Texas Hunting Forum

Fire Damage

Posted By: samhardin

Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:15 AM

I recently lost my Papa in a house fire. Since I was a kid he always told me I could have his guns when he passed. I never wanted to hear that stuff when he would tell me but now the time has come. The guns were in a less than adequate safe and burned. I pulled them out and some what cleaned them up and coated them with oil until I can figure out what to do. They are really the only things he left to me and I really want to try and salvage what I can. I know that if metal gets too hot I can lose its hardness so I'm worried about the integrity. I really hope I can restore them to fully functioning firearms but if not I'd like to at least get them back to what I remember them looking like. I'm looking for any kind of insight any of you may have. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:25 AM

Dayum man, I sure hate to hear this. Prayers for you.
Posted By: Kthnx

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:28 AM

Terrible news. Sorry for your loss. I don't have any information for you, just advice. I would try and find a gun Smith in my area and have him look at each firearm.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:28 AM

The steel did not get hot enough to lose its' hardness. It takes a forge to do that.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:36 AM

Guns get very hot when they are shot, it takes a LOT of heat to hurt the metal.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 05:24 AM

If the metal got hot enough to start tempering the wood would be long gone and any springs would have lost their "spring".

I no longer do general gunsmithing work but can tell you unless these are extremely high end guns any money you put into restoration will be higher than actual value. Sentimental value can be higher than actual value, and there's nothing wrong with that.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 12:34 PM

good advice TDK

Sorry for your loss Sam, I'm sure the guns are going to be OK

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 01:44 PM

So the wood was burned off of all of them. I understand the cost being higher than the actual value. I have 3 possibly 4 that I think are worth investigating they are as follows Thompson Contender w/ .44mag barrel pistol, Remington 700 BDL .270, and a Winchester Model 94 30/30. There is also a 30 carbine that I'd like to investigate but there's not as much sentimental value in it.

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: samhardin
So the wood was burned off of all of them.

Dang!
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 02:01 PM

Folks sell factory stocks on ebay after they replace them. I'd start looking there to replace the wood. Then, as was already said, find a smith that could fix what is needed. What's the condition of the blueing?
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:37 PM

I’d clean them, oil them, check that the action all seem to be working. Then I’d take them to a smith, check for function, then replace the stocks/ have the metal refinished.
Posted By: janie

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 03:47 PM

I am so sorry. Prayers up for y'all. The fellas can help with advice far better than I can for restoration.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 04:24 PM

Sorry for your loss. Good luck with the mementos.
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 05:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO4i7UHZeGs
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 05:50 PM

So sorry man. I just can't even imagine.

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 08:54 PM

Blueing is pretty much gone.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Fire Damage - 12/21/17 08:59 PM

Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 12:14 AM

Sorry for your loss.

Let's get a little practical; Put the emotional aside, I know that's hard. Given the list: 700 BDLs are pretty common, Thompson contenders aren't that rare, What make/model .30 cal?. And finally, is the 94 a pre '64?

If the 94 is pre '64 get it checked out. Everything else you just have to decide what they mean, and are worth to you.

Just my opinion, so you get what it's worth.
Posted By: badger2b

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 12:56 AM

Prayers Up...I cannot imagine!

Are those the only firearms you owned or inherited?

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 01:31 AM

Restore those rifles!

To hell with everyone that wants to give up just because of monetary value, or because it will be difficult. America used to have men that would take on a challenge just because it would be hard. And America used to have men that weren't afraid to use their hands, get dirty, and shed some blood.

If they mean anything to you, and if they are not totally ruined, get them going again, whatever it takes.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Kthnx
Terrible news. Sorry for your loss. I don't have any information for you, just advice. I would try and find a gun Smith in my area and have him look at each firearm.
Originally Posted By: bar-d

Praying for you....
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Restore those rifles!

To hell with everyone that wants to give up just because of monetary value, or because it will be difficult. America used to have men that would take on a challenge just because it would be hard. And America used to have men that weren't afraid to use their hands, get dirty, and shed some blood.

If they mean anything to you, and if they are not totally ruined, get them going again, whatever it takes.

Dang right. Dad has a 22 bolt gun that’s ridden in the back seat of his truck since I guess I was born. It’s killed more animals than all my guns combined, sick cattle, horses, pets, varmints, you name it. One year for Christmas I restored it for him myself with a bluing kit and took the stock to bare wood and refinished it. Shocked at how well it looks now. You can do the same and then when you pass them down you have a story to tell.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 03:30 AM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Restore those rifles!

Dang right. Dad has a 22 bolt gun that’s ridden in the back seat of his truck since I guess I was born. It’s killed more animals than all my guns combined, sick cattle, horses, pets, varmints, you name it. One year for Christmas I restored it for him myself with a bluing kit and took the stock to bare wood and refinished it. Shocked at how well it looks now. You can do the same and then when you pass them down you have a story to tell.

You guys aren't ready to see a professionals bill for a restoration from fire damage, especially one this severe. Research how to do the work yourself to save money, but if the wood is burned away and the springs are bad the action will be subject to needing re-heat treated. Couple hundred dollars there before you even get to metal prep and color, stock replacing, etc...
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Praying for you....
Posted By: Western

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Praying for you....

Ditto^^^

You have got much advice so far, but I will toss mine in. You and you alone know the sentimental value, your financial situation and what not, wouldn't hurt to ask around here, find a smith and take them in for a hands on recommendation.

I have one of those gold spike 30/30 that was given to me in pieces, it to was in a storage fire. I was quoted around $700 in the late 80's with no guarantee on firing function, still have it in pieces LOL, but it has no sentimental value to me.

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK
Restore those rifles!

You guys aren't ready to see a professionals bill for a restoration from fire damage, especially one this severe. Research how to do the work yourself to save money, but if the wood is burned away and the springs are bad the action will be subject to needing re-heat treated. Couple hundred dollars there before you even get to metal prep and color, stock replacing, etc...

I was meaning for him to do it himself.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK
Restore those rifles!

I was meaning for him to do it himself.

Me too. Thought that was pretty clear.

Re: Fire Damage - 12/22/17 11:22 PM

Thanks for all the insight. I am planning on doing most of it myself or at least attempt to.
Posted By: GrandmasterB

Re: Fire Damage - 12/30/17 04:41 AM

So sorry for your loss.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum