Texas Hunting Forum

**Free float ar rail need it mounted**

Posted By: DeerSlayer31

**Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/17/18 11:02 PM

I'm located in Mesquite and want to try to stay in this area. Anybody local who can take my current one off and put the new one on for me?
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/18/18 01:26 AM

Morgan

Dallas shooting supplies

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/18/18 01:36 AM

Is he still in Rowlett or is his shop somewhere else?

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 01:10 AM

I emailed him, he no longer does that stuff only machining.
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 01:22 AM

If I lived in the area I'd gladly help you out...It's really easy to do with the right tools. Surely somebody in the Dallas area has the tools and could help you out.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 01:24 AM

which ones are you taking off and putting on?

Most of them do not require special tooling, but some do *cough* knights armament *cough*
Posted By: MacDaddy21

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Cleric

Most of them do not require special tooling, but some do *cough* knights armament *cough*

If he is swapping out to a rail that attaches with a proprietary barrel nut like several out there (Midwest Industries, Odin Works, etc) the existing barrel nut has to be removed along with the gas system, new barrel nut installed and re-torqued, gas system reinstalled and rail installed. Not hard with a vise and vise block for the upper and a torque wrench, and the correct tool for the barrel nut, but those tools are quite helpful/required.
Posted By: Cleric

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: MacDaddy21
Originally Posted By: Cleric

If he is swapping out to a rail that attaches with a proprietary barrel nut like several out there (Midwest Industries, Odin Works, etc) the existing barrel nut has to be removed along with the gas system, new barrel nut installed and re-torqued, gas system reinstalled and rail installed. Not hard with a vise and vise block for the upper and a torque wrench, and the correct tool for the barrel nut, but those tools are quite helpful/required.

yep and if the current hand guard is a special tooling it could be difficult. The new one should have the proper tool, but not all

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 02:19 AM

The current one is a cheap Chinese 4 rail free float. The new one is used and different from the current one. I'll drive around Dallas to get it done just don't want to pay an arm and a leg.

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 02:19 AM

The guy who put on the original one for me just used a vise and no special tools I just don't have a vise currently.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 02:39 AM

Call rifle gear see if they can while you wait
Posted By: SR025

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Call rifle gear see if they can while you wait

This
Posted By: BobG

Re: **Free float ar rail need it mounted** - 01/19/18 04:20 AM

Buddy if you don't mind coming to Denton, I can do it for you. PM sent
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum