Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What are some good defensive pistol drills? #8854668 05/19/23 01:31 PM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Our law enforcement pool and competitive pistol shooter have a wealth of knowledge, and I'd like to hear it.

I'm pretty good with a pistol, but I'd like to get better. I have a couple of 2/3 IPSC steel targets already on hand, and I'm willing to get some more and make stands for them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8854895 05/19/23 09:04 PM
218 Bee Offline
Tracker
Tracker

Three drills that I shoot regularly are the Wizard Drill (to assess CCW competence), the 1-to-5 Drill (for multiple targets and reloading) and the old standby Mozambique drill. Essentially two drills in one: the Moz requires a double tap to center mass followed by a single round to the head. The shift from speed to precision on the clock is a great mental exercise...

I've also got a Texas Star and that's a real hoot shooting a DA wheelgun!

Have fun!

[Linked Image]

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness". - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8854968 05/19/23 11:11 PM
duckhunter175 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Since you put this in optics are you running a dot on your gun?!

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8854969 05/19/23 11:11 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Draw from holster as you would wear the holster, meaning shirt covering it, jacket covering it, etc.

Double tap to chest, then single to head. The single to head is a lot harder then a it sounds when on a shot timer, which I think everybody needs to practice with. Defensive shooting doesn’t require gnats [censored] accuracy.

I’ve started doubles to the chest, double to the groin, single to the head.

Shoot and move to cover. Learn to draw and shoot while seated.

Learn to use your vehicle as cover, don’t jump the vehicle, learn triangulation and distance from the vehicle, it’s amazing what 5-10 feet off your vehicle can do for you.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: duckhunter175] #8854996 05/20/23 12:15 AM
J.G. Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
Since you put this in optics are you running a dot on your gun?!

Just realized I screwed that up.

Just plan on running irons.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: BigPig] #8854999 05/20/23 12:19 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by BigPig

Dayum!

scared

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8855506 05/21/23 02:58 AM
R
Roughneck913 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
I've attached one of my favorite drills below. Its simple, focus on the basics and precision, and is meant to be shot 'cold,' so its a good warm-up for the day. its pretty basic, but adding par times and increasing distance can make it incredibly challenging. It was designed to be run at 3 or 5 yards. running it at 7 or 10 within your personally set par time can be a challenge

https://www.triggerpressers.com/articles/dot-torture-drill/

After that you can get into any number of drills. The biggest thing I tell people is train how you plan to fight- don't practice with an OWB holster if you carry AIWB on a day-to-day basis.

Last edited by Roughneck913; 05/21/23 03:01 AM.
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8855530 05/21/23 03:55 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Irons or dots, shooting at night aint the same

Line it up and give it a go

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: RiverRider] #8855873 05/22/23 01:17 AM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Dayum!

scared

For the body armor wearing guys. Head is a much smaller target than the groin.

[Linked Image]

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: KRoyal] #8862256 06/03/23 09:56 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Dayum!

scared

For the body armor wearing guys. Head is a much smaller target than the groin.

BP just likes to make them pay extra. A Pelvic area hit is usually an ender to a gunfight.

JG get a resettable falling plate rack. great for speed work and a pull to reset makes it better.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8862262 06/03/23 10:03 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I like swinging plates. Never a need to stop and do anything, just keep shooting.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8862763 06/05/23 12:40 AM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Swinging/Spinner plates, Texas star plates, falling plate rack they’ll all make you faster. The falling plate rack is nice with the reset feature. But of course with the swinging/spinning plates they reset themselves and I know you have tons of fire hose lying around.

[Linked Image]

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8862769 06/05/23 12:50 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
They're all fun.

I was shooting falling plates out at the club earlier today, trying to keep a Colt New Frontier in .45 Colt nice and limber. One of the times I hit one it went down, then bounced back up and stayed. That had me laughing.

Never had that happen before.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8865357 06/09/23 09:05 PM
G
glb1955 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Since I have been instructing I have always made sure that the shooter knows how to clear the malfunctions that might take place. You, I am sure know them. I repeat until I and the student are both comfortable with their performance. If sufficient muscle memory is attained, then the shooter will, if faced with a malfunction, will react, clear it without looking at what is going on, and get back into it. One way to know your skills are improving is to be in near total darkness. Have someone load your mag, using dummy rounds is good, and hand it to you with the mag in, not fully engaged, or even not even have a mag in the weapon (this last will surprise some because they might not feel the weight difference). Not being able to see whether it is a failure to feed, fire, eject or extract forces one to be confident in their abilities. 3 rounds in 5 seconds. From the ready position.

I teach 3 reloads; slide locked back, slide forward and tactical. all from the holster. 3 rounds in 10 seconds (and that is kind of slow). Push yourself to go faster and faster until you reach maximum quickness (you start fumbling with your mags and getting the mag into the well. Another Lt., whom was older, pushed himself to 6 seconds and then it was not longer smooth.

After the malfunction drills and the slide locked back reload I have mags loaded fully. The goal is to build muscle memory (I call it the internal counting system). The rule about reloading is that you reload when you FEEL the need to reload (muscle memory).

Multiple target drills using however many you want to torture yourself with. Number and color them. Have someone call out the target to shoot. I do not teach double taps as each shot is .015 of a second. L/E deals with multiple folks on a regular basis. Engage each one and then go back and to whichever target is called with one or multiple shots. Go through all of your mags (well, maybe 3). One shoots to Stop an Action. If you have turning targets that can help with when to stop shooting.

Ad moving and shooting. Shoot while you move laterally or forward/backward. Someone calling this out makes it where you are not in control of where to go. If you have access or can make a moving target that is a huge plus.

I allowed for 600 rounds in my 3 day course (one day classroom and two on the range).

I think that I have covered a good portion of what I taught. If you have a question just ask.

G

Last edited by glb1955; 06/09/23 09:06 PM.
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8880410 07/10/23 04:53 PM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: KRoyal] #8885629 07/20/23 01:46 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Swinging/Spinner plates, Texas star plates, falling plate rack they’ll all make you faster. The falling plate rack is nice with the reset feature. But of course with the swinging/spinning plates they reset themselves and I know you have tons of fire hose lying around.

I shoot a mixture of steel and cardboard 'humanoids'. Just set them up as I like them.

I have my own 'range' (if you can call it that) on my property....so its just me and whoever I invite over.

This lets me arrange targets as I see fit....so allows for a lot of shooting on the move (laterally, at 45°, advancing, retreating, from cover, from a vehicle,etc. But of course I don't 'start' anyone doing that or anything more advanced.

Best to get the basics ingrained first, advance from there. Malfunction drills are an absolute necessity. You'd be surprised how many are clueless as what to do.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My range is a bit over 100 yds. long and the same width....so plenty of room to stretch things out (for fun). Naturally all serious practice is done at normal defensive ranges 3 to 25 yds.

But my Daughter (when home visiting) always likes to end a session with a 'distance' challenge to see who drops out first. Using the pistol of your choice (both of us shooting 1911's in 45 acp) we move back in 10 yard increments shooting at one of the IDPA humanoids. You are allowed two shots from each position but must shoot within 5 seconds (which is forever).

She has gone back as far as 140 yards before dropping out...and that had Her standing in the weeds. Your front sight pretty much covers the entire target at a bit over 100 yds. The least bit of movement will throw you off a LONG way down range.

Older Brother chronographing some loads. Gravel makes it easy to retrieve rifle and pistol brass.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by flintknapper; 07/20/23 01:52 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8885783 07/20/23 01:00 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Nice setup, flintknapper. Makes me jealous!

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8885807 07/20/23 01:51 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
Not to sound like a hillbilly from yesteryear but I'd go out into the country where no one cares if you do some shootings and take along some coffee cans. Usually if you hit the can it will move and the deal is to make it "dance". My dad taught my mom how to shoot by sticking Necco candy wafers in a crack in a log. You either hit it or you don't. Folks would toss blocks of wood into the air but today that is a safety no no.
I'd get a 22 rimfire so you can burn a lot of ammo for a minimal cost.
And...... (there's always an and) I've seen a lot of folks at a range slowly shooting at paper targets. The whole group might be close and off target a few inches and the shooter seems happy with the group but the reality is every shot missed, tight group or not. With a tin can, you either hit it or you don't.
I think it takes more skill to properly shoot a semi-auto as compared to a revolver. If you are a newbie- I'd try a double action revolver and shoot it single action.
Practice with both hands.

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8885950 07/20/23 05:14 PM
BigRon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Many good points in posts above: Drawing from your actual carry holster, malfunction drills, reloads under pressure. Don't laugh at or neglect the groin shots. The pelvis hit takes out locomotion and usually even the ability to stand.

There is no substitute for good training. Even Youtube videos help if they are from reputable trainers like Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch and others. Remember, practice makes perfect is often incorrect. The truth is that practice makes permanent. If the technique is poor, the practice makes poor techniques permanent. Bad habits like covering your off hand with your muzzle during the draw can be ingrained with enough practice.

One small thing that makes you work harder for good hits is to "dress" your targets with old shirts and/or jackets. Bad guys generally don't come equipped with scoring rings or aiming points.

Last edited by BigRon; 07/20/23 05:15 PM.

God is so good to me.
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8886490 07/21/23 02:56 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
What I say herein is not in current favor but...for an actual gun fight, a semi-auto requires you don't "limp wrist" the shot and get a stovepipe jam, so you figure you are Mr. Wonderful, never make a mistake, and then get into a gun fight. Unfortunately you get hit, can't hold correctly, get one shot off and gun jams.
There is something to be said for the revolver, especially with a 6" barrel. Any handgun can malfunction but a revolver seems to work "no matter what".
Much of this depends on the type of situation, you are behind a car and at 20 yards- prob semi auto is best. The bad guy is 10 feet or closer-different.

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: Dave Scott] #8887356 07/23/23 12:15 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Dave Scott
What I say herein is not in current favor but...for an actual gun fight, a semi-auto requires you don't "limp wrist" the shot and get a stovepipe jam, so you figure you are Mr. Wonderful, never make a mistake, and then get into a gun fight. Unfortunately you get hit, can't hold correctly, get one shot off and gun jams.
There is something to be said for the revolver, especially with a 6" barrel. Any handgun can malfunction but a revolver seems to work "no matter what".
Much of this depends on the type of situation, you are behind a car and at 20 yards- prob semi auto is best. The bad guy is 10 feet or closer-different.

Even without 'limp wristing' a semi-auto is more apt to malfunction than a revolver. So malfunction drills should be practiced until they become second nature.

Shooting with your 'weak/support' hand should also be part of your training.

Malfunction and Reload drills can be performed with one hand (albeit at a cost in time) but might save your life.

Most defensive shooting scenarios are not protracted events, but more and more might involve more than one threat. In those cases 'capacity' can be important and using a revolver might be a hindrance there (depending on the semi-auto counterpart).

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8888149 07/24/23 06:47 PM
D
Dave Scott Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I've had two home invasions, first time I had a revolver and second time a semi-auto. Two guys the first time 5 guys the second time. I'm sort of "torn" between semi-auto and revolver. I like the 1911 a lot. On a revolver, if I'm dropping drop to six shots, definately want a 6" barrel.

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: BigPig] #8888199 07/24/23 08:22 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Draw from holster as you would wear the holster, meaning shirt covering it, jacket covering it, etc.

Double tap to chest, then single to head. The single to head is a lot harder then a it sounds when on a shot timer, which I think everybody needs to practice with. Defensive shooting doesn’t require gnats [censored] accuracy.

Shoot and move to cover. Learn to draw and shoot while seated.

Learn to use your vehicle as cover, don’t jump the vehicle, learn triangulation and distance from the vehicle, it’s amazing what 5-10 feet off your vehicle can do for you.

At what distance?

Make America Great Again

Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: J.G.] #8891925 07/30/23 05:15 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Lots of experience and great suggestions above.

For what it's worth, I use a buzzer to reinforce the "go." Otherwise, I get lazy on the draw.

Grandpa taught me the closest help might be in the adjacent county, so for me, that first shot must count. I use a 5", 6-plate speed rack at 25 yards. I load one round in each magazine. From the buzzer, I draw, shoot, mag change, and re-holster. Check the timer. I do that for 18 rounds.

Move back to 35 yards. I have silhouettes bracketed on either side of the plate rack. Load two rounds. From the buzzer, I put 1 round on each. I do that for 14 rounds, with the goal to place the impact just over a plate carrier. Careful to move from one side of the bay to the other so the muscle memory doesn't bite down the road.

Move up to 20 yards. From the low ready, I use weak arm, then strong arm running through the plate rack for the remainder of the box.

If I have time or can afford the ammo, I'll work double taps, transitions, etc.

Pro Deo et patria
Re: What are some good defensive pistol drills? [Re: Inge0071] #8891995 07/30/23 07:52 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Inge0071
Lots of experience and great suggestions above.

For what it's worth, I use a buzzer to reinforce the "go." Otherwise, I get lazy on the draw.

Grandpa taught me the closest help might be in the adjacent county, so for me, that first shot must count. I use a 5", 6-plate speed rack at 25 yards. I load one round in each magazine. From the buzzer, I draw, shoot, mag change, and re-holster. Check the timer. I do that for 18 rounds.

Move back to 35 yards. I have silhouettes bracketed on either side of the plate rack. Load two rounds. From the buzzer, I put 1 round on each. I do that for 14 rounds, with the goal to place the impact just over a plate carrier. Careful to move from one side of the bay to the other so the muscle memory doesn't bite down the road.

Move up to 20 yards. From the low ready, I use weak arm, then strong arm running through the plate rack for the remainder of the box.

If I have time or can afford the ammo, I'll work double taps, transitions, etc.

Good to mix things up for sure. But DO be careful not to train to heavily on low round count/mag change drills.

You don't want to create 'Muscle Memory/Habit' issues doing that.

Same thing for engaging/disengaging manual safeties too much in training (if so equipped). These things can bite you in the butt under the stress of a real, live defensive incident. You don't want to fire ONE round, drop the mag and reload in a gunfight or stressful defensive encounter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide