Texas Hunting Forum

Shield Slide Stop

Posted By: shea.mcphail

Shield Slide Stop - 10/22/17 10:34 PM

Anybody had problems with their m&p shield slide stop not working? I picked up my shield from Cabelas last weekend, but after getting home I found the slide stop doesn’t go up. I fired a round today to see if the slide would stay open after it emptied, but the slide still closed.
Posted By: The Dude Abides

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 12:44 AM

did you clean and lube the pistol prior to shooting it? did you try a different magazine or ammo?
Posted By: fast88

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 12:51 AM

I haven’t had that issue. My slide stop is very stiff. Will it not even stay open when you manually rack the slide?
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 01:41 AM

Clean it with gunscrubber, then give the slide stop a drop or two of gun oil, and a drop where the rails make contact.

Make sure the recoil spring guide rod is seated correctly and lubed.

Also check to make sure the recoil spring is not broken any where.

Saw one break on a student’s new M&P last week, which was very unusual.

Put an empty mag in and pull the slide all the way back.

It should lock back on an empty mag. Also try it with a different mag.

Please let us know if that helps.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 01:46 AM

These type of issues can be mag-related. Have you tried with multiple mags?
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 04:55 AM

I’ve only tried with the mags that came with the gun. After I got home and took it out of the box, I tried racking it but the slide wouldn’t ever catch. Tried it with both magazines. Took two shots through it today to see if the slide would stay open, but it still closed. I’ll probably take it in sometime this week. Just sucks having to drive back up there.
Posted By: Skip

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 01:03 PM

Sorry to hear that. Never had that issue and I've owned 5 Shield's. I had an issue with a Shield .40 where I dropped it and banged the front sight up. S&W customer service told me to send it in and repaired it free. If you have to contact their customer service.
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 01:27 PM

I thought I had the same problem with a glock once but turned out that one magazine had issues. I ended upo trying other mags and it was just that one mag that was bad.
Don't know if that might possibly be the case for you.
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 02:24 PM

Can't help but will keep eye on my shield for this malfunction. Only problem I have had was I shot the insert out of front sight, mine is the performance center shield. Little super glue and good to go, does it again and going with some night sights.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 09:42 PM

Take the slide off and insert an empty mag. Check to make sure the slide stop will move up when contacted by the follower.

Shields are pretty simple pistols. It shouldn't be too hard to fix your issue.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/23/17 09:43 PM

I just sent you a PM.

g
Posted By: Big Fitz

Re: Shield Slide Stop - 10/24/17 12:43 AM

To add to what Tactical Cowboy suggested, can you push the slid stop up with your finger when the slide is pulled back? Just a check to see if the slide stop itself is moving freely.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum