Print Thread
Pig attack? #8835824 04/18/23 12:28 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Anybody have actual experience or knowledge of people being attacked by pigs?

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8835831 04/18/23 12:39 PM
J
J Hills Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
There always a woman killed a couple of years ago NE of Houston. This raises some questions.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/ne...-woman-in-Anahuac-officials-15072296.php

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8835836 04/18/23 12:57 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
There are only 4 or 5 known actual feral hog attacks in the US resulting in death, the lady in Houston being one of them, but also one that is problematic. Whether she was attacked or was simply scavenged alive is unknown, something domestic hogs have been known to do when farmers go down in pens with heart attacks and such. She was definitely killed by the hogs, but also had a head injury likely from a fall. Whether she fell and the pigs came upon her or the pigs came upon her and made her fall, nobody knows as there were no witnesses.

Otherwise, nearly all so-called pig attacks seem to be associated with seem to do with people trying to cause them harm or go hands-on with them. For example, there was a hog dogger on another forum going on about how a hog attacked one of hit catch dogs. Sounds like the pig came to his house and attacked his dog, right? Nope, the catch dog was injured while biting and trying to catch the pig.

At least one of the so-called attacked happened on a nature trail here in north Texas. The attack was described as unprovoked and it may have been or is just may have been from the human's perspective. In other words, the human may still have done something wrong to make the pig feel threatened, even if it was unintentional, sort of like the people who try to pet the elk and bison in Yellowstone and get "attacked" when they unwittingly try to get too close.

Here is a pretty neat article of Old World instances, but references some data from the US as well.
https://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1150&context=icwdm_wdmconfproc

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8835842 04/18/23 01:07 PM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
The family of the lady killed in Anahuac felt that the hogs came after she was dead.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836024 04/18/23 05:39 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've had 2 charge me, both sows. I wounded a pig that was the third pig I shot at (I dropped the first 2), when the group ran away. I hit her further back and could tell she was wounded. It was close to dark and I went looking for her. She jumped up about 15-20 yards away from me charging me, when I was tracking her. I quickly went to my G20 10mm on my hip, and several fast rounds changed her direction the other way. I finished her off. That one scared me when she popped up and charged.

The other one was scary, but hilarious after. We were turkey hunting and a large group of pigs passed in front of us. All I had was 3 rounds of #4 shot in the shotgun. We flanked the group, and began shooting at them from about 20-30 yards. I dropped a small pig, then shot a larger sow that wounded her. The same large sow was running full speed, and circled directly at me. She charged directly at me. I had one round left, and waited for her to get closer. I put the front bead on her forehead and shot from about 10-15 yards. She dropped and slid to about 5 feet in front of me, just like the buffalo did in the movie Dances with Wolves. It was very intense. My buddies shotgun jammed after his first shot, and he didn't get it working in time to shoot again. We had pigs of all sizes running in all directions at us. But we got 3 pigs in all.

Just this last season, my daughter and I were walking to the stand for the morning hunt, in the dark. I turned the corner on the road walking in, and could immediately tell there was a large group of pigs bedded down in the woods in front of us. We were about 40-50 yards away, but we were going to have to walk right past them where they were. I figured we would just creep on by. As we got closer, I heard a deep growl and moan. It was a large boar growling at us. We kept inching closer and his growl got louder and more aggressive. We stopped, and my 15 year old daughter is now clinching onto me. I decided it was best to go back to the 4 wheeler and drive to the stand. I have seen several VERY large boars on camera and one while hunting. So I knew about the size of boar I'd be dealing with. That was one of the few times I've truly be nervous in the woods. I don't know what would have happened had we kept walking, but the growls made it clear he didn't want us there.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836180 04/18/23 10:17 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
I had one I thought was going to shoot me with my own rifle.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/8087937/

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836182 04/18/23 10:19 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Chad, I walked into a bunch of them about 10 years ago. I had shut the tractor down at dark. Rather than disconnect everything, I shut it down and decided to walk back. It was dark and I walked right into the middle of about a zillion or so in the dirt road. Yep, in the middle. They erupted squealing and went everywhere. Probably lasted less than 5 seconds. But, 5 seconds can seem to be a long time. None bumped into me.

That pales to the time 4 of us were walking in before daylight to elk hunt in New Mexico. Somehow we walked into a herd of bedded elk. The elk blew up and went crashing into trees all around us. None of us were touched. We saw the GW later and told him about it. He said it once happened to him and that he had soiled his undies.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 04/18/23 10:23 PM.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836192 04/18/23 10:35 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My grandfather said a hog ran him up a stump once. And I’ve mentioned the hog that ran at me. I had shot it in the face, it spun and ran into a fence, re-spun toward me. I don’t think it was trying to attack me. Probably couldn’t see me. Anyway, scared the crap out of me, and I just froze. So much for me being brave and reactive. The hog could have had me if he wanted to. No doubt.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836196 04/18/23 10:41 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
I have had them growl and snap their jaws at my in the dark. When I catch them in the trap, and they are cornered, they will almost always charge, and if it weren't for the fence, I am 100% sure that it would be an attack. Fight or Flight. If they feel that Flight is no longer the better option, I have no doubt they will fight.

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836203 04/18/23 10:51 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When I have hogs in the trap, they do normally attack the trap trying to get me. Since I want to shoot them between the eyes with my 22, they are right where I want them.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836234 04/18/23 11:56 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I’ve had a big one come within 10 yards of a pig feeder pen I was working in. Didn’t want to leave and my pistol was 30 yards away in the truck. A little uncomfortable. One time mistake!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836456 04/19/23 03:25 PM
D
duffas Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Friend had one he released from trap, shot at it but pistol jammed. Said he never cleared a jam so fast.

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836459 04/19/23 03:30 PM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
Never attacked but she tried, I had previously shot her in the hind end running at about 200 yards w my 22/250

She piled up in some brush so I waited and thought she was dead…she wasn’t but didn’t have the hind end to get me

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836463 04/19/23 03:34 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
My nephew was out tooling around in his Polaris one afternoon a while back when he caught a large sow out in the middle of a pasture. He didn't have a rifle with him but had a 9mm on his hip. He gave chase, shooting on the roll and hit the pig several times but not with an immediately lethal shot. The last shot evidently hit the spine and left the hog with no control over its hind quarters. He circled back around to give the crippled sow mercy but when he pulled up to her she had a burst of will and energy and tried climb up into the Polaris with him. That musta been some rodeo.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8836713 04/19/23 11:33 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I was charged 2 years ago and it was very exciting to say the least. My buddy and I were stalking up on an old boar. We got to about 50 yards and he took a shot at him and hit him in the shoulder. It just pissed him off and he took a beeline right at me. It was amazing how fast he was upon me because I shot him twice at about 5 to 7 yards. He was that fast! Thankfully I was pissed about leaving my safety on earlier that day and missing a pig so now I just click that safety off as soon as I hear or see a pig. If I wouldnt have done that I doubt I would have got those shots off. New rule for me. Click that safety off anytime pigs are around.

GO TRUMP!
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8837394 04/20/23 11:25 PM
D
Dave Davidson Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Bigfoot, that’s why I carry a revolver

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Bigfoot] #8837704 04/21/23 02:12 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Bigfoot
My buddy and I were stalking up on an old boar. We got to about 50 yards and he took a shot at him and hit him in the shoulder. It just pissed him off and he took a beeline right at me. It was amazing how fast he was upon me because I shot him twice at about 5 to 7 yards. He was that fast! Thankfully I was pissed about leaving my safety on earlier that day and missing a pig so now I just click that safety off as soon as I hear or see a pig. If I wouldnt have done that I doubt I would have got those shots off. New rule for me. Click that safety off anytime pigs are around.

When you get fully up to speed with the controls on your rifle, using the safety will be second nature, something you will be able to do without conscious thought and be able to go from a carried rifle on safe to a shouldered, ready to fire rifle off safe with no loss of time. The same would go for a pistol, though it may take a bit longer if you have to draw, get on moving target, and fire, but that is going to be because of the draw.

Hogs are fast. At 20 mph average speed over the distance of 50 yards, they can cover it in less than 5 seconds. At 30 mph, they can cover it in just over 3 seconds. It would not be inconceivable for you to need to take a couple of seconds to get the rifle shouldered an on target to fire, which is still going to be faster than going to a secondary backup gun for most folks, but will result in using up a significant amount of your available time. The result can be like what you experienced, a dead hog at very close range.

I don't like to get closer than 75 yards and would prefer to not be closer than 100 if I am on the ground with them. Even at that distance, it is not uncommon to have hogs run by me within a few feet, but the farther away you are, the less likely that is to happen.

Wounded animals do sometimes attempt to defend themselves: moose, elk, deer, hogs, bear, and even little critters, etc. will all do it on occasion.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8837708 04/21/23 02:14 PM
V
Vern1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
8-10 years back, I shot a nice spotted boar about 180 pounds at 100 yards with a 300 Blackout.
Good CNS neck shot - or so I thought.
As I was walking towards him laying on the ground, the sucker jumped up like somebody just slapped him, looked my way and started popping his jaws.
I have learned my lesson about hunting for a downed hog and had rifle up and ready.
Shot him at about 20 feet, he went down again but jumped up and started to charge.
I shot him two more times as he jumped up and finally put him down.

I sold the 300 Blackout upper after that and made myself some new rules for pig hunting:
1. Take enough gun - the 300 is cool, accurate and under powered for ground work.
2. Be extremely careful when looking for a downed hog in daylight.
3. If it's dark, don't bother looking...if it's down, it will still be there in the morning .
4. I only go for CNS shots and even if they drop like a rock, I stay in the stand for 15-20 minutes

Take these 4 rules with a grain of salt as I'm 70 and don't care to go toe to toe with a pig on the ground so I am more careful now.

Cheers,
Vern1
Texans since The Old 300 in 1824
NRA Lifetime Member
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #8838102 04/22/23 01:44 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
[quote=Bigfoot]
Hogs are fast. At 20 mph average speed over the distance of 50 yards, they can cover it in less than 5 seconds. At 30 mph, they can cover it in just over 3 seconds.

What scares me about Feral Hogs is not their top speed but their ability to go from ZERO to Full Speed in about 3 jumps (no kidding). They can accelerate like crazy.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8838119 04/22/23 02:05 AM
S
stillhntr Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Jumping them up in the cedar in daylight you might have less than 10 yds between you and them. I use a semi auto shot gun with 00 and safety off. Will definitely get your heart rate up

Hunt Outside Of The Box

Re: Pig attack? [Re: Dave Davidson] #8838510 04/22/23 09:38 PM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
They'll bum rush you if they feel trapped but they just want to get away. I was bow hunting a couple years ago and busted a sleeping sounder. I crouched down and was face to face with a big sow at less than 10 yards. After a 30 second stare down she gave the ole grunt and bolted. Same area a year before I accidentally separated a sow from her very new piglets that were bedded down. After a while i realized she was probably watching me and i noped out of there.

Re: Pig attack? [Re: flintknapper] #8838589 04/23/23 12:20 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy
[quote=Bigfoot]
Hogs are fast. At 20 mph average speed over the distance of 50 yards, they can cover it in less than 5 seconds. At 30 mph, they can cover it in just over 3 seconds.

What scares me about Feral Hogs is not their top speed but their ability to go from ZERO to Full Speed in about 3 jumps (no kidding). They can accelerate like crazy.

They are super quick to top speed. I had video of two hogs that I shot, we watched it in super-slow-motion and the other pigs moved 15ft in the first second (that was from the shot, respond, and move 15ft), the other pigs were clear of the feeder area in just less than three seconds.
I got two of the pigs, but I had to be quick. That was with a shotgun from a bow blind.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide