Texas Hunting Forum

Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/09/18 10:51 AM

Quote:
Browning has announced that John Browning’s final handgun design, a pistol that at one time armed most of the militaries in the Free World, has been discontinued.

In a notice posted on their website, the company advised that “although it is possible to still find a few Hi-Power pistols at dealers across the U.S., the Hi-Power is technically out of production. Current dealer inventories will be the last available from Browning for the foreseeable future.” The gun was a classic of the 20th Century.

Famous American firearms inventor John Browning began work on the double-stack, single-action 9mm for Fabrique Nationale of Herstal, Belgium as an evolution of his venerable turn of the century handguns and, by 1923, filed a patent on his work. Though Browning died before the Hi-Power was fully realized, Dieudonne Saive completed the design and by 1935 the revolutionary 13+1 shot combat handgun was ready for production.

http://www.guns.com/2018/02/08/iconic-browning-hi-power-ends-production-after-more-than-80-years/

Many such as myself consider this one of the finest handguns in the world. Will certainly impact the collectors market making any Hi-Power a collector instead of just the full Belgiums.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/09/18 10:57 AM

The first American “hi-cap” pistol. A classic. Kinda sad to think they won’t be making them anymore.

I had one but sold it simply because its grip did not fit me well. Wish I had kept it now.

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/09/18 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
The first American “hi-cap” pistol. A classic. Kinda sad to think they won’t be making them anymore.

I had one but sold it simply because its grip did not fit me well. Wish I had kept it now.

It was the grip that sold me on Hi-Powers, there was just something about the way it sits in the hand. I've yet to find a pistol that sits so comfortably in my hands. Most on here know I'm a collector of old Hi-Powers (245 series and older), now it looks like all are on the collectors list, even the Portugal's.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/09/18 01:50 PM

always wanted one since I saw Serpico
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/09/18 02:49 PM

Sad day! The hi power makes my list of top 5 pistols.
Posted By: janie

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/09/18 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: hetman
always wanted one since I saw Serpico

And that's one pistol I've always wanted to shoot. Just haven't had the opportunity.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/11/18 12:19 AM

It wouldn’t surprise me if FN does the same thing with the Hi-Power it did with the Winchester Model 94 - start making special editions and really jack the price up.
Posted By: crash700

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/11/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: booradley
It wouldn’t surprise me if FN does the same thing with the Hi-Power it did with the Winchester Model 94 - start making special editions and really jack the price up.

Thats a possibility. I like the Hi Power and am a bit surprised that production has ended. I don't see them being an issue to sell, but I'm sure theres some underlying plan like was mentioned above.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/11/18 11:21 PM

Disagree that it was John Brownings last, or best, design....
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/12/18 12:05 AM

I had a couple and thought they were the cat's meow until I fired my first Sig P228. That was an eye opener.

Re: Iconic Browning Hi-Power ends production after more than 80 years. - 02/12/18 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
I had a couple and thought they were the cat's meow until I fired my first Sig P228. That was an eye opener.

I carry a 226 or a 239.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum