Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Where are the hogs? #8838254 04/22/23 01:01 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
All of my hog hunting buddies and I are having a tough time finding hogs up in the NE (Bowie, Lamar and Red River counties) now and it seems the population has been in decline for the past 2 years. I'm blaming a lot of it on a local guy who does lots of helicopter shooting as well as lots more hunters now having thermal.

Also the hogs I do find are now completely nocturnal (I probably don't see more than one group of hogs per month during daylight hours now) and MUCH more wary than they were a couple years ago.

Is anyone else seeing this trend?

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838302 04/22/23 02:13 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Do you think the hogs will come back if the local guy were to cease helo hunting?

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838312 04/22/23 02:41 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Hunting pressure certainly has an effect. Hogs are pretty dang smart. Weather and food can cause them to migrate as well. I'm assuming the helo guy is a commercial operator and is in the air a lot. I don't know if the hunters with thermals would have any major influence. Hogs reproduce so fast.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838371 04/22/23 04:07 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There's been a major decline in my area the last 3 years.

I think your summation of why is correct.

I saw the helicopter 2019 and 2020 winters. No one ever called asking for permission on my land. I would have given it to them. But maybe only 70 acres wasn't worth the phone call.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838482 04/22/23 07:49 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Well, we are not helicopter hunting in my area, so that is a non-issue, but we are missing hogs, particularly on properties we hunt extensively.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838511 04/22/23 09:40 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Same boat here. I have killed probably 100 pigs since I started there 6 years ago. I think the pressure is on and they know it.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838559 04/22/23 11:21 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
No shortage here. The bacon bits even clean up under my bird feeder.

[Linked Image]

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8838565 04/22/23 11:28 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
Well, we are not helicopter hunting in my area, so that is a non-issue, but we are missing hogs, particularly on properties we hunt extensively.

Couple cold February's.

But, more likely last summer's drought got a bunch of em. At least that's one theory.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: J.G.] #8838694 04/23/23 03:01 AM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by J.G.

Couple cold February's.

But, more likely last summer's drought got a bunch of em. At least that's one theory.

Not only that, but it kept the sows from reproducing. They tend to not get pregnant when when prolonged nutritional stress kicks in and with the drought we saw the fat stores on hogs go down to next to nothing in many cases. When under such stress, females tend not to ovulate and hence cannot get pregnant. Boars will tend to have significantly reduced sperm counts as well, and so their chances for successful mating also drop even if they have a viable female.

So not only would some hogs not survived the drought, but of those that did, far fewer will reproducing successfully and so there were 1-2 generations that were far smaller than they would have been under normal circumstances.

No doubt, there were parts of the state where the hogs did just fine, despite the drought, such as along permanent waterways/source and where farmers irrigated fields and provided the hogs with plenty of calories. Some areas of the state were not impacted nearly as hard as other areas.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8838696 04/23/23 03:04 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by J.G.

Couple cold February's.

Not only that, but it kept the sows from reproducing. They tend to not get pregnant when when prolonged nutritional stress kicks in and with the drought we saw the fat stores on hogs go down to next to nothing in many cases. When under such stress, females tend not to ovulate and hence cannot get pregnant. Boars will tend to have significantly reduced sperm counts as well, and so their chances for successful mating also drop even if they have a viable female.

So not only would some hogs not survived the drought, but of those that did, far fewer will reproducing successfully and so there were 1-2 generations that were far smaller than they would have been under normal circumstances.

No doubt, there were parts of the state where the hogs did just fine, despite the drought, such as along permanent waterways/source and where farmers irrigated fields and provided the hogs with plenty of calories. Some areas of the state were not impacted nearly as hard as other areas.

So now seems like a good time to keep the hammer down on them! As 45 has said, when you see a competitor drowning, stick a garden hose in their mouth and turn it on.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838704 04/23/23 03:15 AM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
^^^^this! I have seen a decline in the last year, but we've still got plenty left that need killing.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838738 04/23/23 05:27 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
We are seeing the same, my pig numbers are way down

-historic winter a few years ago
-last years historic summer
-the drought and all our surrounding wheat fields look as bad as they ever have
-the thermal game is probably more popular than ever

Those are my best guesses

In January 2023, we probably got 15 and had to work really hard, February maybe 5, then I went last month one night and didn’t see a single pig. And the place I hunt I used to see 50-75 EVERY TIME I went.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838781 04/23/23 12:47 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
No, which means you are exactly right as it relates to your unique situation. Your ranch hasn't been as impacted by the drought in any way like our Briscoe County lease has. I do know the big freeze a few years back dealt a blow as shown by the pile of dead cattle your neighbor gathered immediately afterwards but there have been plenty of breeding seasons and litters to recover from that. Our range conditions are awful, but there is still plenty of water for drinking, but no rainfall for natural browse. Our hog population is constant if not on the rise. We put very little hunting pressure on our place, no thermal or helicopter hunting anywhere near us and we have plenty of hogs to hunt. Currently I'm seeing the normal number of litters. Our hogs are just as adaptive as yours. Ours have found a way to make it on very little food during the tough times. We have one feeder for hogs on 16k acres and when it's running for hunting we murder them there, only killing large, lone boars. Hogs in your area have adapted to the helo and thermal hunting by leaving your area, staying in cover or holding their position when they hear the Mule or get a scent.

How has your deer population been during the last two years? Judging by your pic's of the bucks you killed, it doesn't look like rack development has suffered at all. If your deer population and their habits are unchanged during this time of hog decline, your onto something solid in your belief that it's related to the hunting pressure from helo and thermal hunting.

The helo in your area really has to cover a lot of territory to hunt it. True he owns ALOT of acerage, but it's not all contiguous for hunting, creating a lot of pressure flying from pasture to pasture. I base these two statements on my reasonable assumption that I know who responsible for the air traffic and the lead hitting the ground.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 04/23/23 12:52 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8838827 04/23/23 01:51 PM
Wilson Combat Offline OP
Boar Meister
OP Offline
Boar Meister
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
No, which means you are exactly right as it relates to your unique situation. Your ranch hasn't been as impacted by the drought in any way like our Briscoe County lease has. I do know the big freeze a few years back dealt a blow as shown by the pile of dead cattle your neighbor gathered immediately afterwards but there have been plenty of breeding seasons and litters to recover from that. Our range conditions are awful, but there is still plenty of water for drinking, but no rainfall for natural browse. Our hog population is constant if not on the rise. We put very little hunting pressure on our place, no thermal or helicopter hunting anywhere near us and we have plenty of hogs to hunt. Currently I'm seeing the normal number of litters. Our hogs are just as adaptive as yours. Ours have found a way to make it on very little food during the tough times. We have one feeder for hogs on 16k acres and when it's running for hunting we murder them there, only killing large, lone boars. Hogs in your area have adapted to the helo and thermal hunting by leaving your area, staying in cover or holding their position when they hear the Mule or get a scent.

How has your deer population been during the last two years? Judging by your pic's of the bucks you killed, it doesn't look like rack development has suffered at all. If your deer population and their habits are unchanged during this time of hog decline, your onto something solid in your belief that it's related to the hunting pressure from helo and thermal hunting.

The helo in your area really has to cover a lot of territory to hunt it. True he owns ALOT of acerage, but it's not all contiguous for hunting, creating a lot of pressure flying from pasture to pasture. I base these two statements on my reasonable assumption that I know who responsible for the air traffic and the lead hitting the ground.

I don't think it has anything to do with habitat since our deer, turkey and coon populations are all doing VERY well. However I'm sure we lost hogs during the brutal BIG FREEZE a couple years ago.

Our helicopter guy flies all 3 counties where I have hunting buds and also up into OK (where he crashed once) so he covers a LOT of ground. About 4 weeks ago they flew my perimeter two days in a row for 6hrs a day!!! So this is what I'm primarily blaming our local reduced #s on.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838830 04/23/23 01:54 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Wilson Combat
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I don't think it has anything to do with habitat since our deer, turkey and coon populations are all doing VERY well. However I'm sure we lost hogs during the brutal BIG FREEZE a couple years ago.

Our helicopter guy flies all 3 counties where I have hunting buds and also up into OK (where he crashed once) so he covers a LOT of ground. About 4 weeks ago they flew my perimeter two days in a row for 6hrs a day!!! So this is what I'm primarily blaming our local reduced #s on.

Hmmm...........solution?

Our rancher uses a helo twice per year to gather cattle. No one shooting hogs from the air but you can still count on not seeing hogs for a couple of days after this. Helo activity like you have sounds like a real issue.

Last edited by onlysmith&wesson; 04/23/23 01:56 PM.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8838934 04/23/23 04:23 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Don't know the reason but hog sign is way down around Navarro Mills lake. I did see a big one disable a small car when hit and killed. Car on one side of the road and the hog on the other.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8839193 04/24/23 12:10 AM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Lots of rain lately here has grass and weeds tall and thick so I'm not seeing them.
Still seeing a few acorns laying around too although they are getting pretty thin but the pigs seem to be keeping to the creek bottoms and low lands.
My property is mostly open with some small brush and about a mile long and 1/2 mile wide with deep woods on two of the long sides and one short side follows Walnut Creek most of the way around.
There are 3 major travel trails across my place and there are lots of deer, pig and a few coyote tracks on the trail but they only seem to be passing thru right now.
As summer and dry weather sets in, they will spread out again.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8839263 04/24/23 02:16 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My neighbor has the sounders, and I don’t know why they don’t visit my feeders. But, I do have this fellow that has finally started showing up at a reasonable hour. Only problem is that I’m not there right now.
[Linked Image]

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8839411 04/24/23 01:25 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Hogs down on our ranch too since the big freeze. I wouldn’t say the numbers are “low” but definitely less. We’ve hunted them hard and have taken out between 30-50 each year the last couple years.

Still see a few sounders down in the creek which normally has running water except for this last year. There is still plenty of water in all the tanks though. Upland hogs are fewer and farther between.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8839430 04/24/23 01:48 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I thought it was just me...I haven't seen a hog on my place for several months, although still see sign occasionally...just not to the levels of the past. More good news...my turkey population is the best it has been in the 8+ years we've owned the property.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8839555 04/24/23 04:33 PM
S
Sick Train Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Same at our little place, hogs are gone which is crazy because the last 15 plus years it's been overrun with lots of them.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Dalroo] #8839653 04/24/23 07:04 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by Dalroo
I thought it was just me...I haven't seen a hog on my place for several months, although still see sign occasionally...just not to the levels of the past. More good news...my turkey population is the best it has been in the 8+ years we've owned the property.

The fewer hogs you have, the greater number of turkey eggs that will hatch!!

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8839901 04/25/23 01:58 AM
R
RHutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
We have way more hogs and less turkeys this year thanlast

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8840119 04/25/23 01:59 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Nowadays, if I see many hogs, they are on any property that isn't one I hunt. The hogs seem to know where the pressure is and isn't. So they hang out where they are safe, on sanctuary properties. These hogs are adjacent to 2 properties I hunt, but the landowner isn't a big hunter and doesn't allow people to hunt or trap his property. My landowners report seeing hogs in this pasture just about any time of the day.

Re: Where are the hogs? [Re: Wilson Combat] #8840124 04/25/23 02:08 PM
Nolanco Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
DNS: That must mean the non-hunting landowner has a very high tolerance for hog damage. Hard to figure.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide