Texas Hunting Forum

Best $600 I’ve spent on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200

Posted By: Kevin1

Best $600 I’ve spent on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/01/17 02:00 PM

Technically it's not a firearm.
It's .177 air rifle springer made in England. It’s the Air Arms TX200 Mk3. It’s arguably the best factory springer currently made.

The rifle is absolutely gorgeous. The bluing on this gun is comparable to a $3k rifle. The overall fit and finish is amazing. The rifle doesn’t have any plastic parts (metal trigger guard). I went with the beech stock to save $100, but it also comes with walnut stock for a better look.
The trigger is a fully adjustable 2 stage trigger. It’s perfectly adjusted from the factory. First stage 10 oz, second stage a little less than a 1lb and very crisp.

I got this rifle a couple of days ago and only shot it inside my house at 10Y. It’s exceptionally accurate (pic shows two 5 shot groups shot at 10Y from sand bag. The red circles are 1/2“). Soon I’ll shoot it at 50Y (some are getting under 1” at 50Y with this gun)

I’m very happy with this rifle. The shooting characteristics, the craftmanship and the overall experience is up there with my high-end firearms. Most people probably don't really care about air rifles, but I thought I would share my experience.

Below are some pics. They really don't do justice to this rifle as you can't really see the quality of the bluing and the craftsmanship.

Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/01/17 02:40 PM

I can appreciate that. Looks very nice.
Posted By: TXAg08

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/01/17 03:08 PM

good looking air rifle.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/01/17 06:29 PM

That's cool. Did I see, "made in China" on the scope?

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/01/17 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

It’s the Center Point scope I had on a cheap air gun. I just took the whole thing off (11mm to picatinny rail adaptor, rings and scope) and put it on this one. I’ll probably put another scope at one point.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/01/17 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin1
Originally Posted By: garyrapp55

It’s the Center Point scope I had on a cheap air gun. I just took the whole thing off (11mm to picatinny rail adaptor, rings and scope) and put it on this one. I’ll probably put another scope at one point.

Kevin1, I'm just yanking your chain. It ain't none of my business. I ran a Chinese scope that I can't remember where I got on my 22 until it died and it worked fine for a few years.
That is prolly the nicest air rifle I ever saw. What's it purpose?

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/02/17 03:34 PM

Its purpose? That’s good question. I struggled a lot to find a reason to buy a $600 springer. Realistically there is nothing that a springer can do that a 22lr can’t (and I have five 22lr guns).

Then I realized that a gun doesn’t need to have a purpose. If I like a gun and just want to have it, it’s a good enough justification in itself.
Right now, it’s only purpose for me is to admire the craftsmanship and to shoot it across the house when I get bored (family is on vacation and I’m currently working from home).
Posted By: biggerD

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/02/17 09:22 PM

Great reason
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/03/17 04:15 AM

Great looking rig. up
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/03/17 01:11 PM

I'm a huge fan of quality air rifles. You might also take a look at the Beeman R7 which is a quiet, low power rifle very suitable for backyard plinking.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/03/17 09:48 PM

Nice
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/03/17 09:49 PM

Nice

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/04/17 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
I'm a huge fan of quality air rifles. You might also take a look at the Beeman R7 which is a quiet, low power rifle very suitable for backyard plinking.

Good to know I'm not the only one. I looked up the R7. It seems to be a youth model.

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/04/17 06:57 PM

It's not a youth model per se. The reloading effort is very modest which is why it is recommended for that usage. I own a Weihrauch 30S which is the same basic rifle with a stock that's set up for use with irons rather than a scope. I've pulled the front iron sight and mounted a scope anyway, and it's absolutely a pleasure to shoot. As I said earlier, it's low velocity and it's quiet. Useless for hunting, but ideal for suburban back yard plinking and very neighbor friendly.
Posted By: 6.5BR

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 01:51 AM

Nice air rifle - high quality.

Re: the HW30 being useless for hunting. On the contrary, the R7/HW30 are used effectively on birds, squirrels, etc. for closer range work, often to 30 yds.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thr...elimenate+pests

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 05:12 AM

Took the gun to Targetmaster today and shot it indoor at 30Y and all the way at 44Y (they advertise it for 50Y, but it’s only 44Y).

With pellets it likes (JSB Exact Heavy 10.34gr):
At 30Y it groups at .340” center to center.
At 44Y it groups at 0.901” center to center.

The accuracy is as good as a standard 22LR. The shooting experience is awesome (especially with that nice crisp trigger).
I’m impressed!

Here's the targets (red dots are 0.5")

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 08:40 PM

Nice shooting.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 08:56 PM

How loud is it as compared to a .22lr

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
How loud is it as compared to a .22lr

Not comparable. You can shoot it inside the house without any hearing protection and no discomfort. It's like shooting subsonics through a suppressed 22lr gun.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 10:41 PM

its a good tool for beginners to practice with, you can shoot in your back yard, practicing the same basic skills as with a center fire rifle
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/12/17 10:55 PM

Those springers are tough on scopes, looks like your mounts are spot on. Its amazing how accurate these things are. You get what you payfor

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/13/17 05:21 AM

Yeh...The springers and some other guns (like the FAL) are pretty hard on scopes. The scope and mounts on this one are pretty cheap, but they are holding very well.
BTW I'm not sure this is a good tool for beginners to practice basic skills for center fire rifles. It's pretty heavy, not cheap, and shines best with a light hold.

For me it's an awesome gun. I'm a huge gun enthusiast and I like developing and expanding my skills and knowledge with various type of weapons. Shooting long range, rimfire, pistol, etc... are all very different and require specific knowledge and skills. This high end springer is a new area for me to explore and I like it very much.

Re: Best $600 I’ve spend on a firearm….well…it’s an air gun....AA TX200 - 09/24/17 12:52 AM

Went back to Targetmaster and shot these groups from 15, 30 and 42Y.
42 Y is the max at that range if you don't want to risk to have the target support get derailed.

I can't believe the gun was able to print a 0.362" 5 shot group at 42Y!

Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: Best $600 I�ve spend on a firearm�.well�it�s an air gun....AA TX200 - 08/21/19 01:04 AM

I am about to sell some guns and buy a TX. Good grief.

What a sweet rifle!

Re: what you can do with a TX you can't do with a .22 LR- backyard bunny bashing in the suburbs. Pigeons and squirrels too, bigger pests with a brain shot and that is a gun that will do it. And a .177 pellet on it's way back to Earth loses all it's steam.

There are WMA's I hunted squirrels in N.C. that I wouldn't dare shoot a rimfire up in the trees.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum