Texas Hunting Forum

looking for advice on AR setup

Posted By: patrick123

looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 08:34 PM

good afternoon all. i am in the market for an AR set up for hogs and other varmints. i want to get a thermal scope as (hopefully it can function during the day as well so i do not have to have two of them but do not know). basically i am a big bird hunter but admittedly know little about AR's. i prefer not to spend $3K so i am all ears everyone. please give me your advice and knowledge. thanks in advance.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 08:37 PM

$3k for the rifle or for the whole setup? You're not likely getting into any decent thermal (just the optic) for under $3k.

Read this thread, it will have many of your answers.
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth..._a_#Post3520400
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 08:50 PM

He's right. It takes more than $3k for quality thermal. Have you considered Gen 3 night-vision? On second thought, that's just as expensive.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 08:50 PM

well lets start with the basic AR set up witha good scope and light. i can work on the expensive thermal scope later.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 09:03 PM

https://www.blackstonearms.com/
These guys can set you up with a good 6.8mm that will kill hogs. There are many options tho, you could buy a complete upper like these
http://bisonarmory.com/68SPC-UpperAssemblies/
then get a complete lower at the gun show, or anywhere you choose, now is agreat time to build an AR as the market is saturated and stuff is cheap, well, cheaper than it has been
Posted By: cabosandinh

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 09:05 PM

you can buy a $500 cheap AR
or a $1200 better AR

pick one,,,, they're all good enough for hogs

I do prefer AR10

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 09:05 PM

you don't have to get a 6.8 either, other calibers kill hogs too, that's just what I use
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 09:21 PM

This is a pretty good thread in the Optics section on thermals.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6830154/1

If I didn't have an AR but wanted the most versatility, I'd buy a Savage MSR-10 Hunter in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor and not look back. That would kill anything in Texas for ~$1200.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 10:28 PM

Pulsar RXQ30V thermal scope- $1800ish
Palmetto State Armory complete lower--150ish
Assembled bare upper, ARP 6.8 SPC barrel and gas tube, Seekins adjustable .750 gas block, 6.8 BCG and cheap midlength handguard from Sportsmans Guide-$450ish.

Under $2500 for a very capable hog slaughtering machine.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 10:29 PM

There's a lot of flavors in the 223 uppers (calibers) from 22's on up to 458? Once you have the lower. Getting started just get the night vision then save for thermal. I used a variable brightness flashlight with scope for years setting in the blind, then got an adjustable green light, then night vision. Waiting on savings for thermal, prices are coming down.
Posted By: chalet

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 11:09 PM

Right now you can get a PSA AR 10 for about $600. Add a sightmark photon xt for $450 and you can kill all the pigs you want.

I'd say get a 300blk for $500 ish witht e Photon as thats what I shoot, but then the haters would show up.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/22/17 11:18 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet
Right now you can get a PSA AR 10 for about $600. Add a sightmark photon xt for $450 and you can kill all the pigs you want.

I'd say get a 300blk for $500 ish witht e Photon as thats what I shoot, but then the haters would show up.

Most of the haters have never owned a 300blk.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 12:04 AM

True that
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

I have witnessed a 300blk SBR kill a pig popcorn Even have the video or it going down on my xsight. It will get the job done.
Posted By: SR025

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez

I have witnessed a 300blk SBR kill a pig popcorn Even have the video or it going down on my xsight. It will get the job done.

You can kill a pig with a .22LR but doesn't mean it's the best for the job stir
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SR025
Originally Posted By: 2Beez

You can kill a pig with a .22LR but doesn't mean it's the best for the job stir

I have a .223 and do not shoot for two reasons. #1 not enough for these big bastages. #2 not suppressed grin Fixing #2 first and then we will look at it again.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 03:34 AM

I've killed 17 hogs with my 300blk. It's a good caliber. My 6.8 SPC will launch the same bullet weight 250 fps faster. My 16" 6.5 Creedmoor will launch the same bullet weight 200 fps faster than that. My 20" 6.5 Creedmoor will send it 200 fps faster, and my 300 Win Mag will send it flying 1000 fps faster than that. Which one is perfect?
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 01:42 PM

I built a lower off a Spikes, Timney trigger, and magpul furniture. Then I bought a Rock River Predator Pursuit 16" stainless upper. I couldn't be happier with it. As with any AR buy a good trigger. It will cut your groups at least in half. And 223 kills them just fine and if you handload you can really open up your bullet options. Sierra GKs are bad little bullets.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 02:28 PM

Anyone have a couple of spare monkeys for sale? I'm looking for entertainment.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 02:33 PM

Makes no sense to take a short cut and get a cheap rifle and then put a 3K plus dollar thermal on it.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Makes no sense to take a short cut and get a cheap rifle and then put a 3K plus dollar thermal on it.

Agree

cry once

be done with it
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Agree

cry once

be done with it

I have a $600 AR and a $6500 thermal on it and it kills hogs like crazy. Anything over $1000 on an AR is pissing money away, IMO.

OP, I'd recommend spending less on the AR and spending more on your thermal....you'll get much more enjoyment out of it that way.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 08:52 PM

Get a complete lower from PSA for $160 and then a PSA or Radical Firearms upper in 300 BO or 6.8 for another $300-750. If you want to improve it, add a trigger for $125 and be done with it.

Then save up and get a Pulsar thermal.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton

Agree

cry once

be done with it

I have a $600 AR and a $6500 thermal on it and it kills hogs like crazy. Anything over $1000 on an AR is pissing money away, IMO.

OP, I'd recommend spending less on the AR and spending more on your thermal....you'll get much more enjoyment out of it that way.

a lower with upgraded trigger and buttstock will run almost 500 alone. Of coarse some people don't mind those 5 lb milspec triggers but I don't want anything to do with them. Most people I know who bought cheap basic ARs end up replacing trigger, stock, handguard and before you know it they are at the price of a quality light weight AR. Nothing against a cheap basic AR just not something I want to be shooting all the time.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 09:36 PM

Prices have come down a lot in the past two years.....pick a complete lower with whatever stock you want...MOE, CTR, A2, STR, ACS-L...all $130-190. Add a CMC or Delta Team trigger and you're at $250-350 max.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15-05/lowers.html?dir=asc&order=price

Nice complete upper with LW M-Lok handguard, Sights, Ni-Br BCG...$329.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-pi...-516446842.html

Hell of an AR for $580-680 with upgraded trigger and a nice stock and LW handguard and upgraded BCG.

I've done several just like that....hog killing machines.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 10:18 PM

thanks everyone for all the advice. there truly are quite a few options out there... so it sounds like get a quality lower and then i can put multiple uppers on it if i choose down the road or am i understanding that correctly? thanks
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: patrick123
thanks everyone for all the advice. there truly are quite a few options out there... so it sounds like get a quality lower and then i can put multiple uppers on it if i choose down the road or am i understanding that correctly? thanks

you will Get ALLOT of options and opinions on here

Wait....$6500 to stay up all night getting eaten alive by mosquitos??? Think I'll pass peep

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 10:32 PM

Wait....$6500 to stay up all night getting eaten alive by mosquitos??? Think I'll pass peep

The most fun you can have with your pants on, Buzz. grin

I bought the best thermal that was available at the time so thus the reason for $6500, but you can get one that is still really good for about half that.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/23/17 10:40 PM

A quality lower is getting the right stock and grip for you and I would just flat out spend the money and get a Geissele trigger. They are expensive but they are also the best. Hands down!

So I recommend you build your lower yourself. Easy to do it is cheaper than buying and you make it the way you want as far as color and comfort. And you will learn about your rifle.

Your upper will depend on the caliber you choose. I highly recommend either 6.5 grendel or 6.8SPC.

The 6.5G has a flatter trajectory and is a better caliber if shooting 300 + yards. The 6.8SPC has the same ballistics as the 6.5G up to about 250 to 300 but falls short after that. I personally chose the 6.8 because the ammo is more available and I do not reload and I doubt I will ever shoot anything over 250 yards.

I would not recommend building your own upper. If you want quality and you want it done right get with Eric at Blackstone arms. For $700-$900 he will build you the upper you want and it will be a shooter like mine is and about a hundred other guys on this site.

That will bring you in around $1300-1500 give or take and you will have a very high quality AR set up for piggin.

3 most important parts to an AR. 1. Trigger 2. Barrel 3. Optic

That leaves you $1500 for a thermal and monocular and bullets.

Good luck!

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/24/17 12:03 AM

Just built a lower

Spikes lower receiver- 103
CMC curved- 170
Buffer tube, buffer and JP Spring-35
Magpul MOE+ grip- 20
Magpul ACS-L butt stock-72
LPK-50

Total price 450. Could have saved a little on the receiver but that's what I wanted.

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/24/17 10:28 PM

I've killed 17 hogs with my 300blk. It's a good caliber. My 6.8 SPC will launch the same bullet weight 250 fps faster. My 16" 6.5 Creedmoor will launch the same bullet weight 200 fps faster than that. My 20" 6.5 Creedmoor will send it 200 fps faster, and my 300 Win Mag will send it flying 1000 fps faster than that. Which one is perfect?

All of the above. Anything that kills those things is perfect. I used to like hunting them because it was fun and more challenging than deer hunting which had got boring to me. Now I kill them because I hate them tearing up my land. My kids complain that riding the dirt bike is too bumpy because of them rooting. Mom doesn't take her peaceful walks anymore because she's afraid to fall where they root. If you can kill them with a Red Rider in .177 cal, you and that bb gun are perfect. Perfect would be a Claymore for each sounder.
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: looking for advice on AR setup - 09/25/17 07:02 AM

Bigfoot gave great advice above. I will say Geissele are nice, but unless you are competition shooting, there are other triggers that will work great for a pig/deer gun. I have Geissele, Rise, and CMC triggers in my ARs.

I have two 300 blackouts (one is an SBR), and a 6.5 Grendel. A buddy shoots a 6.8 SPC. Any of them would be great for pig hunting. I would say that if you think shooting suppressed with subsonics might be in the future, then go with the 300 blk. Otherwise, go 6.5 G or 6.8 SPC, whichever is cheaper and has cheaper ammo for the distance you want to shoot. 6.5 G for longer range. When I go pig hunting, I usually put the suppressor on the 6.5.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum