Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Gun racks or scabbords #8851721 05/13/23 01:58 AM
T
TAB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
What have you built or bought? Pics appreciated!

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8852727 05/15/23 08:05 AM
hetman Offline
"Trash Master"
"Trash Master"
some kind of enclosed scabbards

Koplin gun boots keep dry / protected / mount on almost anything or just throw in back

[Linked Image]

double gun holders on back of UTV :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Lesser mortals are pitied for the misfortune in not being born Texan."

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8852781 05/15/23 02:06 PM
I
ijohnston Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I
I have both. I like my scabbard to keep my guns out of the elements. I typically only put my shotguns in while making my way to the bird field. I use my gun rack for my lever and/or scoped rifle when driving the property or stand in case I see something. Overall I use my gun rack more but really do like the scabbard when I have allot of people I am taking or if it is raining. Hard to tell from the picture, but the gun rack is in the front between driver and passenger. It is bolted to the floor. If I had to change anything I might have the overhead gun rack instead of on the floor. [Linked Image]

Last edited by ijohnston; 05/15/23 02:08 PM.
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8853026 05/15/23 11:38 PM
T
TAB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
All my guns are a bit big for that skinny koplin scabbard, i seen a few before that will hold a big chassis gun like mine but can’t seem to remember the brand, been kicking around making a back board and cover it with foam and some nylon on the inside of a rifle case so I can have something firm to bolt it to.

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8853155 05/16/23 11:38 AM
R
reeder05 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
[Linked Image]

I use this for the clays range and bird hunting. Throw the gun in a light sock to keep the dust off.

Then I use the same setup that ijohnston uses for rifles during hunting season.

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wife has always wanted some Hard 8
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8853158 05/16/23 11:47 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I don’t need a gun rack but I sure want to build one after seeing these,

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8853208 05/16/23 01:46 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I have one of the double gun rack bags mounted on the back of the high seat in my Kubota RTV. I had old school gun rack but the dust completely covered any rifle riding in it. My only complaint with the double gun bag, is if it sets out, it will get wet and seems to take forever to dry.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: PMK] #8853264 05/16/23 03:03 PM
T
TAB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by PMK
I have one of the double gun rack bags mounted on the back of the high seat in my Kubota RTV. I had old school gun rack but the dust completely covered any rifle riding in it. My only complaint with the double gun bag, is if it sets out, it will get wet and seems to take forever to dry.

Yeah I agree and was trying to use hardware that can be removed by hand so I can easily remove it. Some of these waterproofing sprays work well at repelling light rain but definitely won’t stand up to a soaker.
Was thinking about putting it under my roof but its too long and sticks out a good bit plus I am kinda concerned about someone leaving a rifle loaded and the barrel pointed at a head.

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8853371 05/16/23 06:34 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
When I shot sporting clays I used two shotgun scabbards from: www.scabbard.com

Hunting stuff just goes in a soft case and stuck on the front seat barrel down or in the bed.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8853727 05/17/23 01:35 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by TAB
Originally Posted by PMK

Yeah I agree and was trying to use hardware that can be removed by hand so I can easily remove it. Some of these waterproofing sprays work well at repelling light rain but definitely won’t stand up to a soaker.
Was thinking about putting it under my roof but its too long and sticks out a good bit plus I am kinda concerned about someone leaving a rifle loaded and the barrel pointed at a head.

yep, we lost all our shelters to a fire last year, so I took one of the 10x10 easy up canopies to use for cover. even being staked down, had a wind take it out, leaving my RTV fully exposed for a couple of weeks. I hadn't thought about applying Scotchgard or similar to the bag, thanks, I will definitely give that a shot.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8854157 05/18/23 11:44 AM
J
jrfan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Maybe I can figure this out here....When I was in high school, my boss had a lease on the Kennedy in south Texas. I went with him several times to "hunt". I was mostly there just to drive his motor home and keep him company when he didn't have anyone else to go with him.

Anyway, I digress...he had an International Scout that he used on the lease. He would lay the windshield down and had a "scabbard" that went across the hood. It reminded me of an old school twin air mattress with the rolled pleats, but it wasn't that thick and was about the same size as the hood. I don't recall if it was inflated or a foam insert. He would lay the rifles across (muzzle pointed forward) this on the hood and they would stay put for the most part. You could also insert them into the "scabbard" if it started to rain or were on terrain that would allow the rifles to move around.

I have never seen one of these since (well over 30 years ago), and I have not been able to find anything similar in my limited google search. I wouldn't be surprised it he had this custom made and it was a one off. I'd love to have one if anyone has a clue of what I am talking about????

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: jrfan] #8854163 05/18/23 11:59 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by jrfan
Maybe I can figure this out here....When I was in high school, my boss had a lease on the Kennedy in south Texas. I went with him several times to "hunt". I was mostly there just to drive his motor home and keep him company when he didn't have anyone else to go with him.

Anyway, I digress...he had an International Scout that he used on the lease. He would lay the windshield down and had a "scabbard" that went across the hood. It reminded me of an old school twin air mattress with the rolled pleats, but it wasn't that thick and was about the same size as the hood. I don't recall if it was inflated or a foam insert. He would lay the rifles across (muzzle pointed forward) this on the hood and they would stay put for the most part. You could also insert them into the "scabbard" if it started to rain or were on terrain that would allow the rifles to move around.

I have never seen one of these since (well over 30 years ago), and I have not been able to find anything similar in my limited google search. I wouldn't be surprised it he had this custom made and it was a one off. I'd love to have one if anyone has a clue of what I am talking about????

'Know exactly what you're talking about. It is (or was) a south Texas thing. I have also wondered who made them. The ones I remember seemed they were filled with sand?

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: Creekrunner] #8854165 05/18/23 12:04 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

'Know exactly what you're talking about. It is (or was) a south Texas thing. I have also wondered who made them. The ones I remember seemed they were filled with sand?

Me also. We had one on the CJ 6 and I believe it came from Raymondville.

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: Hudbone] #8854190 05/18/23 12:52 PM
J
jrfan Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Me also. We had one on the CJ 6 and I believe it came from Raymondville.

They could have been filled with sand, but I don't remember it being heavy. Makes sense though.

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8854203 05/18/23 01:31 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Not sand. I believe it was just a tube of padding underneath the canvas.

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8855359 05/20/23 08:42 PM
T
TAB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
I fabricated a gun rack, with these rubber claw grips turned out ok..

Attached Files IMG_4699.jpegIMG_4697.jpegIMG_4700.jpeg
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8855663 05/21/23 04:42 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
[Linked Image]
Kolpins on the front make it easy to carry/access long tools or rifles.

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8855750 05/21/23 09:45 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
There was a company that use to make a plastic u shaped scabbard that fit between the seat and console of a truck. I think they're out of business. I sure would like to find one.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: Stompy] #8855809 05/21/23 11:35 PM
T
TAB Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Stompy
There was a company that use to make a plastic u shaped scabbard that fit between the seat and console of a truck. I think they're out of business. I sure would like to find one.

There is some nice ones that attach to the back of the seat, especially if you have a crew cab but I can’t remember the name of the company that makes it

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: Stompy] #8856023 05/22/23 12:31 PM
B
batman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B

I know where two are……..in Mexico smile

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8856048 05/22/23 01:14 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Gunsaddle, we have one.
You can buy leather between the seat types now.
https://www.mhsleather.com/products/pickup-scabbard
Others also made and varying prices.

Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: batman] #8856716 05/23/23 05:35 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by batman

I know where two are……..in Mexico smile

Snag me one,,he won't notice roflmao
He's got the only ones I've ever seen.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: Wytex] #8858690 05/27/23 04:16 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Wytex
Gunsaddle, we have one.
You can buy leather between the seat types now.
https://www.mhsleather.com/products/pickup-scabbard
Others also made and varying prices.

Beautiful work. up

[Linked Image]
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8858854 05/27/23 05:04 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Both, sorta'. I've tried a few variations of most things mentioned above. I like to have a rifle ready to go within reach. I made this simple rest that has worked out to be very secure and not scratch my barrel. The rifle that I'll be hunting with for the day on set ups rides in this Kolpin boot that I modified by trashing the internal sleeve and finding an average zip up case that pads and cushions while also keeping the dust off. My rifles have over sized bolt knobs so this boot with the zip up case I keep in it works out great. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Gun racks or scabbords [Re: TAB] #8870138 06/18/23 10:45 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
the reason I do not use a boot is because I do not want to be riding on our ranch and not be able to get to my rifle is something is spotted - I carry my guns in my Kubota right behind my head on the back window - I can stop and access it immediately when needed - and there is no dust inside the cab

You can't fix stupid
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide