Texas Hunting Forum

Need reccomendations

Posted By: Rus10

Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 05:55 PM

So I'm in the market for a nice deer rifle. Currently have a Mossberg 30-06 and my Grandpas Marlin 30-30. I'd like to stay in the 30-06 caliber but what brands should I research? Accuracy, brand quality, recoil reduction and nice wood are things I'm interested in. Browning, Savage, Mossberg - what else?
Posted By: HandyMan91

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 06:02 PM

You can pick up some nice older Winchester model 70's for a good price usually. Or anything that was made under a department store name brand like ted williams, glenfield, westernfield. All considering price as a factor

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 06:28 PM

Forgot to put Price, I'd go up to $1,000 but would like to get a nice gun with a decent scope for $1000.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 06:33 PM

In that range id look at sako, tikka, browning, and CZ
Posted By: hetman

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 06:42 PM

TIKKA for the win
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: hetman
TIKKA for the win

This would be the easy choice for me.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 07:09 PM

That's kind of a burn there brother-in-law lol
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 07:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Rus10
So I'm in the market for a nice deer rifle. Currently have a Mossberg 30-06 and my Grandpas Marlin 30-30. I'd like to stay in the 30-06 caliber but what brands should I research? Accuracy, brand quality, recoil reduction and nice wood are things I'm interested in. Browning, Savage, Mossberg - what else?

Tough to beat a Browning for a wood stock. Sako is super nice but you aren't getting a wood stocked one for $1000. Tikka has a nice wood stock model and the Savage American Classic is pretty nice also.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 07:20 PM

TIKKA for the win

No doubt about it.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 07:28 PM

If buying new, I would stay away from Remington and Marlin. Their quality control has just about hit rock bottom the last couple of years. Savage and Tikka both have good reps for out of box accuracy with factory ammo. Bergara is starting to pick up some good reviews and Browning always makes a nice product.

I think the overall trend right now (and I agree with it) is towards shorter heavier barrels, detachable magazine feeds, and a more "tactical" type stock with some type of full length bedding block and a more vertical grip. A threaded barrel is also nice if you want to add a brake or suppressor later.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 07:58 PM

Don’t buy anything until you pick up and shoulder a Winchester M70 Featherweight.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 08:25 PM

It is apparent that every responder only hunts deer at longer ranges and you have received some great suggestions. However, if your hunting might be at ranges under 150 yd (more deer are killed within 150 than farther out) the Marlin might be the answer, leaving you plenty of $$$ for ammo, some quality gear, etc. Heck, many an elk has fallen to the old 30-30 at closer ranges. If you doubt this, go to archery forums and look at ranges game are taken. JMO
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 08:37 PM

Winner:

Pick This One
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Walmart sells an almost identical Vanguard Series II for less than $700. Same high gloss stock and bluing, action, and sub MOA guarantee. Only difference is the thin inlays near the end of the forearm and stock knob.

Still, I consider my "nicest" gun to be my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight. However, the Walmart version of the Vanguard Deluxe Series II is the most accurate.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/23/17 10:28 PM

TIKKA for the win

They're ugly but I bought 2ea T3 light's 4 years ago and they are the most accurate guns Ive eve owned. I kept the 22-250 and gave the 243 to my niece. Paid $450 each for them. You won't find anything more accurate.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 12:47 AM

Model 70 and don't look back.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 04:13 AM

I have 3 recommendations. Tikka, Tikka and if you can not find one of these, then get a Tikka.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 04:22 AM

welcome to the tikka forum

home of the 2 moa guarantee
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 04:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Epic fail... Sorry Buzz but I have seen it in person.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 04:33 AM

If your talking about Kyle's build I may be understanding though peep
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 04:36 AM

I would go Browning. But also would add a different caliber if you already have a 30 06.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 01:30 PM

Thanks for the replies. I like the Tikkas and will look at them further. I'm leaning toward American made though. So Browning, Savage, Winchester depending on if they are still made in the US. As far as caliber, I like the knock down power of the 30 06 and the fact it can handle what I hunt.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 01:44 PM

Don't buy a Savage.

They shoot, but they give trouble feeding, and will eventually stop ejecting.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Don't buy a Savage.

I have never had those problems with any of the 6 Savage actions that I have, and I shoot the crap out of them.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
Don't buy a Savage.

I have never had those problems with any of the 6 Savage actions that I have, and I shoot the crap out of them.

So I'm just making it up?

I'll see your 6 and raise you 60.

The 66 I've owned or shot or had customers bring out. What's shoot the crap out of? Have you rebarreled any of them? Any time you're in my neck of the woods you are welcome to chamber an empty .22-250 case, in mine, and then try to eject it. It won't. It'll pull the case out of the chamber, and the case will remain on top of the magazine. Every time.

I have not fixed it, because it is actually handy for that rifle, as all it does is shoot prairie dogs for 3 days a year. Because it doesn't eject, I don't have to hunt down any brass.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:08 PM

Up to a $1000 in an American made 30'06 ???...here are some other ideas that are out of the usual suspects....

Used: Kimber's & MRC aka Montana Rifle Co are both clones and upgraded designs of the pre '64 Winchester M70 that now MRP'ed at about $1200+. Seeing some base model used Kimbers go for $750/$800 in nice clean guns on line. MRC ASR's (aka "American Standard Rifle") are rarely found used as they have never had enough production capacity to make a major dent in the market, but would be MY choice over a Kimber 8 days a week.

New: BACO Winchester M70's from a couple of the online guys with blue/wood Sporters and Fwts running around $750 and up & SS at around a a $K. CDNN - the closeout King - has some M70 Super Grades at around a $1000 or just under, and same prices as above on Standard grade stuff and always with very limited caliber selections. Currently BACO M70 parts are still built in South Carolina but the guns are now assembled at the Browning plant in Portugal that they've used since right after WW II for all their european built guns assembly & shipped back to the US as finished product. Bolt action Steyr's are now built in Alabama in their base modle guns and meet the same high qulity producrtion standards as the Euro built guns I'm told. I really like the Forester series of blue/wood rifles. Melvin Forbes NULA's are still built in West Virginia but I haven't looked at prices lately, with very limited production and the same super high end quality he's famous for, despite having to go outside his custom Douglas made barrels.

JUst a few ideas that mighr be worth a look/see and not found in every or any Cabellas or WalMart, except for the M70's at some stupid high prices last time I looked a couple weeks ago.
Ron
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:10 PM

I'm not saying that you don't have issues with them, I don't, nor do thousands of other people that shoot them.
Yes, I swap barrels on them all the time, been doing it for years. I only have 2 factory Savage barreled actions left, a 10 FCP 308 and a 110 FLP 25-06, all the others I assembled. I shoot my guns almost every week either at my house, a range, or up at the ranch. While you probably shoot more than me, I shoot a couple hundred rounds a week out of mine total.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:35 PM

Is this the rifle that is built with the non-replaceable stock because the factory stock is so well designed and built and so loved by everyone it is illegal in some states to replace the stock?
woot

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:42 PM

Don't buy a Savage.

So I'm just making it up?

I'll see your 6 and raise you 60.

The 66 I've owned or shot or had customers bring out. What's shoot the crap out of? Have you rebarreled any of them? Any time you're in my neck of the woods you are welcome to chamber an empty .22-250 case, in mine, and then try to eject it. It won't. It'll pull the case out of the chamber, and the case will remain on top of the magazine. Every time.

I have not fixed it, because it is actually handy for that rifle, as all it does is shoot prairie dogs for 3 days a year. Because it doesn't eject, I don't have to hunt down any brass.

You admit you don't clean your rifles until they are so crudded up the barrel blocks the passage of water. Put that bolt in your weed sprayer and slosh it around.
rofl
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:47 PM

Don't get a savage because they are ugly and have terrible triggers. Yes the accutrigger sucks

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:54 PM

I'm not saying that you don't have issues with them, I don't, nor do thousands of other people that shoot them.
Yes, I swap barrels on them all the time, been doing it for years. I only have 2 factory Savage barreled actions left, a 10 FCP 308 and a 110 FLP 25-06, all the others I assembled. I shoot my guns almost every week either at my house, a range, or up at the ranch. While you probably shoot more than me, I shoot a couple hundred rounds a week out of mine total.

I'm not calling you a liar. I'm sharing real world experience with mine, and many others I've seen do the same things. Every time a Savage comes to my place, I expect to see the double feed happen, frequently, and it does. I never talk smack about anyone's equipment, but when someone asks for a recommendation of a new purchase, I will not recommend something I've seen too many problems with.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

Epic fail... Sorry Buzz but I have seen it in person.

You have actually seen one of those Tikka's with the famous guaranteed for life Vortex scopes that you don't even have to shoot. The one that you just hold it over your head and wave it and the deer fall over from fright like the fainting goats? rofl

Rumor has it that custom knife makers are going out of business due to the paralyzing by fear factor of Tikka + Vortex that hunters no longer field dress, just toss the buck in the back seat and head straight to the processor.
cheers
Posted By: Olshovel

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 04:32 PM

I would go for the Tikka, they are some great looking rifles and seem to be extremely accurate.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 05:24 PM

As for Vortex, there's always something as good or better at a lower price. As for Tikka, they are boringly accurate, often shooting as good as any semi-custom made. While they are nothing to look at and "oogle" over, they serve their purpose well, very well.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 05:58 PM

Weatherby Vanguard Series II will be the next rifle that I will be getting. They shoot very good and the trigger is nice and crisp for a stock factory trigger. I never tried them until my daughter won one in an auction. Her gun is a tack driver.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 07:05 PM

RUSS

welcome to the Texas Hunting forum, where everyone pushes what they own. I will tease everyone about Tikka because 99% of the members here own them and defend them like children.

And, I will have to admit they are really good rifles, I have owned a bunch of rifles mentioned above and never hated any of them. I treat them like my women, I never keep one long enough to develop a love or hate relationship.

This being said, for your budget, I would buy the 6.5 Creedmoor, Browning Hell's Canyon Speed for sale here on the THF classifieds. I was about to buy one and put a JARD trigger in it before I bought my Barrett Fieldcraft which is now my favorite rifle and a "little" out of your budget.

The Browning X-Bolt is an awesome rifle, very accurate and a great looking rig. Look on GUNBROKER.COM, there are a ton on there, pay small shipping cost and your transfer fee, pay no Texas sales tax.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Up to a $1000 in an American made 30'06 ???...here are some other ideas that are out of the usual suspects....

Used: Kimber's & MRC aka Montana Rifle Co are both clones and upgraded designs of the pre '64 Winchester M70 that now MRP'ed at about $1200+. Seeing some base model used Kimbers go for $750/$800 in nice clean guns on line. MRC ASR's (aka "American Standard Rifle") are rarely found used as they have never had enough production capacity to make a major dent in the market, but would be MY choice over a Kimber 8 days a week.

New: BACO Winchester M70's from a couple of the online guys with blue/wood Sporters and Fwts running around $750 and up & SS at around a a $K. CDNN - the closeout King - has some M70 Super Grades at around a $1000 or just under, and same prices as above on Standard grade stuff and always with very limited caliber selections. Currently BACO M70 parts are still built in South Carolina but the guns are now assembled at the Browning plant in Portugal that they've used since right after WW II for all their european built guns assembly & shipped back to the US as finished product. Bolt action Steyr's are now built in Alabama in their base modle guns and meet the same high qulity producrtion standards as the Euro built guns I'm told. I really like the Forester series of blue/wood rifles. Melvin Forbes NULA's are still built in West Virginia but I haven't looked at prices lately, with very limited production and the same super high end quality he's famous for, despite having to go outside his custom Douglas made barrels.

JUst a few ideas that mighr be worth a look/see and not found in every or any Cabellas or WalMart, except for the M70's at some stupid high prices last time I looked a couple weeks ago.
Ron

Thanks! The MRC ASR is nice! I didn't quite know the market for a nicer deer rifle, and was basing off box store rifles. But alot of good info in this thread. The MRC ASR will be on my research further list along with Tikka.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 07:10 PM

RUSS

welcome to the Texas Hunting forum, where everyone pushes what they own. I will tease everyone about Tikka because 99% of the members here own them and defend them like children.

And, I will have to admit they are really good rifles, I have owned a bunch of rifles mentioned above and never hated any of them. I treat them like my women, I never keep one long enough to develop a love or hate relationship.

This being said, for your budget, I would buy the 6.5 Creedmoor, Browning Hell's Canyon Speed for sale here on the THF classifieds. I was about to buy one and put a JARD trigger in it before I bought my Barrett Fieldcraft which is now my favorite rifle and a "little" out of your budget.

The Browning X-Bolt is an awesome rifle, very accurate and a great looking rig. Look on GUNBROKER.COM, there are a ton on there, pay small shipping cost and your transfer fee, pay no Texas sales tax.

read this again

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 07:30 PM

Thanks for the info, the brownings are being thought upon. I'll buy new, since it most likely will be a Xmas present from the wife and kids.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/24/17 08:20 PM

I've owned enough Tikka's to trust them to do what they are designed to do... provide depedable safe very accurate out of the box firearms at a reduced price from the parent product, SAKO, using SAKO barrels and designed on a CAD Unit, but without as much of the hand fitting as SAKO's have.

In Finland there is a saying about buying better than average quality stuff in consumer products, that was offered to me by the World Marketing Director of SAKO while we were sweating the frost out of our bones in a sauna, and goes ..."A poor man MUST buy 1st quality products to establish an Estate to hand down to his children, so they don't have to constantly replace cheaply made products, and become enamoured with the American idea of buying Kleenex type products, to be used a time or two and then thrown away", Esa Verho, World Sales Director, VP SAKO Oy, Nokia Inc.

Tikka Sporting Rifles were orginally built to generate revenue for the Government owned machine gun factory, and merged with the then Nokia owned SAKO Oy in 1984 or so. At the time I worked for Stoeger Industries, a wholly owned joint venture between SAKO and the Spanish Family that had owned Llama Handguns since they were created, among many other things like a thriving business in the lost wax investment casting of high tech airplane & computer parts. The US market had only seen the pre WW II designed cheap 1911 styled Llama handguns until 1984, when Stoeger began to sell a high grade DA double stack 45ACP & 9mm that was designed for the Spanish Government ...and was too heavy, bulky & expensive for the US market that Glock had just entered with their M17's & 19's.

My 1st Tikka was a M695 Hunter grade 270 I bought from Bass Pro and had been the display item at the Miami BP Store just inside the front door in large glass bubble case of Sporting Firearms that had been featured by their Mfg'er's in their catalongs and national advertising....and I bought on a BP closeout during the initial rollout of the T3's and has shipped to the DFW BP Store in Grapevine ... that a friend of mine, who had founded the SAKO Collectors ASSC with his buddy Jim Lutes, called not the same class rifle. No... T3's were not as well built as a 695 IMO.... but they were lots lighter and as dependaby accurate as the 695's and achieved the stated goal that the US Market Studies had showed was what was going to sell well, and hold longterm a sizeable market share that SAKO would never be able to reach. ** FWIW there is a 695 Deluxe Grade 30'06 for sale in the THF Classifieds right now that the pics will show you what I'm talking about.

I've owned a number of T3's, and own one right now & will continue to buy them as I see the need for a particular model and caliber, but I've also owned several older & current BACO M70's with 2 on hand right now, along with my 1st Howa built Weatherby Vanguard II in Stainless Steel...and have owned a couple dozen SAKO's over the years that never failed to perform as designed, just like the half dozen Tikka T3's that have graced my shooting bench.

Ruger is the only name brand I see being overlooked in this discussion and you might look at a M77 in a MK II or better still a current production Hawkeye, but remember my frozen friend from the suana's admonition as it apply's IMO to the Ruger American Series.

I owned a couple dozen Ruger 77's in the 60's & '70's and knew their foibles and how to live with them, but times have changed and the Hawkeye SS 300Wmg I bought last year from a guy in Michigan went down the road to it's 3rd owner in Boulder Colorado in a couple months, making 3 owners in 18 months, who shot it once and promptly pulled the barrel and turned it into a 257Wby with a custom trigger. Out of the box it needed help that I did not want to pay for but would have made a great 3/4 ton Diesel 4x4 pickup truck kinda dependable Rocky Mountain gun...and I got a BACO M70 270 CRF Sporter made in South Carolina in an even up trade for the Ruger. smile

Have fun looking and take your time looking for exactly what you want.
clap
Ron
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 02:11 AM

I would not be afraid of the savage. One thing about them is certain, it will most likely be a shooter. I have had zero problems out of the ones I own and their performance has earned a good market share. Tikka makes my list but when comparing them to a Sako, I just can't warm up to them. Kinda like buying a mustang with a six banger. Winchester M 70. Browning X bolt. All good rifles that you should be happy with. Remington 700 CDL is actually the one I would buy with your criteria though. Gonna need to plan on bedding and floating the 700 and a drop in Timney trigger to make it sweet though. So even though it is my pick. it does not make the list if you are looking for something to shoot straight out of the box and in wood.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 03:26 AM

http://bergarausa.com/bergara_b-14_series_timber_rifle.php
Posted By: Nate C.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 03:43 AM

Weatherby. You can't go wrong with either the Mark V or a Vanguard. Seriously.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 04:32 AM

For your budget and especially the criteria of nice wood, watch gunbroker for a gently used customized Mauser 98. 30-06 is the most common. Really beautiful ones go for upper 100’s. Watch for FN, Husqvarna, or Interarms, all of which made civilian models with better finishes.

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 01:41 PM

Ruger American with a very good scope
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 01:51 PM

For a purely hunting setup with a total rifle/scope budget of $1,000:

Rifles
Tikka T3x/T3 Lite
Ruger American Predator
Savage model 10/11
Savage Axis XP

Scoeps
Zeiss Terra 4-12
Leupold VX2 3-9 or 4-12 or VX3i 3.5-10 or 4.5-14

Any combination of those should be plenty adequate for a hunting setup.

If you really want a nice gun and your $1,000 budget doesn't include optics, then you could get a Tikka CTR and pair it with one of those scopes for about $1200-$1300 total.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Don't get a savage because they are ugly and have terrible triggers. Yes the accutrigger sucks

Shame Shame Shame

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/26/17 09:57 PM

https://www.eurooptic.com/tikka-t3-forest-30-06-sprg-11in-twist-224in-bbl-jrtf620.aspx

https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/turion-3-9x40-t-plex

https://www.eurooptic.com/talley-scope-rings-940714.aspx

The best combo you can do to stay at your budget and for excellent quality
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/27/17 08:52 PM

Don't buy a Savage.

Interestingly enough, stumbled across this video today while researching POI shift. First shot at around 1:50 mark, it fails to eject. Later, around 3:35, he has to double stroke it.

FJG ain't no liar! grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKKV2TkTbyY

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/29/17 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Rus10
Forgot to put Price, I'd go up to $1,000 but would like to get a nice gun with a decent scope for $1000.

There is a new in the box Zastava Mauser 30-06 with pretty decent wood on gunbroker for $449. Add a gently used Nightforce SHV. Might benefit from bedding, but you can do it yourself for $30. The few Zastavas I have seen at the range were decent shooters, 1 MOA with quality ammo. Would be a nice looking rig within your budget.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/709727217
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Need reccomendations - 10/29/17 02:41 AM

That's a great action and a great caliber. Perfect place to start, and priced low enough to allow the acquisition of a nice scope and good bases and rings.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum