Texas Hunting Forum

Pen Gun

Posted By: BCJ

Pen Gun - 01/06/15 02:39 AM

It was time for something different than another suppressor. An approved form 1 = a stainless steel pen gun.
All parts were made from scratch (other than two springs). I made an offset captured firing pin and striker assembly. Barrel is 416 stainless from a green mountain blank, everything else is 304 stainless. I still need to blast the whole thing for a nice finish.

Ready to fire

Offset firing pin
Posted By: texretvet

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 02:47 AM

I like it!
Posted By: KRoyal

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 02:51 AM

What caliber? That's nuts haha.

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: KRoyal
What caliber? That's nuts haha.

Its a 22LR
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 03:20 AM

Sweet!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 03:23 AM

Why?

I ask because I almost shot myself in the face one night at work with a 22mag that looked like a lighter. The suspects kept reaching for it, I grabbed it and asked him why he wanted this so bad, just as I was pointing it at my face and about to click the lighter on he screamed. I stopped an he said "man you're about to shoot yourself." Then he explained that the Bic lighter was converted into a zip gun and would fire 2 shots and that at 5-10 yards would have a 10 inch spread. I was a little sick to my stomach later that night

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Why?

Honest answer is because I can and I wanted to build something different. I understand your story but I highly doubt that was a registered AOW based on the guy whom had it. I like designing random things and my passion is guns. I was very unimpressed with the few pen guns I found on the NFA market since they fired like an open bolt without a closed breach.
About 70% of the project cost was the tax stamp
Posted By: TDK

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 04:09 AM

dont recommend carrying it cocked...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 06:18 PM

I have a .38 pen gun that my grandfather carried during WWII. I'll try to get a pic next time I'm at the ranch.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 06:45 PM

Why?

I ask because I almost shot myself in the face one night at work with a 22mag that looked like a lighter. The suspects kept reaching for it, I grabbed it and asked him why he wanted this so bad, just as I was pointing it at my face and about to click the lighter on he screamed. I stopped an he said "man you're about to shoot yourself." Then he explained that the Bic lighter was converted into a zip gun and would fire 2 shots and that at 5-10 yards would have a 10 inch spread. I was a little sick to my stomach later that night

Don't you know the first rule of lighter handling? Never point a lighter at something you don't intend to burn.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 06:50 PM

You may think about making a captive secondary sear shelf just before the firing pin start coming out of the breach face. This will ensure that if the pen is dropped in the uncocked position it can't go off, and it will also prevent the firing pin from touching the primer unless the trigger is held down.

It would also be possible to add a sliding safety to it.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Pen Gun - 01/06/15 11:05 PM

Just looks like something to shoot your tittie off to me.....
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 01:48 AM

Why such hate on this guy's creation??
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 02:34 AM

I think it's cool and applaud you for having the skills and patience to build it.

That said I agree with NP, I'd probably shoot myself in the chest with it.
Posted By: BushFamilyNine

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 02:55 AM

Looks like the first model is off to a good start. A person with a lathe is only limited by time and money.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 02:59 AM

That is awesome. Good work on it. Have you shot it yet?

Walter

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Tactical Cowboy
Why such hate on this guy's creation??

I'm not hating his creation, anything somebody can build and it works is cool in my books. I just have a sore spot for these devices.

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 04:14 AM

Of the questions above:

I'll add a small cotter pin safety to it the same as I used on my flashlight gun. It makes it unable to fire if dropped and its simple to remove when ready to fire. Much safer than a second cocking notch.

This was just a fun build to see what I could come up with. I don't plan on carrying it anywhere (I carry a glock 27 so really no need for a single shot 22). This will sit in the safe next to the grenade launcher, 9" sxs shotguns and flashlight gun for those special trips out. NFA isn't always practical but it sure is fun.

A few bad people give some cool little gadgets like this a bad name. But there is an important place for them throughout history and for weirdos like me that like to collect stuff.

I've fire a few rounds through it so far and its easy to control and fun to shoot
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 03:28 PM

Thread it for a suppressor smile

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

If he built it right I think the entire thing could be a suppressed barrel, but it might look like a Magnum 44 marker, would it then be a marker gun instead of pen gun?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 04:22 PM

Outstanding cheers
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 04:32 PM

that is pimp.. nice work cheers
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

If he built it right I think the entire thing could be a suppressed barrel, but it might look like a Magnum 44 marker, would it then be a marker gun instead of pen gun?

Re: Pen Gun - 01/07/15 06:07 PM

I would build a suppressed flashlight gun but then it would be two tax stamps which kind of adds too much cost to remain fun. If I get bored I might end up threading the barrel of this one for my 3.5" micro 22 suppressor.

Re: Pen Gun - 01/21/15 06:54 PM

finally had a chance to blast it.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Pen Gun - 01/21/15 08:04 PM

Man that stuff is awesome. Can you make a video of shooting it?

Walter
Posted By: MR2 David

Re: Pen Gun - 01/22/15 07:15 PM

seriously on the video thing, i would love to see that. Wish i had the tools to make such cool ART!
Posted By: shumpertdavid

Re: Pen Gun - 01/23/15 10:06 PM

Very nice work. I like it just for the simple fact that you used your hands and skills to make it. Practical, probably not.... Cool Factor, very much so. Great work sir
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum