Texas Hunting Forum

gonna take a bite of humble pie

Posted By: txtrophy85

gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 09:10 PM

Fireman, Chad, an all the others who told me to build my own rifle on my thread awhile back, well, I took the long road around.

I'm still waiting on one other bid on a rifle but my new plan is to buy a LH remmy 700 sps, have it restocked, cerakoted, brake installed, etc. for much much less than a custom build on the same action.

Question....this rifle comes with a 26" barrel. should I have it cut to 24", recrowned with a brake installed? or put up with the .300 win mag unbraked and see how it shoots?

anything else you guys recommend? anything besides a Tikka?

Posted By: bronco71

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 09:20 PM

I have a 300 WM without a brake and a braked 30-378 Weatherby Mag and prefer to shoot the bigger one with the brake.....except for the ammo cost
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 09:29 PM

Cut to 24" and add a brake.

As for what are the other options besides Tikkas that is an almost endless list of possibilities, many discussed in the other thread.

If I remember the other thread, you like Weatherby rifles. How about having their custom shop build what you want?

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 10:41 PM

Tx, I talked to horizon at DSC. their current turn around time on most builds is only 4-6 weeks if I remember right. Got to look at their in house Iota stocks, and was pretty impressed. I’d give Derrick a call.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 10:51 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
Fireman, Chad, an all the others who told me to build my own rifle on my thread awhile back, well, I took the long road around.

I'm still waiting on one other bid on a rifle but my new plan is to buy a LH remmy 700 sps, have it restocked, cerakoted, brake installed, etc. for much much less than a custom build on the same action.

Question....this rifle comes with a 26" barrel. should I have it cut to 24", recrowned with a brake installed? or put up with the .300 win mag unbraked and see how it shoots?

I think you've made a good choice. I personally don't like a brake but that's up to you. I shoot the 300 Weatherby all the time and see no need for a brake plus the increase in dB is not something I enjoy.
Posted By: mikei

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

TxTrophy, I've found that over the many years I've been eating humble pie, if I wash it down with a bit Crow (liquefied in the food processor, of course) it goes down a bit better. :_)
Posted By: J.G.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 11:35 PM

banana2 (can I say "told ya so"?)...peep

7 Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, ect, I've got a policy....

26" to an 11° crown AND add a brake. It aint no big deal to maneuver. Carried it deer hunting yesterday, not a problem at all. But I am rarely in a blind.

It'll shoot as good as the ammo you load for it will shoot. And, see the rifle Red Snake had built? I can give you that builders number. Not wanting to commit his time, but I bet you have a finished rifle in 5 weeks or less, after you send him the parts. He also builds all mine, and Chad's, and they are laser beams.
Posted By: Teal28

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/09/18 11:51 PM

Cut it and add the break. It’s not bad with out it but noticeable difference with it.
Pull break off and add thread protector when needed.
Posted By: postoak

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 12:06 AM

I'd rather you added a suppressor than a brake. Don't suppressors also function somewhat as a brake?
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 12:55 AM

I am with FJG on barrel length 26 inches, but for a hunting rifle I prefer no brake. You have a lot of powder to burn, and a longer tube will let you get the most out of it.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:18 AM

I absolutely hate 26" barrels on hunting rifles, but with a magnum I think they serve a useful purpose so I would leave it. If it was a non magnum cartridge I would have it cut down before I ever loaded the first round. Muzzle brakes are personal preference, but I personally would not install a brake. I just don't think the reduction in recoil is enough to outweigh the extra noise and blast.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:19 AM

26” and a brake.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:23 AM

No brake, rifle is loud, need hearing protection.

Brake, rifle is loud, need hearing protection, and you have half the recoil.

Why not use a brake? Just because of by-standers?

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

All the more reason to use a brake. Clears out the bench.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

All the more reason to use a brake. Clears out the bench.

It does for sure. Last time I was out at the range I had a 308 with a Gen 2 Lil Bastard and the guy next to me huffed and puffed and moved to another spot.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:43 AM

Guess I'm conditioned to it. Spotted for no telling how many braked rifles. Touch it off, and I won't even flinch looking through the spotting scope.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 01:51 AM

Brake and cap

Brake for the range, cap for hunting

Max 24"
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Brake and cap

Max 24"

Would there not be a PoI change removing the brake? Asking because I really don’t know. I’d think you were messing with barrel harmonics plus the gas being expelled differently.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 02:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Brake and cap

Max 24"

Would there not be a PoI change removing the brake? Asking because I really don’t know. I’d think you were messing with barrel harmonics plus the gas being expelled differently.

If the barrel is thin enough, yes. Taking off the brake, and putting a thread protector on, can make a great load shoot like crap, as well as shift POI.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 03:05 AM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird

If I remember the other thread, you like Weatherby rifles. How about having their custom shop build what you want?

that's the other bid i'm waiting on

a weatherby ultralight in .300 WM

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 03:29 AM

Like fireman I’m not adverse to brakes at all.

On light weight magnum calibers I like them because they reduce barrel jump and I can see where I hit

I’m torn on leaving the barrel at 26” because I believe in long barrels on magnums

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 03:43 AM

For me a brake on a hunting rifle allows more opportunity for stuff to enter end of barrel. Adds length. Lastly just does not look right in my eye.

I made recommendation because if I recall purpose of rifle is for Western/Mountain hunting.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 03:49 AM

Allows more stuff in the barrel? There’s already a hole there, you know.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Allows more stuff in the barrel? There’s already a hole there, you know.

Really?? Thanks for the post learned a lot.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 04:06 AM

Any time.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 06:27 AM

APR running a special right now on rifles.....if I needed another one I would go that route.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 12:39 PM

Brakes are for shooting rifles, not hunting rifles. If recoil is not an issue (a la won’t be shooting the rifle at the bench a lot, at competitions, at prairie dogs, etc.) there’s really no need to turn a rifle into a blaster and all that comes with that.

I’m no gun guru but I don’t think 26” is necessary to wring just about everything out of a .300 like it is on some rifles (a .264, for example). Compactness helps if you are carrying a rifle a lot (on your shoulder, on a pack, etc.)

2cents
Posted By: Cast

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/10/18 02:10 PM

Add a suppressor instead.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 01:48 AM

this ordeal is making my head spin.

the sps when restocked and worked, brake added, etc. will be the same as a off the shelf Montana rifle and weigh just the same.

handled some kimbers today and while i'm not a Kimber fan, they are extremely light. wish they made a left handed gun, if they did the search would be over.

My only hope to getting a semblance of what i'm wanting (lightweight mountain gun) is a weatherby ultralight. If that fails i'm gonna have to do a extreme custom build, something like a Rifles INC.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 02:47 AM

I got you at $2097 using premium parts in stock to include a McMillan edge and Proof barrel. Could actually make that cheaper using cheaper parts.

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 03:03 AM

Donor Rem 700 BDL $500
Barrel $350
Gunsmith chamber and thread $350
Gunsmith timed brake $100 (optional)
Gunsmith bedding $100
McMillan or Manners $550 using the hindged floor plate.
Brake $50 (Harrels)
Blast and cerakote $100 (optional)

Total: $1850-$2100
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 03:05 AM

On Gunbroker. Never shot one. Heard good things. Just throwing it out there.

Posted By: DocHorton

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 03:48 AM

Donor Rem 700 BDL $500
Barrel $350
Gunsmith bedding $100
Brake $50 (Harrels)

Who does cerakote for a complete rifle for $100? I'd like their info please, best I have found is about $175.

Also, he can get a nice HS Precision, BC, or Greyboe for $250-350 and save a little money, just a thought.

The special that APR is running is a hell of a deal with a custom action....

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676991

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 04:43 AM

Thanks for the input guys gonna look into every option

Re: gonna take a bite of humble pie - 01/11/18 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
Donor Rem 700 BDL $500
Barrel $350
Gunsmith bedding $100
Brake $50 (Harrels)

Who does cerakote for a complete rifle for $100? I'd like their info please, best I have found is about $175.

Also, he can get a nice HS Precision, BC, or Greyboe for $250-350 and save a little money, just a thought.

The special that APR is running is a hell of a deal with a custom action....

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676991

No leftys available on that deal.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum