Print Thread
Mule Deer Recommendations #8824181 03/27/23 04:46 AM
E
ETXRaider Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
I’m trying to find an outfitter to book a Mule Deer hunt this fall or next. I have several points built up in Colorado but would be willing to look elsewhere also. Looking for outfitters that people have had a good personal experience with. Not looking to kill an absolute giant just want to hunt a new species.

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8825019 03/28/23 05:25 PM
Ramsey Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Online Content
Pepe' Le Pew
Try New Mexico, I will post the guide referral if I find him

Big Beckett!!
Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8825032 03/28/23 05:59 PM
T
Trophy Snipe Hunter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
Check out Mullie Mike on this forum. I noticed that he had a West Texas mule deer spot free up recently. Typically he is sold out for years in advance.

“It is not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste a lot of it.” - Seneca
Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8825048 03/28/23 06:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ETXRaider
I’m trying to find an outfitter to book a Mule Deer hunt this fall or next. I have several points built up in Colorado but would be willing to look elsewhere also. Looking for outfitters that people have had a good personal experience with. Not looking to kill an absolute giant just want to hunt a new species.

NM private land is OTC, As far as guides you will just have to call through

as far as CO Id call Timberline Outfiitters out of Bayfield

Any thing with decent animals in TX is expensive, Wildlife Systems, High West Etc.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8825239 03/29/23 02:01 AM
E
ETXRaider Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
E
Have you used timberline previously? Or have any connections that have?

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8826933 04/01/23 01:44 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Mule deer hunting is SO hit and miss these days. You will definitely get what you pay for re; a nice buck or a long, expensive hike with no deer. Look for private land hunts.

After seeing the bucks taken with Mulie Mike in Texas, I would look closely at his hunts. But hurry , his hunts sell fast.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8827016 04/01/23 04:54 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Any thing with decent animals in TX is expensive, Wildlife Systems, High West Etc.

IMO it’s better to spend one more day on the road and hunt somewhere else. Unless your getting a hookup, Texas is spendy for what you get

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8827046 04/01/23 06:37 PM
D
DUKFVR Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Tye Lightfoot in NM. We have hunted lope & oryx with him several times. Great outfit.
575-649-1952 Diamond T Trophy Hunts

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: txtrophy85] #8827075 04/01/23 08:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

IMO it’s better to spend one more day on the road and hunt somewhere else. Unless your getting a hookup, Texas is spendy for what you get

there are some good ranches in NM. Season dates are rough though. Jan I'm normally targeting 170 -190 on public

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8827077 04/01/23 08:19 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Have you used timberline previously? Or have any connections that have?

yes.

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8827546 04/03/23 12:22 AM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Anybody looked at tribal lands in other states? I haven’t done it for years but have scored on elk, antelope and mule deer in New Mexico and Arizona.

It will give you a good reason to get your butt in shape.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 04/03/23 12:25 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: txtrophy85] #8835988 04/18/23 04:57 PM
B
blancobuster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
B

I have spent a lot of money trying to get a crack at mature buck on public hunts the past 5 years in NW Colorado...gear, gas, the typical stuff not outfitted. Mind you these are hunts that take 0 points for a resident to draw, but I have not gotten a crack at what I seek yet. In fact, I have probably only seen about 2 dozen bucks in the caliber I am talking about and never during season on public land. Now I am not the best hunter, but I don't have an issue filling elk tags every year in these same units. Mule deer out here are in tough shape, pressure is crazy high, and the quality on private land is down also so an outfitted hunt doesn't guarantee much other than maybe I shot at a buck. Genetics are here but the age class is not. We will see what happens this year as I plan to burn 3 points on a tag that would take you TX residents about a decade worth of points, but this winter does not give me high hopes and I may not draw the tag if they cut a lot.

I just booked a hunt with Mulie_Mike for January 2025 on his rut hunt and I am super excited. I am spending the extra day to drive, but I am going the opposite way as you. Another aside, but I think the value of some of these mule deer hunts in Texas is excellent compared to some of the prices paid on a Mexico hunt. From the reading and looking I have done, mule deer management in Texas is just beginning to hit its stride. The lack of winter sure eases the burden, hopefully CWD can be managed and I believe that the lower densities of deer in the desert will also help keep CWD in check as opposed to up here where some units have as high as 25% positivity rates.

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: blancobuster] #8836049 04/18/23 06:40 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by blancobuster

I have spent a lot of money trying to get a crack at mature buck on public hunts the past 5 years in NW Colorado...gear, gas, the typical stuff not outfitted. Mind you these are hunts that take 0 points for a resident to draw, but I have not gotten a crack at what I seek yet. In fact, I have probably only seen about 2 dozen bucks in the caliber I am talking about and never during season on public land. Now I am not the best hunter, but I don't have an issue filling elk tags every year in these same units. Mule deer out here are in tough shape, pressure is crazy high, and the quality on private land is down also so an outfitted hunt doesn't guarantee much other than maybe I shot at a buck. Genetics are here but the age class is not. We will see what happens this year as I plan to burn 3 points on a tag that would take you TX residents about a decade worth of points, but this winter does not give me high hopes and I may not draw the tag if they cut a lot.

I just booked a hunt with Mulie_Mike for January 2025 on his rut hunt and I am super excited. I am spending the extra day to drive, but I am going the opposite way as you. Another aside, but I think the value of some of these mule deer hunts in Texas is excellent compared to some of the prices paid on a Mexico hunt. From the reading and looking I have done, mule deer management in Texas is just beginning to hit its stride. The lack of winter sure eases the burden, hopefully CWD can be managed and I believe that the lower densities of deer in the desert will also help keep CWD in check as opposed to up here where some units have as high as 25% positivity rates.

they are in trouble in certain areas because CPWD upped tag numbers significantly and moved season dates back to increase age class take.

with that said Private is private. The increased pressure has only made private better

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8838169 04/22/23 04:35 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
KB Outdoors in Colorado is good talk to Kyle, he also get LO tags I'm hunting with him again this fall.

Re: Mule Deer Recommendations [Re: ETXRaider] #8851873 05/13/23 01:04 PM
K
Kraken Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
K
There are some really good deer and outfitters in the Trans Pecos and Panhandle.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide