shaped, and often were recovered under the far side skin. That's a good performing round.

I do agree, the blk out is a low power round compared to other larger round. You do have to use it within it's limitations. But I think hunters who use the round and have a big negative on it, are not using the right bullets. I know this because I yield many phone calls about this discussion on the round.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/26/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
300 Blackout for pigs.

Wasted a monumental waste of time doing load development for a caliber that didn't deliver.
I watched more hogs run off with the 300BO than ANY other caliber I tried, even .22 LR.

Yeah, it's easy to make the first shot while they are standing still but once they start moving, you might as well chunk rocks at them or use your .22.

Vern, you make some pretty good posts on here and I don't doubt you generally know what you are talking about. You can't seriously believe the 22 is a better round. I have dropped enough pigs on the run with my blackout to know it works. Put a round through their boiler room with it and they usually don't get too far. Not a whole lot different than the videos on here you see of guys shoulder shooting them with a .308 Win and they keep going. Its not a 30-06, but it does the trick.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/26/18 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Vern1
300 Blackout for pigs.

That's very strange. My 300 blk is a pig killing machine and performs VERY well with the ammo I am using. It's a slower round, so after the first shot and the rest of the sounder runs....just had to learn how much to lead them, then pigs started rolling. Excellent penetration with the Barnes and perfect mushroom. I do like the 6.8 too, good performance & definitely faster but I'm fond of the Blackout.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 02/26/18 04:11 PM

Loading for a buddie's .22 Hornet. Just couldn't get that thing to make any speed, or very much consistency. He stuck it in tbe back of the safe once he got a .223 and I developed a load for it.
Posted By: rickt300

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/05/18 03:38 AM

243 here, good killer if you treat it like it's a 22-250 but otherwise it doesn't measure up along with being a barrel eater.
Posted By: spg

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/05/18 04:59 AM

Never was disappointed in a caliber, got into magnum cartidges in my younger days and was disappointed in the brass life so I went back to non magnums.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/05/18 05:32 AM

Once. I shot one very large boar with a 5.56mm - it turned and ran away and I swear was laughing at me. I've never shot another with that caliber again.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/05/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Earl
Once. I shot one very large boar with a 5.56mm - it turned and ran away and I swear was laughing at me. I've never shot another with that caliber again.

well did you honestly expect it to drop on the spot and never twitch?

i'm seeing the .223/5.56mm a lot in this thread?

are the guys using it novices/just got into hunting after getting an AR?
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/05/18 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

If you use .30-06 shot placement with a .223, you're gonna be disappointed. That's what I gather is/has happened.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/05/18 11:39 PM

Well they do with my .270 smile Even downs 2 at a time with that one (though I admit the 2nd one usually needs another shot to stop the twitchin". I at least want the animal to leave a blood trail. I got nothing with that 5.56mm - no downed animal, no blood - nothing...just a laughing big boar. I freely admit the shot placement on that specimen was not good. On hogs I mostly just want them dead or in the next county. Depending on shot placement the .270 doesn't always drop them, but there will be blood.

I got something else I'm going to try on them this year (going a little old school for fun) but I'm pretty sure it will put em down..older Marlin's in .35 Remington and 45-70.

Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 12:08 AM

Well they do with my .270 smile Even downs 2 at a time with that one (though I admit the 2nd one usually needs another shot to stop the twitchin". I at least want the animal to leave a blood trail. I got nothing with that 5.56mm - no downed animal, no blood - nothing...just a laughing big boar. I freely admit the shot placement on that specimen was not good. On hogs I mostly just want them dead or in the next county. Depending on shot placement the .270 doesn't always drop them, but there will be blood.

I got something else I'm going to try on them this year (going a little old school for fun) but I'm pretty sure it will put em down..older Marlin's in .35 Remington and 45-70.

I love my Marlin guide gun in 45/70. I shoot hot rod reloads and it will pack a punch on both ends of the rifle.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 12:51 AM

Shoot those hogs in the head with a 243 and they will go down. One of the best for me.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 01:15 AM

I’m disappointed in people that can’t shoot well enough to kill a deer with a 243.
Posted By: turbotj

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 01:21 AM

Yep! After over a 100 hundred animals dropped dead to the 30'06, I finally had one run almost 65 yards..what a POS cartridge, should have switched to a 7mm-08 (which is what I currently shoot) or the 6.5 CM sooner I guess LOL! Match the cartridge to the game guys and you will never be disappointed! I assume you wouldn't go bear hunting with a switch or would you?

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 02:58 AM

Agreed. I have a new Seekins AR that I need to get out and sight in. I don't know if I will use it for any hogs but it will be in my hands for varmints/predators for sure. Earl

Originally Posted By: turbotj
Yep! After over a 100 hundred animals dropped dead to the 30'06, I finally had one run almost 65 yards..what a POS cartridge, should have switched to a 7mm-08 (which is what I currently shoot) or the 6.5 CM sooner I guess LOL! Match the cartridge to the game guys and you will never be disappointed! I assume you wouldn't go bear hunting with a switch or would you?
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 02:04 PM

Being disappointed in a caliber is kind of like being disappointed in a socket wrench.
Use the right tool for the job, you won’t be disappointed. Use the wrong one, you will.

It’s not the tool’s fault.

(Being disappointed in a particular tool because it’s faulty (inaccurate) is a different subject.)
Posted By: spg

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/06/18 07:42 PM

Never shoot a large caliber animal with a small caliber gun.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/07/18 11:26 AM

Not really defending the 222 as a deer cartridge but: Bought one for my Wife over 25 years ago. She killed 3 deer with it and passed to Grandson. He probably killed 3 or 4 deer and about that many hogs with none lost. I have probably killed 3 deer with it. Only one lost and it was a bad shot on my part. If you poke a hole in the right place, just about anything works.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/07/18 11:53 AM

Most disappointed with 45-70. Expected much but with hogs it seems that there is little "shock" value with it. Never had one drop, they would run off and die but in thick brush it was not the cal. I expected.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/07/18 12:28 PM

Maybe your bullet choice could be better.
Posted By: 68A

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/07/18 01:15 PM

Quite the opposite. I’m not the type to take pictures of the animals I shoot, but I could add a few pages to this conversation with pigs that were killed with a .223/5.56. In fairness, I have lost two, but it was entirely my fault on making a bad shot.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/07/18 03:22 PM

I think guys are liking the fact they have an accurate, semi-automatic, with a detachable mag. .223/5.56 are the most plentiful, but they are not going to perform like a 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, or a .308 in an AR-10 platform. Many people finally realize that, and end up with an AR chambered in one those cartridges, eventually.

My opinion, of course.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Ever been disappointed in a caliber? - 03/07/18 06:43 PM

.280 Ross
any WSSM
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum