Texas Hunting Forum

Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun?

Posted By: TXhuntfish96

Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/06/17 11:49 PM

While hunting this weekend, my stoeger 3000 failed to eject the 1st shell. I've had the gun for almost 3 full duck seasons and always shoot the same loads. Do you think I should be worried or just write it off as a fluke? This is the 1st jam I've ever had with the gun.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 12:12 AM

How often do you clean it? Do you run thick oil on it or run it dry?

I ask because the first jam I get normally means I need to clean it. Also, when it get real cold I also run them much drier than I do normally...I realize up until this week it hasn't gotten anywhere close to cold.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Judd
How often do you clean it? Do you run thick oil on it or run it dry?

I ask because the first jam I get normally means I need to clean it. Also, when it get real cold I also run them much drier than I do normally...I realize up until this week it hasn't gotten anywhere close to cold.

This. And I wouldn’t be worried about one malfunction. It’s when they have consistent trouble that you should worry.
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 03:04 AM

If you haven't done it, its time to disassemble and give it a thorough cleaning.
Posted By: gusick

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 04:43 AM

No, I wouldn't worry about one jam. Ducks don't shoot back so that's just a minor inconvenience. All guns do that from time to time. There are no exceptions, I've had revolvers, Glocks, and AK47s malfunction on me. Some guns are better than others, but there is no such thing as a foolproof gun.

And yes, cleaning it helps.
Posted By: VAFish

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 01:19 PM

What kind of jam was it? Can you identify if it was ammo or gun related?

There are lots of reasons for a gun to malfunction.

If it hasn't been detail stripped, cleaned and lubed then it really needs it after 3 seasons in the duck blind.

As other have said, ducks aren't dangerous, one malfunction isn't that big of deal. But I would take the gun to the range, put couple of boxes of shells though it and see how it does. If it's continuing to jam you need to figure out why. If it's running fine I wouldn't worry.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: gusick
No, I wouldn't worry about one jam. Ducks don't shoot back so that's just a minor inconvenience. All guns do that from time to time. There are no exceptions, I've had revolvers, Glocks, and AK47s malfunction on me. Some guns are better than others, but there is no such thing as a foolproof gun.

And yes, cleaning it helps.

Say what?? Glocks and AK’s never jam. Ever. Not even once. Ever. bolt
Posted By: TXhuntfish96

Re: Should I worry about 1 jam in my shotgun? - 12/07/17 11:27 PM

Ok guys.. I fully clean it at the end of every season. I oil it every other hunt or so. Im not sure if the jam was the guns issue or the shells issue.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum