Texas Hunting Forum

Headed to the range PICs UP !!

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Headed to the range PICs UP !! - 02/05/18 04:25 PM

awfully cold but no wind going to "ladder" these cutting edge bullets.

1. Will the temp make ammo slower?
2. Will clouds F up my chronograph readings?
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 04:31 PM

1. Will the temp make ammo slower? Yes, it can. Depending on which powder you run. When it's this cold, I put my ammo in a cooler with a heating pad to keep the ammo warm. But even Hodgdon temp stable powder will have a slight effect on the speeds when it's this cold compared to 90-100 degree summer time.

2. Will clouds F up my chronograph readings? Depends on what chrono you are running. If you have one with sky screens, the clouds act like a sky screen, so you shoot the rounds through the chrono without the sky screens. If the sun comes out, put the sky screens on.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 04:32 PM

What chronograph?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 06:25 PM

It's way to cold for you
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 06:42 PM

Surely Buzz is going to an indoor range?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 06:43 PM

I think he's gonna buy one.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 09:54 PM

just got back, it was perfect

its a Pro Chrono and it worked fine

I'm giving up on the Cutting Edge bullet experiment.

i'll post pictures later bang

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 10:53 PM

Buzz, can you calculate the bearing surface of those CE bullets?

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 11:31 PM

Chad, I'll bring you some, you can play with them.

Again, my Barrett Fieldcraft is 1X8 twist, 21" #1 contour barrel, Hunting only , so its strictly a one or two shot rifle. Just crazy a rifle which shoots normal bullets pretty decent, the Cutting Edge at patterns not even groups.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Headed to the range - 02/05/18 11:41 PM

Yeah, that seems awful
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 12:14 AM

100 yards?

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 12:34 AM

Did you do a proper load workup this time?
Posted By: ckat

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Did you do a proper load workup this time?

I see random charges of 3 different powders per target...

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 01:00 AM

no work up, if they don't work right off the bat, I'll dump them and move on. To me its not worth the aggravation. Just like the ELDX. They shot good the first time, I didn't have to shoot it 50 times to know it will work. Same with the Ballistic Tip and the Berger Elite Hunter. I just use the standard 42.4 H-4350, and it works.

I'll leave the barrel burning experimenting to the young'uns. Plus I'm not that good of a rifleman to hold the rifle perfect 30 times and pull one and say the load is wrong.

Now my Fairbanks Custom 6.5 Creed will shoot much better than me. It took one whole load to find the noode

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 01:38 AM

Cheese and crackers....
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 01:54 AM

So you're trying multiple powders and arbitrary powder charges at the same time?

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
no work up, if they don't work right off the bat, I'll dump them and move on. To me its not worth the aggravation. Just like the ELDX. They shot good the first time, I didn't have to shoot it 50 times to know it will work. Same with the Ballistic Tip and the Berger Elite Hunter. I just use the standard 42.4 H-4350, and it works.

I'll leave the barrel burning experimenting to the young'uns. Plus I'm not that good of a rifleman to hold the rifle perfect 30 times and pull one and say the load is wrong.

Now my Fairbanks Custom 6.5 Creed will shoot much better than me. It took one whole load to find the noode

You are exhausting.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 01:57 AM

I know.....

I need to just "shut up and shoot"

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 02:03 AM

Pick a powder.
Start medium, work up to max.
Find the best charge.
Reproduce said charge.
Play with seating depth.

Then you will know if the rifle will shoot that bullet. What you've done so far is all over the show, with no evidence of an organized scientific experiment.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 02:10 AM

The MTH is a different design, altogether, which you know. Your standard loads can’t be expected to work. Going that route, you may as well save your money on expensive bullets like that. As many as you did waste, you could have done it right the first time, found a great load, and still have more bullets left than you do now. Anyone with MTH experience could have told you not to bother going that route.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 02:12 AM

I'm laughing at his group notes..."Sucked" & "Really Sucked".
Posted By: Judd

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 02:20 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 03:02 AM

Buzz you need to CTFO a little lol. We can make a nice fire without using $100 bills as kindling
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 05:35 AM

In that case I would pay someone to do a load dev or I'd just shoot factory ammo.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 12:15 PM

You guys are hard on Buzz. He is reloading accurate rounds for Eldx, Ballistic Tips & Bergers. I would't waste too much time and money on CEBs either. I'm not really in to messing with $1 a bullet projectiles.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 12:31 PM

Buzz, maybe this would help you? confused2
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7066371/Re:_Rifle_handloading_class,_o#Post7066371

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: scottfromdallas
You guys are hard on Buzz. He is reloading accurate rounds for Eldx, Ballistic Tips & Bergers. I would't waste too much time and money on CEBs either. I'm not really in to messing with $1 a bullet projectiles.

I would agree if he hadn’t already bought the bullets.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 01:53 PM

Thanks Scott my brother who understands my illness

Sneaky , you are right , from now on, I'll stick to the simple way.

SO, who wants to buy the rest of these and see if they will shoot?> confused2
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 02:56 PM

We need to watch out now, Buzz is practicing for March 3. rifle
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 04:04 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

^ Here's your key. Solids have to be spun FAST. My guess is that your twist rate is too slow. You may be able to make some of that up by throwing them harder.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: snarkscarbine

^ Here's your key. Solids have to be spun FAST. My guess is that your twist rate is too slow. You may be able to make some of that up by throwing them harder.

He WANTS 42.4 gr to work! When it doesn't work, the bullet is poop. Why would you suggest he try a different powder charge from 42.4 gr. That's just silly!

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: snarkscarbine

It's not the lack of twist rate causing an accuracy issue. The 2 bullets he is shooting are the 120 MTH and the 130 MTH. With his 1:8" twist, the 120 MTH has a stability factor of 1.63 and the 130 MTH is 1.39. The 1.39 is still plenty stable, and would not be the cause of it shooting bad.
Posted By: Tye

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 04:22 PM

Follow this step by step and it should help ya
http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 04:31 PM

I have not set up my 6.5 dies yet, but I have all the components. As soon as I have time, I'll get everything set up and start loading. Buzzsaw, Thanks for saving me a lot of time working up loads. I'll just go with 42.4 grains and it should work perfectly. Thanks!

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Tye
Follow this step by step and it should help ya
http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/

Quoted: "“10 Round Load Development Ladder Test”. This is a load development approach he has refined to quickly identify accuracy nodes with only 10 rounds. Additional cartridges are then loaded to test and confirm these accuracy nodes."

So, the big print gives it to you, and the small print takes it away. You still haven't found your load yet in 10 rounds.

In a perfect world, this method may work, but it still takes more than 10 rounds to find your load. Secondly, and this is a big one... This method doesn't help you if you have a rifle issue. You can test for only velocity all day long, but if the rifle has a bedding issue or other problem that causes fliers or bad accuracy, you won't know it until you shoot for groups. I see many rifles that have an issue with bedding or other problem causing an accuracy issue. You can not find this problem without shooting old fashion groups.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 05:38 PM

Ladder tells you where to focus your group shooting.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

you just like saying the word "ladder" I'm making my "silly" face now muyloco

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308
We need to watch out now, Buzz is practicing for March 3. rifle

Practice, We talking about Practice, not me, I can barely hold the heavy azz rifle up, much less, steady

Oh, I will need a few (a bunch) of volunteers to help me get into sitting and kneeling position, THEN, help me up
whip

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 07:37 PM

I told BIL the other day, he and I are going to have to get you off the ground.

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 07:46 PM

I told BIL the other day, he and I are going to have to get you off the ground.
flehan
Posted By: Tye

Re: Headed to the range - 02/06/18 08:24 PM

Bingo.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum