Texas Hunting Forum

Want to build a gun cabinet

Posted By: JohnRussell

Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 12:48 AM

Hey folks....I had a gun cabinet but it was made for rifles that did not have scopes on them. So, figured when the new house is done, I want to build or buy a gun cabinet that can hold like 8 or so rifles with scopes....maybe have a couple drawers etc.. all locking.

Anyone know of any cabinet plans for scopes etc?

Maybe I just need to take a "regular" cabinet plan I like and add a little extra depth to it?

Russ
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 01:18 AM

just take a "regular" cabinet plan I like and add a little extra depth to it?

That will work, have done that before
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 01:23 AM

They're are the old school gun cabinets on Craigslist, very reasonable.

I would love to re do one, but I have no talent or ability.
Posted By: danmac

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 05:46 AM

I love gun cabinets, had one in my early days they can look really nice when all tricked out...but I
would worry about them being to easy to steal. Good luck on your build.
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 11:20 AM

I think the idea of adding some depth to the cabinet is best.

The cabinet should be deeper, and the rack should have a few inches added to its depth as well. ( The rack, not the U-shaped cuts in the rack.)

Like JohnRussell, I have a gun cabinet which is really only useful for shotguns and un-scoped rifles like a .22 or a 30-30 for example. Anything with a scope winds up in the safe, which is getting to be pretty crowded.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 12:10 PM

Back in the 1960's, my wife's Uncle Roy added a den/trophy run onto his house. Along one 28' long wall, a cabinet maker artfully built a full-length gun display cabinet, complete with dimmable lighting and glass doors. Only an exit doorway penetrated that wall, pretty much in the center. Roy had his many dozens of rifles displayed on one side and his handguns and shotguns on the other.

I always made it a point to drop off at Roy's and drool whenever we went to Columbus and Garwood. I don't think any one ever broke in and stole any guns; in fact, I don't believe Roy ever bothered locking the doors to the cabinet.....or to his house. Roy's long gone now and the house is sold. I wonder if the new owner has been as lucky as Roy?
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 12:24 PM

Yea, I grew up with a gun cabinet in our living room and I always loved it. Never had the house robbed. I just don't care to locate a gun safe in a closet. I like people knowing I have guns in my house, deters all the non stupid ones and the stupid ones.. well, they move slower wink

Seriously though.. I prefer one of those over a safe, but I need the scope mounts. Will see what I can do to make one and then post it, but it will be a while.. have to finish the house and then the workshop first wink

Thanks guys!

Russ
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Want to build a gun cabinet - 01/15/16 01:56 PM

you might be able to retro the cabinet you have by working on the back rack, have done, its easy
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum