Texas Hunting Forum

30 Nosler Build Underway

Posted By: RedSnake

30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 02:04 AM

Gathering components for my next build -- 26" Proof Sendero light to be chambered in 30 Nosler to run 215 Berger hybrids. Will ride in a Manners EH1A Elite Tac.

Posted By: thorn4570

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 02:05 AM

Very nice. Keep the pics coming
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 03:08 AM

sweet project...following

Great start BTW pure quality
Posted By: J.G.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 03:24 AM

Chuck Norris approves of this project.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

I know I told you I don't like magnums but I just couldn't resist. Plus I gotta have something to keep up with you when you get around to building your 7-300.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 04:42 AM

roflmao It is a good one. Very nice cheers

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake

I know I told you I don't like magnums but I just couldn't resist. Plus I gotta have something to keep up with you when you get around to building your 7-300.

I've got something else up my sleeve, and that won't keep up...

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 02:49 PM

I've got something else up my sleeve, and that won't keep up...

If the chuck Norris comment was in reference to 30 Nos being a caliber for a guy with little mans complex, I'd like you to remember I'm not quite as short as you. If it was in reference to being a bada$$ in general then I'd like to return the compliment.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/24/17 02:53 PM

If it was in reference to being a bada$$ in general then I'd like to return the compliment.

That one.
Posted By: 505ed

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/25/17 03:02 PM

Thinking of doing one too...I have a finicky 30-378, that may get traded- (shoots awesome with 168's and 180's--struggles with 210 bergers and 190 bergers--and doing a 30 Nosler on a tikka 695 I've got laying around...

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/25/17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 505ed
Thinking of doing one too...I have a finicky 30-378, that may get traded- (shoots awesome with 168's and 180's--struggles with 210 bergers and 190 bergers--and doing a 30 Nosler on a tikka 695 I've got laying around...

I'll be using a Tikka T3x action. Problem with the tikka is the COAL is limited by the short length of the opening on bottom of the actions receiver -- even with AI mags a coal of 3.4 barely clears the front of the feed ramp.

Berger has load data for the 30 Nos for the 215 hybrid (unpublished but avail if you call) with a coal of 3.47 -- def better than what you can get with SAAMI coal of 3.340. HOWEVER, I found a work around.

I've designed a custom bottom metal that bumps the mag well on the bottom metal back 0.050" towards the trigger housing that allows a COAL of 3.500+. Still not quite as good as the 3.6+ you could do with a wyatts extended using a diff action -- but for my goals and purposes I'm happy with it.

This bottom metal is patterned off the short action Tikka CTR DBM that runs trg22 mags -- essentially a CTR bottom metal for long/mag cartridges. Instead of AI mags, it accepts the TRG42 magazine. I've had a prototype 3D printed in plastic and the fit and feed is far superior.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/25/17 06:09 PM

Very innovative, Spencer.

Can this bottom metal be reproduced? Have you patented it yet? I'm going to let a guy we both know about this.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/25/17 06:27 PM

PTG has agreed to one-off a handful of these for personal use to validate design and fit (will initially put it on the 280ai) -- then may moved forward with patenting and a production run. I've also met with a local manufacturer about a production run as well.

I opened up the inlet on the 280ai for the plastic prototype and it's looking promising

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/25/17 08:39 PM

Congrats, that's great!

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/25/17 09:29 PM

Thanks amigo. Tikka also widened and lengthened the ejection port on the T3x so it'll be easier to eject an unfired round with boolits seated out long.

Updates and photos to follow as the build progresses...

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/26/17 02:02 AM

I'll be using a Tikka T3x action. Problem with the tikka is the COAL is limited by the short length of the opening on bottom of the actions receiver -- even with AI mags a coal of 3.4 barely clears the front of the feed ramp.

Berger has load data for the 30 Nos for the 215 hybrid (unpublished but avail if you call) with a coal of 3.47 -- def better than what you can get with SAAMI coal of 3.340. HOWEVER, I found a work around.

I've designed a custom bottom metal that bumps the mag well on the bottom metal back 0.050" towards the trigger housing that allows a COAL of 3.500+. Still not quite as good as the 3.6+ you could do with a wyatts extended using a diff action -- but for my goals and purposes I'm happy with it.

This bottom metal is patterned off the short action Tikka CTR DBM that runs trg22 mags -- essentially a CTR bottom metal for long/mag cartridges. Instead of AI mags, it accepts the TRG42 magazine. I've had a prototype 3D printed in plastic and the fit and feed is far superior.

Very cool I'd like one...if you run into production problems...I could help...I could get them produced--as I have a lot of connections with production and machine capabilities. Also have access to a 3-d printer...

Might have to buy a new T3x just to try...

Ed

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/26/17 04:31 AM

This is very impressive. I hope this build comes out awesome and shoots even better. You have went above and beyond doing your homework too cheers

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/26/17 01:25 PM

Please call or text me a few days before you touch off this big cartridge in this light rifle. popcorn

If you need, I'll coach again.
Get straight, load the bipod, load it more-n that, exhale, squeeze......whoom!

Birds launch, tires squeal, babies cry. MURICA!!!

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/26/17 03:45 PM

Please call or text me a few days before you touch off this big cartridge in this light rifle. popcorn

If you need, I'll coach again.
Get straight, load the bipod, load it more-n that, exhale, squeeze......whoom!

Birds launch, tires squeal, babies cry. MURICA!!!

My thoughts exactly. You had cured my flinch and this might bring it back. Total weight of rifle and scope should be 10.0-10.5 pounds and I'll have a brake on it so it should be manageable.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/26/17 03:53 PM

BIIIIG brake I hope.

Lotta fuel, Lotta bullet, light rifle.
Posted By: CHASE CURTIS

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/27/17 01:44 AM

Interesting your design on the bottom metal. We are actually doing one similar with ours for a long action extended DBM/mag combo.

Should be a great build... thinking of doing a 30 nosler myself.

Keep us updated! up
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/27/17 12:11 PM

Nice watch! grin
Posted By: snarkscarbine

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 03/27/17 12:57 PM

I can't wait to see this. Great job on the bottom metal. We need to talk.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 01:49 AM

Very innovative.

Can this bottom metal be reproduced? Have you patented it yet?

Patent Pending on two designs -- either will allow the longest OAL (3.500") of any aftermarket Tikka DBM
  • Tikka T3/T3x AICS magazine compatible (Long Action) for factory/OEM stocks and aftermarket stocks

• Tikka T3/T3x TRG magazine compatible (Long Action) for aftermarket stocks only

I am anticipating they will be available for sale by late July/Aug. We are accepting Pre-Orders. If interested, PM me or sign up on our website www.redsnake-tactical.com

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 03:01 AM

Oh, I just got wood!!!
Posted By: syncerus

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 03:44 AM

When Chuck Norris dives into a pool, he doesn't get wet. The pool gets Chuck Norrised.

wink

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 12:08 PM

Very proud of you Red! up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 02:13 PM

Very innovative.

Can this bottom metal be reproduced? Have you patented it yet?

Patent Pending on two designs -- either will allow the longest OAL (3.500") of any aftermarket Tikka DBM
  • Tikka T3/T3x AICS magazine compatible (Long Action) for factory/OEM stocks and aftermarket stocks

• Tikka T3/T3x TRG magazine compatible (Long Action) for aftermarket stocks only

I am anticipating they will be available for sale by late July/Aug. We are accepting Pre-Orders. If interested, PM me or sign up on our website www.redsnake-tactical.com

That's pretty cool. Out of curiosity clicked on your website, but it wont open. Maybe just me/my computer, just an FYI.

Any updates on the rifle?
Posted By: trigger time

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 06:11 PM

Need to start making magazines to go with it! Oh and My carbon fiber A5 just showed up for my build. Carbon barrel should be here tomorrow. See what you done started.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
That's pretty cool. Out of curiosity clicked on your website, but it wont open. Maybe just me/my computer, just an FYI.

Any updates on the rifle?

Site is not live yet -- waiting to have pieces in hand.

Gathering components for build and spec'ing the reamer/free bore. Manners stock is rate-limiting step.

Tikka T3x action
26" Proof barrel
Manners EH1A stock
RedSnake TRG bottom metal
Surefire 762RC suppressor
Glass undecided
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/16/17 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: trigger time
Need to start making magazines to go with it! Oh and My carbon fiber A5 just showed up for my build. Carbon barrel should be here tomorrow. See what you done started.

sounds cool TT, will follow this too as I have the hot's for a lightweight hunter

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/17/17 09:18 PM

I want one...how would I tell Manners to inlet it?
Sako TRG?

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 05/17/17 11:34 PM

I want one...how would I tell Manners to inlet it?
Sako TRG?

PM sent.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 06/12/17 07:30 PM

Sent my bolt up to LRI to get jeweled. Should look pretty sweet with the carbon fiber manners stock and proof barrel.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 10/25/17 07:00 PM

Manners EH1-A finally came in the mail. Parts are at gunsmith - hopefully getting screwed together soon. Proof barrel, Tikka action and our TRG magazine compatible bottom metal.

Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 10/25/17 08:24 PM

We have a 30 Nosler in stock now, interesting build but man the 33 has been a hammer

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 10/25/17 09:54 PM

33 Nos would be a heavy hitter. Btw, Derrick that was one heck of a Wy mulie you knocked down. Congrats

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 02/15/18 02:50 AM

Finally ironed out the kinks and got it scoped. It’s gonna share the 5-25 Tangent Theta for now. Just need to shoot in the barrel and accumulate some brass then it’s gonna be a fun day up at Fireman’s for load dev. 215 bergers are on the menu.

Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 02/15/18 03:55 AM

Finally ironed out the kinks and got it scoped. It’s gonna share the 5-25 Tangent Theta for now. Just need to shoot in the barrel and accumulate some brass then it’s gonna be a fun day up at Fireman’s for load dev. 215 bergers are on the menu.

Badass rig. I like everything about it.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 02/15/18 04:06 AM

Very nice Red. That is one hell of a rifle.

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 02/15/18 04:19 AM

Tony warned me that it “thumps pretty good”. I have not shot it yet and now I’m a little intimidated.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: 30 Nosler Build Underway - 02/15/18 04:34 AM

Don't be scurred, homie.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum