Print Thread
Baiting Hogs #8833031 04/13/23 10:16 AM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
Does baiting help to bring in hogs that aren't visiting the feeder/area?

Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: Sick Train] #8833093 04/13/23 12:14 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Sort of. The hogs have to visit the area in order to know the bait is present. It isn't like if you put out corn, store bought attractants, or homemade attractants that you will all of a sudden be getting hogs coming in from miles away. Once they do find it, they will come back for it. However, if you are setting up in a new location where you currently don't have known hog activity, it can take a while before the find it, even weeks.

The real questions are does it work like magic? No.
Do you need magical miracle recipes? No. Plain corn works.
Does koolaid, jello, beer, etc. soured corn "really bring them in"? No more so than regular corn (otherwise we would all be using this stuff all the time).
Does it need a strong smell to work? No.

Maybe you are asking because your buddy invited you hunting at his new place and y'all are going out to hunt it for the first time this weekend. You can put out bait when you get there, but unless the place already has hogs, there is a very good chance you won't be on hogs this weekend at your new spot. You may get lucky, or it may take a while to work.

Set up a feeder spitting corn and eventually you will have hogs coming, once they learn the source.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: Sick Train] #8833592 04/14/23 01:34 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I have way more success baiting strategic areas with the road feeder when hogs aren’t frequenting feeders.

Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: SapperTitan] #8833596 04/14/23 01:39 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
I have way more success baiting strategic areas with the road feeder when hogs aren’t frequenting feeders.

That's something we've never done. I'd be interested in knowing more about what you mean and how and why you're doing this.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: RiverRider] #8833599 04/14/23 01:45 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider

That's something we've never done. I'd be interested in knowing more about what you mean and how and why you're doing this.

We have 9 feeders on 5500 acres. We get hogs at all the feeders but when I’m not seeing them on camera I have certain spots that are close to deep canyons and thicker areas, close to tanks, and close to fence lines where we don’t have feeders. I will bait those areas and many times I will kill hogs like that, that aren’t hitting the normal feeder locations. I think it works better on pressured hogs. Hogs learn feeders can be unsafe but when they just find a pile of corn on the ground they seem to not be as weary.

Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: Sick Train] #8833601 04/14/23 01:53 AM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Yeah...that makes sense. They like surprises just like I do. smile

So, do you bait long segments of road or trail, or just short segments? Randomly, or based on some kind of supposition?

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: SapperTitan] #8833670 04/14/23 10:07 AM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S

This would work well if I had lots of acreage but I'm only on 20 acres with one feeder. I've always had tons of hogs visiting my feeder throughout the years except for this year. These were the last couple of pics I saved before I moved my camera to a different property. Couple of months ago I moved the camera back have not seen hogs like this. I did have some dozer work done clearing some brush so not sure if that is something that might have played a part.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: RiverRider] #8833959 04/14/23 07:04 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Yeah...that makes sense. They like surprises just like I do. smile

So, do you bait long segments of road or trail, or just short segments? Randomly, or based on some kind of supposition?

Usually small areas where I would expect a hog to travel. Heavily used fencline crossings, well used trails close to water or cover. I use plain corn no attractants bc attractants imo can actually scare hogs off bc it’s not something they are use to. Spread the corn out so it takes longer for them to eat if they find it. I like to try and bait a little ways into the open so I can get as many follow up shots as possible after the first kill. I also take into account my approach to the baited sight based on cover, wind, and how close o can get the side by side.

Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: Sick Train] #8833965 04/14/23 07:15 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Thanks. I'll put that in my memory banks (and hope it doesn't get lost) for future reference. I'll talk to my nephew (he's the landlord) about it and see if he's open to it.

He's a hard headed little cuss...I have no idea how that trait originated since there are no other hard headed individuals in our clan. wink

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Baiting Hogs [Re: Sick Train] #8835112 04/17/23 10:03 AM
S
Sick Train Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
S
I was planning on heading out this weekend coming up to try and bait the area just to see if anything changes but there is a chance for rain so might have to wait. I do have some trails and fence line crossings that I could throw down some and give a try when I do head back out there.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide