Texas Hunting Forum

Any enfield / p14 gurus out there?

Posted By: HandyMan91

Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 12:55 AM

While I am tirelessly searching the interests for the answers to the questions I'm about to ask, I figured is put them up here hoping a guru may be in the house.

Just picked up this enfield as part of a trade deal, wasn't the one I was after so its an extra to me. I know she's been cut up, but I wanted to make sure the receiver wasn't anything special before I decide to keep it or not, like rare stamps or anything like that, if there even is such a thing on enfields. She has been re-barreled to 7mm rem mag. Stock has been chopped, irons are gone, and she's tapped and capped. Any info would be great, thank you to all who reply!

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 01:51 AM

Found another set of markings, on top of top of ridge to
left of breach
Posted By: t george

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 11:29 AM

I donno, but I had been eyeballing it for a while if ya the one from the classifieds here. Pretty cool gun if you ask me, just bad timing on my part

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 02:51 PM

Tilzina had it up a few times over the last year, I worked out a deal with him yesterday. I was after the 243 mauser though
Posted By: chalet

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 05:31 PM

I have a sporterized P14 in 30-06, shoots well enough with a vintage Weaver K6 on it. If I were you I would stick a scope on yours and shoot it before I did anything. Little to no collector value the way it sits and I don't believe there is a much of market or value for just the action.
Posted By: JESmith

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 05:34 PM

The A over the crown signifies it as a Australian Rifle (Lithgow). It probably started out as a .303 caliber and not a 30.06. This make them easy candidates for re-barreling when .303 ammo got scarce.

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 06:20 PM

Nice info on the Australia mark, I found info on the receiver markings, didn't see anything about the A over crown. I already have a scope on it, it came with one, I just had to mount it. My debate over keeping it isn't really based on how well it shoots, honestly I have no idea what I'd do with a 7mm mag, I have smaller cal rifles for hunting, don't see the need for the extra noise and recoil lol
Posted By: the444shooter

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/19/17 07:10 PM

tagged for interest on this, too--I scored an Enfield at a pawn shop for my little brother a long time ago chambered in .300 Weatherby, but I don't know if it's a P14 or 17. I'm trying to find a different stock for it. Any idea how I can tell what will fit?

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/20/17 12:55 PM

Originally Posted By: HandyMan91
Tilzina had it up a few times over the last year, I worked out a deal with him yesterday. I was after the 243 mauser though

If I were you I would scope it and shoot it. I like those enfield actions. There is one somewhere in the classifieds in 300 win mag too

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/20/17 03:50 PM

Already scoped it, taking her out as soon as I get a chance

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/21/17 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: HandyMan91
Already scoped it, taking her out as soon as I get a chance
sweet, take some pics and let us know how it goes.
Posted By: Mister Sir

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/21/17 02:14 AM

I picked up one here. Barrel,action, sights are original. Stock has been sporterized, still à great rifle. If I can find a original stock reasonable I'll restore it as best I can. I would just use yours the way it is and enjoy a hundred year old rifle.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Any enfield / p14 gurus out there? - 10/21/17 09:30 PM

The Century Arms Centurian remanufactured Centurion is a nice rifle and often overlooked. They were rebarrelled/rechambered for the 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag. If it shot to your liking, I would keep it. Plenty strong for the two cartridges.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum