Texas Hunting Forum

In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week?

Posted By: Deerhunter61

In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 09:31 PM

Guys,

I'm just curious how many of you guys are shooting in this heat. I was shooting a couple of time a week but when it started getting in the upper 90s I decided to give it a rest. I can't shoot early during the week and it's just way to crowded at the public range on Saturdays. I'm hopefully going to be in a private gun club by the end of the month which should make it a little easier to shoot early on Saturdays.

Thanks
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 09:40 PM

I actually just left the range. It depends on the situation for me though. I try to shoot every weekend of the year that my wife doesn't have something else planned for me, and if I have a match coming up or I'm doing load development, I'll shoot during the week too. Or if I get a new toy that I'm dying to try out.grin
Posted By: Limit Extender

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 09:42 PM

This heat is for the birds. I haven't shot in several months, and with this heat I just don't feel like it at all.

Will probably start back up again in September when temps finally start dropping a bit.

I'm a member at a private gun club, but I don't even want to shoot early right now!!
Posted By: 603Country

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 10:12 PM

I have a 100 yard range here at the house, and the covered shooting bench is 50 feet from an air conditioned workshop. But, I still don't shoot that much. Once a week for sure, but not a lot of rounds.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 10:15 PM

I shoot every week - but I live at 4500 feet, where it cools down 20-30 degrees every night, year round. So I show up at the range at daybreak during the summer, and it is comfortable until 9 or 10am, when the sun gets everything heated up again.

The flip-side to the nice overnight cooling at high altitude is that during the day, the sun is much stronger than it is at lower elevations. Big hats and long sleeves are popular here.

In winter-time, I wait until 9 or 10am to go shooting, after it has warmed up a bit.
Posted By: okstatefan

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 10:26 PM

I went out a couple of days in June and a couple in July. It was fun for a bit, but got miserable quite quickly. When my son was home on leave a couple of weeks ago, we were out for three hours in the late afternoon. I didn't even clean my guns that evening; they had to wait until the next day.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 10:46 PM

My goal is to hit the range about once a month during the off season, and take a different rifle on each trip.
Posted By: glb1955

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/01/16 11:38 PM

Since I have more time on my hands these days, and I have my loading bench set up, I am trying to get out once a week and early so I can beat the heat.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 01:08 AM

I usually go 3-5 times a week, but I live clos to the ranch, usually just shoot a couple of hours before dark.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 01:10 AM

I see coyotes 12 months a year, so I shoot 12 months a year. End of the day, today, I went cold bore at 500, then 600 1 MOA, 700 1 MOA, 800 1 MOA, 300 1 MOA, 400 1 MOA. Rolled up, and headed home.

Heat in the summer is just part of life in Texas. Very glad my platform has a roof, though.
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 02:45 AM

I still shoot every week
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 02:49 AM

I shoot clays every Thursday evening because it's on my way home from work. It's Africa hot but I'll be ready for the dove opener.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 03:20 AM

Just burned 85 rnds at Tiger Valley on Saturday 200-1000yrds and 50rnds off the 60' tower ukd range
Posted By: Ritter

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 03:31 AM

Weather permitting I shoot every week. I have a group of friends that are always willing to brave the elements to get some practice in. I will admit that we do what we can to try and beat the heat.

I had just made a few targets for a friend and he really wanted to test them out so we started at 530 yards and shot all the way to 1216 yards today.

I even managed a decent 11" group on the 1216 yard steel in a pretty difficult wind today.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 11:35 AM

If I have a breeze yes. Just shot a couple hundred rounds with the Glock yesterday but I don't start until about 6:30-7:00.

It wasn't bad at all if you have shade and a breeze.
Posted By: rickym

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 12:32 PM

Because im always tinkering with different rifles and ammo, i shoot year round
Posted By: David Maas

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 12:40 PM

How does anyone dove hunt if it's too hot?

We shot Friday and again Sunday afternoon about 2 until 4
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
This heat is for the birds. I haven't shot in several months, and with this heat I just don't feel like it at all.

Will probably start back up again in September when temps finally start dropping a bit.

I'm a member at a private gun club, but I don't even want to shoot early right now!!

Wow just WOW! Stop being a female dog! bang bang
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 02:45 PM

I do most of my shooting at a private range behind my friend's house. He just happens to have a pool, so it's jump in the pool with a t-shirt on, get wet then head for the range in wet shorts and t-shirt. Shoot an hour or so until I completely dry out and start getting hot, then it's back into the pool. Repeat as needed.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 04:02 PM

I have a 270 yd range at home. Have targets at 50, 100, 150 and 270. I shoot at something every day. It might be pistol, shotgun or rifle.
Posted By: GLC

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 04:50 PM

Guess I am a light weight too. As much as I enjoy shooting I hate the heat. Probably hate the humidity more though. When I lived in El Paso, it did not bother me as much. Of course it could be that I am old and gray now. Put me on a tractor under a roof and I can go all day long. Put me sitting still, in the sun and I melt quickly. Also 3.5 hours to the lease to go play in the heat or go to the range and put up with the crazies in the heat. Don't think so.
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 05:07 PM

I don't go outside during the summer
Posted By: Navasot

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 05:12 PM

only white man waste bullet on target
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/02/16 08:57 PM

I work 6 days a week or more in the summer so I can guarantee you i am not going to the range on my days off since I already work outside. When kids go back to school and September rolls around I will start making my bimonthly trips to the range again.

But until then not a chance in this heat!
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/03/16 07:10 PM

I GOT TO go shoot my new Ruger #1 6.5 Creed just to see how bad it shoots and how crappy the trigger is.

I'll let you know if it leads to heatstroke
Posted By: JTPinTX

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/04/16 07:27 PM

Normally I shoot 3-5 days a week, year round. But I haven't shot in 8 weeks, and it will probably be that much longer until I shoot again.

Posted By: Nitronx898

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/04/16 07:47 PM

I'm not shoot rifles but I do about 300-400 rounds of sporting clays a week.
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/05/16 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: David Maas
How does anyone dove hunt if it's too hot?

It's ALWAYS hot for the opener, but who does that stop??

I've averaged at least one trip to the range every other week for months now. I prefer load testing and development in the heat, it gives me confidence that I won't be seeing pressure spikes with a chosen load regardless of the weather.
Posted By: Skipetex

Re: In this heat how many of you guys are still shooting every week? - 08/06/16 12:24 AM

Early morning
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum