Print Thread
When to put out a feeder #9043606 05/06/24 02:46 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
We got access to hunt a 20 acre plot in Collin County and I'm wondering when to put a feeder out to see what kind of population is out there? The actual 20 acres isn't very wooded, but it's surrounded by woods for the most part. Last time it was hunted was around 5-10 years ago. I've already crossed my T's and dotted my I's to make sure this plot is legal to hunt and it is so we'll be hunting from an elevated stand shooting down into a bottom to ensure the bullet does not leave the property line. Would y'all put it out closer to deer season, around September?

You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! -Davy Crocket
This is duck hunting...shirts and shoes are optional
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043632 05/06/24 03:05 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
personally, I would put out a feeder as soon as I could, even if only spinning a little corn to get them used to the sound of the dinner bell. They will find it shortly.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043647 05/06/24 03:27 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
As soon as you can & run it year round.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043748 05/06/24 06:05 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
A new place! Definitely, put up a feeder or two as soon as you can.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043753 05/06/24 06:07 PM
D
diablodog Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
D
I agree with the above , with a small place you need to get them used to coming to you . I have a much larger place and I run mine year run and the close neighbors only start in the fall . It seems like all the local deer live on my place in the spring and summer . The does take up residence and bring in the bucks in the season .

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043758 05/06/24 06:13 PM
M
Marshal Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Are bullets welcome in Collin County this next season? I thought it was archery only.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: Marshal] #9043759 05/06/24 06:15 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Marshal
Are bullets welcome in Collin County this next season? I thought it was archery only.

I'm curious to see if y'all have heard different things. When I spoke with TPWD I specifically told them we'd be rifle hunting and they said that was fine. Now you're making me wonder if the person I talked too wasn't educated on that part.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043760 05/06/24 06:20 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by B Razorback

I'm curious to see if y'all have heard different things. When I spoke with TPWD I specifically told them we'd be rifle hunting and they said that was fine. Now you're making me wonder if the person I talked too wasn't educated on that part.

Took about 30 seconds of research to realize they were uneducated on that part. Archery only per the website. This should be interesting as the last thing I want is a deer running on to a neighbors property... I archery hunt already, but I'm really going to have to practice so I can make a really clean shot.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043777 05/06/24 06:58 PM
M
Marshal Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

Took about 30 seconds of research to realize they were uneducated on that part. Archery only per the website. This should be interesting as the last thing I want is a deer running on to a neighbors property... I archery hunt already, but I'm really going to have to practice so I can make a really clean shot.

Make friends with your neighbors. They should be good with it if they've lived there long enough. Good luck. Hopefully you'll get a shot at one of the monsters we see coming out of there.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043791 05/06/24 07:37 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
We'll probably be out there in two weeks to put a feeder out. Curious to see what's out there.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9043879 05/06/24 09:52 PM
M
mdwest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
We run our feeders year round..

right now while there is plenty of clover and other food available, we only throw corn twice a day for just 3 seconds.. just enough to keep them coming around and interested in the fields where our blinds are set up..

around Labor Day we refill all of our feeders, and adjust to throwing corn 3x daily (first light, about 1 hour before last light, and mid day), for about 5 seconds each and then dont go near the feeders again unless one of them is jammed up, has run out of corn, or unless we have shot something, until the end of the season..

we continue to throw 3x daily through the winter just to give the deer (and everything else that comes in to eat lol) supplemental food.. but as soon as spring hits we drop things back down to 2x daily for just a few seconds..

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044179 05/07/24 05:54 PM
B
Booner1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I would put up your feeder as soon as possible but remember, if you happen to find game trails, don't put your feeder right on the trail. Put it in a area off to the side of the trail, that way the deer won't skirt around the area. Also you may want to put up some trail cameras on any game trails that you might find but again, not right oh the trail, just off to the side. Hand toss some corn 10 or 15 yards in front of the trail cams and see what happens. A lot of times, your larger bucks won't come to a feeder but they will hit feed that is hand tossed at random locations. Also when you set your feeder or feeders, take into consideration the predominant wind directions, as it will be critical for stand placement. The ideal scenario is to set your stand or stands near a travel route to and from the feeder to bedding areas. JMO for what it is worth but definitely needs some consideration to maximize you chances at a successful harvest.

Born to hunt and fish.
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044180 05/07/24 05:56 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Yesterday when the place was yours to hunt....

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044189 05/07/24 06:20 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
I highly doubt there are game trails in that area as I'm expecting this feeder to attract the deer to this property. We're going out there in two weeks to check things out like where we're going to put a feeder and where we're going to hang a stand. There's a creek that flows right through the property but like I said in the earlier post, this isn't a very wooded property. It's mostly everything around it that is. I have a feeling the best place to hang a stand will be south of the feeder for this location.

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044192 05/07/24 06:23 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Yesterday, but it's not too late.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044576 05/08/24 02:35 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
I'm not sure now's a good time. With all that green in the pasture, they really don't come to the feeders very much. laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044579 05/08/24 02:43 PM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I'm probably not a good example, would be frowned on by most. I never even start until September. But then I've hunted the same 100 acres for 17 years. I pull in deer from the land surrounding me and they are used to coming to my feeders. As I've taken nice 10 pointers the last 2 years running I think it's working for me anyways.

Last edited by Earl; 05/08/24 02:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044588 05/08/24 03:13 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
I prefer to get a feeder out as early as possible, and we run them year round on our place in Navarro County. That said, I have put a feeder out and hunted it within 24 hours with success before.

I'd bet that if you walked the land and did some scouting, you'd be surprised at how many game trails you find. Focus on pinch points. Look for creek crossings.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9044613 05/08/24 04:02 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Yesterday, but it's not too late.

x2

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9044623 05/08/24 04:11 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Razor, good luck with "practice so I can make a really clean shot". From what I know you can make a perfect shot and still have a deer exit a 20 acre pasture. Then factor in a perfect shot is very unrealistic. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but I would just suggest you have a plan if a wounded deer leaves your pasture. Also, a heavier arrow/broad head setup some say will kill them a little quicker.
Good news is some on here will disagree with me so the thread may go on forever(like some wounded deer.)
Seriously, good luck, and keep eating that sourdough....

Last edited by freerange; 05/08/24 04:13 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: freerange] #9044636 05/08/24 04:40 PM
B
B Razorback Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
Originally Posted by freerange

Razor, good luck with "practice so I can make a really clean shot". From what I know you can make a perfect shot and still have a deer exit a 20 acre pasture. Then factor in a perfect shot is very unrealistic. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but I would just suggest you have a plan if a wounded deer leaves your pasture. Also, a heavier arrow/broad head setup some say will kill them a little quicker.
Good news is some on here will disagree with me so the thread may go on forever(like some wounded deer.)
Seriously, good luck, and keep eating that sourdough....

I know we're going to have to get lucky. I've had what I thought was a perfect shot deer run way past what would have been a 20 acre pasture. Don't worry about the sourdough... I'm about to make lunch with it right now lol

Re: When to put out a feeder [Re: B Razorback] #9047163 05/14/24 05:09 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
theres two different scenarios on this. 20 acres isnt alot. if the deer are using this 20 acres as a bedding area or to keep out of site, adding a feeder now may push them out. If not bedding you need to get them there on an routine basis. Last year we hunted family land that has been minimally hunted on one end. On the opposite end (that hasnt been hunted for 10 years) the deer were using it as a bedding area. Put a feeder up 2 weeks before gun opener. Had a couple doe that would visit it a couple times a day. But the bucks were caught on camera just moving through, not really eating corn. Opening day caught a nice one making his way through and was able to harvest him. After that the doe population increased by a small amount. Caught maybe 2 different bucks moving through. After three to four weeks the bucks were completly gone. I am planning on doing the same thing this year. Only difference is the feeder is already there. There's just no corn in it. Will fill it up middle of october and hope for the best.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide