Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone carry an AR in their car??

Posted By: Buzzsaw

Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 01:52 PM

daily use, anyone take their AR with them?? If the SHTF you are ready for a longer shot?

or am I just super paranoid?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 01:54 PM

Just a 10/22 most times. Get up close, base of the skull.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 02:28 PM

That's paranoid
Posted By: Cast

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 02:33 PM

Yup. My little gun is just for fighting my way to the big gun.

And it's packing 60 grain partitions.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 03:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
daily use, anyone take their AR with them?? If the SHTF you are ready for a longer shot?

No Buzz, but I do carry the 6.5 Creedmoor or the 7mm-08. How long of a shot you talkin? grin

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 03:18 PM

Well, everybody knows a 1:9 ar is only accurate out to 150 yards.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 03:20 PM

100yds?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
That's paranoid

Maybe. The "well-adjusted" die in a SHTF scenario though.
Posted By: TRoberts

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast

roflmao

I do. But I use it for work each day, so thats the only reason.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 04:39 PM

Heck yeah. That's where I go when I feel dumb. I leave there feeling much smarter.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 04:39 PM

You heard that at Gander Mtn. I bet
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 05:51 PM

It's all over the internet. How can anyone not know that?
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: BassCat'99
You heard that at Gander Mtn. I bet

Mmmhmm. Same when used with 55 grain FMJ too.

They wouldn't say it if'n it wasn't true... rofl
Posted By: passthru

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 07:02 PM

When I travel I carry one in my truck.
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 09:10 PM

Usually a couple of AR's but I think I will just upgrade to this. Not sure how to drive and shoot though.
confused2

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Nug5FZgxuk
Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/23/15 11:33 PM

How can you determine the twist on a given barrel?
Posted By: passthru

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 12:31 AM

It says it on the barrel.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Originally Posted By: passthru

If it is not labeled (as are most bolt actions) you need a cleaning rod and a patch holder with the slot inside.

Put enough patches in the slot that they will engage rifleing. Start the patch into the barrel (breech end preferred if your cleaning rod is long enough) mark the rod with a sharpie where the rod meets the action. Mark the rod longitudinally at the handle (timing mark), mark the handle as well. Push the rod down the barrel until the timing marks make one full revolution, mark the rod where it meets the action again. Retract the rod, measure the distance between the marks where they met the action. So you have one twist in "X" amount of inches, therefore twist rate.

I really should take pictures of this process and generate a post. I comes up quite often.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Originally Posted By: bigbob_ftw

Originally Posted By: passthru

If it is not labeled (as are most bolt actions) you need a cleaning rod and a patch holder with the slot inside.

Put enough patches in the slot that they will engage rifleing. Start the patch into the barrel (breech end preferred if your cleaning rod is long enough) mark the rod with a sharpie where the rod meets the action. Mark the rod longitudinally at the handle (timing mark), mark the handle as well. Push the rod down the barrel until the timing marks make one full revolution, mark the rod where it meets the action again. Retract the rod, measure the distance between the marks where they met the action. So you have one twist in "X" amount of inches, therefore twist rate.

I really should take pictures of this process and generate a post. I comes up quite often.

Yep. This barrel isn't marked. My bil said to use your method.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 03:01 AM

If things have gone far enough south that I need a rifle to get back to my house, then I'm not sure I want to be around any longer anyway.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
Usually a couple of AR's but I think I will just upgrade to this. Not sure how to drive and shoot though.
confused2

Saw that on Gunny's show the other day. So badazz!

Lol my auto correct kicked in with "badazz" and wrote "bedazzled". Sure glad I caught that! roflmao
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 04:12 AM

Posted By: thedoveshooter

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 05:24 AM

I carry a Mosin Nagant M/38 carbine in my truck. And a bandoleer with ammo on stripper clips.

FYI: This is by far the loudest gun I've ever shot. I use ear plugs and ear muffs at the same time and its like only using one of them. Oh, and fire shoots out the barrel. Kind of a "shock and awe" weapon. lol
Posted By: hetman

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 12:23 PM

confused2

wonder what that sounds like right over the drivers head
Posted By: charlesb

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 12:30 PM

An AR-10, maybe.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 07:05 PM

I Prefer "Prepared" EDC for the truck is AR, plate carrier with load out, and trauma kit.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 07:58 PM

Some folks call that a ranch rifle for those hog terrorists.
Posted By: BassCat'99

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 05/24/15 08:36 PM

confused2

you drive and I'll shoot
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/02/15 05:07 PM

As A Matter of fact, Yes I do..... up

Posted By: Chunky Dunk

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/02/15 05:34 PM

Very nice MRMO, I believe there is a folding stock on the market for AR's that might make this an easy thing to do.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/02/15 07:05 PM

Think I'll just drape a blankey over mine, but I love the James Bond Attaché look...
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/03/15 04:03 AM

Why carry just one? This vault bolts under the back seat in my truck and can carry any number of things depending on the current need.

Just for reference before I installed the foam:

Posted By: senderoman

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/03/15 07:13 PM

As a matter of fact I do.Under the back seat and you would never know it
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: senderoman
As a matter of fact I do. Under the back seat and you would never know it

Yes, of course. One of mine is on the underside of my pickup truck's back seat, attached with Velcro. No case, just the carbine and short scope with a Pmag-30 loaded with hollow points. Never know when I may come across more hogs than my .357 can reach!

The AR platform is the new "basic ranch rifle" - so every one around here carries one in their truck. Some are 5.56, others are 7.62.

Marc

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 12:57 AM

Really neat ideas guys
Posted By: fill

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 04:34 AM

Nope, but rather an old 1972 Romanian AK behind the back seat with 3 mags loaded up with surplus yugo 7.62x39 FMJs....for those hogs that might be seeking cover behind light cover. That ammo ain't good for much else.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 01:43 PM

Very nice set up Rex. up
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Why carry just one? This vault bolts under the back seat in my truck and can carry any number of things depending on the current need.

That is nice but if your truck ever gets broken into the thieves are going to strike gold. This little locks on top look really easy to pop.
Posted By: Chickenman

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 02:10 PM

I don't keep a rifle in the truck most of the time but when I do, I bring an old Colt.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal

That is nice but if your truck ever gets broken into the thieves are going to strike gold. This little locks on top look really easy to pop.

I don't usually carry that setup around smile I mainly have the safe for when we are traveling and have to leave guns in the car during the day. While I know it isn't thief proof, it is a lot sturdier than it looks and I've changed the locks out to something better. Either way, it is meant to deter a thief, stopping a smash and grab in broad daylight. I'm not going to park my truck in the ghetto to see how well it holds up....lol
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 04:12 PM

Gotcha, that is a really cool setup though.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
Gotcha, that is a really cool setup though.

For traveling it is perfect, also it removes from the truck in under 5 mins so when I don't need it, it sits in the garage. I hated just having gun cases sitting in the back seat, felt like it was asking for something bad to happen.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 04:59 PM

There are quite a few scenarios where I can see law enforcement not being able to provide safety to all those who need it.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

There are quite a few scenarios where I can see law enforcement not being able to provide safety to all those who need it.

IE Hurricane Katrina......
Posted By: Scary Poppins

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 05:50 PM

I won't leave anything worth over $200 in the car full time. I do have a maverick 88 that occasionally finds it's way into one car or another though.

If I have made it to my car then I have an escape route.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/04/15 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

IE Hurricane Katrina......

Yes, Hurricane Rita was a very eye-opening experience for Houstonians.

I was working in Dallas that week and left early to get back to Houston. When I reached Buffalo, I had to switch over to Hwy 75 because all lanes of I-45 were being used for north bound traffic. As I reached each small town heading towards Houston, it was like being thrown into a War of the Worlds movie. You would have thought Houston had just been invaded and people were fleeing for their lives. There were people and cars stranded along the highway after running out of gas, and yet, I had two 5 gallon containers of the stuff in the rear floorboard. Needless to say, with a wife and family expecting me to be home soon, I didn't feel completely safe on the road with such chaos around me. The next morning, the principle of our local high school called and said he had 600 people housed in the school with no food and no means to go anywhere. And conditions got worse along I-45 where people were literally dying from the heat. A friend told me that before the stations ran out of gas, people were using anything that would hold liquid to try and get gas in their vehicles. And to make matters worse, the storm made a turn and hit the Beaumont area. To this day, I blame the local Houston news media for creating a panic that caused death and loss that never had to be, even if the storm had hit the area. IMO, they made people believe that what happened in New Orleans a few months earlier, was destined to happen here. The truth is, 9 out of 10 people who die in hurricanes, die in the storm surge. And the vast majority of those on who were trying to get out of Houston that day, including all those elderly people who died in the bus fire on I-45, did not live in an area threatened by a storm surge.

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/05/15 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Chickenman
I don't keep a rifle in the truck most of the time but when I do, I bring an old Colt.

Love it.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Anyone carry an AR in their car?? - 06/05/15 01:48 AM

Everyday Dpms lr 243 lite in the front seat. Never know when a coyote or hog may jump out .
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum