Texas Hunting Forum

Impulse buy on a lower today! now what?

Posted By: Olshovel

Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/03/18 08:38 PM

So I was out today running around and stopped by one of the local gun stores. They had a stack of Anderson stripped lowers they are selling for $50. I could not talk myself out of buying one, tried a couple of times. The main thing I kept coming back to is that I have no idea what I would want to build it out as. I have seen a couple of retro builds that I think look interesting, 20" rifle length action with Vietnam era furniture, go for something super light, add a caliber to what I allready have. Too many options. I allready have a Sig 223 and have enjoyed shooting that one. What direction would you advise I go in and why? Just thought it would be interesting to see what everyone would build out if you made an impulse buy on a lower that you had not been looking for!
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/03/18 10:30 PM

6.5 Grendel is what I'd build. I never owned an AR but that caliber interests me....

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/03/18 11:03 PM

I have thought about that one. I need to look into it a little deeper.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/03/18 11:28 PM

Love my 6.5 Grendel. I have a 458 Socom build in the works.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 12:31 AM

Whatever you do, put the right scope on it or you will never hear the end of it.

Congratulations on your purchase!

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 12:33 AM

Thanks. The scope thing sounds like a good story!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 02:44 AM

6.5 Grendel for far away.

.50 Beowolf for up close and personal.
Posted By: fgdn

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 03:11 AM

6.5 Grendel, lots of fun

458 socom, hoot to shoot

9mm, takes the bulls eye out of a target at 15 yards.

next 450 bushmaster, something to think about
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 03:31 AM

Texas is crawling with hogs. 6.5 and 6.8 are proven hog killers. Kinda helps to know what calibers u already have. I have only assumed you want to help kill hogs.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 03:57 AM

6.5 Grendel gets my vote
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 02:26 PM

.224 Valkyrie
Posted By: crash700

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 03:50 PM

I vote 6.5 Grendel, built two of them, I like the round.
Posted By: Big Daddy K

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/04/18 05:37 PM

Love my Grendel. Fun to reload as well.
Look into a Velocity trigger for your trigger option as well. I have them in 3 ARs and really like them so far.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/05/18 12:42 AM

I'll vote 6.5 Grendel as well. I don't have one, yet.

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/07/18 03:01 AM

I appreciate all of the input. I keep going back and forth between a 223 wylde, 20" free floated barrel in one of the national match service rifle float tubes and furniture to have it look like a classic ar rifle. Then I would have two rifles in the same caliber, I currently have a sig m400. They would be different enough to be fun. I have been looking into the 6.5 Grendel, and have decided that if I go into another caliber that would be it, maybe build it out the same way as described above. I am going
G to start putting together a parts and prices list and see which way I end up going, it will be a long term project, only getting funded a little at a time unless I decide to sell something else off!
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/07/18 11:56 AM

Go back and pick up a few more loweres.

Lots of things to build. .300 blk pistol or SBR, 6.5 or 6.8, a dedicated. 22 lr for some plinking fun, a retro M16a1. Retro XM-177 or CAR15. That's at least 4 or 5 more. Cool thing about having a pile of stripped lowers around. You can pick up a barrel here, an upper there, get a lowere parts kit every now and then and suddenly you have enough parts to build another rifle and the wife never saw a big hit in the budget.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/07/18 12:45 PM

Another vote for 6.5 Grendel, probably build one in the future.

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/08/18 03:23 AM

There are quite a few calibers to choose from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AR_platform_calibers

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/09/18 06:00 PM

I think I am leaning toward the 6.5 Grendel, 223 Wylde is also one I am looking at pretty hard. I think I will just keep a watch on what kind of deals might pop up, that may determine what it ends up becoming! With that in mind I would like to go ahead and start adding the little parts until the caliber makes itself known. For you guys that have built a few of these, which direction do you typically go with the lpk's? Doesn't have to be Colt or FN for me , but I would like parts that are good quality and are the sizes they need to be!

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/11/18 05:01 AM

Colt uses different size pins. Is this going to be a fun gun or something you plan to keep and hunt with? Personally, I think stock triggers suck. I prefer to get a LPK without a trigger group and then get an aftermarket trigger. A CMC is a great trigger for the price. There are also much nicer triggers at all different prices.

Re: Impulse buy on a lower today! now what? - 02/13/18 10:43 PM

I am pretty sure I am going to keep and hunt with this one, that's why I am leaning toward the 6.5. Although, I did see an article a couple of days ago about a heavier grain, solid copper bullet that has been extremely successful taking down hogs. The bullet is a 62 grain , made by Maker bullets called the "overwatch".
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum