texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
SgtMalone2, 903 Bow hunter, Ags4TheNatty, breezelow, EliteTraining
72250 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,827
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,805
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
Stub 44,586
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics540,893
Posts9,768,321
Members87,250
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
GPS Collars #9072220 07/06/24 02:53 AM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
After having our Viszla get out of our very well fenced yard last night I need recommendations for a GPS collar. I have no idea how she escaped and after the vet bill we just went through I need something in case she gets out again since I have no idea how she got out. Not needing a training collar just something that can locate her if she breaks loose. Thanks.

Last edited by krmitchell; 07/06/24 03:04 AM.
Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072314 07/06/24 02:08 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 17,321
6
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 17,321
Can’t help on the tracking, but you’ll probably need a Hotwire on top and bottom of fence. If there’s no place she dug out, then she went over the top. I had a shorthair that used to do the same, she was a climber. The hot wire at the top was the remedy.



Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072324 07/06/24 02:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,110
S
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
S
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 21,110
The problem you will have with a tracking collar is battery life and range of the handheld. I am lucky if my Garmin collar lasts 2 or 3 days and the handheld a day. My Vizsla was climbing and jumping a fence to get into my tomato plants this spring and smart enough to know when I was watching. I used an electric fence wire across the top of the fence. Two hits, she was done trying. Took the wire down and she has never tried again. You could also look into a "hidden fence" setup.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: 68rustbucket] #9072325 07/06/24 02:23 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Can’t help on the tracking, but you’ll probably need a Hotwire on top and bottom of fence. If there’s no place she dug out, then she went over the top. I had a shorthair that used to do the same, she was a climber. The hot wire at the top was the remedy.


That’s what I thought but I’m hard pressed to believe a 5 month old puppy cleared a 6 foot fence but anything is possible I guess. Was hoping to not do an electric fence due to the length of the run I’d have to do.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: Sniper John] #9072328 07/06/24 02:25 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
Originally Posted by Sniper John
The problem you will have with a tracking collar is battery life and range of the handheld. I am lucky if my Garmin collar lasts 2 or 3 days and the handheld a day. My Vizsla was climbing and jumping a fence to get into my tomato plants this spring and smart enough to know when I was watching. I used an electric fence wire across the top of the fence. Two hits, she was done trying. Took the wire down and she has never tried again. You could also look into a "hidden fence" setup.


I’m less concerned about the battery life so even if it needs to be charged every other day I’m fine with that. We take her collar off in the crate each night anyway.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072330 07/06/24 02:32 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 17,321
6
68rustbucket Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 17,321
I think there are some GPS collars that sync to your smartphone.



Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072357 07/06/24 03:09 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 111
R
reprobate Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
R
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 111
I would try a blue tooth gps tracker like you use for keys etc, In the past I have put climbing dogs on cable. The tracker is more commonly called an air tag.

Last edited by reprobate; 07/06/24 03:40 PM.
Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072413 07/06/24 05:28 PM
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 703
J
JTS Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
J
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 703
I used a Fi tracker for my shorthair it worked fine and needed to be charged once a week or so. An airtag sounds good but it only works if the dog is within bluetooth range of an iphone. I live out outside of town and would find my dog 2-3 miles away sometimes.

Fi gps

Re: GPS Collars [Re: reprobate] #9072422 07/06/24 05:44 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
Originally Posted by reprobate
I would try a blue tooth gps tracker like you use for keys etc, In the past I have put climbing dogs on cable. The tracker is more commonly called an air tag.


I looked at those but where she went the other night was straight into the woods away from anything to ping the AirTag.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: JTS] #9072423 07/06/24 05:45 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
Originally Posted by JTS
I used a Fi tracker for my shorthair it worked fine and needed to be charged once a week or so. An airtag sounds good but it only works if the dog is within bluetooth range of an iphone. I live out outside of town and would find my dog 2-3 miles away sometimes.

Fi gps


I’ve been looking at these this morning. Seems like the best middle of the road option.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072468 07/06/24 08:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 483
M
Mundo Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
M
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 483
Garmin is the really the best system but it is going to set u back big bucks .. they make a collar for field trailers w/o correction but I wouldn’t get it because u will eventually need the training ability. I’d recommend the 550 plus because of ease of use. Be aware the dog can’t wear the collar all the tine because the contacts will eventually irritate skin. Garmin does have a new collar that can show location on a cell phone but I would opt for one with correction. Don’t buy the mini collar the range and battery life are not as long as the larger collars. A training collar with gps seems like a big expense but it will save you a lot anxiety

Last edited by Mundo; 07/06/24 08:24 PM.
Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072537 07/06/24 10:57 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 173
L
Lalo Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
L
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 173
I would second what others have said, that if you consider a tracking collar, you should consider training, too. Like tone recall. Maybe you know this, but you can have the collar make a tone and then train the dog to understand that tone means to run back to you ... or else.
But I also wonder...If this dog is such a good escape artist, should you be considering something completely different, like a long kennel run with a fence roof a dog can't get out of?

Re: GPS Collars [Re: Lalo] #9072598 07/07/24 02:14 AM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
K
krmitchell Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
K
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 4,709
Originally Posted by Lalo
I would second what others have said, that if you consider a tracking collar, you should consider training, too. Like tone recall. Maybe you know this, but you can have the collar make a tone and then train the dog to understand that tone means to run back to you ... or else.
But I also wonder...If this dog is such a good escape artist, should you be considering something completely different, like a long kennel run with a fence roof a dog can't get out of?


After walking the fence a few times the only thing I can think happened is that she was small enough still to bend the metal fencing and slip through the bars (even at 35 lbs). They aren’t very flexible but maybe enough for a puppy to slip through in a panic. I can’t imagine she jumped because she isn’t big enough and she didn’t dig. Hopeful that in another month or two her head/shoulders are big enough she can’t get through again but gps would at least let me track her down.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072844 07/07/24 08:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,512
R
RayB Offline
red bone Bob
Offline
red bone Bob
R
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,512
https://tractive.com/

Seen this advertised on the tube


There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9072910 07/07/24 10:33 PM
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,326
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,326
Get a kennel.

Re: GPS Collars [Re: krmitchell] #9073237 07/08/24 06:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 66
J
Jim B Offline
Outdoorsman
Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 66
I have a female Brittany than can climb a 6 ft fence faster than I can climb a 6 ft step ladder. had to put a top on her kennel


Jim
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3