Texas Hunting Forum

Sighting in opinions...

Posted By: Roll-Tide

Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 04:22 AM

Time to sight in my rifles for opening day. 270, Marlin 3030 vintage and 6.8 spc

Was trying some different ammo at 50 yards, because I figure it can make to much of a difference, most my shorts will be about 70 yards, rarely 100.

How close to bullseye is acceptable to y'all. I was about an inch to 2 inches off. Free hand, no device to hold steady.

Is this close enough for y'all? Because it was good enough for me. Just wondering everyone else's acceptable range.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 04:59 AM

Zero at 100 yards off bags. Shoot the ammo your going to shoot and see what the correction is at 50 yards. Don't over complicate it.
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 07:58 AM

popcorn
Posted By: TCB

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:23 PM

Where I hunt 150 yards is typically the longest shot you'll get. I've often sighted dead on at 50 yards which put me pretty close to bullseye at 150 yards as well. I'd get some sticks or lay down to make sure the guns dead on and not trust off hand shots for sighted in.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:30 PM

2 inches off at 50 yards is a bunch.

There is no good reason that I can think of to zero while shooting off-hand. What if you accidentally aimed 6" right and your scope is 8" off to the left? You'll think you're 2" off, but in reality you could be a foot off shooting in the field if you accidentally aim left.

If you're shooting between 50 and 100, zero on bags at somewhere between 50 and 100 and get within an inch at worst. I'm not a hunter, but that's how I would do it.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:33 PM

Zero the rifle from a bench and practice offhand.
Posted By: BigDad

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:34 PM

Sight in (zero) the rifle from a bench or prone with bi-pod and practice offhand.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:44 PM

Why not just rest your rifle across the hood of your truck with a rolled up jacket under it. Any kind of rest is better than offhand for sighting in.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide

How close to bullseye is acceptable to y'all.

Bullet better hit somewhere on a dime, at 100 yards for me.

As has been stated. Get the rifle steady, be a good shooter and properly check zero. Once that's completed, then practice field position shooting.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: TCB
make sure the guns dead on and not trust off hand shots for sighted in.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 01:39 PM

Wouldn't let you on my property to hunt.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 01:56 PM

Nope. That would not be acceptable. That 2" off will be at least 4" off at 100, and so on.

And, just FYI, different ammo types can have very different points of impact. I've seen as much as 6" difference at 100 yds out of the same rifle.

Why risk it?

And PS, I'm thinking this is a joke and Roll Tide is just yanking all our chains.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 02:07 PM

I was about an inch to 2 inches off. Is this close enough for y'all? Because it was good enough for me. Just wondering everyone else's acceptable range.

Uh, no, especially at 50 yards. Not for me. I want that bullet to go right where I tell it to. You are already off in ideal shooting conditions. And when in the field, it's always more challenging for an exact shot. You are already starting off, off target.
Posted By: Bar-D

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

How close to bullseye is acceptable to y'all.

Bullet better hit somewhere on a dime, at 100 yards for me.

As has been stated. Get the rifle steady, be a good shooter and properly check zero. Once that's completed, then practice field position shooting.

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I was about an inch to 2 inches off. Is this close enough for y'all? Because it was good enough for me. Just wondering everyone else's acceptable range.

Uh, no, especially at 50 yards. Not for me. I want that bullet to go right where I tell it to. You are already off in ideal shooting conditions. And when in the field, it's always more challenging for an exact shot. You are already starting off, off target.

If he's just yanking chains good for him but if serious these are my position also. I always sight in off a bench @ 100 yds and depending on what rifle/load I am shooting, enough adjustment from bullseye to be able to shoot dead on from 50 to 200 yards.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 02:26 PM

Acceptable to me is the ability to reliably hit 1” dots at 100 yards, especially the cold bore shot.

This is a good target for practice and free too. Just print from the computer.

http://mytargets.com/target22%20circles%20x20.pdf

Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 03:03 PM

The OP has to be joking around a bit.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 03:08 PM

When I zero I want a rock steady rest and I want the bullet hitting the bullseye. That way when I shoot at an animal I know the bullet is going where I want it to unless I mess up the shot a little and I’m that case if I pull it 2 inches it’s 2 inches from my aiming point not 4 bc I was 2 inches off to start with.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 03:21 PM

Pretty sure he's trolling, knowing our propensity to get tweaked about people going to the woods with bore-sighted guns.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 03:42 PM

Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 04:03 PM

I have to be able to sit in the driver's seat, rest the rifle across the mirror, and consistently hit a 55 gallon barrel or I'm not ready.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 05:32 PM

Time to sight in my rifles for opening day. 270, Marlin 3030 vintage and 6.8 spc

Was trying some different ammo at 50 yards, because I figure it can make to much of a difference, most my shorts will be about 70 yards, rarely 100.

How close to bullseye is acceptable to y'all. I was about an inch to 2 inches off. Free hand, no device to hold steady.

Is this close enough for y'all? Because it was good enough for me. Just wondering everyone else's acceptable range.

I just want to know why your Shorts are 70 to 100 yards away?? IMO your shorts should be on you and your shots in the bullseye, but that is just me.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
I have to be able to sit in the driver's seat, rest the rifle across the mirror, and consistently hit a 55 gallon barrel or I'm not ready.

Is your beer in the cup holder or just sitting on the dash? It makes a difference.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter

I just want to know why your Shorts are 70 to 100 yards away?? IMO your shorts should be on you and your shots in the bullseye, but that is just me.

Shorts can get really rank. Sometimes 100 yards just ain't far enough away.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 07:21 PM

This is how we do it just make sure the qbeam is charged up. We dont sight our rifles in for more that 25 yrds due to ditches are rarely longer than that.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Is your beer in the cup holder or just sitting on the dash? It makes a difference.

Cup holder. Don't wanna spill it
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Sighting in opinions... - 11/03/17 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Choctaw

Cup holder. Don't wanna spill it

You passed the test. Good man. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum