Texas Hunting Forum

Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW

Posted By: sigav8r

Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/27/12 04:49 PM

Looking for a DFW area gunsmith to help with a shotgun. Anyone have any recommendations? Looking to get some assistance with a Winchester Super X 1. Or do any of you fine gents have extensive experience owning one?
Posted By: Spacemonkey

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/27/12 05:14 PM

i dont know anything about the x1..i have the x3..but you might try youtube. I work on my guns myself, and you would be amazed at what you can find on youtube.

There used to be a gunsmith out by alpine shooting range. Not at the range but right down the street. Dont know if they are still there or not.
Posted By: Matt

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/27/12 05:22 PM

McClelland Gun Shop in east Dallas and Euless guns and ammo. Both have good gunsmiths and both have done fine work for me. I don't know if they still are, but McClelland used to be a Winchester authorized service center.
I hope this helps.

Thanks!!
Matt

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/27/12 08:22 PM

Thanks guys! I tried the YouTube route, but nothing on the super x1 sadly.
Posted By: TDK

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/27/12 08:52 PM

What exactly is the issue? Im a gunbuilder and used to have a Super X-1. Im not taking in work right now but could maybe help; if not I would send it to ADM Gunmakers(Andrew McFarlan).

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/28/12 02:57 PM

Thanks TDK. Just need someone to help walk me through replacing the bolt buffer and other major parts that wear on the gun. Nothing wrong that I can tell with it...just doin some research and that was what I was told was a replace immediately if not previously done.

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/28/12 02:58 PM

I'm a visual learner, so seeing someone do it does a lot more than trying to read about it and do it!
Posted By: TDK

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/28/12 03:17 PM

I just use a wooden dowel inserted through the action face(without barrel on). Just seat the buffer into its hole, put the dowel in, then give the dowel a good whack. The buffer should just snap into its hole. To get the old one out you have to take the stock off and go in from the back.

If you have one of the earlier production guns with the screw at the end of the rib i would highly recommend putting some loctite on the screw so it wont back out. The only time people have issue with the rib is when that screw starts to back out.
Posted By: newtexan

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/29/12 02:01 PM

I just went to Ray's Sporting Goods on Singleton ave a couple of weeks ago. I posted about it in the Gunsmith section. I think the guy who helped me was named Ron, and he was great. I would definitely recommend taking a ride over there and talking to him. I only needed someone to grind a recoil pad for me, so nothing too complicated, but he was super friendly and helpful.
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/29/12 10:12 PM

I have had awesome results from Williams Precision Gunsmithing in Hurst. (117 w. Pipeline Rd.)

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/29/12 10:33 PM

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/29/12 11:20 PM

Originally Posted By: TDK
What exactly is the issue? Im a gunbuilder and used to have a Super X-1. Im not taking in work right now but could maybe help; if not I would send it to ADM Gunmakers(Andrew McFarlan).

Andrew is good.
Also there is Larry Pockrus in Krum, near Denton.
Posted By: Hogfan1

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/30/12 04:05 PM

Gunmaster in Plano
Posted By: beaversnipe

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/30/12 04:18 PM

The best one is adm gun in southlake.
South african guy who worked for the best in england.
If he cant find the part, he will make it

Top of the line, you will not be disappointed, plus affordable
Posted By: The Bone

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/30/12 06:02 PM

Yep..........what newtexan said! I had Ron at rays take apart and refinnish my 1953 auto 5 browning and he did excellant work. Rays also took apart the metal and reblued and reassembled the shotgun and it works great!!!
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Someone recommend a gunsmith around DFW - 08/30/12 06:03 PM

Yeah Ray's is a good place to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum