Texas Hunting Forum

Most accurate out of the box rifle?

Posted By: BarneyWho

Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:29 PM

Seems like I always get this question from several friends around the start of deer season.

I'm curious what everyone's opinion is.

If you were going today to buy an over the counter out of the box rifle for deer season, what manufacturer would you buy in what caliber and what ammo would you run thru it to give yourself the most accurate gun?

No custom or semi-custom rifles or ammo choices please.

200 to 250 yards would probably be a long shot to these guys.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:33 PM

I would buy a Tikka ctr , not a light model in 308 or 6.5 creedmoor

308 I would run a Hornady match grade bullet in 168 gr

6.5 I would run a 140 , 143 match grade bullet

These bullets would probably shoot best on average
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:34 PM

Blaser R8--- in a 6.5 x55 or 6XC... Honestly almost every barrel I had in a blaser shot better than I could hold it...

Ed
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:39 PM

How much are we allowed to spend?

A Sako TRG 22 or 42 would be good, as well as an Accuracy International, but these are $2K-$4K+. My TRG 42 was a 1/2 moa shooter for 2200+ rounds in 300 WM.

Basic hunting rifle in the $500-$700 range, I'd say some of the models of Tikka are the first I look at. Anything with a heavier barrel gets my first pick. I'm not a Savage fan at all, but they do seem to shoot very well.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:43 PM

Out of the box...as in comes with a scope on it?

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42

A Sako TRG 22 or 42 would be good, as well as an Accuracy International, but these are $2K-$4K+. My TRG 42 was a 1/2 moa shooter for 2200+ rounds in 300 WM.

Basic hunting rifle in the $500-$700 range, I'd say some of the models of Tikka are the first I look at. Anything with a heavier barrel gets my first pick. I'm not a Savage fan at all, but they do seem to shoot very well.

Guess I did leave price out. I'd say you nailed it in the $500-$700 range.

These guys aren't newbies, but they don't own a lot of guns/have a lot of gun knowledge and just started deer hunting a few years ago.
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:52 PM

For a "hunting" style rifle, Montana Rifle Company is turning out an improved version of the pre-64 Win M70, which has high quality components and "feel". These run about $1200 in stainless and synthetic. Definitely can highly recommend these.

Tikka are good shooters, but I cannot get past the cheap quality feel of them.

Savages consistently shoot well, but are hamstrung by extractor/ejector reliability issues.

For cheap, the Ruger Americans I have shot, only two a 223 and a 243, have been surprisingly accurate.

The stocks are flimsy, but can be stiffened by adding epoxy to the forend.

Remington quality is inconsistent and that is being polite. Avoid.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: rickym

No on the scope. Talking Remington, Browning, Tikka, Savage, etc guns that an everyday guy would walk into Academy, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc and buy.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 02:10 PM

$800 - Tikka CTR 20" in 308

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/ss-6662

They have the same gun in 6.5 creedmoor if you want a little less recoil and a little less bullet weight. Should still kill anything in Texas with about the same ammo availability and better long range ballistics. But for only hunting and only within 200-250 yards, I'd probably take the heavier bullet of the 308 and call it a day.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 02:23 PM

Tikka
Savage
Weatherby Vanguard

In about that order. You can spend more and might get a bit better, or not. Spend about the same or more on the optics and they'll have a rifle they can use for the rest of their lives.
Now, if you REALLY want to start a thread, ask what cartridge they should get! grin eeks333
Posted By: JJH

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 02:26 PM

IMO , "most accurate " is irrelevant. For the use you described, almost any of the modern rifles mentioned would be more accurate than they will hold in the field.

Have them go to a large LGS and handle the rifles in their price range. Whichever feels best to them will work fine. No need to stress about a different rifle than may have shot 1/2" better groups from the bench.
Posted By: Famous Flames

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JJH
IMO , "most accurate " is irrelevant. For the use you described, almost any of the modern rifles mentioned would be more accurate than they will hold in the field.

Pretty much this. Any modern rifle is accurate in that it will put the bullet where you place it if you know what you are doing.
Posted By: jackwabbit2

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 02:52 PM

Tikka and be done
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 03:06 PM

I agree with Bbear... my top two choices would be Tikka or Savage. Great out of the box acccuracy that will let you hunt or shoot long range with consistent accuracy given good ammo and quality optics. Additionally, they provide excellent customer support which is always good to have in the event something isn't perfect... Oh not to start a huge debate but I'd go with a 6.5 creedmoor given it sounds like they will be using factory ammo, Hornady 143 ELDX to be specific. If they reload, this becomes a different discussion.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I would buy a Tikka ctr , not a light model in 308 or 6.5 creedmoor

308 I would run a Hornady match grade bullet in 168 gr

6.5 I would run a 140 , 143 match grade bullet

These bullets would probably shoot best on average

These are available at the box store and so is the ammo. Whitakers would be hard to beat on price.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 03:25 PM

If money is an issue, Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor, Hornady Precision Hunter ammunition 143gr ELD-X.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 04:06 PM

Off the shelf, my Tikka CTR gets the nod over any other rifle I ever owned. That said, it doesn't shoot as tight as my Remington 700 5R Milspec, but I swapped the Remington trigger for a Timney. The Tikka CTR has some great features that make it a great all around hunting rig; 10 rd magazine, 20" barrel, free floated, stock is rigid for bipod shooting..........it's in my truck at this moment waiting for quitting time and a weekend on hogs and dogs.
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 04:45 PM

Winchester XPR in 270 Win
Posted By: cmorsch

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 04:50 PM

Christensen Arms Classic or Ridgeline or the Gunwerks RevX. All can be found at Cabelas if price doesn't matter.
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

No on the scope. Talking Remington, Browning, Tikka, Savage, etc guns that an everyday guy would walk into Academy, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc and buy.

Why "no" on the scope? Like others have said, pretty much any modern rifle is up to the task. A Ruger American for $350, another $300 for a scope... bam, you've got a hunting rifle. Not pretty, no bragging rights, but will put meat on the table.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 08:15 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext

Why "no" on the scope? Like others have said, pretty much any modern rifle is up to the task. A Ruger American for $350, another $300 for a scope... bam, you've got a hunting rifle. Not pretty, no bragging rights, but will put meat on the table.

I think rickym was asking if BW wanted a rifle/scope combo, or was just inquiring about which rifle to buy.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 08:54 PM

Easy - Rem 700 BDL .30-06 or .270
Posted By: JJH

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: cyphertext

Might get bragging rights for accuracy with the RAR!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 09:19 PM

Same question, different day, same answer.

Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor
or
Tikka T-3 Lite 7mm-08
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/01/17 10:09 PM

I have 2 Savages and a Tikka CTR 308. They are all constantly MOA or under with a variety of loads. My other Winchester, Rugers, CZs & Kimber require a lot of load development to find something consistently MOA.

The Tikka really shines over the Savages in smoothness of the action and reliability of feeding. I don't own anything that cycles like the Tikka which is why I would recommend it over any other rifle brand I've tried.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 12:12 AM

I believe the Tikka barells are actually Sako so that is what I would get. I have handled the stocks and they feel cheap for sure but you can always get another one.

30-06 270 or 308. There is no possible way you can go wrong with any of these calibers.

The stock on my sako 85 Black bear feels so good in your hands. It is almost like soft rubber with perfect texture. I love my stock. If you look around and will be patient you can find some Sako rifles for sale in the classifieds at decent prices. Thats where I bought mine and I paid roughly 60% of retail which is great for a sako which really holds their value.

New Tikka or older Sako is what I would be looking for to get the most rifle/value out of your money

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 12:32 AM

Tell your friends not to get a light 3006 , many better choices for a new shooter
Posted By: mikei

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 12:55 AM

Any model of Savage that suits their fancy; .243 Winchester; Hornady factory fodder in the 100 grain area.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 12:58 AM

I will have to admit that when I first shot my rifle (30-06) it kicked like a mule and I wasnt very happy on my first range visit. In fact I believe I only shot it 12 times because it hurt so badly.

But I went home and ordered a Limbsaver butt pad for it and now I can shoot all day.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 01:24 AM

First I use a Tikka action in my semi, it's the only thing semi, in my custom build and the action is outstanding. But the stocks they put on their rifles including the CTR are awful. For $1,100 you would think that they could put a better stock on their rifles.
Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
First I use a Tikka action in my semi, it's the only thing semi, in my custom build and the action is outstanding. But the stocks they put on their rifles including the CTR are awful. For $1,100 you would think that they could put a better stock on their rifles.

I agree on Tikka actions being very nice.

Can't agree that CTR stocks are awful, they are plenty rigid and very functional. I do have a Manners on order for mine, but that's totally a want and not a need as it shoots great in the factory stock. Plastic stock offerings from Savage and Remington aren't nearly as functional as Tikkas IMO.

I can't go along with anyone paying $1100 for a CTR either, they can be had for quite a bit less than that.
All that said, the Bergara HMR may have a nicer stock for similar money. I haven't handled one yet but have seen good reports.
Posted By: scottfromdallas

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurh

Can't agree that CTR stocks are awful, they are plenty rigid and very functional. I do have a Manners on order for mine, but that's totally a want and not a need as it shoots great in the factory stock. Plastic stock offerings from Savage and Remington aren't nearly as functional as Tikkas IMO.

I agree completely. I have a T3X. The CTR stock is fiberglass reinforced, plenty rigid and I think it has good ergonomics. I went through a phase of feeling the need to put a McMillan on every rifle. I'm not doing it on this one. Most I'll do is potentially paint it Sniper Grey.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 02:27 AM

Yep. My CTR stock is eventually getting a camo paint job. No way I'm paying $500 to replace it - it's too good for that.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Anton Chigurh
and I agree on Tikka actions being very nice.

These are facts.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 03:09 AM

I have close to 750rds and have had one screw up out of the savage. My next rifle will be a tikka FWIW.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 05:01 AM

Maybe savage has changed but my oldschool 110 has never gave a single issue feeding.. or hitting its mark.. kicks like a mule for a .270win off bags but so does my brothers tikka.. I like both but also got a TC single that I'm liking more and more each time I shoot it.. first time Iv bought .308 in a long time.. best shooting gun I think I ever shot was a sigsauer in a 25-06
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 05:41 AM

Anyone try a Ruger 77 recently?
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 09:40 AM

For out of the box my pic would be either Savage or Tikka. Both have their shortcomings though. The Tikka has adressed some of their problems with the T3x. Either of these would be a great choice for someone who wanted to just get something and go shoot it. Both are darn good rifles. If they hunted in bear country either a Win 70 or a Ruger Hawkeye. I like a Remington 700 BUT I accept that bedding and trigger will be addressed before the first shot. Admittedly not for everyone. If price was not an issue, Sako would be the only production line rifles I bought.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 10:28 AM

I own Remington, Marlin, Winchester, Browning, and Weatherby. I have found the Vanguard Series II to be the most accurate. But all of them are plenty accurate for taking deer.

That being said, I look at the three F's when choosing a rifle - Fit, Finish, and Feel. It should be easy to shoulder, aim, and shoot, have looks that suit me, and not too heavy or light.

Most importantly, if it's not a firearm that I enjoy getting out of the safe and shooting, it's a waste of money.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 12:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Anyone try a Ruger 77 recently?

Talk tang safety's and you get my attention, I have several older models and every one is a shooter, just as soon as you take that junk trigger out and replace it. Ruger's consistent inability to put a decent trigger on a rifle has me baffled. Build a good reliable heavy action and a decent barrel on a rifle and then put a piece of chit trigger under it. All of mine have Timney's under them except two and they were worked over by a friend of mine.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 12:29 PM

While I have no experience with the Tikka brand I've shot or owned just about every other. Hands down the most accurate out of the box rifle I own is the Steyr SBS Pro Hunter. Mine is chambered in 243 with the 1-12 twist and loves the light weight fast movers, which is the reason I bought it. It's killed a ton of yotes and even a few deer with careful neck shots. For an overall rifle I'd probable go with the 1-10 twist.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 01:35 PM

Vanguard.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 02:39 PM

Tikka anything, then Ruger American.
Posted By: rex47

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 02:51 PM

Ruger american PREDATOR, heavier barrel, threaded, have two 22-250, 308. both shooter better than me. wasn't looking for pretty, good rifles, even better for the money.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 07:07 PM

Well for that amount of money--I'd go with a savage 10 ($450-$550) spend the rest on a top notch scope and good bases. We bought a 308 from Academy it was fluted, threaded, Accutrigger, and dang accurate for under $600. With a $800 gun budget put a extra $200 in your scope budget and you would be getting somewhere...

Ed
Posted By: killen

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 08:24 PM

rem 700 308
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: rex47
Ruger american PREDATOR, heavier barrel, threaded, have two 22-250, 308. both shooter better than me. wasn't looking for pretty, good rifles, even better for the money.

This if on a budget, because I'm not a tikka ho.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/02/17 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: rex47

This if on a budget, because I'm not a tikka ho.

roflmao
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/03/17 12:33 AM

Weatheby Vanguard S2
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/03/17 04:56 PM

Savage has been good to me. I don't know what issues some people are talking about, i've shot as many rounds as just about anyone thru a savage around here and never had a failure.

They are not pretty, or slick, but they function well, hold up well, and shoot very very well.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/03/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Savage has been good to me. I don't know what issues some people are talking about

The double stroke. Run the bolt forward, extractor causes an issue, back the bolt up a half inch, forward again. Seen it, and done it for thousands of rounds.

Dismal ejection, that eventually turns into no ejection. Seen it, and done it for thousands of rounds.

Once you get a Savage bolt locked up, it'll shoot, no doubt about it. If a Savage rifle isn't shooting well, it's the wrong ammo in the rifle.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/04/17 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Savage has been good to me. I don't know what issues some people are talking about

The double stroke. Run the bolt forward, extractor causes an issue, back the bolt up a half inch, forward again. Seen it, and done it for thousands of rounds.

Dismal ejection, that eventually turns into no ejection. Seen it, and done it for thousands of rounds.

Once you get a Savage bolt locked up, it'll shoot, no doubt about it. If a Savage rifle isn't shooting well, it's the wrong ammo in the rifle.

yes sir trueness
Posted By: Smokey Bear

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/04/17 01:35 AM

I like and shoot Savage rifles. The two issues I have are a really cheesy stock and finicky feeding. I put up with both because the ones I have shoot exceptionally well. Fit and finish is lacking, ejection in the ones I have, although weak, has been reliable. Caliber availability in lefties is good and I will most likely buy more in the future, cause they almost all are shooters.
Posted By: LKW

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/04/17 05:56 AM

My favorite out of the box is savage and you can get there Stealth 308 for 600$ at buds with rebates . that is going to be hard to beat as I have one and sting blueprinted with the right Amo nothing I own comes close to it. if that is not an option Howa makes a good rifle out of the box as I have a 7mm08 and is a serious shooter as well
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/04/17 12:54 PM

this subject should be banned.... mad

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/04/17 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
this subject should be banned.... mad

It's actually been very civil. I'm of all of us.
Posted By: 0910

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/04/17 01:18 PM

Fierce fury in 6.5 Creed

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/05/17 08:44 PM

appreciate the responses. My response was Tikka in 7mm-08. I was just curious if I was in the majority as I don't come in here often and rub elbows with your rifle snobs. trout grin lizard
Posted By: texaspatriot.308

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/09/17 02:41 AM

savage
Posted By: mike lewis

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/11/17 12:22 AM

I'm a big savage fan. I'm also a big creedmoor fan but have not Hunter with one yet. Savage 10 11 12 or 16 would be my choice. Another good option is Thompson center venture. Good value and 5r rifling. I have one in 300 win mag
Posted By: Wacm

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/12/17 12:45 PM

These guys aren't newbies, but they don't own a lot of guns/have a lot of gun knowledge and just started deer hunting a few years ago.

Tikka t3. Mine was shooting one hole at 100y with 100g corlocts. That's the best I've ever seen.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/12/17 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Wacm

Tikka t3. Mine was shooting one hole at 100y with 100g corlocts. That's the best I've ever seen.

bs

worthless
Posted By: cyphertext

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/12/17 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Originally Posted By: Wacm

bs

worthless

Why are you calling BS? My Savage does that too. Every time I pull the trigger, it makes one more hole in the paper at 100 yds away!

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/12/17 02:50 PM

ok , you got me hammer up
Posted By: Kevin1

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/14/17 01:04 AM

Yup.
AI and TRG would be the best accuracy out of the box. But the price is similar, if not more (especially the AI), than a full custom rifle.

I don't like Savage either. The only reason I have one is the ability to change the barrel at home. Now you can do that with a Remington action (Remage), but I've seen so many horror stories on Remingtons that at this point I actually prefer Savage. That's also one of the reasons I have an AI with a quick change barrel. Being able to change barrel by yourself and not having to deal with a gunsmith is priceless for me.
Posted By: CharlieSierraDelta

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:36 AM

A standard factory Tikka is the most overrated rifle in existence. Yeah the actions are great. The triggers still suck. The stocks are horrible. I have yet to see one that's shot under MOA out of the box.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:38 AM

The internet says it's the best thing since sliced bread (Tikka). I see lots of cherry picked groups and chest puffing on the internet. I don't see much in the way of real accuracy when I am at the range, and I am at the range a lot.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:41 AM

I don't know about the most accurate but my Browning A-Bolt in 270 is pretty dang accurate and got even better once I started shooting handholds. Has a descent trigger for stock.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1

Yup.
AI and TRG would be the best accuracy out of the box. But the price is similar, if not more (especially the AI), than a full custom rifle.

I don't like Savage either. The only reason I have one is the ability to change the barrel at home. Now you can do that with a Remington action (Remage), but I've seen so many horror stories on Remingtons that at this point I actually prefer Savage. That's also one of the reasons I have an AI with a quick change barrel. Being able to change barrel by yourself and not having to deal with a gunsmith is priceless for me.

Trying to figure out the Savage hate. They have lots of things going for them, and very little against them (bbl nut).

I bought a 250 dollar Savage in .270. I have been able to rebarrel it 3 different times. From 6.5 Creedmoor all the way to .375 H&H with nothing more than a 10 minute bbl swap in my garage and a new bolt head ($25). Yeah, you can swap bolt heads almost on the fly with a Savage. They are what people call "floating" bolt heads. ALL of the bbls I have had on my savages, even factory bbls have shoot under MOA.

I am not a Remington hater by any means. I have several in my safe. The newer ones are complete garbage.....I know, I own 2 of them. They are not what they once were.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:55 AM

The Most accurate factory out of the box rifle I have ever owned is a 17 Remington in a M700 classic/ The least accurate factory rifle I have owned is another Remington 700 classic. Just something about Remington inconsistency
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:56 AM

My savage shoots sub MOA with GMM and a couple of you have seen it happen. Had the ejection issue once though so I see the point being made on that side. I am not getting rid of it though for damn sure.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
My savage shoots sub MOA with GMM and a couple of you have seen it happen. Had the ejection issue once though so I see the point being made on that side. I am not getting rid of it though for damn sure.

Ive seen it aim
Posted By: cblackall

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
The Most accurate factory out of the box rifle I have ever owned is a 17 Remington in a M700 classic/ The least accurate factory rifle I have owned is another Remington 700 classic. Just something about Remington inconsistency

Don't run into many folks running a .17 rem. I've got a classic in .17 rem as well. It was in good shape when I bought it used many years ago, but I reblued it, recrowned it, and refinished the stock with a hand rubbed satin finish and ebony forend tip and grip cap. It doesn't get shot as much as it should anymore, but I could never sell it. I may just break it out the next time I go to the range. It's an absolute joy to shoot, and accurate, but I'll agree 100% with the hot/cold nature of Remington's quality control. Sorry for the derail.

>>>Savage hands down<<<
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 05:36 AM

I bought my son a Win Model 70 Featherweight a few years ago and I shoot two shots every year making sure it's on target. I'd put it at 1" MOA and I'm not a target shooter except one day per year.

Re: Most accurate out of the box rifle? - 09/15/17 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
My Savage 11VT was lights out with FGMM. Had a couple 3-shot groups in the .2" range. 5 shots were absolutely never bigger than 1" unless I really messed something up on my end.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum