texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Ags4TheNatty, breezelow, EliteTraining, durowrx, Bob White
72248 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,827
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,790
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
Stub 44,583
rifleman 44,461
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics540,863
Posts9,767,824
Members87,248
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Tacticam or Cuddelink #9073959 07/10/24 03:09 AM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
I'm looking at finally ditching the two POS spypoints that are still hanging on and getting a couple of good cameras. I know that the Tacticam comes highly recommended, and I am looking at that one I am looking at the ones that have the built in solar panel. I am also interested in the Cuddelink. Looks like 3 cuddelinks would run me about $500, and 3 tacticams would run me $537. Pros on the cuddelink is that I would only need 1 cell subscription for up to 15 cameras, whereas I would need a separate subscription for each tacticam. Pros on the tacticam is that it comes with a solar panel already, whereas I would need to constantly replace batteries or buy separate solar panels for the cuddelinks.

Questions for those of you that have the tacticams or cuddelinks:

How long do the batteries last on the cuddelinks?

Realistically, how far is the range for the cuddelinks?

How much are the subscriptions for the tacticams and cudddelinks?


http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9073995 07/10/24 11:58 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 25,781
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 25,781
Call Tacticam and ask them about that camera with the attached solar panel and where you're going to use it. I remember something that they didn't recommend it for high traffic areas (like a hill country deer feeder). I run 4 Tacticams right now, Reveal X and Reveal X Gen. 2. Two have external solar panels. Even though they sell packages with the external solar panel AND their lithium battery insert, I could swear the lady at Tacticam told me to just use regular batteries with the solar. Regular batteries are just a backup and the solar panel doesn't attempt to charge them. With fairly frequent pictures sent, I'm pleasantly surprised how long the regular batteries last without a solar panel. In the summer they're on pig traps with a feeder going off once at night, so they don't get quite as much traffic as a deer feeder going off twice a day.

Subscription plans are $100.00 a pop annually, with a few bucks off (like 4.00) starting with your second one.


...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074030 07/10/24 01:07 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,212
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,212
i have 4 tacticam sk's running right now. you can pm me your phone number and i can send you pics and answer anything you wanna know. in a nut shell though, i really like them

Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074093 07/10/24 02:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,545
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,545
I had the Solar panels for my Cuddelinks, batteries never ran down. They link together very well. I tested mine and was like 400 yards away and still had a good signal to the home unit. My home unit was not a camera, just a receiver of the pic's mounted to my stand. I would pull the card from there and not have to go into the bedding area where the camera was. [Linked Image]


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9074138 07/10/24 04:14 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I had the Solar panels for my Cuddelinks, batteries never ran down. They link together very well. I tested mine and was like 400 yards away and still had a good signal to the home unit. My home unit was not a camera, just a receiver of the pic's mounted to my stand. I would pull the card from there and not have to go into the bedding area where the camera was. [Linked Image]

How far away are your cameras, and are the blocked by trees at all? Where I plan to space the cameras out, there is one spot that is about 325 yards with heavy woods between and in another, they are going to be 450 yards apart with some trees between.


http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074157 07/10/24 05:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,545
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,545
When tested it was 400 yards to the receiver that was elevated as you can see here. It's a signal like what an old school walkie talkie uses so the trees shouldn't matter, just the distance that you're on the edge of it's capability. They should work. You acquire the signal and it tells you the strength. Get in this mode at about 300 yards and talk off walking with it and watch your signal strength. I connected mine as I was standing next to the receiver and took off on the Ranger. I never got below about 90 as I recall. I then went back to my set up which was 150 yards away from the receiver and set up the camera. These are well built, very durable and with solar you're good forever.

I now have cell coverage at my set up. When I bought this set up I did not and had no way to get pic's without going into my set up, which I don't like to do. I sold them recently.


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074175 07/10/24 05:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 11,103
T
Texas buckeye Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 11,103
I had a system of cuddes for about 2-3 years, out all the time and solar panels and/or boxes with solar attached and that was fine. They connected well and sent pics thru cell signal.

Where I ran into trouble is the cameras would just stop working, and by the end of 2-3 years, I had all but the home base unit dead. Around 8 cameras as I replaced the first couple but even the replacements ended up dying within a "short" period of a year or two. No obvious issues with damage or anything, just wouldn't turn on or get any power to the unit from battery or plug. Every one ended up with the same fate, garbage dumpster.

Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9074191 07/10/24 06:31 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
When tested it was 400 yards to the receiver that was elevated as you can see here. It's a signal like what an old school walkie talkie uses so the trees shouldn't matter, just the distance that you're on the edge of it's capability. They should work. You acquire the signal and it tells you the strength. Get in this mode at about 300 yards and talk off walking with it and watch your signal strength. I connected mine as I was standing next to the receiver and took off on the Ranger. I never got below about 90 as I recall. I then went back to my set up which was 150 yards away from the receiver and set up the camera. These are well built, very durable and with solar you're good forever.

I now have cell coverage at my set up. When I bought this set up I did not and had no way to get pic's without going into my set up, which I don't like to do. I sold them recently.

How long did you have your's?


http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074237 07/10/24 08:34 PM
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 268
T
TXHunter0619 Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
T
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 268
I'm running a tacticam reveal XB and a stealth game cam at my current lease. I have had nothing but trouble with the tacticam so far. First the solar panel wouldn't stay plugged in, on mine it does not thread into the camera so it was pretty much useless without batteries. Then I started getting WAY too many pictures of nothing. I spoke with tacticam and they said the photo sensor was picking up the grass. Well with the rain we've had the grass has grown tall, not much I can do about that. Have had zero issues with my stealth cam.

Next, I'll say that for roughly the same price about $120/year on plans. You get unlimited photos, but Tacticam only sends one of each burst and then stores the others locally on your SD card. Doesn't work great because the first photo that triggers the camera isn't often the best one you'll get of a deer. Stealth sends all photos from each burst which is another win on that front. Additionally, Tacticam wants to charge you for every additional detail. ex. photo on demand, hi-res photo. etc. Stealth cam includes these features. I have found that after a big storm I like to request a photo on demand just to make sure the camera is still running if the deer are bedded for a while, it's a handy feature.

Lastly, the cameras are both roughly facing the same direction in different areas of the property. I find that both night and day photos are far better on the stealth cam than the tacticam which usually gives me blurry shots even with the sensitivity setting on to reduce blur.

I know you didn't necessarily ask about the stealth cams, but figured it might help at least provide some contrast for the tacticam...I probably wouldn't buy another. Good luck.


tough times don't last, tough people do
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: TXHunter0619] #9074242 07/10/24 08:39 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
U
unclebubba Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
U
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 10,188
Originally Posted by TXHunter0619
I'm running a tacticam reveal XB and a stealth game cam at my current lease. I have had nothing but trouble with the tacticam so far. First the solar panel wouldn't stay plugged in, on mine it does not thread into the camera so it was pretty much useless without batteries. Then I started getting WAY too many pictures of nothing. I spoke with tacticam and they said the photo sensor was picking up the grass. Well with the rain we've had the grass has grown tall, not much I can do about that. Have had zero issues with my stealth cam.

Next, I'll say that for roughly the same price about $120/year on plans. You get unlimited photos, but Tacticam only sends one of each burst and then stores the others locally on your SD card. Doesn't work great because the first photo that triggers the camera isn't often the best one you'll get of a deer. Stealth sends all photos from each burst which is another win on that front. Additionally, Tacticam wants to charge you for every additional detail. ex. photo on demand, hi-res photo. etc. Stealth cam includes these features. I have found that after a big storm I like to request a photo on demand just to make sure the camera is still running if the deer are bedded for a while, it's a handy feature.

Lastly, the cameras are both roughly facing the same direction in different areas of the property. I find that both night and day photos are far better on the stealth cam than the tacticam which usually gives me blurry shots even with the sensitivity setting on to reduce blur.

I know you didn't necessarily ask about the stealth cams, but figured it might help at least provide some contrast for the tacticam...I probably wouldn't buy another. Good luck.

I had not asked about the stealth because it had never popped up on my radar as a recommended setup. How much is the stealth subscription?


http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074245 07/10/24 08:50 PM
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,545
onlysmith&wesson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,545
3 years


An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: TXHunter0619] #9074387 07/11/24 01:38 AM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,212
C
cleatas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,212
Originally Posted by TXHunter0619
I'm running a tacticam reveal XB and a stealth game cam at my current lease. I have had nothing but trouble with the tacticam so far. First the solar panel wouldn't stay plugged in, on mine it does not thread into the camera so it was pretty much useless without batteries. Then I started getting WAY too many pictures of nothing. I spoke with tacticam and they said the photo sensor was picking up the grass. Well with the rain we've had the grass has grown tall, not much I can do about that. Have had zero issues with my stealth cam.

Next, I'll say that for roughly the same price about $120/year on plans. You get unlimited photos, but Tacticam only sends one of each burst and then stores the others locally on your SD card. Doesn't work great because the first photo that triggers the camera isn't often the best one you'll get of a deer. Stealth sends all photos from each burst which is another win on that front. Additionally, Tacticam wants to charge you for every additional detail. ex. photo on demand, hi-res photo. etc. Stealth cam includes these features. I have found that after a big storm I like to request a photo on demand just to make sure the camera is still running if the deer are bedded for a while, it's a handy feature.

Lastly, the cameras are both roughly facing the same direction in different areas of the property. I find that both night and day photos are far better on the stealth cam than the tacticam which usually gives me blurry shots even with the sensitivity setting on to reduce blur.

I know you didn't necessarily ask about the stealth cams, but figured it might help at least provide some contrast for the tacticam...I probably wouldn't buy another. Good luck.



Crazy how people can have so much of a different opinion. I love my tactacams and I don’t use the “burst” feature. I’ve never had a blurry pic yet and they stay fully charged. Night pics are the best I could ask for and the app has a lot of options to choose what best fits your needs.

Re: Tacticam or Cuddelink [Re: unclebubba] #9074564 07/11/24 03:29 PM
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 268
T
TXHunter0619 Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
T
Joined: Apr 2021
Posts: 268
The plan is $120/year. Seem to get a lot of extra features like the on demand that you don’t get with tactacam.

Cleatas - it could be my model I know there are better versions but the XB I have has been a pia to manage.


tough times don't last, tough people do
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3