Texas Hunting Forum

AR Hunting Sling?

Posted By: Gangly

AR Hunting Sling? - 02/20/18 08:06 PM

For those of you who use your AR platform for hunting, what choice of slings did you go with and why?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/20/18 08:09 PM

Best sling I know of:

https://www.riflesonly.com/carbine-long-gun-sling
Posted By: kry226

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 01:34 AM

I run a padded Vickers Tactical in the coyote brown/FDE largely due to my needing a quality sling for walking a few miles in Afghanistan, to walking a few miles in the Panhandle. It easily swaps between rifles when necessary, matches the colors I would need in likely locations, fits over body armor, and quickly adjusts down to thin summer-time hunting wear.

There are a good number of quality slings on the market and some not-so-good slings. This one works for me, but it's largely a preferential thing.
Posted By: SR025

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 01:43 AM

VTAC or VCAS
Posted By: VAFish

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 02:12 AM

So AR Slings kind of depend upon how you plan on using the sling.

A 2 point sling is best for keeping your gun handy, think of a soldier standing at a guard post, they need the gun right there in front of them easy to deploy without having to hold the gun in their hands all the time.

A single point sling is more for weapons retention where the operator hold the gun in their hands most of the time, but doesn't want to lose control of the weapon. Think more of a SWAT officer entering a building, then needing to put hands on a suspect and cuff them.

I prefer a single point sling because if I am stalking or still hunting I have the AR in my hands, but it still holds the gun well enough for me to climb in and out of tree or tripod stands. I also like the single attachment point, I can unhook the sling and put the rifle in the truck while leaving the sling on me. When I get out of the truck again I just hook up to the rifle.

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 02:16 AM

^^^ you forgot to add single points are also really good for having your rifle hit you in the junk or shins.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 02:16 AM

Padded VTAC or the Magpul MS3
Posted By: Tye

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 03:03 AM

Padded vtac
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 03:46 AM

Haley strategic
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 12:57 PM

Padded VTAC or padded Magpul. I have both and they work great......I prefer a 2 point so I can spot and stalk if I want to with the rifle across my front profile with my hands free to carry my shooting sticks and use my binos, but the rifle is always at the ready position.
Posted By: songdogslayer

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 01:36 PM

Another vote for padded vtac
Posted By: VAFish

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: SR025
^^^ you forgot to add single points are also really good for having your rifle hit you in the junk or shins.

Very true. Hence the reason you usually keep the gun in your hands.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 02:23 PM

Thanks for all of the great suggestions guys. I was looking at the VTAC's yesterday and thought they were pretty ideal for my needs, and after reading your suggestions I believe I have the needed reasoning and advice to feel comfortable with the purchase. Thanks!
Posted By: ccoker

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 02:30 PM

padded VTAC / end thread
Posted By: winner

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 03:06 PM

I asked a Marine what I should use for my AR10. he said very clearly, "3 point". No other words were spoken, no other words needed. I ordered immediately and have never questioned it.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: winner
I asked a Marine what I should use for my AR10. he said very clearly, "3 point". No other words were spoken, no other words needed. I ordered immediately and have never questioned it.

That’s because that’s what he was issued and has never used anything better not because he is the know all sling God.

In the Army we were always issues those 3 point slings that stretched. They sucked and I Always used my personal sling. I prefer a 2 point with a quick adjust strap. That way it can be adjusted easily for wearing or not wearing gear same as wearing summer clothing or winter clothing while hunting. Those 3 points the military are trash just like any other item issued by military, they use the cheapest available. Most service member just get use to using poor equipment and don’t know any better I was one of them.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: winner

That’s because that’s what he was issued and has never used anything better not because he is the know all sling God.

In the Army we were always issues those 3 point slings that stretched. They sucked and I Always used my personal sling. I prefer a 2 point with a quick adjust strap. That way it can be adjusted easily for wearing or not wearing gear same as wearing summer clothing or winter clothing while hunting. Those 3 points the military are trash just like any other item issued by military, they use the cheapest available. Most service member just get use to using poor equipment and don’t know any better I was one of them.

True
Posted By: 9x19

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 09:59 PM

Just curious, why does a hunting AR need a different sling from a hunting bolt gun, etc.?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: 9x19
Just curious, why does a hunting AR need a different sling from a hunting bolt gun, etc.?

They are built differently. Stocks have different positions. Different type of attachments on ARs then bolt actions most the time. Plus a leather sling would look stupid on an AR.
Posted By: JCB

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/21/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: 9x19

First time I ever put a sling on a AR it was a full size 20" A2 stock. I had it set up to use the same Super Sling I used on my bolt action rifle at the time. HUGE MISTAKE!! The weight distribution of a AR is completely different and the gun constantly wanted to slip into the horizontal position on my shoulder instead of the upright vertical position that a bolt action rifle would remain in with the same sling. AR's just don't do well with the same shoulder carry position that is so common with a bolt action.

After that I tried a single point sling. That was even worse!

2 point padded Vtac is the way to go.
Posted By: okjhutch

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/22/18 09:25 PM

New to the AR world, where does one buy slings for them and the swivel or sling attachments? Mine has a hole on butt for the clip (I believe)but nothing on the front area.
thanks
Posted By: JCB

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/22/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: okjhutch
New to the AR world, where does one buy slings for them and the swivel or sling attachments? Mine has a hole on butt for the clip (I believe)but nothing on the front area.
thanks

Gun shows, gun stores, and even some large retailers like Academy sell AR parts and accessories.

Most people use the quick detach socket type sling attachements. The female part of the set up has become standard with a lot of stock makers and rail makers building them into their product. The male push button part is usually sold in pairs and they go on your sling of choice. I have seen them at Academy and many other places as well. I really wish makers of bolt action guns would pick up on this sling attachment design and build it into their guns as well.
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/22/18 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: okjhutch
thanks

Here's what I used for the front.

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/23/18 12:08 AM

Impact weapons components

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: AR Hunting Sling? - 02/23/18 05:14 AM

Good info up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum