Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: JTPinTX] #8860653 05/31/23 07:14 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Well after a couple weeks of almost no damage to our peanut fields we decided pig numbers were way down and let our guard down. Had plants pushing up with seed leaves on, we should have been good to go. Came out to start spraying today and found out we got hammered over the weekend. Time for me to get out my HAM'R and hit back. We will be out tonight to see if we can catch them on two different fields. May be a lot of walking in plowed sand to get on them, or we may get lucky and catch them along the road. They are coming in from several directions.

Just a couple of the multiple spots of damage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

What a shame. mad

[Linked Image]
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860762 05/31/23 02:04 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Kry226, tell me about it. What is bad is that most of the plants are up, but a few aren't. They are rooting up 5-10 sprouts just to find the one nut that isn't up yet. But they paid for it last night. Doubt they will be back for a few days.

Stalked a sounder of about 20 pigs last night. Moon was really bright and we got a little greedy, tried to get too close and got busted. Had to start shooting with them on the move. We still hammered them pretty hard though. Lots of littles got away but the 3 biggest sows took the dirt nap out in the field. 2 more decent sows made it out of the field but they were hit pretty hard and struggling. I doubt they will make it. 3 Big sows went from probably 175-210 or so on weight. For sure got some big baby factories taken out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860769 05/31/23 02:15 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I can really appreciate how you guys who try to grow stuff feel about pigs and I understand why you'd like to eradicate them. I'd be kinda bummed if they all disappeared, though. I enjoy shooting them.

It's been a few weeks and I need to get back out there!

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860800 05/31/23 03:28 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Well the good news for those who like to hunt them is that eradication is never gonna happen, not even close, lol. Not without poison. And I'll be honest about it. I love going out and shooting them too. Just wish we didn't have to have the crop damage to go with it. But that is part of it.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860835 05/31/23 05:13 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I guess they could eradicate them if there was a way to mitigate all the collateral damage to all the desirable wildlife out there, but they won't because there isn't. One thing about your perspective and motivations---killing hogs probably gives you much more satisfaction than I get (and I'm not complaining at all!).

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out as the summer wears on. This has been an interesting discussion.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860876 05/31/23 06:44 PM
J
JTPinTX Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Well, sitting and talking with my main pig killing compadre last night while we were waiting on pigs, several topics were discussed. He is a big farmer and rancher, has lots of places scattered over 2 counties. Also like me, he has a degree in Wildlife Biology, and is very interested in the status of various wildlife species and keeps up with habitat issues. He is a very smart and observant guy who has been farming around here his whole life. He sees the cycles come and go and has a very broad perspective from both the education/biology side, and from the practical/hands on side since he deals with his own crop damage all the time. He helps me on my places, I help him on his.

Anyways. We both agree total numbers are down. Still plenty of pigs around but not what they were 2-3 years ago. My theory is quite a bit of it is rooted in compensatory reproduction. Pig numbers were high, then drought, hard winters, and in our area in particular the last 12-14 months the crops our pigs feed on were in very short supply due to crop prices and the corresponding crop rotations involved there. Basically population was up and resources went down so litter size and survivability went down as well. Plus with the reduction in cover the pigs that were here got hammered by thermal and aerial gunning. In addition to that the areas that did have the resources, the pigs migrated there. Which is another reason lots of folks are saying no pigs, but others are saying we have as many as ever.

In regards to that conversation he said the last couple of weeks he is all of a sudden seeing pig tracks everywhere. Not always lots of tracks, not necessarily big groups of pigs (though some are), but seeing at least some tracks on every one of his places. Places where he has not been seeing any sign at all the last 6-12 months. Up here we have gone from a pretty hard drought to being very, very wet in the space of about 4 weeks. All of a sudden we have water everywhere that is staying around and not drying up. Tons of cover. Lots of food. It has created the perfect opportunity for pig dispersal and spreading back out. Our theory is that the next 12-18 months as we come into the La Nina that there is going to be a pig explosion. As the pigs spread back out into their old territories which once again have plenty of resources litter sizes will go back up. There may not be as many big pigs but I bet 12 months from now there are going to lots of smaller to mid size pigs.

If I'm wrong y'all can come back then and tell me I was full of it. Which I might be, lol. Would not be the first time.

Oh, and as far as getting the satisfaction about killing them. I know one thing, that from my perspective I have no remorse about killing any and all of them I can. Littles, bigs, sows, boars, whatever. I don't hate them. It is just a problem to be worked in a methodical manner. The big baby factories always take priority. Even over nice big boars. I do hunt big boars for fun. I like it. It is a rush. But in a field full of pigs the big sows get hit first. Every time.

Last edited by JTPinTX; 05/31/23 06:51 PM.
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860893 05/31/23 07:34 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Well I camped out, fished all weekend, three days straight. Found new hog sign almost everywhere I looked. The corn is up and the creek is almost at normal level. Might shoot a couple if luck is with me.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8860974 05/31/23 10:03 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Great job hammering those sows!

[Linked Image]
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8878904 07/07/23 01:47 AM
S
Sick Train Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
After about 6 months of not seeing hogs I finally have some back. Time to head out there and take some out.

Attached Files IMG_1130.jpegIMG_1131.jpegIMG_1132.jpeg
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8881567 07/13/23 12:32 AM
D
DavidK Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
All of my hog hunting buddies and I are having a tough time finding hogs up in the NE (Bowie, Lamar and Red River counties) now and it seems the population has been in decline for the past 2 years. I'm blaming a lot of it on a local guy who does lots of helicopter shooting as well as lots more hunters now having thermal.

Also the hogs I do find are now completely nocturnal (I probably don't see more than one group of hogs per month during daylight hours now) and MUCH more wary than they were a couple years ago.

Is anyone else seeing this trend?

Yup, sparse in west Texas, I feel your pain

Wilson Combat Pro Staff
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8881582 07/13/23 01:01 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C
Kamps, is that you?

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8881869 07/13/23 06:39 PM
L
lmd59 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
They've all moved to my place. The travels of these wild hogs comes and goes. Sometimes I'm loaded with them, sometimes it's hard to find them.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide