Texas Hunting Forum

Gun stores to start closing

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 12:51 PM

This just my opinion which is worth what its worth.

I see gun sales dropping like crazy. Everyone who wants one, pretty much has what the need. The political climate has calmed down, at least the second amendment argument.

I have been in several "Mom and Pop stores lately, they are pretty much empty and what they do have is way over priced. The BIG guys like Buds, Whittaker's, Europtics, etc. are talking this over as there is usually free shipping and no tax.

Look for some GREAT deals ahead
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 01:43 PM

A mom and pop store with great prices would be super busy still today. The problem is, the ones I go into are often 10-20% higher than academy or even cabelas. I'll spend 1-2% more on some items to support local business, but not 20%
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 01:51 PM

Me too. I will support local but not at a 20% higher cost. Buzz, do you know where I can find a smoking deal on a SBE2?
Posted By: spg

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:02 PM

The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:04 PM

And lots of people use that shop for that very thing, everyrhing except for the purchase of the actual firearm. Go to the shop, get some advice, leave, go to a big store to buy it (or order it online) come back for help with it.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:07 PM

Just think about all the mom and pop joints that have shown up in the last 4-5 years. They can't rely on that to stay afloat in these times. If they are good and competitive or give some sort of a reason to do business there that's one thing but most don't. They are super over priced. My brother went to a gun show Sunday and one of "these" guys was selling stripper Anderson lowers for $150 each and spikes Jack lower for $400. His excuse was they are hard to get. I bet I could go buy 50 lowers today if I wanted to without much issue.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:09 PM

Even academy has gone up it seems. Still cheapest box store but hard to spend an extra 50-100 sometimes if I can wait a week or two to ship in.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: spg
The Academy's and other big name stores get a way better deal than us small business mom&pop shops. Obviously I can't risk buying hundreds of thousands of guns or other merchandise. Therefore the big stores get them much cheaper than me and at the end of the day I have to make a profit which is less than what the big stores are profiting . If you don't mind having some college kid that knows nothing about what your buying help you make a choice on what to buy, go to Academy or some other big store. If you want to buy a gun and have it set up properly, learn the functionality of it, or get it fixed and cleaned properly go to your local mom and pop shop.

^^^ This. And often times the smaller stores can provide a better "service" than Academy's and such. You can often times find more specialized products at the smaller stores.

I'm an FFL, and I have seen some firearms selling for less than my FFL dealer pricing. It's part of the volume business. But there are many people who need the small service touch and assistance.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Me too. I will support local but not at a 20% higher cost. Buzz, do you know where I can find a smoking deal on a SBE2?

bang
Posted By: Dien

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 02:46 PM

Too often mom and pop stores will have a punk kid or a know nothing salesman also. Lots won't do anything to really help you. Go to manufacturer for warranty.

I do have my favorite ones and will overpay once in a while. But shape up or close down.

Also, in any industry people say oh the big names get better deals. Not so in my last one. If it's that big of a problem then band together. And I've gotten excellent pricing on guns from small FFLs. Better then online.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 03:01 PM

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 03:13 PM

On average, I've gotten better service and knowledge from people at academy than a LGS. But I do my research before I go shopping.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 04:05 PM

I wish I had time to sit around and look at all the negative going on in this world. Buzz....you need to go back to work.
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Tff caribou

On average, I've gotten better service and knowledge from people at academy than a LGS. But I do my research before I go shopping.

I think you are in the minority on that. I was once recommended a 17 HMR for deer hunting. I don't even ask them for anything other than please hand me that one right there.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 04:40 PM

It's been my experience that the LGS guy has far more knowledge that the guy at Big Box Store. My problem with LGS guys is often trying to take advantage of me if I'm unsure of something. Seems he doesn't want me to leave without making a purchase of some kind. The guy at Big Box doesn't care if I spend money or not that day or the future. I hate to be pressured. Of course, I'm sure not all places are that way.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 04:44 PM

If you're expecting expert gun advice from a gun store employee then you're expectations are off base, that's what the internet is for. I do all my research online and only go into the store to actually touch and look at the item.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
I was once recommended a 17 HMR for deer hunting.

You mean I shouldn't shoot at deer with a bullet the size of a grain of rice?

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
It's been my experience that the LGS guy has far more knowledge that the guy at Big Box Store. My problem with LGS guys is often trying to take advantage of me if I'm unsure of something. Seems he doesn't want me to leave without making a purchase of some kind. The guy at Big Box doesn't care if I spend money or not that day or the future. I hate to be pressured. Of course, I'm sure not all places are that way.

I can somewhat understand that, though. The likelihood a non-purchaser returns and buys is about 10-15%-they've got to sell you something when you're there or it won't happen. I'm not talking about browsers who frequently come through, though. I'm talking about genuinely interested buyers that don't pull the trigger.

As posted above, many people leave because they're headed to Academy to save 20%.
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 05:06 PM

Gun stores are already folding left and right.

As others have said academy will often post sales that are under dealer price.

Volume gets you the discounts needed to compete with them.

Unless you have a niche (custom work etc), or have a good transfer business, or a manufacturer I see most stocking brick and mortar shops starving/going under for years to come. The list of shops already going out of business is staggering.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 08:21 PM

Even at most LGS, the workers are SO OPINIONATED, if you don't agree with their suggestions they will treat you like an idiot. Most will tell you of their many competition wins or they are a member of Seal Team Six. Yada, Yada, Yada.

I'm a member of The Frisco Gun Club. I have stood for many minutes at one of the gun counters, have had countless employees walk by and NEVER say a word much less, "can I help you?" They are more worried about making sure EVERYONE can see they are open carrying a GUN !!!!

When I went there to pick up my Barrett transfer, there was a cute young girl at the main desk, she did the paperwork for me. I had known her from many visits. She was working at the coffee shop counter studying for school. I talked with her, didn't have a clue.

NOW she's running the front counter with a cute little glock, tucked into an appendix carry holster !!!!!! OMG, I about chit myself. Every worker there has the same "I'm a Badazz, attitude" with their open carry gun showing. I just shoot and get the he77 out of there
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 08:52 PM

I hate to say it, but I have had very few good experiences at LGS. Most of the reasons have already been stated above.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 09:36 PM

Props to the young kid at Rifle Gear in Plano, he is a first class young man.

I do have to say, If I were working at a gun store and have to listen to all the know it all, expert customers. I would go nuts.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 09:38 PM

I don't know how most of the people at the gun shows ever sell anything anymore. I guess they prey on the folks that don't know how much something should cost.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

That's kind of rich. I went to the largest LGS here a while back to look at weapons, and they pretty much had college kids and people I wouldn't trust with a rubber-band gun running the gun counters. I got swept by the guy that was helping me twice, and he swept several other patrons as well. On top of that the owner smokes, and you walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke any time you go there. I looked at a nice USED RRA, and they offered to discount it from the price marked to only $200 more than I could buy a new one from at many other places.

I won't begrudge any man a profit and I fully understand the service aspect, the bulk argument, and the hard-to-find side. I once paid $66 for a $30 part because I needed it-I was only mad at myself for getting into a bind.

I wish there was an LGS that I felt good about supporting here, but they're all operated by Bubbas. I know that's not the case at all places, but I've been to a lot of LGS and been helped by Bubbas, high-school and college kids, and people that don't know the difference between .22 LR and .22 WMRF.

Sharpshooters is a pretty good store. And the owner doesn't smoke or anyone else.
I can't think of another big store in Lubbock.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/15/17 11:45 PM

local store opened up a couple years ago here, it was when the market was really hot, very small shop size wise, did really well, went out and bought a huge commercial building (bank loan) went from 3-4 employees to 1
Posted By: LKW

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 12:02 AM

I shop the store by my house just for convince but it its more then 10% higher then big box stores I will drive up to academy
Posted By: Crews

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 12:19 AM

I have not one single time ever walked into a gun store and received any sort of good advice. Not that I ever ask for it, seems like there is always some opinionated idgit there behind the counter spewing nonsense.

Not spending money in a LGS is nothing new for this guy. Old news.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 01:45 AM

There's always good and bad to both sides! Just my experience...LGS - high prices and indifference to arrogance but some are nice guys who do try to help and do the best they can for you. Chain stores - crowded and not much help when needed but they carry a lot larger selection and have lower prices.

I do believe a lot of LGSs shoot themselves in the foot with the attitude.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
There's always good and bad to both sides! Just my experience...LGS - high prices and indifference to arrogance but some are nice guys who do try to help and do the best they can for you. Chain stores - crowded and not much help when needed but they carry a lot larger selection and have lower prices.

I do believe a lot of LGSs shoot themselves in the foot with the attitude.

Yep. It's been alluded to several times on this thread. The large majority, not all though, of gun stores that I've walked to in my life are staffed by folks that figure they're employed by (or own) the most macho business on earth so there's no need for common customer service or courtesy. And a lot of them have unemployed lounge lizards on your side of the counter that are just itching to tell you "what you oughta do".

There's a decent shop, attitude-wise, by my house, but still, I took a rifle in to have a Timney trigger dropped in. When I picked it up, you couldn't operate the safety. Seriously? They made it right, but it doesn't instill any confidence.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 02:21 AM

My LGS is the best I've ever been around. Prices are very fair and the workers are very nice and helpful. Not necessarily super knowledgable, but not pushy either. Just let you look at what you want and will answer a question if you ask and if they can, but won't BS you either. It's Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills if you're interested.

I still buy about half my stuff online because even with their prices being good for a brick & mortar store, they can't compete with online retailers for everything and I can't afford to just toss money away. But I try to buy stuff there if I can, especially accessories like powder, primers, cleaning supplies, ammo, etc. I know that stuff is overpriced but I also assume they have a decent margin on it and they like to keep a few bucks coming through the door.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 02:26 AM

This market being so volatile will have to adjust to each political climate. The local gun store like most small businesses need to have an extra niche to survive and prosper in the present oversaturated market.

Businesses will come and go in this market. That is the nature of it. The bigger companies with lots of capital will in the end take most of the market from the LGS. They just cant compete with the internet and walmart.

Get them now while they are cheap because who knows what the future holds.
Posted By: SR025

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 03:02 AM

I can't believe so many people buy guns locally. They are almost always significantly cheaper online even with shipping and transfer fee.
Posted By: topwater13

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 11:08 AM

Little Man by Alan Jackson.

I try to support local if at all possible.....20% is about my cutoff though.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: SR025
I can't believe so many people buy guns locally. They are almost always significantly cheaper online even with shipping and transfer fee.
How do you know what you want to buy online if there are no local stores to try them out? If everyone has your perspective, then that luxury will be gone at some point.

Like I said, I buy mine about half and half. If the price is close, I buy local. If it's not, I buy online.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 12:15 PM

I'm going to support Cabela's with a $1700 purchase today

The only local gun store I can think of near me is Rifle Gear in Plano but they are hard core quality stuff. I already touched on the Frisco Gun Club but they are not focused on the retail sales side. They would be too expensive if they were.

I just hate to be that "guy" who goes in these LGS and just "looks" fondles every gun, throws out a bunch of BS and NEVER buys anything.

As far as buying a handgun, the gun shows are still the best if you have CASH in hand. You can see, touch, all of them.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: huntwest

Sharpshooters is a pretty good store. And the owner doesn't smoke or anyone else.

The guy I'm thinking of may no longer be (maybe never was) the owner, but he was a fixture for many years. Short wiry older guy, was always smoking (and mainly just leaving it burning in the ashtray, so there was smoke everywhere). I haven't seen him the last two times I went.

Last time there I did talk to the current owner about the new (much bigger) building. He's excited about the move, as am I as it's much closer to my house. I like the place but they need better training for the staff.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: patriot07
How do you know what you want to buy online if there are no local stores to try them out? If everyone has your perspective, then that luxury will be gone at some point.

Like I said, I buy mine about half and half. If the price is close, I buy local. If it's not, I buy online.
by doing research, you should know what you want and how you want it, if you don't ask ?'s on here and get 100 different answers muyloco
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45

by doing research, you should know what you want and how you want it, if you don't ask ?'s on here and get 100 different answers muyloco

Happy you brought this up. I am 70yo, was born with two discs fused together, got my nose broke when I was 17yo and had rib cage issues when I was 20yo. I'm 6' tall and weigh 181 #s. I want to buy a new semiauto, will use it for clays, dove, quail, pheasant, duck and cranes. Also for squirrel, rabbit, and will use either 00 buck or slugs for deer and hogs. When not hunting it will rest next to my bed for home defense. What semi-auto does the forum recommend for my size and age, and what choke should I use? back

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 03:21 PM

Forgot to mention, I was told the macho members would only be impressed by a 10 ga magnum while the pheasant hunters would like to use a 28 ga.

Sorry fellows, I'm having pre-eclipse blues. Carry on.

back

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 03:36 PM

So you know if a gun fits you well by looking at it online? That's a special kind of skill!
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 03:42 PM

I try to buy local and I don't mind paying a little more for good service, but I draw the line at attitude and bad manners.
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders. To boot, he kept staring at her boobs right in front of me. I wanted to throttle the guy.
I asked to talk with the manager and he said he wasn't there. Asked for a phone number to speak with him and he said he doesn't like to give that out. I will never darken the door of that place ever again.
We bought her a new revolver from Sportsman's guide and saved a ton of money. Had a FFL friend do the transfer for a beer.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I try to buy local and I don't mind paying a little more for good service, but I draw the line at attitude and bad manners.
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders. To boot, he kept staring at her boobs right in front of me. I wanted to throttle the guy.
I asked to talk with the manager and he said he wasn't there. Asked for a phone number to speak with him and he said he doesn't like to give that out. I will never darken the door of that place ever again.
We bought her a new revolver from Sportsman's guide and saved a ton of money. Had a FFL friend do the transfer for a beer.

If I don't put this in someone else will, so to keep the young fellows out of trouble

worthless
Posted By: fishfree

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 04:20 PM

Blackcoal, I really like a gas operated 20ga. We are about the same age and while I still shoot a 12 ga pump I know someday I will put it down just because of recoil. My Browning Silver Hunter in 20ga on the other hand I can shoot all day long. Mossberg is probably a good brand at a lower price. Fit is the main issue to consider.

Back on topic:
I shop locally (not big box however) and also buy online (mostly Buds). I will not pay a large price differential just because the shop is local. That said it usually turns out that they are competitive. I do not believe in buying local just because it is local; competition is good.

When I go shopping I know what I want and have done a lot of reading in advance. I simply disregard bad/unasked for advice but weigh carefully any comment that seems worth consideration. If I decide I need to feel the trigger pull or hold the gun to make my final decision I buy it at the shop and not online. Being able to dry fire before buying is worth something and I can't do that with an online purchase. I will not use the local shop as a showroom. my 2-cents.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 04:27 PM

So you know if a gun fits you well by looking at it online? That's a special kind of skill!

At least with shotguns maybe yes. The stock measurements can be found and compared with guns you already own; this has worked for me.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 04:47 PM

I just want to add this: gun sales in 2016 were 24,700,000 based on NICS filings- up 1,500,000 from 2015.

In the last decade there was a surge in first time buyers. Some (many?) put their new gun away and that was the end of it. But some became gun enthusiasts and keep on buying guns & ammo. They also introduced shooting sports to friends & colleagues. So take a neighbor to the range or clay fields!!

Just like real estate in a hot market draws in a crop of brand new realtors a hot gun market stimulates the opening of a lot of new gun shops. When the real estate market cools all those newbie realtors start getting thinned out and the same happens to gun shops.

There is volatility in SWHC & RGR stock prices but they have experienced volatility in the past as well. I see small drops (bargains!) in some gun prices- thinner margins maybe. Now is the time to make lemonade. Bargain prices for us may be the other side of the coin.
Posted By: janie

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 05:15 PM

My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders.

This sadly happens. I have been completely blown off. They'll look at Bill and say "what does she like" "any particular caliber" etc. That's when I look at Bill and say "let's go"

Palehorse, you should've throat punched the guy working that gun counter.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/16/17 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: janie
My wife is an experienced shooter and knows her guns. She was interested in a new CC revolver so we stopped at a local gun shop in Clute. The guy working the counter was very condescending and rude to my wife when she insisted on looking at revolvers instead of autoloaders.

This sadly happens. I have been completely blown off. They'll look at Bill and say "what does she like" "any particular caliber" etc. That's when I look at Bill and say "let's go"

I remember us talking about that scenerio before Janie
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: huntwest

The guy I'm thinking of may no longer be (maybe never was) the owner, but he was a fixture for many years. Short wiry older guy, was always smoking (and mainly just leaving it burning in the ashtray, so there was smoke everywhere). I haven't seen him the last two times I went.

Last time there I did talk to the current owner about the new (much bigger) building. He's excited about the move, as am I as it's much closer to my house. I like the place but they need better training for the staff.

I hadnt been to impressed with sharps the times I went. Not very easy to get help and high prices. The last two times though they were friendly and as soon as I walked in asked if they could help.

I guess it worked because I bought a gun in there today.
Posted By: Superduty

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 12:33 AM

I have also noticed that almost nothing is selling in the classifieds as well.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 12:47 AM

True, I finally sold my Benelli SBE II yesterday. Good stuff will sell pretty fast. You just need to be realistic what you sell it for and know how low you will go if necessary.

Crap will not sell or sell for pocket change.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: janie

It was all I could do to not drop him like a sack of dirt.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: fishfree
I just want to add this: gun sales in 2016 were 24,700,000 based on NICS filings- up 1,500,000 from 2015.

In the last decade there was a surge in first time buyers. Some (many?) put their new gun away and that was the end of it. But some became gun enthusiasts and keep on buying guns & ammo. They also introduced shooting sports to friends & colleagues. So take a neighbor to the range or clay fields!!

Just like real estate in a hot market draws in a crop of brand new realtors a hot gun market stimulates the opening of a lot of new gun shops. When the real estate market cools all those newbie realtors start getting thinned out and the same happens to gun shops.

There is volatility in SWHC & RGR stock prices but they have experienced volatility in the past as well. I see small drops (bargains!) in some gun prices- thinner margins maybe. Now is the time to make lemonade. Bargain prices for us may be the other side of the coin.

You cannot go by the NCIS numbers any longer. Several states require a NICS check even if you give someone a gun. Several others require a NICS check when picking up a gun from a gunsmith after repairs.
The NICS numbers have been very inflated for several years.
And yes this fall is definitely the time to buy a gun, there are more sales, seals and consumer rebates going on than ever in the industry.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 01:24 AM

I've known a few good gunshops in my time...some good enough just to drop in and visit a little while.

Used to go into Starkey's in El Paso quite a bit. Fellow named Juan worked at the counter, a good egg for sure. Then there was a place called The Rifle Rack, just a small hole in the wall in my neighborhood. An old fart from Georgia manned the counter there. Made friends with him and dropped in often because he was right in my neigborhood.

Place in Pocatello named Doc's Gun Barn was pretty awesome. Doc Blanchard was a great guy...had his Winchester collection all over the walls and it was worth going in just to see those. Doc was the kinda guy who'd pull your leg some if he liked you. He's dish it out and he could take it, too.

I've known gunshops whose doorways I'd never darken again, too. There used to be a particularly disagreeable old bastard who worked the counter at Kempf Gun Shop in Michigan City, Indiana. I'd go in there when I was up to visit, hoping that old buzzard would be more pleasant each time I went in, but he was just a sourpuss, sarcastic old prick each and every time. The last time I saw him I had to restrain myself and just point my nose toward the door.

Here in DFW, I've seen one gunshop I liked and where I was treated as I like. That was on the square in Denton. I think that shop's been gone for fifteen years maybe. I've been to Elk Castle, they thought I was in there because I wanted them to do sex to me...no thanks. Winchester Gallery, no thanks. A couple others, not impressed.

I think the days of great gunshops are behind us. Sad.
Posted By: texas_sooner

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 02:45 AM

I stopped going to the LGS. I hate a salesman telling me "this here is what you need" without knowing anything about me. I do my research online, go to the LGS or big box to get to hold the gun and make sure it's a good fit, then buy it online.
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 05:41 AM

My favorite LGS is relatively small, and is in a small town which does have a Wal-Mart, which is the only local competition he has now after another sporting goods store got blown away by a tornado this Spring. Not sure if they will rebuild or not. All that having been said, the LGS is also a pawn shop which helps his business. The owner is almost always there and he IS their business. He has built a clientele who respect him and his opinion. Also, in my opinion, the gun shop who takes trade-ins also has an advantage for people like me who mostly buys used firearms as I look for hard to find calibers and older rifles. And there are many around here that do the same. There is an Academy 30 mins. away from this LGS, but from what I have seen in Academy and Wal-Mart is that they generally carry the basic calibers (243, 270, 30/06, and now the Creedmors) which just doesn't always do it for many gun nuts. It is rare for me to go in this LGS where there is not at least 1 gun leaves the store. It's generally crowded. So...I think that those LGS's who have built a business and reputation will stay, those who haven't, or the blowhards in life might find themselves padlocking the doors for the last time.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 02:29 PM

There are a bunch of mom/pop stores near my house. Have gotten fantastic service at one and would certainly use it again, but they moved from less than a mile away to about 20 miles. Not sure I'll drive that far.

Most of you Houstonites will also be familiar with Carter's County, which is also close to me. I have never been in there and not been exposed to total a**holery. Just complete jerks every, single time I'm in there. Brought in a colleague that's a rich guy but new to shooting. I told them upfront he was looking for a high-end shotgun and might also be interested in a couple of pistols. This guy would've spent $10k in there and not even thought twice. They literally made fun of him because he wanted to buy nice guns and not start with beginner firearms and then have to buy new ones later. Every time he'd ask to see an over/under, the guy would stare at him, roll his eyes, and then begrudgingly show the piece. I used to go in there all the dang time and will not go back. Just total dicks.

I too typically buy my guns from Academy, but I buy mass produced stuff I've already sampled at Athena gun club. Glocks, etc. Won't buy one until I've already shot and know I like it.
Posted By: JJH

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 02:43 PM

cameron: which Carter's location were you at?

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 02:56 PM

I10

It wasn't an isolated incident. It happens (happened) every, single time I went in there.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 03:27 PM

Ok thanks

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: texas_sooner
I stopped going to the LGS. I hate a salesman telling me "this here is what you need" without knowing anything about me. I do my research online, go to the LGS or big box to get to hold the gun and make sure it's a good fit, then buy it online.

If I visit a shop of any kind to do any test driving I feel somewhat obligated to be a customer as payback for the service I received. Especially non-corporate places. I don't feel right going to a man's small business, feeling up his product, then buying online, leaving him with nothing.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 04:11 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
Originally Posted By: texas_sooner

If I visit a shop of any kind to do any test driving I feel somewhat obligated to be a customer as payback for the service I received. Especially non-corporate places. I don't feel right going to a man's small business, feeling up his product, then buying online, leaving him with nothing.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I10

It wasn't an isolated incident. It happens (happened) every, single time I went in there.

So they kept treating you poorly and you kept returning? Did you ever buy anything? I had several people who used to speak highly of Carters? Haven't thought anything about them in years because I haven't been in that area.
up

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I10

So they kept treating you poorly and you kept returning? Did you ever buy anything? I had several people who used to speak highly of Carters? Haven't thought anything about them in years because I haven't been in that area.
up

I used to go a lot and yes, I bought plenty of stuff from them. No guns, but ammo, accessories, etc. I have literally never spoken to a person that had been to Carter's and not been treated badly by at least someone. That's what they're known for here in Houston.

I haven't been in at least 5 years, so maybe it's gotten better. I don't plan on going back at any point.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 06:01 PM

I10

up

I used to go a lot and yes, I bought plenty of stuff from them. No guns, but ammo, accessories, etc. I have literally never spoken to a person that had been to Carter's and not been treated badly by at least someone. That's what they're known for here in Houston.

I haven't been in at least 5 years, so maybe it's gotten better. I don't plan on going back at any point.

Don't mistake what I posted, I have only heard about Carters from people who knew of the place. I always heard they were the go to place in Houston and you say you bought plenty of accessories there. I never asked too much about personalities.
cheers

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 06:39 PM

FWIW, I've been going to the I-10 store since the early 80's. Never had a bad experience. Gotten to know some of they guys behind the counter pretty well. I've found them to be good folks, and much more knowledgeable than the guys behind the counter at Academy. They aren't necessarily shy about sharing their opinion, which to me is a plus. As one of Carter's old ads used to say: " We won't send you elephant hunting with a BB gun".

OTOH, if you know what you want, and Academy happens to carry it, the price will likely be lower. YMMV

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/17/17 07:26 PM

Originally Posted By: JJH
FWIW, I've been going to the I-10 store since the early 80's. Never had a bad experience. Gotten to know some of they guys behind the counter pretty well. I've found them to be good folks, and much more knowledgeable than the guys behind the counter at Academy. They aren't necessarily shy about sharing their opinion, which to me is a plus. As one of Carter's old ads used to say: " We won't send you elephant hunting with a BB gun".

OTOH, if you know what you want, and Academy happens to carry it, the price will likely be lower. YMMV

Thanks, this seems to be more in line with what I had heard, but again my information came many years ago.
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/18/17 07:07 PM

I have not been in Carter's in years, but the one on Treaschweig was always manned by jackholes, and I oughtta know. I worked there when I was going to SHSU.
Posted By: easttxhoghunter

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 01:52 PM

Don't care much for Carter's myself, have been going to Carol's in Wharton on 59S for about 8 years now. Taylor has been in business since the 60's and is very knowledgeable and helpful. Fair prices and may deal. He is about 80 miles from me, but stop in when in the area.
Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 02:42 PM

Used to live in that area, I guarantee I know which store you are talking about. The owner is a piece of work, and so are most of his employees. He tried to do me dirty on deal once. I have never given him any of my money again. And he is usually one of the biggest exhibitors at local gun shows. There is a gun shop in Brazoria, Williams firearms, if he doesn't have it he will order it for you and his prices are fair.
Posted By: HCHunter28

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 03:34 PM

My problem with LGS is that they mark everything at MSRP and want to negotiate. Tell me the price you are willing to let it go for and lets move on. I feel like I'm buying a car every time I walk in a LGS. You have to build a reputation of buying things from their shop before they shoot you a straight price. Not all are that way but I won't step foot back in the shop if I get that vibe.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 04:17 PM

I have not bought a gun from a local gun shop in the last 15 years. I just don't like dealing with LGS. I buy all my guns on line with the occasional big box store purchase (cabelas/academy). Online is almost always the least expensive especially when you take into account the 8% plus sales tax a LGS has to charge.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 04:27 PM

LGS don't carry what I buy. They cant fill my needs.

Ya'll remember Rays Hardware and Sporting goods?? long time ago, when Ray was alive. If there were too many people in there NOT BUYING just looking, or a black or Mexican. He would simply turn the lights off and yell "closing for lunch" Run everybody out, reopen some minutes later.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw

Ya'll remember Rays Hardware and Sporting goods?? long time ago, when Ray was alive. If there were too many people in there NOT BUYING just looking, or a black or Mexican. He would simply turn the lights off and yell "closing for lunch" Run everybody out, reopen some minutes later.

They don't have what you want to buy because they don't cater to experienced hunters. I walk into a lot of shops and you'll see a row of ARs and a row of entry level budget bolt guns. The best LGS have built a customer base of experienced hunters not the walk in "I don't know what I want or what a reasonable price to pay for something is" client.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 06:46 PM

Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

They don't have what you want to buy because they don't cater to experienced hunters. I walk into a lot of shops and you'll see a row of ARs and a row of entry level budget bolt guns. The best LGS have built a customer base of experienced hunters not the walk in "I don't know what I want or what a reasonable price to pay for something is" client.

HCH28, I'm almost 100% certain you never were in Ray's. Back in the early 70's if Rays did not have it then most likely you did not need it. And they did not care if you bought anything. Ray just didn't like you standing around breathing up his oxygen...

Buzz, I remember the first time I walked into Rays. First I almost didn't get there because it was in such an awful neighborhood and that yellow paint with bars on all the windows wasn't very inviting. But as soon as I opened that door and looked to the right I knew I was in gun heaven. I liked Ray, and contrary to what many people said he did have a sense of humor. He once told me that outside of public museums he had the largest collection of Lugers in America? Another thing I laugh about when listening to some of THF experts, Rays smiths upstairs would sell a 1/2 pound of powder if you wanted. I haven't been there in 25 years, but next time I go pay homage to Juanita Slusher and her sixguns I might just stop by that old yellow building and my way back.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: HCHunter28

HCH28, I'm almost 100% certain you never were in Ray's. Back in the early 70's if Rays did not have it then most likely you did not need it. And they did not care if you bought anything. Ray just didn't like you standing around breathing up his oxygen...

Buzz, I remember the first time I walked into Rays. First I almost didn't get there because it was in such an awful neighborhood and that yellow paint with bars on all the windows wasn't very inviting. But as soon as I opened that door and looked to the right I knew I was in gun heaven. I liked Ray, and contrary to what many people said he did have a sense of humor. He once told me that outside of public museums he had the largest collection of Lugers in America? Another thing I laugh about when listening to some of THF experts, Rays smiths upstairs would sell a 1/2 pound of powder if you wanted. I haven't been there in 25 years, but next time I go pay homage to Juanita Slusher and her sixguns I might just stop by that old yellow building and my way back.

I wasnt talking about Rays. I was talking about all the new gun shops that have popped up. I've never been to Rays but it sounds a lot like how Nagels used to be in San Antonio. Anything you ever wanted and didn't but the stuff wasn't priced to move at Nagels. I think he was real proud of his stuff.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/19/17 10:37 PM

Ah, Yes. I almost went to work for ray after College 1976. He said I should look for something permeant. I still go by there, Lots of good food down there now. I still like the old ODOM's BBQ. Greatness . Hog jowls, turnip greens ox tails, and the BEST ribs in the world !!!

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/20/17 02:16 AM

Mr Saw, thanks for not posting pics of the jowls and tails.

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/20/17 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Used to live in that area, I guarantee I know which store you are talking about. The owner is a piece of work, and so are most of his employees. He tried to do me dirty on deal once. I have never given him any of my money again. And he is usually one of the biggest exhibitors at local gun shows. There is a gun shop in Brazoria, Williams firearms, if he doesn't have it he will order it for you and his prices are fair.

Yea, it's not hard to guess, there's only one. And yes, he dominates the local gun shows. And again you are right about Williams. I've stopped in several times because I get my hair cut at the barber shop down the street. I haven't bought any guns from there yet, but they are always so friendly that I feel compelled to at least pick up a box of shells when I stop.
Posted By: booradley

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/23/17 08:07 PM

Props to the young kid at Rifle Gear in Plano, he is a first class young man.

I do have to say, If I were working at a gun store and have to listen to all the know it all, expert customers. I would go nuts.

This.
Posted By: Earl

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/26/17 01:53 AM

I too love Rifle Gear. Their prices are fair, good selection. I've used their gunsmithing services many times and always been happy. It's the only gunsmith I use now. Since my regular FFL transfer has gone out of business, I'll move all my transfer business there too if they do that. I forgot to ask when I was in there today. Picked up a Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster for a Glock 21 RH (the one with both paddle and belt attachment, not the Sportster) for $25. You can't even get them on ebay for that price. I've bought a few guns there and will continue to do so.

I like Rays, if it wasn't such a drive I'd go there more than I do. I love the old timey kind of gun stores, just don't see them much anymore.

Earl
Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: Gun stores to start closing - 08/26/17 04:22 PM

Well I am changing my. Tune from the last post on here.

Went in to a local shop two Wednesdays ago and ordered a Beretta a400. Called today to check on it and was told they never ordered it. Now they are trying to see if they can even find it anywhere to order. They had it at two distributors last week which is why I went with the one I did (xtreme unico synthetic) over the xplor unico that they couldn't find.

I'm pretty pissed, especially since dove season is Friday and I've already paid for half of it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum