Texas Hunting Forum

barrel contours

Posted By: garyrapp55

barrel contours - 11/14/17 10:27 PM

If I just want to shoot from a bench or prone at steel. Aside from the weight, is there a reason I shouldn't go for a Heavy bull? I will not be hunting with this rifle.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: barrel contours - 11/14/17 10:35 PM

No reason to not go heavy.

M24/M40 contour is what I use on my competition 6.5 Creedmoor. Really the only reason for a heavy barrel is that it'll keep shooting well for many consecutive rpunds. Mine has held for up to 15 rounds in a minute. That aint good for the throat, though.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: barrel contours - 11/14/17 10:44 PM

kinda what I thought, thanks for the advise.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: barrel contours - 11/14/17 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
No reason to not go heavy.

M24/M40 contour is what I use on my competition 6.5 Creedmoor. Really the only reason for a heavy barrel is that it'll keep shooting well for many consecutive rpunds. Mine has held for up to 15 rounds in a minute. That aint good for the throat, though.

Better on the throat for the heavy barrel than on a light contour barrel. More mass to heat up, so it doesn't heat as quickly. Of course that critical throat area is the hottest part in any barrel when shooting, there is a lot of burning powder in the throat under the highest pressure of the shot which occurs in the first couple inches of bullet travel
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: barrel contours - 11/15/17 01:20 PM

As a relative newb to longer rifle shooting, I actually found heavy rifles easier to hold steady over longer periods and higher round counts on any given day.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: barrel contours - 11/15/17 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
As a relative newb to longer rifle shooting, I actually found heavy rifles easier to hold steady over longer periods and higher round counts on any given day.

heavier rifles are easier to shoot well and heavy barrels do not heat up as quickly.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: barrel contours - 11/15/17 05:11 PM

Nope
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: barrel contours - 11/16/17 05:52 PM

Wise fellow once said a heavy barrel takes longer to heat up but also takes longer to cool off. Buy all three, featherweight, fluted, and bull.
Posted By: dee

Re: barrel contours - 11/16/17 08:02 PM

I find the palma contours (heavy being favorite) to be the best of both worlds. They offer the weight but also balance very well so they are easier to move or aim unsupported.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum