Texas Hunting Forum

Question about action screws

Posted By: Big A

Question about action screws - 01/08/18 05:41 PM

I have a tikka ctr that I have had the action screw come loose before.

I put this into a Mcmillan Stock torqued to about 40lbs and they came lose over the weekend hunting do I need to try a little loctite to help or more torque.

Stock is new
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 06:09 PM

40 ft lb or inch pounds?

I hope inch pounds.

But found this thread that says 51-51 in lb.

http://www.tikkashooters.com/public_html/gunsmithing/tightening-the-action-screws-on-a-t3/
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 06:16 PM

I would be carefull adding more torque than what you have. Some other users have had issues when going over, maybe they will respond.

I would try some locktight before I really strapped on them, you don't want to overdo it. Torque on action screws depends a lot on what kind of bedding you have. Wood or synthetic no pillar bedded I think 30-40 is what most manufacturers recommend.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 06:20 PM

Loctite is fine. Use the low-strength stuff (blue I think).

40 in-lbs should be fine. Since the CTR has actual metal as the bottom metal, more torque would probably be OK, but I wouldn't personally go past 50 in-lbs. And Loctite will do a better job keeping it secure than more torque will anyway. The Tikka action screws use a pretty big torx bit, so the low-strength Loctite would be totally fine.

I torqued my Tikka Varmint rifle to 55 in-lbs and found out that my action screws were preventing my bolt from closing because the plastic bottom metal had somewhat given way. The CTR shouldn't have that same issue, but there's no reason to go past 40 or 50 anyway IMHO.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 07:12 PM

How many rounds fired before you noticed they were lose?
Originally Posted By: Big A
I have a tikka ctr that I have had the action screw come lose before.

I put this into a Mcmillan Stock torqued to about 40lbs and they came lose over the weekend hunting do I need to try a little loctite to help or more torque.

Stock is new

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 09:23 PM

3 rounds where fired from mounting stock to it being lose.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 09:27 PM

3 rounds makes me wonder if something else is up. I would retorque and try again. If it comes loose again I would maybe consult the stock manufacturer. Did it do it before you replaced the stock?
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 09:54 PM

For what it's worth...I torque mybsfock savage action screws onto my hs stock to 65in-lbs. I've taken them on and off several times and it's never it's never come loose during use.

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 10:08 PM

It has come loose before in the factory stock.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Question about action screws - 01/08/18 10:12 PM

blue or purple locktite 40-50 in-lbs
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Question about action screws - 01/09/18 12:50 AM

Odd that it has happened on both the Tikka and McMillan stocks. Are these the original screws that came with the rifle? Without the stock, do the screws seem to thread properly into the action? I would suggest cleaning/degreasing the action and screw threads thoroughly and torque to specs with red BLUE loctite. Threadlockers will not cure properly with oil residue on the threads. If it comes loose again there is something else going on.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Question about action screws - 01/09/18 04:50 AM

I do mine to 60-65 in-lbs, no Loctite, no problems yet.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Question about action screws - 01/09/18 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
I would suggest cleaning/degreasing the action and screw threads thoroughly and torque to specs with red loctite.

Pretty sure red is semi-permanent and requires heat to remove bolt. Maybe you meant blue?
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Question about action screws - 01/09/18 03:21 PM

I'd use blue if any at all. Maybe even purple.
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Question about action screws - 01/09/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Originally Posted By: Big Fitz
I would suggest cleaning/degreasing the action and screw threads thoroughly and torque to specs with red loctite.

Pretty sure red is semi-permanent and requires heat to remove bolt. Maybe you meant blue?

Yes, thanks for catching that! Red can be removed but heat is required. Use BLUE for this application.
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Question about action screws - 01/09/18 06:10 PM

Nail polish!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum