Texas Hunting Forum

AR vs. AK

Posted By: DeerSlayer31

AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 02:56 PM

Are AKs worth the money when you can spend another $200 for an entry level AR??? I want a gun thats fun to shoot but also accurate and dependable. What are everyones thoughts???

Posted By: Navasot

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:01 PM

Get an AK-74...5.45x39 instead of the ak-47 7.62x39...very tuff gun and is much more accurate than the 47...and is still cheaper than the AR

Posted By: BoomStick

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:05 PM

i have both ak47 and AR, like them both. Both are accurate for me. really depends of ur application for them. The AK is my go to gun do to their ruggedness and i dont care if it gets dirty or scratched up. Just plinking, i would go with the AK, rounds are cheaper.

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:09 PM

The AKs just feel cheap to me. I went to the gun store and looked at em and I feel like their not worth the money they want for them.

Posted By: JWP58

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:21 PM

If you buy a quality Ak (arsenal) chances are they are going to run the same amount as a quality AR (or close)

1. AR's are just as "dependable" as AK's. Stop believing the crap you hear in gunshops
2. A good quality AK is way more accurate than they are given credit for, again stop believing everything you hear in gunshops.

Erogonomics and weapon manipulation make the AR the winner for me.

Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:22 PM

Oh no, here we go again popcorn

Posted By: Navasot

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:25 PM

They feel cheap because they are loose made...which is why it can be ran over droped banged against a tree and then still fire...

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:41 PM

I know ARs are top notch and I dont believe anything I hear in a gun shop. I was just in there looking at AKs. Ive had an AR and I liked it I just want to make sure its worth getting a $800 AR vs. say a $600 AK???

Posted By: fgdn

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08

thats what i was thinking,

duel popcorn

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:47 PM

I want truth not opinions!! Experiences a plus, I really just want the truth about the 2 guns. I know ARs are great guns Im just wondering if its worth it to save $200 and get a AK. Mainly going to be used for punching holes in paper and BSing at the ranch.

Posted By: justwes

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 03:55 PM

My $450 Romanian SAR-1 was a pretty good gun

Posted By: JWP58

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:00 PM

Add about 3-400 dollars, and you'll get a great product either way you go.

Both are great weapons. You cant go wrong with either one, provided you buy quality.

Buy junk, get junk performance.

Posted By: Brownwood

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:03 PM

I have shot both platforms extensively for fun and for real. I personally prfer the AK platform. Easier maintenance and accurate enough, although I upgrade my AK sights to receiver apertur sights. For BSing at the ranch, go with the AK in 7.62X39 or a properly barrelled 5.45X39, ammo is cheaper. If you want tight groups, go with the AR and modify it for accuracy. Here's my experience with AKs. All of mine are converted Saigas, so they are good Russian stamped receiver guns (not milled). My two 5.56s shoot 2" MOA with a 3X9 scope and about 3.5 with a peep sight (thats as good as I can shoot these days). My 5.45X39 with a 7X scope will do about 1.5 with good Hornady VMax ammo if I do my part. My 7.62X39 with a 4X POSP scope will do 1.5 at 75 yards with VMax ammo and is murder on hogs. My untouched M4 style AR will do 1.5 or a little better at 100 with a 3X9X40 scope. Im sure I could get 1 moa with some work. Entry level AKS in the $400 range will probably not shoot as well as my Saigas. Hope that helps.

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:13 PM

Here you go: 6 pages worth of discussion, it should be the end all

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:14 PM

Oops, forgot to mention, my 308 Saiga, with a trigger job will shoot 1.5 MOA with an 8X posp scope. Working on getting true MOA accuracy out of that one.

Posted By: safdm44

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:23 PM

do what is in your budget.... budget minded is the way to go.. If you like the accuracy of the AR platform then build the AR slowly over time. Plus you could possible order another upper with a different caliber. I am currently building an AR in 7.62x39 and with the lower I found plus the completed upper it is roughly 650... basic run of the mil AR. later I can buy another upper if i want. Good luck!

Posted By: gbeard

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:36 PM

Get both! They are both fun to shoot. IMO though an AR 15 is a better rifle than an AK (in terms of reliabiliy, versatility, and accuracy).

Posted By: bjones2571

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 04:50 PM

Originally Posted By: safdm44
do what is in your budget.... budget minded is the way to go.. If you like the accuracy of the AR platform then build the AR slowly over time. Plus you could possible order another upper with a different caliber. I am currently building an AR in 7.62x39 and with the lower I found plus the completed upper it is roughly 650... basic run of the mil AR. later I can buy another upper if i want. Good luck!

This. Prices on entry, and even a bit higher, level AR's have come down a lot. Palmetto State Armory has several rifle kits available which will get you into a pretty nice AR for around $600. That's hard to beat. IMHO.

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 05:32 PM

Ive seen Saigas in 5.56, 7.62X39 and 5.45X39 for $299 lately. I just got one for $316 all in. 100 bucks to convert it and you have an accurate AK for low $400s. Then buy an AR!

Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08

This.

AR wins in scope mounting, accuracy, nightvision, suppression, range etc, etc.

Durability, is an old worn out broken Vietnam tale. A premium AR will run, and run and run without cleaning. Our M16 ran 1500ish suppressed rounds before it started to act up. And suppressors add 3 times the gunk to a gun.

A real AK (full auto) is a whole different animal, but in semi auto form the AR wins every category.

Edit: I own 4 ak's as well, a mak90, NHM91, Saiga 12 and a PSL. They are great guns, but sit in the safe. The AR's comes out to hunt, compete etc.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 06:54 PM

You say you've had an AR so buy a AK
IF you don't like it trade towards an AR.

Posted By: Brandon972

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 08:37 PM

anyone remember my 1k yard bb gun ? thats what I prefer if the SHTF !! peep

Posted By: Driller

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Brandon972

I want one that's full auto!!

Posted By: JCB

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Driller

The State Fair has them. grin They are a blast!!!! I dont even try to win anything....... I just hold the trigger down and smile! happy3

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Driller

I use to have one of them Russian full auto bb guns. They were fun for about 2 hours... roflmao

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 11:05 PM

Page 2

Posted By: KC

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 11:11 PM

I'm still on pg 1, and Hi Point is where it's at!

Posted By: Omaney

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 11:39 PM

Y'all hear about that pit bull attack???

Posted By: fishsing

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/05/11 11:52 PM

I too have both, so I'll put my 2 cents in. AK was first cause it was cheaper. For accessories you can't beat the AR platform. For strapping onto the 4 wheeler/truck gun you can't beat the AK, or an SKS for that matter. I use all three, but the AK is go to for "bangin" around the farm. No worries about scratches bumps etc. I put a good folder on it and some surplus plastic as well as a red dot, and buy ammo by the k when on sale.

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/06/11 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Omaney
Y'all hear about that pit bull attack???

Quit trying to lchange the subject ! roflmao

Posted By: Omaney

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/06/11 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: DeerSlayer31
Are AKs worth the money when you can spend another $200 for an entry level AR??? I want a gun thats fun to shoot but also accurate and dependable. What are everyones thoughts???

$800 Spike's

I had an AK74 clone (WASR2), It was fun and dependable. 5.45x39.5 ammo is still pretty cheap. The rifle was not AR accurate.

Posted By: KC

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/06/11 12:58 AM

I've never worried about scratching or bumping an AR. I'm not worried about scratching or bumping my 4 wheeler or my truck, and both cost considerably more than the rifle. I'm nice to my wood stock guns but my AR is just a really expensive hammer to whack pigs with, and I treat it accordingly.

Posted By:

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/06/11 01:32 AM

Originally Posted By: KC
and Hi Point is where it's at!

Why buy one? Just wait for the next time a tornado hits a trailer park....then you can have all you want for free.

Chupa

Posted By: Vern1

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/06/11 01:48 AM

Greetings,
I own an old AK in 7.62x39 and a Carbon 15 AR in .223.
I like the 7.62x39 and want an AR in that caliber cause I have spam cans full of ammo and it works well on hogs at the distances I shoot most.
Just don't think the Carbon lower will hold up to the 7.62x39 upper so I'm shopping....

The AR is accurate and feather light so it's my walk and stalk gun and gets the nod when I know I may have longer shots or intend to walk a lot and will probably keep it forever just because.
The AK is about a 3 MOA gun but is has been shot, abused and thrown in various vehicles, it even has some untreated rust spots on it but the bore and action is clean and good and I only gave 200.00 for it years ago!
The AK is a fun gun that has shot lots and lots of ferals up to 100 yards and it does that well and not as sensitive to where I shoot them.
When I get an AR together in 7.62x39, I still will probably not sell the AK.

Merely my opinion but I like guns and if it goes boom when you pull the trigger and meets my expectations set forth for that particular gun, I'm in.

Posted By: jroberts1968

Re: AR vs. AK - 10/27/11 04:13 PM

Both rifles are considered BATTLE Rifles or CARBINES. They Both are designed for 300 meter engagements (yes the AR will reach out a touch some one @ 600 meters with the rite guy pulling the trigger) Both have there ups and downs. I have been building both platforms for a few years personally and professionally. Lets take a 5.45 vs 5.56 for this task both will hit a 14" target at 300 meters with a beginner and 1-4 hrs of trigger time. Both currently will accept rails lights and the new IPAD holder (coming soon for X-Mas 2011) Ak can be fitted with upgrades to make ergonomically correct for almost any shooter. For me and shooting both for many years I would have to say it comes down to maintenance. Due to The DI system,the AR is more finicky and requires 50-60% more maintenance then an AK platform rifle. This is common knowledge and is not argued any more. DI dumps carbon and hot gases in to the BCG and the mag well (you don't sh%it were you eat) the AR does this, and that is why you have seen a prolific progression to a SSGS (short stroke gas system) "The AR is PROM QUEEN & the AK is a BIKER CHIC".
Now I have watched torch-er test of a DPMS shooting 2500 rounds and keep going with muti shooters trading off and mags ready to go. They did however continuously lube the rifle via ejection port. The AR has served us well for over 40+ years and will continue in that roll for some time to come. What ever you pic enjoy it and shoot it and stay safe.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum