Texas Hunting Forum

You best and worst shooting rifle

Posted By: Texas Dan

You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 07:29 PM

If you own at least two center fire rifles, you most likly have one rifle that is more accurate than the other. My least accurate rifle is my Marlin 336W. I've never been able to get three-shot groups that are less than two inches with it at 100 yards, with three inch groups being the average. It's also known for producing an occasional flyer. My most accurate rifle is clearly my Weatherby Vanguard Series 2 that has always produced one-inch groups at that same distance.

In retrospect, the Marlin is my most inexpensive center rifle and has the shortest barrel of any rifle that I own. And while the Weatherby is not my most expensive rifle, it does carry the longest barrel.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 07:33 PM

Well, it's obvious that the longer barrel is more accurate of the two because it gets you that much closer to the target. Duh.
LOL!

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Well, it's obvious that the longer barrel is more accurate of the two because it gets you that much closer to the target. Duh.
LOL!

Thank you for pointing out what no one else would have ever recognized for themselves.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 08:27 PM

What year is your 336?
Posted By: JCB

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 08:55 PM

Dan you probably own the only gun on this forum that isn't sub MOA. You can search all over this forum and you will find EVERYONE here shoots 1" groups all day every day no matter what gun they use. They wouldn't lie about it.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 10:14 PM

Least accurate is probably my SKS. Most accurate right now is my Tikka T3 Lite .308. I'm about to get a 6.5 Creedmoor and I suspect whichever one I get may take that distinction away from the Tikka.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 10:23 PM

Least accurate is my .444 Marlin lever action.....because it freakin hurts!
Most accurate is my .30-378 Weatherby Mag in a Sako TRG-S

BUT I have a new 6.5 Creedmoor and a .260AI I just put together that I haven't shot yet.

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
Dan you probably own the only gun on this forum that isn't sub MOA. You can search all over this forum and you will find EVERYONE here shoots 1" groups all day every day no matter what gun they use. They wouldn't lie about it.

All things are relative for sure, and there's likely a reason why I can't shoot my Marlin 336W as accurately as my other rifles. But then, possible reasons why we find some rifles to be more accurate than others is much of the reason behind my post.

But perhaps you're eluding to another reason for my post, to poke others to admit which rifles they can't shoot worth a crap. Could be me, could be the rifle, or maybe a liitle of both. Whatever the case, I don't mind sharing that I own at least one rifle that I can't shoot well.

popcorn

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
What year is your 336?

According to the serial number, it was manufactured in May of 2014.

Would this make it a Remington rather than a true Marlin gun, and would it matter?

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: bronco71
Least accurate is my .444 Marlin lever action.....because it freakin hurts!

An honest gentleman for sure.
Posted By: ckat

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:04 PM

Life is too short to own inaccurate rifles, for me anyway...

If a rifle is not accurate, I will not keep it. The worst one I ever had a NEF Handi in 357. That thing was LUCKY to hit a pie plate at 50 yards. I've even sold several MOA rifles. A 10+ lb. bull barrel varmint rifle needs to shoot better than MOA for it to stay around my house.

As far as most accurate, it's hard to say. I have a few legitimate 1/2MOA (or better) rifles. My Tikkas are the best shooters across the board as far as brands go...
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:08 PM

Best is (probably) my Sako .300 WSM. May be my .270 Sako. May be my .257 Wby. Vanguard. Or may be my cheapo .308 Savage Axis. They all shot good groups with ammo they liked. Honestly, I don’t spend enough time at the range (beyond getting good tight groups with them at sight in) to know for sure which one shoots the best down to the fraction of an inch. Heck, I don’t even measure groups.

Worst is probably my Marlin .336 in .35 Rem. - but I’m kinda basing that on the type gun and the round. Fired it at a target once after I bought it and it hit within a 1” circle at 50 yards. I’ve killed a pile of stuff with it since, but all at 150 yards and under.

I have had a couple of rifles I simply couldn’t get to group well at all - one Kimber and one Remington.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:11 PM

I won’t own an inaccurate rifle for very long. The most accurate rifle I’ve ever owned is my Tikka 22-250. It’s a true one hole gun with three different loads and will shoot anything under an inch at 100. I head shot a deer with it this morning at 155, amazingly it died without taking a step.

The whole deer is marinating for some Christmas jerky, can’t wait.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:22 PM

Best - Remington 700 sendero 270 win
Worst - savage 14 classic 243 win.

After good bedding job the savage is a much better shooter than it was.

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I won’t own an inaccurate rifle for very long.

That's something many might say despite how others might claim it's damn near impossible to get a rifle today that's not accurate enough to kill a deer at an average distance.

Still, a rifle that creates flyers too frequently is one that I would definitely consider parting ways. It makes no difference if it's the shooter or truly the rifle. If it produces frequent duds, why keep it.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:27 PM

Best Remington 700 6.5 creedmoor

Worst might be my Marlin 30/30 but it was my first rifle so I think I'll hold on to it. Dad got it for me when I was about 14 and I'll be hitting 30 this year.
Posted By: Shane431

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:31 PM

Best is Savage 26” heavy barrel 6.5 Creedmoor in McCree chassis

Least accurate is my 8.5” 300 Blackout SBR. Especially shooting subs. But man is it fun!
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/24/17 11:33 PM

Best grouping I've had was 4 shots at 0.072" CTC on new load work up with my 7wsm. I pulled the 5th but knew it instantly. Old load was 0.453" CTC 5 shot.

Worst grouping is the old BDL 30-06 I inherited when my grandfather passed. Never measured but could cover 5 shots with a quarter using factory Remington Core Lokt 165s.

On another note, I don't have nearly as many rifles as many of you, so my results stack up pretty well I think cheers
Posted By: 505ed

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 12:25 AM

Least...a AK 74, or a Simpson Cape gun I have...

Most.. My 6.5-284 on a Tac 300 action...next and very close my Wiseman 375 Ultra..that is a tact driver...
Posted By: sendit

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:02 AM

Worst shooting is/was a Tikka T3Lite

Best, just about anything that is not stamped Tikka
Posted By: Shane431

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:10 AM

I’ll give you $300 for that crappy shooting Tikka.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:26 AM

Hard to say. ALL my weapons out shoot me. Even the bows. confused2
Posted By: Vern1

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:27 AM

99 percent of my shots are between 80 and 125 yards.
I use a 100 yard range to sight in and base my accuracy requirements at that distance.

Best is an old Remington 722 re-chambered in 223 Wylde.

Worst was Bushmaster Carbon15 - it was so flexible we called it the pool noodle and truly a dinner plate size group shooter.
It was so bad I gave it away..
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:40 AM

My worst is my slug gun, and my best is probably my 260 or 338 lapua improved, as my RUM is still at alamo precision waiting on the rings to arrive.
Posted By: tenyearsgone

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:21 PM

Least: SKS
Best: 6.8 AR with White Oak Armament barrel. Shoots .1 moa

Several others are between .2 to .5 moa. They're mostly AR's with good barrels. The Marlin .308 I have will do sub moa, but it's one that was built before Remington bought Marlin.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:22 PM

Hands down, my Winchester M94 Timber Scout chambered in 30-30 Win. The cartridge limits the range a bit, but the average of my five-shot groups has been .74 MOA at 100-yards. I shoot a 170-grain cast bullet. Have no problems ringing gongs out to 300 yards with the scope or ghost ring. Not sure why this rifle is so accurate, but I have the same rifle in 44 Mag, the only two cartridges offered in the Timber Scout, and it is immediately behind the 30-30 in MOA performance. My bolt guns cringe when I pull either of these levers out as they know they are going to get a good trash talk'n.

I'm a practical hunter and don't get upset with MOAs inside of 2.5 as all of my hunting is limited to around 100-yards. I'm a hunter over a bench shooter, and 50 to 60 hogs in a year is a slow year for me.

I like guns and have a lot of them. Worst I've seen is a Ruger 77/44. Despite all the money & time for a drop in trigger and bolt shims, etc., the MOB (Minute of Barn) is such that I cannot guarantee a hit at 100-yards. Awful rifle.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:24 PM

Best: Sako Finnlight 85 243

Worst: Sako Finnlight 85 243. I sent it back to Beretta and they replaced it with a new one. 4” were the best I could get even with handloads.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 01:34 PM

Best: Kleingunther .264 win mag

Worst: Savage 110 6.5 creed (would not shoot but 2" @100) SOLD

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Hands down, my Winchester M94 Timber Scout chambered in 30-30 Win. The cartridge limits the range a bit, but the average of my five-shot groups has been .74 MOA at 100-yards. I shoot a 170-grain cast bullet. Have no problems ringing gongs out to 300 yards with the scope or ghost ring. Not sure why this rifle is so accurate, but I have the same rifle in 44 Mag, the only two cartridges offered in the Timber Scout, and it is immediately behind the 30-30 in MOA performance. My bolt guns cringe when I pull either of these levers out as they know they are going to get a good trash talk'n.

I'm a practical hunter and don't get upset with MOAs inside of 2.5 as all of my hunting is limited to around 100-yards. I'm a hunter over a bench shooter, and 50 to 60 hogs in a year is a slow year for me.

I like guns and have a lot of them. Worst I've seen is a Ruger 77/44. Despite all the money & time for a drop in trigger and bolt shims, etc., the MOB (Minute of Barn) is such that I cannot guarantee a hit at 100-yards. Awful rifle.

My Winchester M94 out shoots my Marlin for sure, but the Marlin has a smoother and cleaner action by far.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 03:13 PM

I have many accurate rifles and have some not as accurate but it's no surprise considering what they are and actions used. A 30-30 shooting 3 inch groups is not an inaccurate rifle. A stone stock baseline Ruger/Remington/Savage shooting 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 is not an inaccurate rifle. Truth be known most hunters truly don't benefit from the high end accurate rifle simply because they're not good shot's. I've out shot many a person using their own rifles. With that said, anybody can become a good shot if they want to, it's all about the trigger. A good shot can shoot a bad trigger but a bad shot can't shoot a 500 dollar trigger.
Posted By: grizzlyman

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/25/17 11:24 PM

Best is my Sako L691 in 300 Wby. Worst is my Dad's old Rem. 742 in 30-06 that I inherited.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/26/17 03:20 PM

Best.... Browning Stainless Steel Stalker in .270
Worst... Enfield .303 Jungle Carbine.

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/26/17 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
With that said, anybody can become a good shot if they want to, it's all about the trigger. A good shot can shoot a bad trigger but a bad shot can't shoot a 500 dollar trigger.

The trigger on my poor-shooting Marlin does happen to be the worst trigger on any rifle I own.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/26/17 05:37 PM

Most accurate is my Savage 10 in 308, 1 inch gun most days, some days I manage to make it shoot better but with my “twitch” it is very difficult. Least accurate is my Browning BAR 30-06, best it will do is 1.5 inches at 100, usualy a solid 2 inch gun. Doesn’t bother me though, it was my dad’s and my first rifle used to kill a deer so it holds a special place within me.
Posted By: Railhead

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/26/17 08:45 PM

I have two that shoot really well. A bone stock Remington 700 BDL 30-06 (my favorite) and a semi-custom Remington 788 7mm-08 (25" ER Shaw barrel, timney trigger and Ramline synthetic stock).

Have a custom built (late 60's) 308 Norma Mag. that shoots really well, just haven't had enough time behind it to compare it to the other two. Ammo is limited and 180's are too much for Texas whitetail, so it sits in the safe looking pretty. And it needs new glass.

Most disappointing is a Remington 722 .257 Roberts. While it's killed everything that we have shot with it and my son has been shooting it since age 11, it's disappointing from the bench for a bolt action rifle. It seems to like the Hornady 117s the best. I don't believe it shoots any better than my 740 Remington 30-06 that belonged to my Grandfather.

Have a few others 30-30, 7.62x39 sks, 243 handy rifle (youth) but as stated above, are accurate for what they are.
Posted By: mikei

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/28/17 01:08 AM

Worst is my Ruger #1 in 30/06: 2 inches at 100 yards from a rest on a good day. Best is my EABCO Model 97D in 6PPC: bug holes at 100 yards, every time I take her out. Hand loads on both rifles.
Posted By: Nontypical3006

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/28/17 08:33 AM

Best: TC ProHunter in 204 Ruger. Shoots 1/4” groups

Worst: probably the Savage 99 in 308 I got from my grandpa. It’s 1 1/2” - 2”
Posted By: JESmith

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/28/17 05:43 PM

Best rifle was a slicked up Interarms Mark X in 25.06 AI. Worst rifle was a Ruger Mini 30.
Posted By: supersixfour

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/29/17 03:46 PM

Best: Savage 111 .270, shoot .4's@ 100 with factory ammo
Worst: NEF Handi rifle in 243, 8" at 100 with just about everything I put through it
Posted By: Bbear

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/31/17 02:56 AM

Best rifle is a Win Mod. 70 with a Pac-nor barrel in 6.5x55.
Worst is probably the Model 94 30 Win from my grandfather.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: You best and worst shooting rifle - 12/31/17 04:38 AM

Best - Tikka CTR 6.5 creedmoor

Worst - Yugoslavian SKS
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum