Texas Hunting Forum

308 go/no-go gauge to borrow

Posted By: Korean Redneck

308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 08:38 PM

May be a long shot but anyone have a set of 308 go/no-go gauge set I can borrow?

I replaced the bolt head on a savage rifle and I'd like to check before firing. Measured what I could and inserted an unprimed, fl sized piece of brass and seems fine but I'd really like to double check.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 08:42 PM

If you add one layer thickness of masking tape to the shoulder of your case, it should be about .006" thick. Try and close the bolt on this case and see if you have any resistance. It's a redneck way of doing it, but, hey, it fits your handle name. If no resistance, add another layer, and measure how thick 2 pieces is and see if it has resistance.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: 308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 08:44 PM

I actually did try that trick but I'm a risk averse, aka scaredy cat, in my professional and personal life. I just didn't feel all that confident in this method.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
If you add one layer thickness of masking tape to the head of your case, it should be about .006" thick. Try and close the bolt on this case and see if you have any resistance. It's a redneck way of doing it, but, hey, it fits your handle name. If no resistance, add another layer, and measure how thick 2 pieces is and see if it has resistance.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 09:23 PM

The head would be better!
Posted By: LuckyDucker_TTU

Re: 308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 09:28 PM

I rented one from 4drentals when I replaced the barrel on one of my ARs. Couldn’t find one to borrow and didn’t want to buy so I rented.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 308 go/no-go gauge to borrow - 02/05/18 10:49 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The head would be better!

That's what she said.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum