Texas Hunting Forum

Browning A-bolt

Posted By: Lab

Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 12:16 PM

Was looking at the Browning A-bolts the other day. I really liked the way they handled. Can anyone tell me the accuracy of these rifles and maybe some pros and cons about this? Thanks fellas

P.s. The caliber is 25-06 smile
Posted By: Mchunter11

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 01:04 PM

I have a A bolt in 7 mag and absolutely love it. I have had zero problems and its as accurate as anything else I have shot. I use a Winchester ballistic silver tip and I can put a great group together with it. It's my favorite rifle and I have nothing bad to say about it. Hope it helps.
Posted By: redmist220

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 01:09 PM

I got a 7mm08 , It shoots great with factory ammo, But i hand rolled some for it . 1 1/2 high at 100 and very deadly . Can't go wrong with them imo .
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 01:22 PM

I can't think of a negative to the browning abolts. I love mine

Buy it and start killing deer with it, you be glad you did
Posted By: ZombieGun

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 01:26 PM

I have a micro medallion in 22 hornet. That thing groups like a dream with the Hornady 35gr Vmax custom loads that they make. I've always been exclusively a Remmy fan but this rifle will stay in my collection for sure.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 01:30 PM

I have a 300mag its 1.5" gun

Buddy has 270wsm its sub moa.

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 02:00 PM

I think I'm going to go ahead and get it. I chose the 25-06 so I can use it for multiple things. Hope she's a shooter.
Posted By: TonyLama

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 02:11 PM

I have a medallion a-bolt in 25-06 and absolutely love it mine loves hornady 117grain SST's
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 02:42 PM

FIL has a 300 Win. It is at least a 1" gun.

There is one downside though. Apparently, if you drop it out of a 20" tripod stand, the stock will break in half. Just my two cents. (And yes I laughed, after I knew he was okay and had not shot himself in the butt.)
Posted By: Korean Redneck

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 05:25 PM

My first deer was shot with a 7mag A bolt borrowed from a friend. I loved it. Shot 3 sight in check shots the day before and shot the deer at 175yards. I was anew is to shooting back then.

Didn't buy one, got a 700 adl instead. Knowing what I know now I should have just got an A bolt.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Quack Addict
Was looking at the Browning A-bolts the other day. I really liked the way they handled. Can anyone tell me the accuracy of these rifles and maybe some pros and cons about this? Thanks fellas

P.s. The caliber is 25-06 smile

Only down side is lack of aftermarket triggers, but you can get a triggers spring. Easy do it yourself job

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 06:06 PM

Hopefully it won't need any trigger work, they don't really bother me.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 06:28 PM

I've taken several deer and hogs with my little .243.

Only negative is that it's one of those guns that by design, the safety must be off to open the bolt. In other words, the safety locks the bolt closed. I was told some manufacturers do this so that the bolt cannot be bumped open while being carried, ensuring the gun is ready once the safety is pushed off.

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 06:53 PM

that wouldnt bother me much. i like that better. actually makes me feel safer that away.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 09:36 PM

that wouldnt bother me much. i like that better. actually makes me feel safer that away.

Yes, the design also has its merits.

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/30/13 09:54 PM

Yes it does.
Posted By: Adelbridge

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 03:33 AM

I bought a used 7mm rem mag stainless stalker with boss and it is .75 Moa bone stock. Might be the best off the shelf rifle out there. I would not pay full retail for one, they are priced pretty high compared to winchesters and tikka s
Posted By: Mike Bristow

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 03:43 AM

I've got a 30-06 A bolt that is 99.7% NIB condition with a monarch 4-16X42 about to go up for sale if anyone is interested.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 03:43 AM

A-Bolts have a sorry reputation among Alaskan guides and sportsmen because the trigger assembly has a tendency to corrode to complete ruination over time. But the extreme weather conditions up there can destroy most anything.....

I once owned one in 25-06 and shot several whitetails and a desert bighorn ram with it. It was very accurate and was light enough to qualify as a mountain rifle.

I think it would be a fine choice for a Texas rifle.
Posted By: DCS

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 04:05 AM

Three shots, 100 yards, Browning 308 A-Bolt shooting my reloads.

Bullet - Nosler 150 grain Ballistic Tip
Powder - 45 grains of IMR 4320
Primer - Federal 210M

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 02:37 PM

Which ammo seems to run the best though an a bolt 25-06? Anyone know? The guy I purchased from said that winchester hollow point 120 grains were the best. Just didn't wanna be out there buying a ton of ammo to see what shot the best.
Posted By: NTXBowfisher

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: TonyLama
I have a medallion a-bolt in 25-06 and absolutely love it mine loves hornady 117grain SST's
Posted By: Wader

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 03:08 PM

I absolutely love my 30-06

Which ammo seems to run the best though an a bolt 25-06? Anyone know? The guy I purchased from said that winchester hollow point 120 grains were the best. Just didn't wanna be out there buying a ton of ammo to see what shot the best.

Unfortunately trying lots of ammo is the only way to find what is "best". Two rifles with sequential serial numbers may like different ammo.

For hunting you really just need to know what is good enough for the size target within a given range. For factory hunting ammo I look at bullet weight and construction for my intended game more than absolute best accuracy, especially with light fast bullets. Just so long as it has a decent group and not a shotgun pattern.

My 06 will shoot just about any factory ammo well enough for a deer inside 200 yards. My handloads or factory ammo it likes and that I have tuned in the BOSS for are substantially better though.

I would love to have a matching 25-06 in the safe, maybe one of these days when I am between kids in college.
-ww

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/31/13 04:06 PM

I would love that also. 25-06 is about as big as I am gonna go considering shoulder problems frown
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/28/14 05:47 PM

troll
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/28/14 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Lab
25-06 is about as big as I am gonna go considering shoulder problems frown

While I dislike muzzle brakes, I've owned two rifles so equipped, a .300 Weatherby equivalent wildcat and a .375 H&H, and they work quite well. In spite of my reservations, I'd install a brake before I sold a rifle that I really liked. I had my right (shooting) shoulder rebuilt a couple years ago and was fortunate enough to recover without significant problems, so I understand the concern.
Posted By: thorn4570

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/30/14 01:57 AM

You can't go wrong with a browning. The man was a genius. I have had and have several they are all shooters.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/30/14 02:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Mchunter11
I have a A bolt in 7 mag and absolutely love it. I have had zero problems and its as accurate as anything else I have shot. I use a Winchester ballistic silver tip and I can put a great group together with it. It's my favorite rifle and I have nothing bad to say about it. Hope it helps.

Same thing I have to say about my medallion

Can't say one negative thing about it
Posted By: Piper354

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/30/14 12:30 PM

1993 model SS .338 Win Mag with a KDF muzzle break. Love it Got it when I was in AK. I shot a dall sheep with it, friend shot a brown bear and trophy caribou with it. Shot a hog with it last year. Only 'complaint' is with a 26 inch barrel and the MB it is a little front heavy. But no big deal.

Mike
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/30/14 01:20 PM

I had a A-bolt in 300win mag with the BOSS, it was a 1 inch gun, prob would have been better in the hands of somebody that could shoot. I only had a Leupold VX3 3-9x50 on it, and while it is a good scope, it did not do the caliber justice. Wish I had never sold it bang
Posted By: Satch

Re: Browning A-bolt - 09/30/14 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
troll

clap
Posted By: senderoman

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/01/14 03:39 PM

I have a 270wsm white gold medallion that shoots great.Down side,it is too pretty to hunt with
Posted By: orpco

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/01/14 10:23 PM

I have 2 one in 25 wssm and one in 300 wsm. The 25 has taken whitetail out to 350 and the 300 has taken both mule deer and bull elk. Both are good shooters and have been very reliable. Both are stainless and synthetic stocks. They are good hunting rifles.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Browning A-bolt - 10/01/14 11:01 PM

Try out an X Bolt. I have a White Gold Medallion in .270 Win. that's a tack driver.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum